Who Are The Palestinians? Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think so. While there are plenty of Palestinian advocates who are trying to find ways to bring about peace and fight for their cause while respecting Jewish sovereignty, I have not seen evidence of Sarsour attempting or succeeding at her self-assigned task of “challenging my own people around issues of anti-Semitism.”

I have seen the opposite. Sarsour has explicitly diminished the significance of anti-Semitism, qualifying its noxiousness in a video for Jewish Voice for Peace in April. “I want to make the distinction that while anti-Semitism is something that impacts Jewish Americans, it’s different than anti-black racism or Islamophobia because it’s not systemic,” she said. “Of course, you may experience vandalism or an attack on a synagogue, or maybe on an individual level, but it’s not systemic, and we need to make that distinction.”

Read more: Practice What You Preach, Linda Sarsour

Israeli Avihai Shorshan decided to visit Ramallah, and took this photo outside of their municipality building.

He writes (translated into English from Hebrew):

I made a short visit to Ramallah and the surrounding area.

When I have time, I will write about it at length, but in the meantime this picture taken outside the town hall of al-Bireh, from my perspective says it all.

In Ramallah no one is interested in Yitzhar, Ma’aleh Adumim, Ariel or the Nativ Ha’avot. Their vision is to return to their homes in Jaffa, Lod, Acre, the Baka neighborhood of Jerusalem, Be’er Sheva and other places they lost when they did not agree to the Partition Plan in 1948.

They understand it well and are aiming for there with all their might, nothing else will satisfy them. I wish that the Israeli public would understand this declaration of intentions seriously and grasp it.

(full article online)

The PA’s Monumental Declaration of Intent

Online portal offers Palestinian diaspora a piece of home

GAZA CITY — In Palestinian tradition, when people in the countryside visited each other, they brought along gifts arranged in traditional baskets that also contained a sachet of henna and flowers. The gift was called "talleh," and it inspired a Palestinian entrepreneur, Asmahan Ilian, to develop a successful business to help Palestinian women by providing them employment. Hence Talleh, an online gift platform, is this month one year old.

“The idea for the project was inspired by the longing of Palestinians abroad for something reminiscent of their homeland,” Ilian told Al-Monitor by phone from Jerusalem, where she lives. “I also wanted to use the Palestinian tradition of gift giving.”

Talleh's offerings focus on traditional gifts. Among them are small decorative wooden boxes for holding such items as cigarettes and jewelry, ceramic pots with Middle Eastern motifs and home accessories, such as tablecloths, towels and trays, all handcrafted from local cotton and wood, especially olive wood. Most of the fabrics carry traditional Palestinian designs.

“Thanks to the project, you can get a talleh wherever you are,” she said. “Not all Palestinians abroad can visit their homeland but Talleh can send them traditional gifts to ease their homesickness and nostalgia.”

Read more: Online portal offers Palestinian diaspora a piece of home

PHOTO: Young Palestinian men smile during banana harvest season in Jericho, circa 1930.

22228587_1979643262052579_23342530336274271_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back