Who Built the Egyptian Pyramids?

There is NO evidence that the Hebrews were ever in Egypt.

Merneptah Stele 1206 BCE

Yep.. the Stele identifies them as one of the peoples living in Canaan.

Merneptah Stele - Wikipedia

The Merneptah Stele – also known as the Israel Stele or the Victory Stele of Merneptah – is an inscription by the ancient Egyptian Pharaoh Merneptah (reign: 1213–1203 BCE) discovered by Flinders Petrie in 1896 at Thebes, and now housed in the Egyptian Museum in Cairo. The text is largely an account of Merneptah's victory over the Libyans and their allies, but the last 3 of the 28 lines deal with a se…

HISTORICAL CONTEXT
The earliest reference to Israel (the people who later in time would be called the Jews) can be dated to 1206 BCE where the term is found in an Egyptian inscription on the Merneptah Stele. In the inscription, the term Israel is used to identify one of the peoples living in the land of Canaan.

Were you thinking the Hyksos were Hebrews? they weren't.
There's too much accurate detail in the textual evidence about ancient Egypt for the texts to be based upon nothing. Merneptah Stele tells us that the Egyptians exaggerated their victories - Israel continues to exists despite the claim that their seed does not. So the exodus would have had to have occurred before that time. The Hyksos were Semitic people who migrated to Egypt during the late middle kingdom and founded the 15th dynasty at the start of the second intermediate period. The Hyksos would rule Egypt for about a century until they were over thrown by the 17th dynasty coming out of Memphis and later expelled from Egypt by the 18th dynasty. The names of the Hyksos rulers were hardly recorded in Egyptian history. So even if the new Pharaoh had known about Joseph his contributions to Egypt would have not been recorded. The Egyptians downplay any reversals in their history and contributions by foreigners. So while there is little information regarding the Hyksos in Egyptian history there are a lot Semitic names recorded among the government ministers. On top of that the Hyksos moved the capital to Avaris in the Nile delta which is near the land of Goshen which was a region the Isralites were said to have settled. Historians have postulated that the Israelites were part of the Hyksos expulsion.

My point of all of this is that your claim that there is no archaeological evidence that the Israelites were ever in Egypt is inaccurate. There was a lot of migration that occurred back then. To and from Egypt. There's just too much textually accurate detail for those texts to have been based upon nothing. Something occurred. You are arguing nothing occurred. And I think you have an ax to grind.

Of course, everytime there was famine and drought everyone headed for the Nile Delta.. They walked there and back.

Why are you bringing up the Hyksos? There were apparently highly skilled with bows on horseback and from fast, lightweight chariots.
I just explained why. Didn't you read it?

Historians have postulated that the Israelites were part of the Hyksos expulsion.

Menetho (sp) wrote about the Expulsion of the Lepers, but that may have been propaganda so I don't put much stock in that.

Most scholars today think the Hebrews emerged from the North Coast Canaanites. They have found thousands of clay tablets in 5 languages at Ras Shamra which correspond to the tablets found in Sumer and Dilmun. .. all predate the Hebrews.

in fact much of Psalms comes from Ras Shamra poetry.
And has nothing whatsoever to do with what we are discussing. Which is your silly claim that there is no archaeological evidence that the Israelites were ever in Egypt.

I haven't even gotten to Ramesses II yet. But let me state again... There's too much textually accurate detail for those texts to have been based upon nothing. Something occurred. You are arguing nothing occurred.

Archaelogists say there is NO evidence that the Jews were a presence in Egypt. Even the Israelis say that Exodus is a myth.

Dr Hawass said Exodus is a myth. David Wolpe was rated by Newsweek as the number 1 pulpit rabbi in America. Below is an excerpt from the Wikipedia entry on Wolpe dealing with his views on Exodus.

On Passover 2001, Wolpe told his congregation that "the way the Bible describes the Exodus is not the way it happened, if it happened at all."
Today In Religion: David Wolpe

l
Archaeology does not deal in certainties. Archaeology deals in probabilities. You are making absolute statements when any archaeologist will tell you that archaeology doesn't deal in absolutes.

That's true. They know that in times of famine and drought everyone in the region headed for the Nile Delta. That does NOT in any way support a grandiose presence of Jews or that they ruled Egypt via Joseph.

Merneptah Stele 1206 BCE

The Merneptah Stele – also known as the Israel Stele or the Victory Stele of Merneptah – is an inscription by the ancient Egyptian Pharaoh Merneptah (reign: 1213–1203 BCE) discovered by Flinders Petrie in 1896 at Thebes, and now housed in the Egyptian Museum in Cairo. The text is largely an account of Merneptah's victory over the Libyans and their allies, but the last 3 of the 28 lines deal with a se…

HISTORICAL CONTEXT
The earliest reference to Israel (the people who later in time would be called the Jews) can be dated to 1206 BCE where the term is found in an Egyptian inscription on the Merneptah Stele. In the inscription, the term Israel is used to identify one of the peoples living in the land of Canaan.

There's too much accurate detail in the textual evidence about ancient Egypt for the texts to be based upon nothing. Merneptah Stele tells us that the Egyptians exaggerated their victories - Israel continues to exists despite the claim that their seed does not. So the exodus would have had to have occurred before that time. The Hyksos were Semitic people who migrated to Egypt during the late middle kingdom and founded the 15th dynasty at the start of the second intermediate period. The Hyksos would rule Egypt for about a century until they were over thrown by the 17th dynasty coming out of Memphis and later expelled from Egypt by the 18th dynasty. The names of the Hyksos rulers were hardly recorded in Egyptian history. So even if the new Pharaoh had known about Joseph his contributions to Egypt would have not been recorded. The Egyptians downplay any reversals in their history and contributions by foreigners. So while there is little information regarding the Hyksos in Egyptian history there are a lot Semitic names recorded among the government ministers. On top of that the Hyksos moved the capital to Avaris in the Nile delta which is near the land of Goshen which was a region the Isralites were said to have settled. Historians have postulated that the Israelites were part of the Hyksos expulsion.

My point of all of this is that your claim that there is no archaeological evidence that the Israelites were ever in Egypt is inaccurate. There was a lot of migration that occurred back then. To and from Egypt. There's just too much textually accurate detail for those texts to have been based upon nothing. Something occurred. You are arguing nothing occurred. And I think you have an ax to grind.

Of course, everytime there was famine and drought everyone headed for the Nile Delta.. They walked there and back.

Why are you bringing up the Hyksos? There were apparently highly skilled with bows on horseback and from fast, lightweight chariots.

Historians have postulated that the Israelites were part of the Hyksos expulsion.

Menetho (sp) wrote about the Expulsion of the Lepers, but that may have been propaganda so I don't put much stock in that.

Most scholars today think the Hebrews emerged from the North Coast Canaanites. They have found thousands of clay tablets in 5 languages at Ras Shamra which correspond to the tablets found in Sumer and Dilmun. .. all predate the Hebrews.

And has nothing whatsoever to do with what we are discussing. Which is your silly claim that there is no archaeological evidence that the Israelites were ever in Egypt.

I haven't even gotten to Ramesses II yet. But let me state again... There's too much textually accurate detail for those texts to have been based upon nothing. Something occurred. You are arguing nothing occurred.

Archaelogists say there is NO evidence that the Jews were a presence in Egypt. Even the Israelis say that Exodus is a myth.

Dr Hawass said Exodus is a myth. David Wolpe was rated by Newsweek as the number 1 pulpit rabbi in America. Below is an excerpt from the Wikipedia entry on Wolpe dealing with his views on Exodus.

On Passover 2001, Wolpe told his congregation that "the way the Bible describes the Exodus is not the way it happened, if it happened at all."

l
Archaeology does not deal in certainties. Archaeology deals in probabilities. You are making absolute statements when any archaeologist will tell you that archaeology doesn't deal in absolutes.

That's true. They know that in times of famine and drought everyone in the region headed for the Nile Delta. That does NOT in any way support a grandiose presence of Jews or that they ruled Egypt via Joseph.
Did they get the "Delta Variant" while there ?

Merneptah Stele 1206 BCE

HISTORICAL CONTEXT

l

Did they get the "Delta Variant" while there ?

Who knows?

The Expulsion of the Hyksos - Biblical Archaeology Society
Apr 29, 2021 · Why is everyone so afraid of what might be the real truth, as written by Manetho that the Israelites were unclean Egyptian (lepers) who while in Avaris asked the Hyksos to do battle against the Egyptians and failed. In the process they were made to leave Egypt with the Hyksos to Jerusalem which was the former home of the Hyksos.

Merneptah Stele 1206 BCE

HISTORICAL CONTEXT

l

You are trying to disprove the embellishment of the narrative but your statement was that there was no archaeological evidence for any Israelites in Egypt. Those are two different things. Proving the narrative was embellished doesn't disprove the basis of the narrative.

I am saying that there was an event but it wasn't necessarily as described. There is some basis of truth to the account. Just not for the narrative presented for the numbers. As for them being slaves, they were most likely indentured servants which was common at that time.

There are some biblical details that back up that these events occurred during the rule of Ramesses II. His son was Merneptah who made claim to laying waste to Israel. The book of Exodus describes the Israelites as building two cities; Pithom and Ramses. Under the reign of Seti I and Ramesses II two military garrisons cities - Per Atum and Pi Ramesses were built in the Nile delta and ordered to serve as their military campaigns in the Levant. Given this geographic detail it is believed by many historians that Ramesses II was the intended Pharaoh by the authors of Exodus.

Merneptah Stele 1206 BCE

HISTORICAL CONTEXT

l

You are trying to disprove the embellishment of the narrative but your statement was that there was no archaeological evidence for any Israelites in Egypt. Those are two different things. Proving the narrative was embellished doesn't disprove the basis of the narrative.

I am saying that there was an event but it wasn't necessarily as described. There is some basis of truth to the account. Just not for the narrative presented for the numbers. As for them being slaves, they were most likely indentured servants which was common at that time.

There are some biblical details that back up that these events occurred during the rule of Ramesses II. His son was Merneptah who made claim to laying waste to Israel. The book of Exodus describes the Israelites as building two cities; Pithom and Ramses. Under the reign of Seti I and Ramesses II two military garrisons cities - Per Atum and Pi Ramesses were built in the Nile delta and ordered to serve as their military campaigns in the Levant. Given this geographic detail it is believed by many historians that Ramesses II was the intended Pharaoh by the authors of Exodus.

All these tales are grandiose. Solomon's mines belonged to Egypt and were worked by the Edomites.. The numbers are grandiose and inflated. Jerusalem was less than 10 acres and 800 people. Solomon's stables? The Jews didn't have horses. Joshua didn't destroy the Canaanite cities. They had no huge armies.. These were skirmishes at best.

Merneptah Stele 1206 BCE

HISTORICAL CONTEXT

l

All these tales are grandiose. Solomon's mines belonged to Egypt and were worked by the Edomites.. The numbers are grandiose and inflated. Jerusalem was less than 10 acres and 800 people. Solomon's stables? The Jews didn't have horses. Joshua didn't destroy the Canaanite cities. They had no huge armies.. These were skirmishes at best.
Again... you are arguing against embellishment and concluding there was no basis for any of these accounts.

Live Science
Who built the Egyptian pyramids?
Owen Jarus 3 hrs ago

Egypt's pyramids are an archaeological marvel, rising high above the desert sands and visible for miles on end. Building these pyramids was undoubtedly a mammoth task, so who were the individuals that pulled it off?

a man riding a horse in a desert with Great Pyramid of Giza in the background: A Bedouin on a camel by the Pyramids of Khafre and Menkaure at the Giza Necropolis in Egypt.© Provided by Live Science A Bedouin on a camel by the Pyramids of Khafre and Menkaure at the Giza Necropolis in Egypt.
There are many theories about who built Egypt's pyramids, including large teams of enslaved Jewish people and wilder ideas, such as inhabitants of the 'lost' city of Atlantis or even aliens.

None of these theories, however, have evidence to back them up.

The pyramids could not have been constructed by Jewish slaves, as no archaeological remains that can be directly linked to the Jewish people have been found in Egypt that date back to 4,500 years ago, when the Giza pyramids were built, archaeological research has revealed. Additionally the story told in the Hebrew Bible about Jews being slaves in Egypt refers to a city named "Ramesses." A city named pi-Ramesses was founded during the 19th dynasty (about 1295-1186 B.C.) and was named after Ramesses II, who ruled 1279–1213 BC. This city was constructed after the era of pyramid construction had ended in Egypt.

"We have no clue, not even a single word, about early Israelites in Egypt: neither in monumental inscriptions on walls of temples, nor in tomb inscriptions, nor in papyri," wrote archaeologists Israel Finkelstein and Neil Asher Silberman in their book "The Bible Unearthed: Archaeology's New Vision of Ancient Israel and the Origin of its Sacred Texts" (The Free Press, 2001).

What's more, no archaeological evidence has ever been found for the lost city of Atlantis in any time period, and many scholars believe that the story is fictional. As for aliens, well, that idea is out of this world.

In fact, all the evidence shows that the ancient Egyptians built the pyramids, Egyptologists say. But how the pyramid builders lived, how they were compensated and how they were treated is a mystery that researchers are still investigating.

The pyramids and their builders
Egypt has more than 100 ancient pyramids, but its most famous include the first step pyramid, built during the reign of the pharaoh Djoser (about 2630-2611 B.C.), and the first true pyramid — one that has smooth sides — built under the rule of pharaoh Snefru (about 2575-2551 B.C.), Mark Lehner wrote in his book, "The Complete Pyramids: Solving the Ancient Mysteries" (Thames & Hudson, 2008). The Great Pyramid was constructed at Giza during the reign of pharaoh Khufu (about 2551-2528 B.C.), and two of his successors, Khafre (about 2520-2494 B.C.) and Menkaure (about 2490-2472 B.C.), also had pyramids built at Giza.

Pharaohs gradually stopped building pyramids during the New Kingdom (1550-1070 B.C.), choosing instead to be buried in the Valley of the Kings, which is located about 300 miles (483 km) south of Giza, Lehner noted in his book. Over the past few decades, archaeologists have found new pieces of evidence that provide clues as to who the pyramid builders were and how they lived.

Surviving written records, including papyri discovered in 2013 at Wadi al-Jarf on Egypt's Red Sea coast, indicate that large groups of workers — sometimes translated as "gangs" — helped bring material to Giza. The papyri found at Wadi al-Jarf tell of a group of 200 men headed by an inspector named Merer. The group of workers transported limestone by boat along the Nile River a distance of about 11 miles (18 kilometers) from Tura to the Great Pyramid, where the stone was used to build the outer casing of the monument.

In the past, Egyptologists had theorized that the pyramid builders were largely made up of seasonal agricultural workers who had reached a point in the year in which there was little agricultural work to be done. However, it remains to be seen whether this is actually true. The papyri detailing the pyramid's histories are still in the process of being deciphered and analyzed, but the results indicate that the gang led by Merer did far more than help with pyramid construction.

continued
Farmers on the off season of planting and harvesting....they even had teams and team competitions (they've found graffitti carved in some of the stones bragging about teams.

How can such a supposedly learned person like yourself make the mistake that the claim was ever made that the Hebrews built the pyramids?

I didn't make such a claim. BenCarson claimed that Joseph built the pyramids to store grain.

There are many theories about who built Egypt's pyramids, including large teams of enslaved Jewish people
No such claim exists in the Bible. So why are you trying to imply it was?

Did you see the word "theories"? NOT Bible.
Seems as if you are trying to imply it is. Where else would we have gotten that "theory" from?
stop bickering, kids. Surada says that theories that large crews of enslaved
jews built the pyramids exist------so he/she/it will have no problem coming
up with a citation supporting his/her/its statement

There are many theories about who built Egypt's pyramids, including large teams of enslaved Jewish people

Seems as if you are trying to imply it is. Where else would we have gotten that "theory" from?

You're confused. Jews did not build the Pyramids.

The people who claim the Jews built the pyramids reference mudbricks.. Lucky me I have watched the production of mud bricks.

But I like to bicker, grandma.

The people who claim the Jews built the pyramids reference mudbricks.. Lucky me I have watched the production of mud bricks.
Your thread doesn't support your cover story.

You're confused. Jews did not build the Pyramids.
I doubt she thinks they did. As near as I can tell you are fighting a straw-man of your own making.

Forum List

Back