Why are the liberals so scared of voter ID?

The only reason I've heard was cost.

If the government agrees to provide a free ID card, I'm one Liberal who's all for requiring ID to vote.

how many americans currently have no form of ID? old people have medicare cards, poor people have welfare cards and food stamp cards.

Is your objection aimed at finding ways for illegal aliens to vote?

The problems will occur after republicans push through their voter ID. They will require stricter and stricter standards for acceptable ID and I can assure you that welfare and food stamp cards will not be one of them

We should have to supply the very same documents to get a voter ID, as is necessary to renew one's car registration in New Jersey.

how many americans currently have no form of ID? old people have medicare cards, poor people have welfare cards and food stamp cards.

The problems will occur after republicans push through their voter ID. They will require stricter and stricter standards for acceptable ID and I can assure you that welfare and food stamp cards will not be one of them

We should have to supply the very same documents to get a voter ID, as is necessary to renew one's car registration in New Jersey.

I renew my registration online......should we vote that way also?

Voter ID is dangerous because it's yet another incremental advance of government that tracks, monitors and controls our behavior in the name of public "safety". And, as usual, the dangers are overblown; the real motive is always power.

But, again how many people do not have any form of ID in today's world?

Why New Photo ID Laws Mean Some Won't Vote

"I get that all the time: 'What's the big deal? I just got my driver's license renewed, it took like five seconds,' " says Larry Norden, acting director of the Democracy Program at the Brennan Center for Justice at New York University, which opposes these laws. "Frankly, that's why these laws have been so successful, because 89 percent of the population does have photo IDs."

That leaves another 3.2 million Americans who don't possess a government-issued picture ID, according to a recent study co-authored by Norden.[...]

By all estimates, those least likely to have a government-issued photo ID fall into one of four categories: the elderly, minorities, the poor and young adults aged 18 to 24. The Brennan Center estimates that 18 percent of all seniors and 25 percent of African-Americans don't have picture IDs.

How Voter ID Laws Impact Older Americans

The midwife at the 1949 home birth in rural South Carolina delivered a healthy baby girl but didn't file a birth certificate. Donna Jean Suggs grew up, got a Social Security card and found work as a home health aide. Try as she might, though, she couldn't get a birth certificate. That meant she couldn't get a driver's license or register to vote.

Nearly one in five citizens over 65 — about 8 million — lacks a current, government-issued photo ID, a 2006 Brennan Center study found. Most people prove their eligibility to vote with a driver's license, but people over 65 often give up their license and don't replace it with the state-issued ID that some states offer non-driving residents. People over 65 also are more likely to lack birth certificates because they were born before recording births was standard procedure.

A whopping 43 percent of Philly voters may not have voter ID, according to new data

So the question is, how many voters are you willing to disenfranchise in order to stop ID fraud from occurring? (Which happens, what, 0.005% of the time?)

LOL, you post something from NPR and expect it to be factual? you are deluded, wytch.

Voter ID is dangerous because it's yet another incremental advance of government that tracks, monitors and controls our behavior in the name of public "safety". And, as usual, the dangers are overblown; the real motive is always power.

are you also opposed to drivers licenses, passports, credit cards, car registration, deeds to property, and boat titles?

are these things all power grabs? are you on drugs?

are you also opposed to drivers licenses, passports, credit cards, car registration, deeds to property, and boat titles?

are these things all power grabs? are you on drugs?

Yes. I'm on drugs. And yes, all these have been incremental 'power grabs', implemented by statists in the name of protecting us from boogeymen.

"I get that all the time: 'What's the big deal? I just got my driver's license renewed, it took like five seconds,' " says Larry Norden, acting director of the Democracy Program at the Brennan Center for Justice at New York University, which opposes these laws. "Frankly, that's why these laws have been so successful, because 89 percent of the population does have photo IDs."

That leaves another 3.2 million Americans who don't possess a government-issued picture ID, according to a recent study co-authored by Norden.[...]

By all estimates, those least likely to have a government-issued photo ID fall into one of four categories: the elderly, minorities, the poor and young adults aged 18 to 24. The Brennan Center estimates that 18 percent of all seniors and 25 percent of African-Americans don't have picture IDs.

The midwife at the 1949 home birth in rural South Carolina delivered a healthy baby girl but didn't file a birth certificate. Donna Jean Suggs grew up, got a Social Security card and found work as a home health aide. Try as she might, though, she couldn't get a birth certificate. That meant she couldn't get a driver's license or register to vote.

Nearly one in five citizens over 65 — about 8 million — lacks a current, government-issued photo ID, a 2006 Brennan Center study found. Most people prove their eligibility to vote with a driver's license, but people over 65 often give up their license and don't replace it with the state-issued ID that some states offer non-driving residents. People over 65 also are more likely to lack birth certificates because they were born before recording births was standard procedure.

A whopping 43 percent of Philly voters may not have voter ID, according to new data

So the question is, how many voters are you willing to disenfranchise in order to stop ID fraud from occurring? (Which happens, what, 0.005% of the time?)

LOL, you post something from NPR and expect it to be factual? you are deluded, wytch.

I guess Breitbart and The Blaze wasn't available

Jesus fucking Christ! Now NPR isn't good enough? You people have gone off the deep end.

Jesus fucking Christ! Now NPR isn't good enough? You people have gone off the deep end.

The Lord does not like it when you talk about his son that way.:eusa_hand:

NPR is a liberal talking point outlet. They do not deal in facts, they deal in left wing propaganda

0.15% of americans MAY not have a valid picture ID

Voter ID Laws ? How Many People Really Don?t Have Photo IDs? | Uncommon Misconceptions

as usual, you are full of shit, wytchey

What objection? :dunno:

I said that I FAVOR requiring ID to vote, provided that an acceptable form of ID be provided for free.

Medicare cards would NOT be an acceptable form of ID because they are handed out to everyone who works for 10+ years, regardless of citizenship. Voters should be required to produce a government issued PHOTO identification card.

We agree. If an american citizen does not have any form of govt ID (and that has to be a tiny number) then he/she should be able to get one at no cost.

A surprising number here in FL. In the work I do I ask every customer for their ID and I see several people a week who tell me that they can't afford the $50 for a state ID or the $90 plus for a passport. I see a lot of expired ID's too.

It's a matter of choice and logistics. I see several Concealed Carry permits every month too. Most of those folks can also produce a valid state ID or DL, but I've seen more than one who carried only their concealed carry permit.

The problem with state issued ID's, Drivers Licenses and even Concealed Carry permits is that they don't address citizenship at all. We, The People, should give free passports to all of us. I maintain one 'cause the only Americans who can prove their citizenship are those who've been naturalized with a certificate and passport holders. I also like to travel. :wink_2:

The Lord does not like it when you talk about his son that way.:eusa_hand:

NPR is a liberal talking point outlet. They do not deal in facts, they deal in left wing propaganda

Yup, jumped the shark. Easy to dismiss the source so you don't have to deal with the facts or the question, right Fishy? Can't provide any facts to the contrary so dismiss the whole thing. Great tactic. Works so well in a debate.

How many voters are you willing to disenfranchise to stop Voting Fraud? (that could actually be prevented by showing photo ID...because that is the requirement, not your Medicare or SS card, photo ID issued by the state)

What's your ratio? 100 to one? 1000 to one? I say when the amount of fraud you stop equals the numbers of Americans without these photo IDs, then you put the law in place.

How many states accept those as valid forms of ID to vote?

I don't know, do you? you have to show some form of ID to register, why not show the same one to vote? most states accept pay stubs, utility bills, etc.
you on the left are making a big deal out of nothing.

Are you saying that proof of address on a cable bill should be sufficient ID for voting purposes?

As I said above, ID, including most forms of government issued ID, do NOT prove citizenship. Only Passports, Certificates of Naturalization and certified Birth Certificates prove citizenship.

If the government starts handing out passports to any citizen who wants one, I'm all in favor of requiring ID to vote. The cost of poll workers verifying birth certificates is prohibitive.

:eusa_think: Voter registration cards with a photo and an actual background check for citizenship and voting privileges would also work. They're a joke here in Florida.

0.15% of americans MAY not have a valid picture ID

Voter ID Laws ? How Many People Really Don?t Have Photo IDs? | Uncommon Misconceptions

as usual, you are full of shit, wytchey

You dismiss a reputable news organization and independent studies and come back with a blog post?

You need to take a look at some of these state laws Fishy. A maiden name or address that doesn't match will get you turned away or voting provisionally.

NA-AT496_BALLOT_NS_20081027194818.gif

One question... How many NON-citizens in Jersey own cars?

If the government starts handing out passports to any citizen who wants one, I'm all in favor of requiring ID to vote. The cost of poll workers verifying birth certificates is prohibitive.
I'd still be opposed. The issue isn't cost.

Regardless of the motivations (which lets face it, are purely political and partisan), the net effects of voter ID laws will be to intimidate people away from the polls who might have fears about IDing themselves to government agents. And with Obama's ever-expanding police state, that includes more and more of us with every new law they pass.

Black people and Hispanics don't have a drivers licence??? Should we now just say.. "Hey, all minorities are too fucking stupid to get a driver's license or photo ID so screw it.. They don't need ID at all for anything."

LIBRUL LOGIC 101- If it's BULLSHIT, it's leftist.

Forum List

Back