What's the most intolerant religion?

Militant atheism.

Though I suppose we should probably establish a common definition of intolerant and determine why intolerance is wrong in all cases before we can really have a discussion on the matter.

After all, Im quite intolerant of people who want to harm my family. I think that's a good thing to be intolerant of. I am not convinced tolerance, in and of itself, is a virtue.

Cults one and all.

It seems a lack of religion is more intolerant than said religons... interesting.

Another utterly vapid assertion by a theist. Atheists have no cause to be intolerant as a group, since there is no binding ideology, other than to form a defensive posture against religious fanatics (the christian right lunatics) from trying to conflate church and state. That is the only cause that coalesces us, and might make is appear "intolerant," buy in reality, this perceived intolerance is a reaction against theists trying to circumvent the first amendment.

and yet you come across as one of the most intolerant people on the board.

Go figure.

All of them.

That's obviously not the case, but as most likely a liberal, your fear of insulting a darling group causes you to insult everyone.

Really? A liberal?

Well I suppose I am liberal in the sense that I put liberty above all else.

And I have no love of any religion. Religion is lust another control people allow to be placed on their minds

Admit it SP. You are all for big government and totalitarianism. After all, you don't like religion, that's the only conclusion a "rational" person could make.:tongue:

I vote Islam. It's so intolerant, that non muslims are banned from entering its two holiest cities. Not a Saudi Rule, but an Koranic based rule, explicit for Mecca, and they imply it for Medina as well.

Let me think.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIoFiDE2awM]Disturbing Interview w/ British Muslim Leader - YouTube[/ame]

Regards
DL

The most intolerant religion is Statism. When religious dogma is combined with the power of government, the end result is always intolerance leading to violent suppression anyone who displeases a state operative.

The one which ignores its own teachings the most, Christianty then

Uh, sorry, but I think the people running government win this contest
for not following the Constitutional principles written and preached all over the place!
===================================================
And one of the most conflicted teachings is anyone trying
to preach against racism without coming across as racist.
Haven't seen that anti-racist ideology taught correctly yet.

The best solution to ending racism I have seen warns people NOT to
call anyone a racist. So I think the Bahai group who
started "Dialogue: Racism" have that system down of focusing on healing;
but most other people preaching against racism fall into their own traps.

Last edited:
The most intolerant religion is Statism. When religious dogma is combined with the power of government, the end result is always intolerance leading to violent suppression anyone who displeases a state operative.

I think you can have Constitutionalism, based on democratic inclusion and consent of the governed, and not become oppressive. So you could have a state based religion if everyone agreed to abide by Constitutional principles by free will and inclusion in consensus based decisions.

It seems a lack of religion is more intolerant than said religons... interesting.

Another utterly vapid assertion by a theist. Atheists have no cause to be intolerant as a group, since there is no binding ideology, other than to form a defensive posture against religious fanatics (the christian right lunatics) from trying to conflate church and state. That is the only cause that coalesces us, and might make is appear "intolerant," buy in reality, this perceived intolerance is a reaction against theists trying to circumvent the first amendment.

and yet you come across as one of the most intolerant people on the board.

Go figure.

To those of the Christian Right who want to return this country back to a state of scientific ignorance and their version of morality? Yes, I am intolerant of this.

Cults one and all.

Well, next Christmas let's have the Christians come to your town and set up a living nativity at your town hall free of charge. The Jews will not complain, the Moslems will not complain, the Catholics and Protestants will not complain, and the Mormons will not complain ---- I dare say that Hindus will not complain. BUT the ACLU and some other Atheists will show up and claim that they are fighters for freedom and that means a separation of the State from Church and demand its removal. How tolerant of them...

I don't think religions are 'intolerant' so much as people's interpretations of them.

The idea of 'owning' the One True TRUTH is just awfully attractive to some - so they put about the false rumor that 'everybody' has that element in their religion.

I know of no faith whose adherents are required to believe that 'nobody gets to Heaven except us' - but you'd swear that was a Commandment the way some folks talk.

I have had evangelicals tell me that I won't be going to heaven if I am not "born again"

I assure them that I was born right the first time.

Cults one and all.

My practice of my religion doesn't involve you. If you don't want to participate, don't, but shut the fuck up. I'm TIRED of listening to you bitch about my nativity set, "In God, We Trust" on out money and the 10 Commandments on the wall of the court house.
If these things offend you, tough shit. They comfort me.
The First Amendment is about freedom OF religion, not freedom FROM religion.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof...

I don't think religions are 'intolerant' so much as people's interpretations of them.

The idea of 'owning' the One True TRUTH is just awfully attractive to some - so they put about the false rumor that 'everybody' has that element in their religion.

I know of no faith whose adherents are required to believe that 'nobody gets to Heaven except us' - but you'd swear that was a Commandment the way some folks talk.

I have had evangelicals tell me that I won't be going to heaven if I am not "born again"

1. if those evangelicals aren't being forgiving, then they aren't going to heaven with any unforgiveness left which they, themselves haven't given up either! as they are hypocrites!

2. what being born again means is to be freed from the unforgiven chains to the past, and being spiritually renewed when we let go of all that from the past holding us back.

3. again, there are two things going on here, that person's perception of you which may be holding THEM back, aside from your perception of yourself and others which is your responsibility not theirs. if you are both being forgiving then neither of you is causing your relationship to go to hell, but if you are both being UNFORGIVING that is what causes hell or spiritual suffering

My practice of my religion doesn't involve you. If you don't want to participate, don't, but shut the fuck up. I'm TIRED of listening to you bitch about my nativity set, "In God, We Trust" on out money and the 10 Commandments on the wall of the court house.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof...

I'm not sure how to respond to something so idiotic.

All of them.

Go into a Catholic Church and you see in the beginning of the Missal what you should do if you are a catholic, a non catholic christian (broken down into orthodox and all others), and non chirstians. Basically it tells you if you can recieve eucharist or not.

How is that intolerant?

What about Constitutionalism and citizenship?

That if you are born here, regardless if you commit heinous crimes,
you still have rights of citizenship where taxpayers pay for your court costs and prison time.

But if you were brought here, even kids brought by their parents,
then you end up in limbo without the same rights as others just because of birthplace?

Christianity

Atheism...
I don't recall ever hearing a Muslim bitching about a Christmas tree at a public park.

Funny answer!

Ironically I have an atheist friend who believes and teaches about the abundance
of free grace, and works alongside Christians on prison reform out of compassion for humanity and justice. When I told a fundamental Christian friend about this, he said my friend could not be a real atheist!

He believes in cheap grace as a gift from life
but does not believe in a personified God.
And my Christian friend could not grasp that.

Actually Ernie the First Amendment is about both
neither DENYING NOR IMPOSING religion by way of govt.

Problem is everyone violates this, then blames others for doing so.
Look at political parties.
Both take THEIR political beliefs, lobby to abuse govt to impose THEIR beliefs biases or agenda, and both accuse the other party of doing that very thing!

So if you ask me, I find the imposition of political beliefs to be the most intolerant.
You can choose not to follow the Pope or the head of someone else's church.

But if you don't follow the orders of a police officer, judge or other law enforcement agent,
you don't have freedom to dissent without going through some huge due process of law.

That is why I believe in govt by consent, where any and all conflicts are mediated
and decisions made by consensus, to avoid religious or political abuse from
being imposed mandatory through govt especially judges which don't have enough check!

1. if those evangelicals aren't being forgiving, then they aren't going to heaven with any unforgiveness left which they, themselves haven't given up either! as they are hypocrites!

2. what being born again means is to be freed from the unforgiven chains to the past, and being spiritually renewed when we let go of all that from the past holding us back.

3. again, there are two things going on here, that person's perception of you which may be holding THEM back, aside from your perception of yourself and others which is your responsibility not theirs. if you are both being forgiving then neither of you is causing your relationship to go to hell, but if you are both being UNFORGIVING that is what causes hell or spiritual suffering
#1. It's not my business to decide whether or not they're headed for heaven, but I see your point.

#2. I know all about spiritual renewal. These happen or don't in their own time.

#3. I get the perception thing all the time. I'm a biker. My hair comes to about 6" above my waist and my beard is getting towards ZZ Top.
A lot of people assume I'm an outlaw, ready to stab them if they say the wrong thing. I'm well past that stage in my life... About 25 years past, as a matter of fact.

Forum List

Back