Why are judges not MADE to recuse themselves when there's obviously a Conflict?

forkintheroad7

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2024
There certainly should not be an OPTION to recuse.

The fox is asked politely not to target the henhouse?!

from site (emphasis added)

"Democrat Manhattan Judge Juan Merchan, who donated to Biden’s campaign and another anti-Trump cause in 2020, has a clear judicial bias against President Trump," Stefanik, the House Republican Conference chair, said late Tuesday. "Merchan’s adult daughter is a Democrat political operative who has financially benefited from her father’s unprecedented trial of President Trump."

"When Trump raised this additional evidence of Judge Merchan’s bias, Merchan retaliated by expanding his unconstitutional gag order on Trump," Stefanik added. "The law and common sense absolutely requires Judge Merchan’s recusal from President Trump’s trial. We cannot allow a biased, far-left activist judge to strip the American people of our constitutional right to select [our] own leaders."

.Translation -- "I can't answer your question. Stop picking on us.".
Your loony conspiracies had no effect on the legal system.

Seeing that, you ... keep repeating the conspiracy theories.

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting different results."
-- Rita Mae Brown (though often incorrectly attributed to Einstein)

Last edited:
That question has been asked regarding Justices Thomas and Alito also.

WW

While a fair point, there is nothing in the Constitution that requires SCOTUS justices to do it and the other branches cannot mandate it on them, but generally anyone below the SCOTUS is held to 28 U.S.C. § 455(a) at the federal level and various state rules or statutes at the state level.

Anyway, I don't have a dog in the fight here. I literally watched none of the trial, read none of the reporting, and really don't care that much about this case. The verdict was predestined and is of no real political consequence. As far as I am concerned, love him or hate him, Trump is the President-Elect, and I will once again be voting for the Green Party if they can get on the Virginia ballot, or the Libertarian dude if GPUS doesn't make it.

"Democrat Manhattan Judge Juan Merchan, who donated to Biden’s campaign and another anti-Trump cause in 2020, has a clear judicial bias against President Trump," Stefanik, the House Republican Conference chair, said late Tuesday. "Merchan’s adult daughter is a Democrat political operative who has financially benefited from her father’s unprecedented trial of President Trump."

"When Trump raised this additional evidence of Judge Merchan’s bias, Merchan retaliated by expanding his unconstitutional gag order on Trump," Stefanik added. "The law and common sense absolutely requires Judge Merchan’s recusal from President Trump’s trial. We cannot allow a biased, far-left activist judge to strip the American people of our constitutional right to select [our] own leaders."
Judge Merchan donated $15 to the Biden campaign, and his daughter has been in marketing as her career for over a decade, with democratic politicians mostly as clients with the firms she worked at....

Judge Merchan when asked to recuse, brought it before the Judicial Ethics Board to get their advise on it, and the Ethics board said there was no conflict of interest, and he did not meet the standard to recuse himself. So, Merchan did not.

Pretty rotten of Trumpers to not mention that Merchan took this step and would have followed what the ethics board recommended. And that the donation was $15....you don't mention the amount and mostly try to deceive Trumpers in to believing he was a big contributor to his campaign.

Judge Merchan donated $15 to the Biden campaign, and his daughter has been in marketing as her career for over a decade, with democratic politicians mostly as clients with the firms she worked at....

Judge Merchan when asked to recuse, brought it before the Judicial Ethics Board to get their advise on it, and the Ethics board said there was no conflict of interest, and he did not meet the standard to recuse himself. So, Merchan did not.

Pretty rotten of Trumpers to not mention that Merchan took this step and would have followed what the ethics board recommended. And that the donation was $15....you don't mention the amount and mostly try to deceive Trumpers in to believing he was a big contributor to his campaign.
Give us a link to prove this because it's the first time I've heard of it. We have heard over and over that M refused, absolutely refused to do that

Then there is this: It was $35 not $15, so why should we believe you?

AND he wasn't supposed to donate ANYTHING at all. I believe it was actually against the law for him to do that..

so he demands that everyone else follow every jot and tittle of the law but he doesn't have to ... typical dim
:rolleyes:

While a fair point, there is nothing in the Constitution that requires SCOTUS justices to do it and the other branches cannot mandate it on them, but generally anyone below the SCOTUS is held to 28 U.S.C. § 455(a) at the federal level and various state rules or statutes at the state level.

Anyway, I don't have a dog in the fight here. I literally watched none of the trial, read none of the reporting, and really don't care that much about this case. The verdict was predestined and is of no real political consequence. As far as I am concerned, love him or hate him, Trump is the President-Elect, and I will once again be voting for the Green Party if they can get on the Virginia ballot, or the Libertarian dude if GPUS doesn't make it.
that's just throwing away your vote

Honestly, we need to look beyond the judges also..how many of our Congress decisions are swayed by lobbyists and people who make large donations to their campaigns.

If you look at it like that, our entire government is on the take.

Honestly, we need to look beyond the judges also..how many of our Congress decisions are swayed by lobbyists and people who make large donations to their campaigns.

If you look at it like that, our entire government is on the take.
I knew that many many moons ago

What happened to Trump couldn't have happened without a lot of "help" from the dims in the admin,

that's just throwing away your vote
My vote to throw away then not that you are actually correct. It is not a matter of be in the winning team. It is a matter of trying to help a third party get matching funds. It is no different than voting red in California or blue in Florida if you see it as "throwing away" a vote. Your squad has lost before the starting whistle.

They can be forced, by another court.

/thread

I knew that many many moons ago

What happened to Trump couldn't have happened without a lot of "help" from the dims in the admin,
Well, I think more focus needs to be put on Matt colangelo…I just think there’s something fishy about a Biden DOJ official leaving the doj help Bragg with the the case against Trump.

That needs some investigation

Well, I think more focus needs to be put on Matt colangelo…I just think there’s something fishy about a Biden DOJ official leaving the doj help Bragg with the the case against Trump.

That needs some investigation
no kidding. the whole damn thing needs to be investigated

I know Bragg has some skeletons... let's rattle some of them

:)

Generally, up to the judge themselves to determine...a judgment call.

martha news.jpg

Forum List

Back