Why can't Public Assistance increase?

By the way, 1%er, not sure if you saw my earlier question. In your view, should self-employed business owners be required to pay themselves a 'living wage'?

You should make a minimum of two to three times or more what you made as an employee.

Ahh.. ok, so, in your view, minimum wage for self-employed person should be even higher than it is for regular employees? What if they fail to pay themselves this minimum, what should the penalty be? A fine? Jail time?

This statement of his proves that he has never started a business.

I just started a business about a year ago. It's a bistro in a small town. My staff makes more money than me. In fact, I am actually losing money at this point. The business is doing fine... another year, and I will be making a decent profit... by decent, I mean that I won't be losing money anymore. But it takes a lot of time and patience to grow a business and turn a profit.

LMFAO.... As opposed to now, when the absolute geniuses at Mickey D's jump right in there and fix the broken shake machine instead of telling the customer... "our machine broke, sorry!"

And that's happened to me several times. The last time that happened, I was at Burger King. They told me I could order anything but burgers. :badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

the rules of supply and demand are real. why do brain surgeons make more than burger flippers? Why are diamonds worth more than granite? supply and demand.

I don't understand why that is so hard for the liberal mind to grasp.

Supply and demand works almost perfectly until you throw a monkey wrench into the system like unions, minimum wage increases, or foreigners.

While we don't have to worry about unions too much, foreigners are the biggest problem; another thing that liberals have a hard time grasping.

Fortunately, there is an endless supply of mindless unskilled people available able to say "Welcome to McDonalds, may I take your order?

Hardly worth $31,200 per year.

That's what seems nuts to me. Minimum wages laws make these jobs illegal. If both employer and employee can agree on a wage why does it need to be illegal?

Minimum wage laws make it illegal to pay less than minimum wage.

It doesn't make it illegal not to hire at all. If you'r skill is not worth the minimum wage I wont hire you.

On second thought, if you're seeking the minimum wage, whatever amount is, you got no skill.

In 1932, when FDR introduced it, he said: "Any company that can't pay it's workers a decent living wage has no business in America!" Clearly, his plan didn't work because we still hear the same exact rant from the progressives. Raise the minimum wage and the corporations simply re-tool the formulas, lay people off, increase prices, downsize operations, increase productivity demands and life goes on. NEVER does the increase come out of the great big giant profit bucket.

The aspect that's ignored by this perspective is that all of society is to 'blame' for not valuing certain kinds of work very highly. The reason fast-food joints can't afford to pay people very much to make fast food is that we, as consumers, don't value fast food very much. If it costs much more, we'll not bother with it. That's the case for a lot of services that are optional. We'll pay for them if they're cheap, but go without if they're expensive.

What I don't understand is why some people feel justified in making these kinds of decisions for others. If someone else wants to work for peanuts, why should that be illegal?
'Fast-food joints can't afford to pay people very much' is a lie. I've angel invested fast food stores, I know the numbers.

It's not question can they afford to pay more, but how much unskilled labor is worth.

Lets try the other way around. Have you ever run the business?

Does a fire dispatcher require any more education than a McDonalds employee?

It makes no difference at all regarding what the job is worth. Even if working at McDonalds required a PhD in Chemistry, it wouldn't be worth much because most of us don't value burgers that much. You should really think about this, because I think it's key to your confusion on this issue.

It makes no difference at all regarding what the job is worth. Even if working at McDonalds required a PhD in Chemistry, it wouldn't be worth much because most of us don't value burgers that much. You should really think about this, because I think it's key to your confusion on this issue.

WTF? Because YOU don't value burgers, employees of burger joints shouldn't be paid a living wage?

I would like to know are you talking about "living wage" in New York or in Beaver City.

Why can't we just cut it to ZERO???
Because every non-third-world-nation in the World recognizes that part of the social contract of an enlightened society is that we care for our poor. I'm sorry if you cannot recognize the social, economic, and health benefits of reducing poverty in our nation. Perhaps you should move to one of those third-world countries where they don't care, and let the rich freely rape, and pillage the poor.
No...
First, where is this social contract?
Second,. We do not take care of the poor. Able bodied people who are collecting benefits because it is easier to work at menial jobs and collect, should be given a period of time to find gainful employment. Their stipend will no longer be paid. Rather, the money will go to either a tech school or a adult continuing education school of the client's choice. If the student meets attendance guidelines and makes passing grades, the money keeps flowing. Upon graduation or earning of certificate, once the client finds a job, the money stops.
We should be caring for those who cannot care for themselves. That includes, the very young who have lost their parents. The disabled( mentally of physically( and these people with little aches and pains like this carpal tunnel crap and those with letters from their doctor) should not be eligible...and of course the way we toss our senior citizens aside is a disgrace.

I don't get what's so hard for other people to get this simple notion. Somebody who has Down's Syndrome, I'm ok helping. A 80 year old retired person, I'm ok helping. A minor who has no family, I'm ok helping. Somebody with a physical disability that prevents them from working (like ALS), I'm ok helping.

An able-bodied 35 year old adult who wants to sit on their ass eating Cheetos all day? I'm not ok helping. A person whose only qualifications are working at McDonald's due to decisions they made earlier in their life, I'm not ok helping.

Why shouldn't McDonalds pay a living wage, after all, they are making BIG bucks.
Because it takes no or little skill to work in a fast food joint.
This type of work is NOT a career. It is entry level ( the workforce) work designed to set people on their way to other things which require more skill. THAT is where people EARN more. By acquiring SKILLS. Not by entrenching themselves in menial no skill jobs, hooking up, pumping out a couple of crumb crunchers then screeching to their boss that they can't make their friggin trailer rental payment.
Now this stupid living wage debate is over. No franchise business owner is going to bury themselves in debt trying to pay over the market rate wages just to make YOU happy.

Which financial product didn't loose value in 2007-2008 crash?

The cash in my pocket.

You didn't take free money from your employer? Are you nuts?

It's not free money. They require you to deposit a percentage of your income (from your weekly check) to get the match.
onepercenter is another one of these douche bags that contributes nothing to the Board. He spews his drive by bullshit. He stands for nothing.

Why shouldn't McDonalds pay a living wage, after all, they are making BIG bucks.

An employees pay is not based on what a company is worth, it's based on what the worker is worth.

An employees pay is not based on what a company is worth, it's based on what the worker is worth.

How much do you pay an employee that makes you all of your money?
That would depend on a number of factors.
1. the skill level. This is determined by the number of people who can perform the job with the correct skills vs the total number of workers in a given market...The more people at that skill level in that local labor market, the lower the wage range.
2. Total number of available workers capable of doing the work. The more of those available, the lower the pay rate.
3. Value of the particular function to the company.....For example. A skilled technician that through their job performance contributes to the bottom line( profit) will earn more and in my world, these people should be rewarded with bonuses for exemplary performance. I am a staunch supporter of meritocracy.
4. The amount of education or tech school training it takes to do the work. A more highly educated or technically trained person will earn more if that training and or education is put to good use to do the work.
Labor is a commodity. With many factors to determine wage or salary rates.
Pretty simple stuff.

No employee makes all the money. They are a very small part of what makes all the money. They contribute and they are paid for that contribution. But you lack any understanding of how a business plan works... strange for someone who boasts of being so wealthy from business.

Lots of things go into what generates a profit for a given business. It's too complicated to outline them all here and they vary from business to business. You have raw materials suppliers, vendors, accountants, advertising and marketing, equipment and technology, maintenance, location, logistics, taxation, regulatory costs, legal costs, certifications and licenses, payroll expenses, fuel costs and transpiration, shipping, insurance, state, local and federal compliance, competition... the list goes on and on. ALL of this factors in to bottom line profits. So it's simply NOT just the worker who makes all the profit for a corporation.

Many of the things listed above will vary and fluctuate and it takes someone pretty sharp to stay on top of all of it and keep the company making a profit... that's why CEOs command such a high salary.

When you're a brain-dead nitwit who doesn't comprehend how a business works.... it's EASY to sit there munching your Cheetos and imagining a money-grubbing CEO making a fortune off the backs of his slave laborers. But you don't have any idea of what you're talking about.

No employee makes all the money. They are a very small part of what makes all the money. They contribute and they are paid for that contribution. But you lack any understanding of how a business plan works... strange for someone who boasts of being so wealthy from business.

Lots of things go into what generates a profit for a given business. It's too complicated to outline them all here and they vary from business to business. You have raw materials suppliers, vendors, accountants, advertising and marketing, equipment and technology, maintenance, location, logistics, taxation, regulatory costs, legal costs, certifications and licenses, payroll expenses, fuel costs and transpiration, shipping, insurance, state, local and federal compliance, competition... the list goes on and on. ALL of this factors in to bottom line profits. So it's simply NOT just the worker who makes all the profit for a corporation.

Many of the things listed above will vary and fluctuate and it takes someone pretty sharp to stay on top of all of it and keep the company making a profit... that's why CEOs command such a high salary.

When you're a brain-dead nitwit who doesn't comprehend how a business works.... it's EASY to sit there munching your Cheetos and imagining a money-grubbing CEO making a fortune off the backs of his slave laborers. But you don't have any idea of what you're talking about.

If McDonalds opened and their were no employees to take the order, collect the payment, make the 'food', serve the 'food', and clean-up after you, what kind of revenue would the restaurant make?
None. But that is not realistic.
For every greedy little malcontent that sits on their ass holding a sign screaming they want double what their work is worth, there are 50 people who want to work and WILL do the work and do the job at the appropriate wage rate. Meanwhile the little whiny fuck who is holding out for an absurd amount of pay, is doing nothing. Which for the most part these demanding little slackers want to be doing in the first place. They and their Paid for and Bused in by SEIU supporters.

If McDonalds opened and their were no employees to take the order, collect the payment, make the 'food', serve the 'food', and clean-up after you, what kind of revenue would the restaurant make?
Quite a lot when you place your order at a push button kiosk, swipe your card to pay, have a machine grind the beef, cook your burger, assemble it, bag it and put it in the window for you to take and a roomba comes out after hours to sweep and mop the floor. IOW, there's little actual need for human interaction at tomorrow's McDonalds, and within 20 years you likely won't see a whole lot of employees working there. The biggest job will be for the guy who keeps the machines running and calls tech support. Of course, most machines can call tech support themselves, so not much need for that either.

Quite a lot when you place your order at a push button kiosk, swipe your card to pay, have a machine grind the beef, cook your burger, assemble it, bag it and put it in the window for you to take and a roomba comes out after hours to sweep and mop the floor. IOW, there's little actual need for human interaction at tomorrow's McDonalds, and within 20 years you likely won't see a whole lot of employees working there. The biggest job will be for the guy who keeps the machines running and calls tech support. Of course, most machines can call tech support themselves, so not much need for that either.

And when one machine breaks, you close.
Nonsense. That's why you have a few people on staff to do minor repairs, or failing that, replace the unit. Think about it. There are thousands of robots on the average auto assembly line. Does the entire plant shut down when one fails? Of course not. On top of that, machines are more reliable than humans and can run continuously for a long time. The point remains, moreover, that the minimum wage jobs taking orders and payment, flipping burgers and tossing potatoes in the fryer will disappear as soon as automation becomes cheaper. There will always be restaurants that offer the premium experience of human interaction, but those humans won't be teenagers with an attitude working for minimum wage and you will pay a premium price for the experience.

Last edited:

And when one machine breaks, you close.

You could also just scale back operations and take on 'business partners' who could help you run the place, while not being 'technically' employees. There's always ways around dumb regulation.
Companies that rely on automation do not shut down when one machine fails. They implement a recovery plan and are quickly back up and running. It's really a nonsense argument.

You could also just scale back operations and take on 'business partners' who could help you run the place, while not being 'technically' employees. There's always ways around dumb regulation.
Companies that rely on automation do not shut down when one machine fails. They implement a recovery plan and are quickly back up and running. It's really a nonsense argument.

What I was driving at is the artificial distinction between business owners and employees.

What I was driving at is the artificial distinction between business owners and employees.
True.

As little as you have to pay him.

Then we need stronger laws.

Our laws are just fine. Nobody is forced to take any job they don't want to.
I am. I have a family to support and nobody will hire me. I Uber because I have to not because I want to.

Then you must be a worthless idiot.

I've not had many "jobs" in my life. I think the last time I worked for a paycheck for an employer was when I was going to college. I worked for a rental store as an account rep. I was in my 20s... within about 6 months, they promoted me and gave me a nice raise. Within a year, I was a store manager. By the time I finished college, they were offering me a regional manager job. I turned it down because I didn't want to work for someone else. They were shocked that I turned down their offer and actually tried to offer me more just to keep me... made me feel good and I had to think about it... they offered a lot of money.

The point is, I demonstrated a value to them. Whenever you can do that, good things happen. I just do not understand people who are miserable in their jobs... why? Wouldn't you feel better doing something you like? I mean, why waste away your life doing something you're miserable doing? I don't get it.

Forum List

Back