Where's my Global Warming!

Meanwhile, Alaska bakes under record highs.

And the kooks still don't understand what "global" means.

which part of Alaska is "baking"?
Current Alaska Weather Map
current_map2.jpg

It was warmer in Anchorage at that point than it was in Palm Beach.

Super fun fact there.. So Anchorage is at the same lattitude as Oslo and Stockholm and is moderated by the proximity to the ocean.. :clap2:

Oslo and Stockholm are not exactly tropical locales and Palm Beach is also moderated by the ocean. Except in Anchorage's case, the oceans offshore are part of the Kurushio current and have just finished passing through the Arctic while the oceans off Palm Beach, which has the narrowest continental shelf on the planet, are the Gulf Stream and have just finished an Equatorial traverse of the entire Atlantic Ocean.

Deadly ice and snow storm bears down on U.S. South

A major winter storm that has caused at least six deaths unfurled across much of the U.S. South on Tuesday, and forecasters warned that ice could cripple road travel and bring widespread power outages in coming days.

The storm could be "a catastrophic event" of "historical proportions," the National Weather Service office in Peachtree City, Georgia, said of the latest blast of wintry weather to hit the region.

Conditions were expected to worsen overnight, with up to an inch (2.5 cm) of ice predicted in parts of Georgia and central South Carolina.

Two to 6 inches (5 to 15 cm) of snow fell in north Georgia on Tuesday, with another 5 to 9 inches (13 to 23 cm) expected by Thursday morning, said National Weather Service meteorologist Dan Darbe

But Darbe said ice was the bigger worry, with a quarter to three-quarters of an inch (0.6 to 2 cm) expected in the area that includes metropolitan Atlanta.

The last significant ice storm in that region was in January 2000, when up to half inch (1.3 cm) of ice left more than 350,000 people without power, Darbe said.

"We're talking a much larger area and a much larger amount of ice" in this storm, he said.

President Barack Obama signed an emergency declaration for Georgia. Governors Alabama, North Carolina, South Carolina and Mississippi declared weather emergencies and Georgia Governor Nathan Deal signed an executive order to close state government Wednesday.

The storm caused two weather-related traffic deaths in Mississippi, and three in northern Texas, authorities said. A Dallas firefighter responding to an accident on an icy road also died when a skidding car hit a parked vehicle and he fell off a highway bridge.

Officials were quick to make plans for dealing with the weather after being criticized for inadequate preparation before a storm two weeks ago. That storm paralyzed Atlanta area roads and forced more than 11,000 students in Alabama to spend the night at their schools.

The Himalayan Times : Deadly ice and snow storm bears down on U.S. South - Detail News : Nepal News Portal

I luv me some snow; BRING ON THAT DANGED NEW ICE AGE! ! ! !

1900060_10202077258265624_280894798_n.jpg

Jet stream = horizontal temperature gradient and Coriolis force.

Consequences of Rotation for Weather

When you change climate zones by shifting the climate you will have some effects on the jet streams position as it either shifts north or south. We're talking about a climate system out of balance right? So why can't the weather be more extreme just like a jar of hot water at a constant volume one second and yet after you change a variable like volume the system will have a period of extremes until it can get back into balance.

Think about it.

Last edited:
I luv me some snow; BRING ON THAT DANGED NEW ICE AGE! ! ! !

1900060_10202077258265624_280894798_n.jpg

Jet stream = horizontal temperature gradient and Coriolis force.

Consequences of Rotation for Weather

When you change climate zones by shifting the climate you will have some effects on the jet streams position as it either shifts north or south. We're talking about a climate system out of balance right? So why can't the weather be more extreme just like a jar of hot water at a constant volume one second and yet after you change a variable like volume the system will have a period of extremes until it can get back into balance.

Think about it.

Yeah, good point BUT it is kind of hard to predict how it will change.

As long as there's a pause = global warming is going to be impossible to defend in the eyes of many.

What pause? The ToA imbalance is still present and growing. The OHC, where >90% of thermal energy accumulation is stored, is rising and its rate increased significantly at the same time surface warming slowed. Several theories relating the transfer of heat from the ocean surface to deeper waters to the reduction in the temperature of the SST, as well as temperatures corrected for data lacking at the poles essentially eliminate the surface warming hiatus.

There has been no downward change in the basic rate at which the Earth is accumulating solar energy. The energy is simply going to different places.

As long as there's a pause = global warming is going to be impossible to defend in the eyes of many.

What pause? The ToA imbalance is still present and growing. The OHC, where >90% of thermal energy accumulation is stored, is rising and its rate increased significantly at the same time surface warming slowed. Several theories relating the transfer of heat from the ocean surface to deeper waters to the reduction in the temperature of the SST, as well as temperatures corrected for data lacking at the poles essentially eliminate the surface warming hiatus.

There has been no downward change in the basic rate at which the Earth is accumulating solar energy. The energy is simply going to different places.

Why did it suddenly decide to hide in the deep ocean? Why is it going to "different places" NOW and not in the early 90s or 80s? Take all the time you need..

I believe for the same reason the system changed in 1941. I don't know why you should have a problem with this idea. You're the one that's constantly pushing for non-linear response. Why does the Pacific switch from Nina to Nino? What causes the PDO? I would suggest that this is simply a multi-decadal oscilllation to which the system is subject under conditions of external warming.

The fact that no denier has been able to overcome is that persistent ToA imbalance. Until that zeroes, it is absolutely futile to claim that global warming has stopped.

Last edited:
I believe for the same reason the system changed in 1941. I don't know why you should have a problem with this idea. You're the one that's constantly pushing for non-linear response. Why does the Pacific switch from Nina to Nino? What causes the PDO? I would suggest that this is simply a multi-decadal oscilllation to which the system is subject under conditions of external warming.

The fact that no denier has been able to overcome is that persistent ToA imbalance. Until that zeroes, it is absolutely futile to claim that global warming has stopped.

Total mass of the worlds oceans is about 1,400,000,000,000,000,000 metric tons (1.5×10^18 short tons) or 1.4×10^21 kg.

Total mass of the world's atmosphere is The atmosphere has a mass of about 5.15×10^18 kg.

So the oceans have about 1,000 times the mass of the atmosphere, and would therefore hold thermal mass that would be a lagging indicator of change in climate or global average temperature.

Imagine a large tank of water in a large green house. After everything has reached its lowest temperatures just as dawn breaks, the upper part of the green house air warms first, then the air close to the ground. The last thing to warm is the tank of water, and the same goes with the cooling cycle except the lower air on the ground cools first then the upper air, then last the water tank.

The oceans are a lagging indicator and they are cooling last. This wouldn't surprise any engineer with any real world experience.

Forum List

Back