Why are there so Many Different Fiscal Rankings of the States?

william the wie

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2009
Night before last my wife told me she had seen a report on PBS that Kentucky was one of the five worst financed states in the union. That struck me as strange. So, I just checked for recent rankings of states by solvency.

There are at least five recent financial rankings of states and another five I am aware of mostly moving companies that are leading indicators of financial trouble.

Illinois and New Jersey having huge budget problems is not a surprise but Maine which is also in budget limbo currently was a surprise. So, I am wondering if there is any set of rankings that even came close to getting these three right as the first to start treading water?

Night before last my wife told me she had seen a report on PBS that Kentucky was one of the five worst financed states in the union. That struck me as strange. So, I just checked for recent rankings of states by solvency.

There are at least five recent financial rankings of states and another five I am aware of mostly moving companies that are leading indicators of financial trouble.

Illinois and New Jersey having huge budget problems is not a surprise but Maine which is also in budget limbo currently was a surprise. So, I am wondering if there is any set of rankings that even came close to getting these three right as the first to start treading water?

Are you going to provide links for the ten rankings you've encountered and/or reviewed?

Start here:

State Debt Per Capita

Forum List

Back