CDZ Who is the most beautiful First lady ever?

No question. In Modern day First Ladies, It would be Jackie.

Two First Ladies were present when the President was murdered before their eyes. Mary Lincoln and Jackie Kennedy

Mary Lincoln fell to pieces and was never the same. Jackie showed great strength under tremendous difficulty.

Interesting. I heard that Mary Lincoln had suffered from some kind of "illness" before President Lincoln was assassinated, long before. That probably played a big role in her issues afterwards.
She had a nervous breakdown after her son died. But ended up in a mental hospital after Lincoln died
Jackie had every reason to be hysterical widow. But she, and her children showed quiet dignity

Okay, well imagine losing your son and your husband? That is not an easy thing to deal with. I think that losing your child is the worst thing a person could possibly experience. I also read that she suffered from a mental illness, and that this was long-standing.

Was Mary Todd Lincoln Mentally Ill

Two First Ladies were present when the President was murdered before their eyes. Mary Lincoln and Jackie Kennedy

Mary Lincoln fell to pieces and was never the same. Jackie showed great strength under tremendous difficulty.

Interesting. I heard that Mary Lincoln had suffered from some kind of "illness" before President Lincoln was assassinated, long before. That probably played a big role in her issues afterwards.
She had a nervous breakdown after her son died. But ended up in a mental hospital after Lincoln died
Jackie had every reason to be hysterical widow. But she, and her children showed quiet dignity

Okay, well imagine losing your son and your husband? That is not an easy thing to deal with. I think that losing your child is the worst thing a person could possibly experience. I also read that she suffered from a mental illness, and that this was long-standing.

A story I remember is that when their son Willie died, Lincoln was unable to properly grieve. Mary was so hysterical that Lincoln had to worry about consoling her rather than dealing with his own grief

Losing a child was common at the time. Almost every family had to deal with the loss of a child

A story I remember is that when their son Willie died, Lincoln was unable to properly grieve. Mary was so hysterical that Lincoln had to worry about consoling her rather than dealing with his own grief

Losing a child was common at the time. Almost every family had to deal with the loss of a child

Well, that doesn't make it any less difficult, IMO. It is very difficult thing to overcome and to accept, especially if a person is already suffering from some kind of mental or emotional instability, so I feel nothing but compassion for her. To lose her child and husband was probably just overwhelming for her. Some people are not as strong as others.

All time best First Ladies

1. Eleanore Roosevelt
2. Hillary Clinton
3. Jackie Kennedy
4. Dolly Madison
5. Abigail Adams
6. Martha Washington
7. Michelle Obama
8.Edith Wilson
9. Nancy Reagan
10. Barbara Bush

Betty Ford established her Rehab clinic. It takes a lot to admit to her disease, and then she worked help others. Of course this was after they were out of office at the time.

All time best First Ladies

1. Eleanore Roosevelt
2. Hillary Clinton
3. Jackie Kennedy
4. Dolly Madison
5. Abigail Adams
6. Martha Washington
7. Michelle Obama
8.Edith Wilson
9. Nancy Reagan
10. Barbara Bush

Betty Ford established her Rehab clinic. It takes a lot to admit to her disease, and then she worked help others. Of course this was after they were out of office at the time.

Good point

I had a lot of respect for Betty Ford

Well, that doesn't make it any less difficult, IMO. It is very difficult thing to overcome and to accept, especially if a person is already suffering from some kind of mental or emotional instability, so I feel nothing but compassion for her. To lose her child and husband was probably just overwhelming for her. Some people are not as strong as others.

Jackie Kennedy also lost a child while she was in the White House.

Okay . . . but you are aware that some people might be emotionally unstable people to begin with, right? Some people are better at handling stress and loss than others. We are all different.

Well, this thread has turned rather depressing, so let's get back to the first ladies. :) Here is a picture of Jackie when she was a child. She was a beautiful child.

Jacqueline_Bouvier_by_David_Berne,_1935.jpg

I've lost a child and the effects are devastating on many levels. You question your whole life, your belief system, you go through guilt, you put up barriers to keep others from getting close for fear of loss. Marriages after the death of a child is likely to end in divorce. The grieving process for each parent differs. Some get past others immerse themselves into other projects and neglect the healing process. On average it is about 12 years for a person to fully grieve the loss of their child. I won't go into mine, however it is not easy and it changes people, some good, others bad.

I've lost a child and the effects are devastating on many levels. You question your whole life, your belief system, you go through guilt, you put up barriers to keep others from getting close for fear of loss. Marriages after the death of a child is likely to end in divorce. The grieving process for each parent differs. Some get past others immerse themselves into other projects and neglect the healing process. On average it is about 12 years for a person to fully grieve the loss of their child. I won't go into mine, however it is not easy and it changes people, some good, others bad.

Sorry for your loss. :smiliehug: It is helpful to know that you aren't all alone and that other people can totally understand what you are going/have been through.

Sorry to hear that. I am sure it was quite a blow

The point I was trying to make was that in the 1860s diseases like smallpox, whooping cough, influenza as well as common childhood accidents took a large percent of the children. Even the president was not immune
On a side note......Lincoln and Confederate President Jefferson Davis only corresponded twice during the war. Lincoln sent his condolences when Davis' young son was killed in an accident and Davis sent condolences when Lincolns son Willie died

Sorry to hear that. I am sure it was quite a blow

The point I was trying to make was that in the 1860s diseases like smallpox, whooping cough, influenza as well as common childhood accidents took a large percent of the children. Even the president was not immune
On a side note......Lincoln and Confederate President Jefferson Davis only corresponded twice during the war. Lincoln sent his condolences when Davis' young son was killed in an accident and Davis sent condolences when Lincolns son Willie died

Thank you, I understand the time reference and it was more common, I'm not sure if it would be any easier, even if it was more common. Just my opinion.

Thank you for the side note, I find it very interesting in the middle of a war these two leaders had such compassion.

Sorry for your loss. :smiliehug: It is helpful to know that you aren't all alone and that other people can totally understand what you are going/have been through.

Thank you.

Michelle isn't bad looking by any means, but Jackie Kennedy has her beat. For the most part, I don't think we've had many ugly First Ladies.

EDIT: Unless Hillary is elected in 2016. Bill would make an ugly First Lady. :D

Michelle isn't bad looking by any means, but Jackie Kennedy has her beat. For the most part, I don't think we've had many ugly First Ladies.

EDIT: Unless Hillary is elected in 2016. Bill would make an ugly First Lady. :D

Jackie had a certain elegance but was very shy

Michelle Obama has beauty, a sense for fashion and the ability to speak before thousands

Michelle Obama is a beautiful woman and a great role model

Forum List

Back