Which Party is more associated with libertarians?

Where do you stand?

• I am a libertarian, I am or came from the Republican party

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • I am a libertarian, I am or came from the Democratic party

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • I am a libertarian, I never supported either party

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • I am not libertarian, libertarians are generally Republican

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • I am not libertarian, libertarians are generally Democrat

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • I am not libertarian, libertarians aren't associated with either party

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters

kaz

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2010
Kazmania
Note the small "l" in libertarian. This refers to the desire to seriously limit government power, not membership in the "Libertarian" party.

The purpose of this poll and discussion is to see where libertarians came from and if that matches the perception of non-libertarians. As always on a message board, just for fun.

My answer is I am a libertarian. I came from the Republican party, so I chose that, even though I generally do not currently vote for Republicans.

Note the small "l" in libertarian. This refers to the desire to seriously limit government power, not membership in the "Libertarian" party.

The purpose of this poll and discussion is to see where libertarians came from and if that matches the perception of non-libertarians. As always on a message board, just for fun.

The Republican Party claims to be all about limited government. Even as the GOP President and GOP Congress were passing the Patriot Act faster than greased lightning, opening up Gitmo and throwing people in without habeas corpus, holding US citizens without habeas corpus, creating a MASSIVE new cabinet level department with breathtaking powers of domestic spying without warrants, abusing the living shit out of NSLs, ramrodding a very expensive government entitlement program through Congress (Medicare Part D), poring over citizens' library reading lists, establishing "free speech zones", starting TWO wars, ramping up Defense spending to levels not seen since World War II (and the last I checked we are not in a World War), and ruining the lives of journalists, and DOUBLING the national debt, they were thumping their chests over how they were all about small government!

I honestly do not know how these psychopaths compartmentalize their brains that way without their heads exploding. I really don't.

But back in the days of my youth when it was uncool to be a conservative, one found large roving bands of libertarians at any gathering of Republicans/Conservatives.

Last edited:

The Republican Party claims to be all about limited government. Even as the GOP President and GOP Congress were passing the Patriot Act, opening up Gitmo and throwing people in without habeas corpus, holding US citizens without habeas corpus, creating a MASSIVE new cabinet level department with breathtaking powers of domestic spying without warrants, abusing the living shit out of NSLs, poring over citizens' library reading lists, establishing "free speech zones", starting TWO wars, ramping up Defense spending to levels not seen since World War II (and the last I checked we are not in a World War), and ruining the lives of journalists, they were thumping their chests over how they were all about small government!

I honestly do not know how these psychopaths compartmentalize their brains that way without their heads exploding. I really don't.

But back in the days of my youth when it was uncool to be a conservative, one found large roving packs of libertarians at any gathering of Republicans/Conservatives.

Agreed, and that's what drives a lot of us to leave the party

Is one of those threads that quickly turns into who is, and who is not libertarian?

Fair question since all libertarian threads on the site seem to do that. All I can say is the poll doesn't let them do that.

I am a liberal libertarian--as are all true libertarians. In the modern sense, there is no such thing as a conservative libertarian.

The Republican Party claims to be all about limited government. Even as the GOP President and GOP Congress were passing the Patriot Act, opening up Gitmo and throwing people in without habeas corpus, holding US citizens without habeas corpus, creating a MASSIVE new cabinet level department with breathtaking powers of domestic spying without warrants, abusing the living shit out of NSLs, poring over citizens' library reading lists, establishing "free speech zones", starting TWO wars, ramping up Defense spending to levels not seen since World War II (and the last I checked we are not in a World War), and ruining the lives of journalists, they were thumping their chests over how they were all about small government!

But back in the days of my youth when it was uncool to be a conservative, one found large roving packs of libertarians at any gathering of Republicans/Conservatives.

It is why I left the Party.

I did not join up with the Liberatarian Party because they are propellerheads.

OK, one post on what true libertarians are and one insult. All in before post 10. This thread is right on track!

:lmao:

The Republican Party claims to be all about limited government. Even as the GOP President and GOP Congress were passing the Patriot Act faster than greased lightning, opening up Gitmo and throwing people in without habeas corpus, holding US citizens without habeas corpus, creating a MASSIVE new cabinet level department with breathtaking powers of domestic spying without warrants, abusing the living shit out of NSLs, ramrodding a very expensive government entitlement program through Congress (Medicare Part D), poring over citizens' library reading lists, establishing "free speech zones", starting TWO wars, ramping up Defense spending to levels not seen since World War II (and the last I checked we are not in a World War), and ruining the lives of journalists, and DOUBLING the national debt, they were thumping their chests over how they were all about small government!

But back in the days of my youth when it was uncool to be a conservative, one found large roving bands of libertarians at any gathering of Republicans/Conservatives.

Aren't entitlement programs a form of government intervention? You people want to jump into women's bodies on abortion, tell people that one form of marriage is superior to another, and you guys think YOU advocate small government. Well well, that's just about the dumbest actual thing I have ever heard.

I think self-declared "libertarians" mostly pick the name as a way to distance themselves from the things within one party or the other that they disapprove of.

As such they could be parcel to either party. But I think they're more axiomatic with Republicans, at least at the current time.

It is why I left the Party.

I did not join up with the Liberatarian Party because they are propellerheads.

I agree with that as well. The Libertarian Party is more libertarian than the two major parties. Unfortunately it's more Party than libertarian. Which is why I sometimes vote for candidates, but I also frequently don't and I don't consider myself a member of the party.

The most irritating thing to me is their endless litmus tests on being libertarian.

I am a liberal libertarian--as are all true libertarians. In the modern sense, there is no such thing as a conservative libertarian.

Any true conservative or true liberal would be a political libertarian. That is the only way they are free to implement effective solutions to the issues they are most concerned about rather than allowing government to force ineffective or even harmful ones.

The idea that people think government is the best solution to the problems they are most concerned about is just plain freaking nuts.

Is one of those threads that quickly turns into who is, and who is not libertarian?

Damn!! We made 7 posts.

Do you believe in economic freedom, freemason?

Total economic "freedom" would enslave a good many people. Feudalism was economic "freedom," and so was slavery in the Old South.

When I think of libertarianism, I think first of freedom from government intrusion in private/personal lives.

Damn!! We made 7 posts.

Do you believe in economic freedom, freemason?

Total economic "freedom" would enslave a good many people. Feudalism was economic "freedom," and so was slavery in the Old South.

When I think of libertarianism, I think first of freedom from government intrusion in private/personal lives.

How are two policies enforced by government proof that freedom would enslave anyone?

Aren't entitlement programs a form of government intervention? You people want to jump into women's bodies on abortion, tell people that one form of marriage is superior to another, and you guys think YOU advocate small government. Well well, that's just about the dumbest actual thing I have ever heard.

I don't know who "you people" are, but you seem to be making an assumption I am in that group.

Also, the only people I know of who believe one form of marriage is superior to others are the modern day faux conservatives who believe a gay marriage is less than a heterosexual marriage.

I'm not really sure how to answer. My family is pretty much made up of Democrats, so up to the point of my becoming interest in politics I would have considered myself a Democrat. Though I was never actually a member of the Democratic Party. The first time I voted, however, was in a Republican primary, and that meant that I was a registered Republican for a while. So who knows? When I got interested in politics I only ever considered myself a libertarian, and never a Democrat or Republican.

I am a libertarian and given the state of both the Republican and Democratic parties I don't see how either one of them are close to what we believe in.

Forum List

Back