When people tell me they are sick or a friend is sick I can say "I will pray for you"

Thank you.

I mean, it makes them feel better and it's not like it does any harm.
Sorry, you misunderstood the question.

The question is, for atheists, when people tell you that they're sick or a family member or friend is sick, you can't say "I will pray for you."

What do you say instead?

My thoughts are with you. You are in my heart. Positive vibes your way.

There are many things non religious people can say that are full of love, compassion, caring. You don't need a deity for that, just a heart.

I suppose you can show love to your fellow human being without believing in God.

But that seems to me the harder way of going about it.

I think if I didn't believe in God, I'd pray to him anyway. Like someone said, no harm can come from it.

Thank you.

The question is, for atheists, when people tell you that they're sick or a family member or friend is sick, you can't say "I will pray for you."

What do you say instead?

Considering how many people die every day with people praying for them, it doesn't look like it does much good.
You didn't answer the question.

The question is:

Someone tells you they or someone close to them is sick, has cancer maybe.

What do you, as an atheist say?

There is a wide range of ways to express your concern, sympathy and support to someone in that situation. I suspect you believe that offering prayers is offering to actually do something for the sick person. Thoughts and prayers don't seem to do much of anything. I know there are some studies that show a sick person with a caring involved group of people supporting them tend to have better outcomes, but nobody has shown that prayers alone have any effect whatsoever.

Thank you.

What do you say instead?

My thoughts are with you. You are in my heart. Positive vibes your way.

There are many things non religious people can say that are full of love, compassion, caring. You don't need a deity for that, just a heart.

I suppose you can show love to your fellow human being without believing in God.

But that seems to me the harder way of going about it.

I think it's easier.....I'm not an atheist, but I do not believe you need a third party in order to show love.

Love is love. There are many kinds of love, one of which goes from one human heart to another.

If I tell someone I am praying for him, that will improve his chances of recovery if he believes in the power of prayer.

Even an atheist has to admit to that.

So atheists, why not say it?

If I tell someone I am praying for him, that will improve his chances of recovery if he believes in the power of prayer.

I don't disagree with that.

I think positive energy, love, and compassion whether in the form of prayer or in the form of some other action has a positive benefit.

If I tell someone I will chant an incantation to the Flying Spaghetti Monster, that will improve his chances of recovery if he believes in the power of a Flying Spaghetti Monster.

If I tell someone I will chant an incantation to the Flying Spaghetti Monster, that will improve his chances of recovery if he believes in the power of a Flying Spaghetti Monster.
Sure, but I'm talking about a realistic scenario while you are talking about nonsense.

If a person says "I have cancer" and you know he or she believes in God, you can say "I will pray for you" and increase his or her chances of recovering through the power of positive thinking.

So why not say it?

Are you saying your integrity as an atheist is more important than the life of your friend?

What do atheists say in these situations?
I usually say.....Blackrook will pray for you
That's nice, and I would.

When Catholics ask Mary to pray for them, or the saints, that's what Catholics are doing -- magnifying the power of prayer from one voice to many.
I do have a lucky rabbits foot
Will that help in these situations?

rabbits-foot-gettyimages-521951780.jpg

Sure, but I'm talking about a realistic scenario while you are talking about nonsense.

If a person says "I have cancer" and you know he or she believes in God, you can say "I will pray for you" and increase his or her chances of recovering through the power of positive thinking.

So why not say it?

Are you saying your integrity as an atheist is more important than the life of your friend?
Because when a person knows others are “praying” for them; their chance of recovery goes down?

Prayer and healing: A medical and scientific perspective on randomized controlled trials

So why not say it?

Because when a person knows others are “praying” for them; their chance of recovery goes down?

Prayer and healing: A medical and scientific perspective on randomized controlled trials
That's not what the article says.

So why not say it?

Actually, it doesn’t matter one way or the other

So why not say it?

We are both talking about nonsense. If the victim of a disease believes something is being done to help him, it will help him. It doesn't matter if that something is total bullshit. I don't have a problem with offering prayers to help someone feel better, but expecting a result other than pandering to the sick person's beliefs is just dumb.

So why not say it?

We are both talking about nonsense. If the victim of a disease believes something is being done to help him, it will help him. It doesn't matter if that something is total bullshit. I don't have a problem with offering prayers to help someone feel better, but expecting a result other than pandering to the sick person's beliefs is just dumb.
You said one thing, and then said the opposite. Which do you believe?

So why not say it?

Perhaps you just aren't paying attention. To be clear, I believe prayer in and of it's self is a useless waste of time. I also don't have a problem with offering prayer if it helps the victim of any ailment or disease to deal with that ailment. A friend died last year. One of his biggest concerns was whether the business he had worked his entire life to build would continue. I had no idea what might happen to that business, but I told him that Of Course it would survive. Sales were higher than ever, and the team he had put together was working well, just as he had hoped. He died with one less worry on his mind. I'm not opposed to offering prayer to someone who needs to believe in such, but it is nothing more than an effort to sooth the nerves of someone who chooses to believe in such nonsense.

So why not say it?

Perhaps you just aren't paying attention. To be clear, I believe prayer in and of it's self is a useless waste of time. I also don't have a problem with offering prayer if it helps the victim of any ailment or disease to deal with that ailment. A friend died last year. One of his biggest concerns was whether the business he had worked his entire life to build would continue. I had no idea what might happen to that business, but I told him that Of Course it would survive. Sales were higher than ever, and the team he had put together was working well, just as he had hoped. He died with one less worry on his mind. I'm not opposed to offering prayer to someone who needs to believe in such, but it is nothing more than an effort to sooth the nerves of someone who chooses to believe in such nonsense.
Everyone needs to believe in something, I suppose.

I believe that after I die, I will be in a place where I will no longer have to worry about worldly problems.

Thank you.

What do you say instead?
Hers some emergenc and some garlic; take these three times a day and get plenty of rest. If your symptoms persist after a week see a doctor. Worked like a dream so far. Guess I could pray the sickness away but that doesn’t seem like it would work very well:

Forum List

Back