Votes: 15 41.7%
  • Franklin D. Roosevelt

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • jfk

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • barak obama

Votes: 3 8.3%

• Total voters
I claim that minimum wage would help pay the rent in 1976 and you start babbling about what a house cost and "leftists do not like property ownership"

Seems you are the one deflecting

my post was clear a two dollar an hour job

would not buy a 54 thousand dollar home

you

replied with interpreting what you said

who cares in the American dream of owning a home

fuck em let them live paycheck to paycheck in a rented place

Like talking in circles with you

Who ever claimed you could buy a $54,000 house on minimum wage?
Where did I ever say anything negative about owning a home? I own two
hey dumb shit

that was the average price of a home in that year
God damn....you are thick

We are talking about what someone making $2.10 an hour could afford. Don't think houses are in that pay grade

you lamely tried to claim that the minimum wage was better then then now

"As conservatives like to point out, minimum wage is a starter wage. But starting what? It will no longer pay your college tuition, won't buy a car or help pay the rent

It did in 1976"

it didnt buy a car then anymore then now

minimum wage today same as it did in 76 "helps" pay the rent

I actually worked for minimum wage ($2.10) in 1976. I worked summers for three months and it paid my years college tuition

A brand new Ford Pinto, Chevy Vega or VW cost $2000. Six months work to buy a brand new car. What kind of new car can you buy today for $7500?

My first apartment in 1978 cost $150 a month. A little less than half of what a minimum wage worker would make in a month.

Minimum wage used to provide a "starter" salary on which you could get started in life. College, a car, a place to live

Can't do that anymore....we have to protect corporate profits

Depends on who you were and what skills you had. My grandfather lived through the Great Depression. He had an 8th grade education. He took it upon himself to do better in life and owned several businesses, although not at the same time, over a 50 year span.

Your grandfather worked at a time that unions made sure working people got a fair shake and a fair wage.

He didn't work for one.

Seems you define fair shake as extorting business owners in order to get people a wage above what the skills were worth. The government mandates an unskilled toilet scrubber get $7.25/hour minimum. There is no way that unskilled position is worth that much.

you

hey dumb shit

We are talking about what someone making $2.10 an hour could afford. Don't think houses are in that pay grade

"As conservatives like to point out, minimum wage is a starter wage. But starting what? It will no longer pay your college tuition, won't buy a car or help pay the rent

It did in 1976"

I actually worked for minimum wage ($2.10) in 1976. I worked summers for three months and it paid my years college tuition

A brand new Ford Pinto, Chevy Vega or VW cost $2000. Six months work to buy a brand new car. What kind of new car can you buy today for $7500?

My first apartment in 1978 cost $150 a month. A little less than half of what a minimum wage worker would make in a month.

Minimum wage used to provide a "starter" salary on which you could get started in life. College, a car, a place to live

At what community college?

You seem to forget that the skills to do that minimum wage job then are the same as they are now. Minimum wage has increased since then and on a higher rate than the skills to do that job have increased.

What you propose doing is protecting those who haven't done a damn thing to improve their skills.

He didn't work for one.

He didn't have to. Unions raised the average, so even some dumb-ass redneck with an 8th grade education got paid more than he was worth. That's the whole point, Cleetus.

That's why as union membership has declined, so has the middle class.

unionincome.jpg

Seems you define fair shake as extorting business owners in order to get people a wage above what the skills were worth. The government mandates an unskilled toilet scrubber get $7.25/hour minimum. There is no way that unskilled position is worth that much.

That depends on your point of view. Frankly, I want to shit in a sanitary bathroom. So I want that per son to be well compensated. Keeping places like that sanitary controls diseases so I don't get sick when I have to use them.

On the other hand, some CEO who gets 12 million for running his company so badly it requires a government bailout, that guy is probably overpaid.

hey dumb shit

It did in 1976"

You seem to forget that the skills to do that minimum wage job then are the same as they are now. Minimum wage has increased since then and on a higher rate than the skills to do that job have increased.

What you propose doing is protecting those who haven't done a damn thing to improve their skills.

I went to the State University of New York. It cost $650 a year for tuition. The reason tuition was so low was that the state still subsidized much of the cost of tuition. As Republican austerity took hold, students had to pick up more and more of the cost of higher education.

hey dumb shit

It did in 1976"

I went to the State University of New York. It cost $650 a year for tuition. The reason tuition was so low was that the state still subsidized much of the cost of tuition. As Republican austerity took hold, students had to pick up more and more of the cost of higher education.

So, a State university.

So you were a leech that had the taxpayers fund it for you?

It's not austerity. It's called letting the parents of the kids getting the education support their own kids. It's not the responsibility of the taxpayers to provide you with a college education.

He didn't work for one.

He didn't have to. Unions raised the average, so even some dumb-ass redneck with an 8th grade education got paid more than he was worth. That's the whole point, Cleetus.

That's why as union membership has declined, so has the middle class.

unionincome.jpg

That depends on your point of view. Frankly, I want to shit in a sanitary bathroom. So I want that per son to be well compensated. Keeping places like that sanitary controls diseases so I don't get sick when I have to use them.

On the other hand, some CEO who gets 12 million for running his company so badly it requires a government bailout, that guy is probably overpaid.

Unions can't raise an average when unions don't exist in the area.

The businesses ran only have an 8th grade education made far more than any job you've ever worked even with the education you claim to have. It's not the level sometimes as much as it is the person. You couldn't run shit if your life depended on it. Sounds to me as if someone with an 8th grade education out did you.

It did in 1976"

So, a State university.

It's not austerity. It's called letting the parents of the kids getting the education support their own kids. It's not the responsibility of the taxpayers to provide you with a college education.

I fully acknowledge and appreciate the role taxpayers played in allowing me to achieve an affordable education without going into debt.

My father was a union man working to support four children on a single paycheck. Expecting him to pay full tuition for four children was not going to happen. Thankfully, people cared more about higher education then and all four children were able to graduate college

It did in 1976"

So, a State university.

I fully acknowledge and appreciate the role taxpayers played in allowing me to achieve an affordable education without going into debt.

My father was a union man working to support four children on a single paycheck. Expecting him to pay full tuition for four children was not going to happen. Thankfully, people cared more about higher education then and all four children were able to graduate college

If they were REQUIRED to pay the taxes, they didn't have a say.

I care about higher education. I have plenty of it and provide my daughters with it. That's my responsibility not the taxpayers. Unlike you who thinks it's owed to you, I don't. I'm more than willing to be responsible for my kids. Apparently your dad wasn't.

you

hey dumb shit

It did in 1976"

you think you are the only one who worked in 1976

the low wage sucked then as well

that is why by the time i was fifteen i had my own businesses

selling turtles in the summer and contracting bean weeding

while in the winter running a full trap line

oh btw according to the math

A brand new Ford Pinto, Chevy Vega or VW cost $2000.

for that 1/2 year of work you would have to use every penny of what you earned

2.10x1040=2184

you just keep digging yourself a deeper and deeeper hole --LOL

but you like to low ball thing as well

Classic Car models from the 1970s with photos, prices and descriptions

So, a State university.

I care about higher education. I have plenty of it and provide my daughters with it. That's my responsibility not the taxpayers. Unlike you who thinks it's owed to you, I don't. I'm more than willing to be responsible for my kids. Apparently your dad wasn't.

All taxpayers have a say...every November

EVERY American is owed an education.......it is what civilized societies do

So, a State university.

not all of them

felons for example do not have a say

So, a State university.

Not a college education. Civilized individuals don't expect others to provide to their kids what they won't do themselves. That's not an investment. It's a leech demanding someone do something for him.

What's sad is that many of those that have a say don't contribute to the pot from which they say they are owed.

No one owed your dad's kids a college education. They were FORCED to do it. So much for Liberals believing people have a choice.

So, a State university.

not all of them

Not my problem if you lost your right to vote

So, a State university.

not all of them

Not my problem if you lost your right to vote

of course you resort to lying it is all you have fuck head

So, a State university.

not all of them

If Liberals had their way, felons would. They think those not contributing to the pot that they believe all of society should do should have a say in how that money from the pot is spent.

Forum List

Back