🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Why couldn't we have just given everyone civil unions?

Pedro de San Patricio

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2015
California
I'm not saying I'm against the gay marriage ruling in any way. I'm totally okay with any freely consenting adult choosing to spend their life with any other freely consenting adult. I'm just saying that the way it was done guarantees a harsh backlash and was basically a choice to do it the hard way. Why couldn't we have just removed any legal weight from marriage, making it purely a religious matter, and made civil unions the legally binding and secular equivalent for everyone? Everyone would be getting at least what they claim to want. Gay people could create legally binding agreements of that sort with each other and obtain the rights straight couples have (eg shared insurance and visitation rights at hospitals and such). Liberals would have still won their victory over Republicans. Republicans wouldn't have to call it marriage or be forced to give their acceptance of something they clearly don't want to accept. The calls to force churches to perform services which contradict their beliefs could end.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back