Who Should Have The Right To Vote?

We've come a long way in this country. At the start, voting laws were determined on a state by state basis. Many required land ownership for voting rights. Women and colored people were not necessarily excluded since they too have been landowners since well before the start of this country. The concept was that those who had no investment in this country should have no say in in our government, a concept not without merit.

These days it seems we've accepted this idiotic notion that everyone should be able to vote. It's created a serious conflict of interest when people dependent on government are able to vote to increase and sustain such dependence extorting the toils of the producers in this country.

So here's my proposal. Zero liability voters should be banned!

That's right. If you're a net consumer of government, you don't get to vote. It's perfectly fair since I'm the one paying taxes to fund your entitlements. This doesn't include people on Social Security. They paid into that and they deserve to draw from it. That isn't welfare.

But for those of you who pay ZERO taxes, who are on welfare, foodstamps, or disability, I don't hate you, I have no animosity toward you, but I don't think you should have the right to vote in this country.

I think you should have a law degree to discuss constitutional issues.

how does that suit you?

Should rich people who pay zero taxes be permitted to vote? People with large amounts of debt? Where does this foolishness end?

I'll pass on the apartheid, thanks. Too much of a slippery slope to regulate and too much government interferance.

What happened to small government?

Their point is that poor people should not be allowed to vote for people who give them "free stuff". But wealthy people who get more "free stuff" than anyone else are looked at as the ideal voter

Wealthy people pay taxes,and most dont get shit back. Enlighten me,what do I get back for my tax dollars?
People on welfare pay nothing.

The Golden Rule: He who has the gold, makes the rules

The wealthy get back significantly more than they pay in. Unlike the poor who receive money directly to pay for food, housing and medical care, the wealthy receive payment in the form of government infrastructure, incentives, labor laws, environmental laws all constructed to ensure that wealth continues to flow to the highest levels

Should rich people who pay zero taxes be permitted to vote? People with large amounts of debt? Where does this foolishness end?

I'll pass on the apartheid, thanks. Too much of a slippery slope to regulate and too much government interferance.

Their point is that poor people should not be allowed to vote for people who give them "free stuff". But wealthy people who get more "free stuff" than anyone else are looked at as the ideal voter

Wealthy people pay taxes,and most dont get shit back. Enlighten me,what do I get back for my tax dollars?

No, they do pay "something." They pay state taxes in the form of the (6% for example in MD) state sales tax that most states have. Furthermore, anyone who owns a car pays money to the MVA and the tax on the car itself. Not all low-income people avoid paying tax, some pay more than some millionaires who avoid taxes altogether.

If a farmer is receiving government subsidies to farm....should he be allowed to vote?

The farmer wants to farm. The gov doesnt want him to.
So who do you blame?
But I'll say no,he shouldnt be able to vote if he's just sitting back and collecting a check for nothing. Thats no different than welfare.

So you want more government agents fanning out across the nation to interview people to see if they "really" want to work?

What a dumbass statement...
You dont think the lazy fucks will come to the gov on their own looking for a hand out?

We've come a long way in this country. At the start, voting laws were determined on a state by state basis. Many required land ownership for voting rights. Women and colored people were not necessarily excluded since they too have been landowners since well before the start of this country. The concept was that those who had no investment in this country should have no say in in our government, a concept not without merit.

These days it seems we've accepted this idiotic notion that everyone should be able to vote. It's created a serious conflict of interest when people dependent on government are able to vote to increase and sustain such dependence extorting the toils of the producers in this country.

That's right. If you're a net consumer of government, you don't get to vote. It's perfectly fair since I'm the one paying taxes to fund your entitlements. This doesn't include people on Social Security. They paid into that and they deserve to draw from it. That isn't welfare.

But for those of you who pay ZERO taxes, who are on welfare, foodstamps, or disability, I don't hate you, I have no animosity toward you, but I don't think you should have the right to vote in this country.

how does that suit you?

If you're in a court room that would be wise.....

The wealthy get back significantly more than they pay in. Unlike the poor who receive money directly to pay for food, housing and medical care, the wealthy receive payment in the form of government infrastructure, incentives, labor laws, environmental laws all constructed to ensure that wealth continues to flow to the highest levels

What a crock of shit.
You keep telling me how much I get back from my gov. Again...enlighten me so I can use this ill gotten wealth that appears ....nowhere.

What a crock of shit.
You keep telling me how much I get back from my gov. Again...enlighten me so I can use this ill gotten wealth that appears ....nowhere.

How much did you pay in tax last year? Did you avoid all roads? You never once benefited from having police guard your home? You did not enjoy the benefit of subsidized oil that lowered the price you pay at the pump?

Guess all YOUR money went to paying for someone's drug habit via EBT cards and such?

If a farmer is receiving government subsidies to farm....should he be allowed to vote?

The farmer wants to farm. The gov doesnt want him to.
So who do you blame?
But I'll say no,he shouldnt be able to vote if he's just sitting back and collecting a check for nothing. Thats no different than welfare.

So you want more government agents fanning out across the nation to interview people to see if they "really" want to work?

What a dumbass statement...
You dont think the lazy fucks will come to the gov on their own looking for a hand out?

So, who gets to vote?

What are the qualifiers ... who gets disqualified?

It can't be done, why are you bitching about it? There are things that can be accomplished, why aren't you addressing them?

Anyone and everyone subject to US laws should be able to vote for the people making those laws.

how does that suit you?

If you're in a court room that would be wise.....

Sucks being you

Good illustration of this question is Puerto Rico. They're subject to US laws, can be drafted, yet can't vote for Commanders-in-Chief?

What a crock of shit.

I don't really know you but:

Did you or your kids attend a public school or university
Did you get a tax write off for your home or children?
Do you receive police and fire protection?
Do you have open access to public roads and infrastructure?

Anyone and everyone subject to US laws should be able to vote for the people making those laws.

That would be an admirable sentiment if some people weren't MORE subject to the law than others.

No, they do pay "something." They pay state taxes in the form of the (6% for example in MD) state sales tax that most states have. Furthermore, anyone who owns a car pays money to the MVA and the tax on the car itself. Not all low-income people avoid paying tax, some pay more than some millionaires who avoid taxes altogether.

I'll add you to the long list of people who don't know what "net consumer of government" means.

Who in their right mind can disagree with this?
If you have no skin in the game you wont do whats right for the country,only that which will further enrich you at the cost of the tax payer.
It's a no brainer really.
Everyone who lives here has skin in the game. The idea that renters aren't tax payers is false, the taxes are factored into the rents, or aren't people supposed to be able to figure that out.

If mainstream Republican politicians adopted the radical idea of restricting people with lower incomes from voting as part of their platform then they would probably ensure Democratic majorities for the foreseeable future. Good luck convincing them.

What a crock of shit.

I don't really know you but:

Did you or your kids attend a public school or university
Did you get a tax write off for your home or children?
Do you receive police and fire protection?
Do you have open access to public roads and infrastructure?

So what? What does this even mean?

Who should be allowed to vote, IMO, only those with an IQ above 110.

Who should be allowed to vote, IMO, only those with an IQ above 110.
Does that mean your IQ is 111? Why have any arbitrary limits on voting beyond age? Disinterested citizens tend not to vote anyway, it takes care of itself.

Forum List

Back