Which caliber is best for stopping a crook? Pistol, rifle or shotgun?

Justifiable homicide is very rare. Here.

RIP all homicide victims and suicide offenders who died by any caliber.
usgun-deaths-1999-2016.jpg

Maybe, but most shooters, attempting to hit a trained attack dog, lose their concentration when they are hit by what amounts to a freight train that is all jaws and teeth.

Except the dog is running directly towards you. The line of sight only changes a very small amount as he comes.

Plus, at point blank range, most guns have a muzzle flash that amounts to fire on the fur, even if the bullet misses.

I dont know about having rat shot as your first round.
You may not get an easy shot after the first one so I'd want it to be lethal.

If the first shot is easy, then the rest will be easier as they are slowed by the pain. My second shot will only be delayed the amount of time it takes to pull the trigger again.

If the first shot is easy, then the rest will be easier as they are slowed by the pain. My second shot will only be delayed the amount of time it takes to pull the trigger again.

The way I see it is you're giving your target a chance to take cover after getting peppered with rat shot,which is by no means lethal.
I'd prefer to hit em with a lethal shot right off the bat.
Of course thats just me.

Cheap and effective. You can buy (and register) a high tech Glock space gun for close to a grand or you can pick up a single shot 12 ga. and buy some cheap duck loads and cut the barrel (and maybe the stock) to legal federal guidelines and you have a $100 dollar weapon that will turn the heads of any home invader.
Seriously, if home invasions are normal where you live, I’d move or get a couple of very big dogs . Both are much more effective. Why plan on something that never happens with a weapon you never practice with. . Just use what you carry.

The way I see it is you're giving your target a chance to take cover after getting peppered with rat shot,which is by no means lethal.
I'd prefer to hit em with a lethal shot right off the bat.
Of course thats just me.

I figure the first shot is when you are the most jittery.

Seriously, if home invasions are normal where you live, I’d move or get a couple of very big dogs . Both are much more effective. Why plan on something that never happens with a weapon you never practice with. . Just use what you carry.

The Wife and I experienced an attempted home invasion.
Fortunately I had the 870 shorty on hand at the front door.
I've never seen 4 mexicans move so fast!!
They jumped into their supposedly broken down vehicle and hauled ass...with the hood still open.

I dont see it that way.
Your first shot is going to be your most accurate since you've caught them unaware.
Once the bullets start flying your target is going to be much harder to hit.

If someone comes in, I'll let you know how it turns out. A .38 Special shotshell is not as weak as you think.

The Wife and I experienced an attempted home invasion.
Fortunately I had the 870 shorty on hand at the front door.
I've never seen 4 mexicans move so fast!!
They jumped into their supposedly broken down vehicle and hauled ass...with the hood still open.
So you live in Mexico ? Might be time to move Or get an Akita

Close,Texas.
Cant wait till the southern invasion starts affecting states that arent on the border.
You'll learn real quick.
Maybe they just wanted to do your roof for nothing while you slept.😘
I’m not worried about a Mexican invasion. For one thing, the black flies and ticks in the woods during the summer and 200 inches of snow in the winter is such a big commitment to get through, everyone here leaves the keys in their car and their dog kennel door open. Oh, we all have shot guns too. We just never get to use them on home invaders. We all moved here for that reason. .

Last edited:
If someone comes in, I'll let you know how it turns out. A .38 Special shotshell is not as weak as you think.
I’ve thought about that too. Maybe the first two rounds shotshell followed by three full wad cutters.

According to police records, the vast majority of home invasions are known drug houses. The risk/reward odds are better known by the perpetrators. It does make sense.

Watching this, you'd think the .380 ACP is best, or at least as good as the rest of the pistols. This would mean that you could get a smaller, lighter pistol with the .380 without losing any effectiveness.

The 2nd amendment allows us guns. Which gun do you think has the most stopping power? Which is the easiest to carry? Do you believe the study is accurate?

Shotgun---most people can't control their adrenaline so it is harder to miss with a shotgun---

Justifiable homicide is very rare. Here.

RIP all homicide victims and suicide offenders who died by any caliber.
usgun-deaths-1999-2016.jpg
img_1313-whats-your-point-nana-meme-S.jpg

Your friends on the far-left are eagerly taking away our police protection and disheartening those remaining.

What do you expect Americans to do? Voluntarily become victims or stand up and defend themselves.

Glaringly, in your post, you neglected to detail the number of violent crimes prevented by someone with a gun. Why? Do you not believe that it frequently happens? If a crime is prevented, will it be reported?

If what you infer was true, then why do so many countries, which ban guns to civilians, have so much higher rates of violent crimes?

Forum List

Back