What would YOU do?

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost
Just curious with this scenario which is also a true story.

I was managing an apartment complex (one of many over the years when I was much younger) and as I walked the car parking spaces, I always checked the overhead storage bins that hung out a bit over the hood of vehicles parked there by the tenants. Some had them padlocked..some didn't bother.

Well, one day, I was walking the grounds and just checking to make sure tenants were parked in their allotted spaces and noticed one bin that was a tad ajar with stuffing like a sleeping bag was poking out of it. No car was there. When I got up to it and pulled it open a tad to push back the stuffing inside, I heard "you BITCH. I'm gonna kill you!" and this huge black dude comes rolling out of it. I freaked and ran elbows to assholes and I could hear him hollering behind me but he stopped before he got to the center of the complex where the office was. Mr. Gracie and a few tenants went to go look and he was gone but his stuff was still in the bin. When the tenant got home that had that space, he said he did not use his storage there and never looked inside it cuz he put nothing in there. So we had a bum living in it and nobody knew until I stumbled upon it.

Called the cops and they removed his shit and from then on I walked the grounds WITH someone besides being alone back there.

Anyway...it was close to xmas and Mr. Gracie asked me what I wanted for xmas and I said a 357 magnum. And that is exactly what he got me..which came in handy when I had to patrol the alley of another complex we managed a few years later that was gang infested. They all knew the managers were packing so they didn't fuck with us, thank God.

So here is the question. IF I had had matilda (I always name my stuff..even a gun, lol), I woulda shot that huge black guy with no second thoughts. IF he had caught me, he WOULD have killed me. Sure as shit.

So if you were me, and had a gun, what would YOU had done in the same scenario? Just run and hope like hell you didn't trip and fall? Or shoot his sorry ass?

Now, before answering, how is that ANY different than what that cop with Brown experienced?

Good thing you didn't have a gun at the time. Things seemed to turn out pretty okay :thup:
It woulda turned out ok if I did have the gun at that time. Matilda has saved my ass quite a few times. Crazy people abound.

Just curious with this scenario which is also a true story.

I was managing an apartment complex (one of many over the years when I was much younger) and as I walked the car parking spaces, I always checked the overhead storage bins that hung out a bit over the hood of vehicles parked there by the tenants. Some had them padlocked..some didn't bother.

Well, one day, I was walking the grounds and just checking to make sure tenants were parked in their allotted spaces and noticed one bin that was a tad ajar with stuffing like a sleeping bag was poking out of it. No car was there. When I got up to it and pulled it open a tad to push back the stuffing inside, I heard "you BITCH. I'm gonna kill you!" and this huge black dude comes rolling out of it. I freaked and ran elbows to assholes and I could hear him hollering behind me but he stopped before he got to the center of the complex where the office was. Mr. Gracie and a few tenants went to go look and he was gone but his stuff was still in the bin. When the tenant got home that had that space, he said he did not use his storage there and never looked inside it cuz he put nothing in there. So we had a bum living in it and nobody knew until I stumbled upon it.

Called the cops and they removed his shit and from then on I walked the grounds WITH someone besides being alone back there.

Anyway...it was close to xmas and Mr. Gracie asked me what I wanted for xmas and I said a 357 magnum. And that is exactly what he got me..which came in handy when I had to patrol the alley of another complex we managed a few years later that was gang infested. They all knew the managers were packing so they didn't fuck with us, thank God.

So here is the question. IF I had had matilda (I always name my stuff..even a gun, lol), I woulda shot that huge black guy with no second thoughts. IF he had caught me, he WOULD have killed me. Sure as shit.

So if you were me, and had a gun, what would YOU had done in the same scenario? Just run and hope like hell you didn't trip and fall? Or shoot his sorry ass?

Now, before answering, how is that ANY different than what that cop with Brown experienced?
No its not the same unless you are calling Wilson a girl. Wilson wasnt an untrained white female with a huge Black guy chasing after him.

Last edited:
It's different because that guy just yelled at you, he didn't assault you.

Wilson was doing his job, which was keeping the peace and arresting people who appeared to have committed crimes.

Technically, you were touching someone else's property. You could have called the resident and informed him that some of his stuff appeared to be falling out of the bin, but that really is nit picking.

What happened to you would have scared me. But having a gun and shooting someone that scares me, terrifies me for I could see myself in prison. I don't think you can shoot someone for scaring you, even if it is a threat.

Um, maybe for you. But for ME, at that moment, I woulda shot his ass. Period. And I have a right to ANY bin in that complex. Maybe you should read the OP again.

Um, maybe for you. But for ME, at that moment, I woulda shot his ass. Period. And I have a right to ANY bin in that complex. Maybe you should read the OP again.
Okay, you have a right to that bin, I agree. But legally, can you shoot someone because they yelled at you and scared you? I think they have to be more of a threat to you than that. Remember, he ran away from you!

Um. Read again. He CHASED me. I just ran faster.
You bet he scared me. Dude was HUGE when he came sliding/rolling out of that nest he made. HUGE. No way was I gonna hope he was just trying to scare me away from his hole. That dude was PISSED. Nope. I woulda shot him. Good thing my legs were in better shape and he was still unfolding by the time he hit the ground at a run at me.

Think of the Zimmerman shooting and all of the dialogue that went on about that. Martin was unarmed but he was taking Zimmerman's head and pounding it into the sidewalk. That is the only reason Zimmerman is not in jail today.

Um. Read again. He CHASED me. I just ran faster.
You bet he scared me. Dude was HUGE when he came sliding/rolling out of that nest he made. HUGE. No way was I gonna hope he was just trying to scare me away from his hole. That dude was PISSED. Nope. I woulda shot him. Good thing my legs were in better shape and he was still unfolding by the time he hit the ground at a run at me.
You're right. I didn't read he chased you. That does make a difference. Sorry.

Good thing you didn't have a gun at the time. Things seemed to turn out pretty okay :thup:
It woulda turned out ok if I did have the gun at that time. Matilda has saved my ass quite a few times. Crazy people abound.

Had you been armed at the time he may not have reacted in such an aggressive manner. Had he continued, you would have been well protected.

Okay, you have a right to that bin, I agree. But legally, can you shoot someone because they yelled at you and scared you? I think they have to be more of a threat to you than that. Remember, he ran away from you!

He chased her.

Please, reread, again.

He chased her.

Please, reread, again.
I did. I posted my apology.

Wow, that is pretty crappy of you.

Who knows what the guy would have done. He could have killed her.

If some guy comes screaming and chasing me, I'd throat-punch the f*****. Or, if I have a gun, I'll drop the threat. Simple as that. Bad things can happen when you attack people.

Jackson, did you read the OP at all or just bits and pieces? Of course I know how to handle a gun, lol. As I said...Matilda (thats the name of my gun..or rather, one of them) has saved my ass many times AFTER that episode. I managed some pretty swanky apartment complexes..and 2 really BAD ones. But I got the bad ones turned around..with the help of Matilda.

Jackson...if someone breaks into your home, you need protection in this day and age. Get a dog. A big one, if you are afraid of guns. I am not afraid of Matilda and Bessie (Bessie is the 38 special).
PROTECT yourself, hon.

It's different because that guy just yelled at you, he didn't assault you.

Wilson was doing his job, which was keeping the peace and arresting people who appeared to have committed crimes.

Technically, you were touching someone else's property. You could have called the resident and informed him that some of his stuff appeared to be falling out of the bin, but that really is nit picking.

What happened to you would have scared me. But having a gun and shooting someone that scares me, terrifies me for I could see myself in prison. I don't think you can shoot someone for scaring you, even if it is a threat.
Yeah, but you can shoot a BLACK person that scares you, surely.

Forum List

Back