Why do Blacks vote Democrat?

No...

those are just places that have been under Democratic control for decades, and none of them show any chance of improving conditions for minorities.

You list the poorest states?

fine.

but that affects blacks and whites both.

the cities I listed?

The only chance minorities have is to move.
You sound like a defeatist. Of course there is always a way to improve conditions. Blacks and whites live in Detroit, Chicago, and Baltimore.

"Blacks and whites live in Detroit, Chicago, and Baltimore."

Who's having the problems in those cities?

Blacks, or whites?
Both but what difference does that make for the poor whites in the states run by republicans?

Keep deflecting back to poor states, where EVERYONE is having problems, away from cities like Chicago, (multiple murders weekly), Detroit, (people are afraid to live in large areas of town because of gangs), Baltimore, (we just saw a police commissioner fired because he wasn't able do his job because the idiot mayor figuratively handcuffed him).

all 3 run by democrats for well over half a century.

and those 3 are far from being the ONLY shitholes under the democratic thumb.
Red States = Welfare States

A result so decades of failed Republican policies meant to keep people in poverty

Welfare states?

based on?

Another reason is the freebies...

After all, when LBJ signed the legislation giving them welfare, he stated "I'll have those ******* voting Democrat for the next 200 years."

That's a cute myth. I bet you murmur it over and over to get to sleep.

Because
1. They give them free shit
2. They give them a platform to remain a violent, disgusting and stupid people.
3. A platform to attack whites.
Because too many republicans are just like matthew

Come on,we give stupid white democrats just as much shit as stupid black democrats. You're the one's who turn it into a racial issue.

It's not just blacks who vote Democratic, it's all minorities from all social strata

Republicans have been insulting them for 40 years, why would they want to belong to that party?

Why would they want to belong to a party that makes promises that they have no intention of keeping? Again...the first two years of Obama's term the Democrats had total power with the Presidency, and near super-majorities in both houses of Congress. Did they grant legal status to same sex marriage? Nope. Did they grant amnesty to illegal immigrants? Nope....didn't even bring it up. Did they do one God damned thing to fulfill all those promises they made to all those people when they had total power to do it? No....what did they do? Raised our taxes by sticking us with an unpopular health care plan that everyone hates...even Democrats.

Why didn't they? Why didn't they grant that amnesty for illegal immigrants rightwinger? Why didn't they legitimize same sex marriage or pass laws protecting the rights of transgenders in the workplace rightwinger? I will guarantee you.....I will absolutely guarantee you that there was some freshman congressman that said "HEY! We have total power! The Republicans can't do a single thing to stop us! Let's get this done!" and some senior Democrat said "son...if we do that, they have no reason to vote for us anymore." Yeah that's a hell of a party to belong to. So I will tell you why they didn't do it....it is in their best interests to make the promise and it's not in their best interests to keep it.

You sound like a defeatist. Of course there is always a way to improve conditions. Blacks and whites live in Detroit, Chicago, and Baltimore.

Blacks, or whites?
Both but what difference does that make for the poor whites in the states run by republicans?

Keep deflecting back to poor states, where EVERYONE is having problems, away from cities like Chicago, (multiple murders weekly), Detroit, (people are afraid to live in large areas of town because of gangs), Baltimore, (we just saw a police commissioner fired because he wasn't able do his job because the idiot mayor figuratively handcuffed him).

A result so decades of failed Republican policies meant to keep people in poverty

Welfare states?

based on?
Facts -

Blacks, or whites?

Welfare states?

based on?
Facts -

Your link seems to have been disabled

Asclepias

I'm serious, and it's actually gotten to where half the country is on some form of government assistance under Obama. Does THAT sound like success????
I have the suspicion you dont understand the events and dynamics that make up the reasons why more people are on GA. You cant be that simple minded to think its just because of democrats are you?

None of them are in the poorest states run by republicans.

No...

those are just places that have been under Democratic control for decades, and none of them show any chance of improving conditions for minorities.

fine.

the cities I listed?

Blacks, or whites?

I wasnt deflecting I was talking about the poor republican run states and you deflected to Detroit and Chicago. Dont get mad because I pointed that out.

Asclepias

I'm serious, and it's actually gotten to where half the country is on some form of government assistance under Obama. Does THAT sound like success????
I have the suspicion you dont understand the events and dynamics that make up the reasons why more people are on GA. You cant be that simple minded to think its just because of democrats are you?
The number has steadily gone up during Obama's presidency, and the Democrats have controlled Congress for most of that time. As a matter of fact, the Republicans just got the Senate back. So yes, that's because of the Democrats.

And how do you explain the fact that the cities that are going bankrupt are Democrat-controlled? Or the dismal poverty, failing schools, and lack of jobs in those cities (not to mention the crime)?

Yes, the Democrat's policies have failed.

No...

fine.

the cities I listed?

Blacks, or whites?

I wasnt deflecting I was talking about the poor republican run states and you deflected to Detroit and Chicago. Dont get mad because I pointed that out.

and the discussion prior to that was minority neighborhoods voting against their best interests.

You brought up red states shorty after.

See # 60 and # 63.

and with that,

goodbye

No...

fine.

the cities I listed?

Blacks, or whites?

Well brother..what's the solution? I notice rightwinger has not responded (although he may be offline I guess) to my points that the Democrats have made a lot of promises but when they had total power to solve them, they didn't. I assume by your posts that you are a person of color. Doesn't that piss you off? They had total control and did nothing. I am seriously curious....is that lost on those communities that the Democrats made promises to?

I am sincerely interested to know what the black community thinks...what is your explanation for why they had the golden opportunity and yet didn't do a damned thing to fulfill their promises.

Asclepias

The number has steadily gone up during Obama's presidency, and the Democrats have controlled Congress for most of that time. As a matter of fact, the Republicans just got the Senate back. So yes, that's because of the Democrats.

And how do you explain the fact that the cities that are going bankrupt are Democrat-controlled? Or the dismal poverty, failing schools, and lack of jobs in those cities (not to mention the crime)?

Yes, the Democrat's policies have failed.
It must be tough not understanding cause and effect/timing and what causes things to occur. Go take an economics class and lets try this discussion at a later date.

Yep-I am sure that African Americans love being told by Conservatives that the reason they vote Democrat is because all African Americans are too stupid not to.
If they were born here, they're just Americans.

We are all Americans.

And those Americans who happen to have a darker shade of skin- whom the OP refers to as "Why do Blacks vote Democrat"- I am sure- appreciate being told by Conservatives that the reason 'blacks' vote Democrat is because Conservatives think Blacks are too stupid to know that they shouldn't.

That's not what he said. It's actually a great question. The black community in general is strong on religion and family values. These are Republican values and are generally not championed by Democrats.

No, they're not "Republican" values. They're not even political values; they're social ones. The only reason they're mythtified to be Republican values is that Moral Majority shit that Jerry Falwell and his ilk dumped on the system, bringing religion and so-called "social conservatism" into a realm where it has no business -- politics. And because it was conservative-based the MM synched with the RP, leaving by process of assumed elimination this latter-day myth that "Democrats", or "Liberals", or "the left", whatever the bogeyman of the moment is, are made up of godless immoral pedophiliac perverted fornicating baby eaters. It's another simplistic demonization ploy like the one of the Red Scare daze that deliberately conflated "Liberal" with "communist" (after already conflating "communist" with "Satan"). It's the kind of deliberate haze that clouds intelligent discourse. Sorry.

Republicans believe that people of color do not need the white man's help to have success. We have enough faith in the black community that they can achieve according to their own merits. We actually think it is insulting to the black community to suggest that they need the white man's help to achieve. Democrats clearly don't feel that way judging by their policies and their approach.

My honest belief is that Democratic politicians don't WANT to get blacks or any other minority out of poverty or in a better place in life. Democratic voters do but the politicians don't. Generally when a group starts to have success and they gain money they want to protect it. When you are a tax payer you tend to look fondly on Republican ideals. When you are a tax receiver you look at the Democrats favorably. So getting people out of poverty is the last thing the Democratic politicians want to do because it potentially diminishes their voting block.

That's a popular conspiracy theory -- it's certainly been floated here often enough --- but not at all realistic IMHO. It imagines some colossal grand plan operated presumably by a man behind a curtain and it's more than a little paranoid.

The fact is the black vote started demonstrably going Democratic in FDR's first election (1932), and saw significant spikes in 1948 and 1964... 1932 of course was a huge vote for FDR as a quest for relief against the ravages of the Depression, appealing to the poor, the unemployed, the lower classes --- those most affected by the economic collapse. Add to this that the DP had taken on the Populist movement with the turn of the century while the RP had been shifting to the interests of corporations and the rich, and that the "Progressive" era policies both parties flirted with were largely embraced in Roosevelt's New Deal, and these are the seeds of the DP attracting minorities and the poor in general, including blacks, Jews, Catholics and immigrants.

While these may have been attractions to the DP for these constituencies, probably two factors acted as repulsion away from the RP: first, its association with the rich and hyper-rich around the turn of the century, and later, the association with the "Moral Majority". Both of these are polarizing dynamics that establish a meritocratic hierarchy. People don't go where they don't feel welcome.

Black_Vote_Pres.jpg

It wasn't until 1948 though that most blacks self-identifed as "Democrats":

Black_Party_ID(7).jpg

-- 1948 would be when Harry Truman had integrated the military and the DP convention made so much noise about "civil rights" including a stirring speech by Minneapolis Mayor Hubert Humphrey, that an entire contingent from the South walked out, started their own short-lived party, ran a candidate and very nearly cost Truman the election.

From the source of these charts:
Even after that, Republican nominees continued to get a large slice of the black vote for several elections. Dwight D. Eisenhower got 39 percent in 1956, and Richard Nixon got 32 percent in his narrow loss to John F. Kennedy in 1960.

But then President Lyndon B. Johnson pushed through the landmark Civil Rights Act of 1964 (outlawing segregation in public places) and his eventual Republican opponent, Sen. Barry Goldwater, opposed it. Johnson got 94 percent of the black vote that year, still a record for any presidential election.
I think a lot of posters here are looking at far too little historical perspective --- this didn't come about from O'bama or in the last ten or twenty years; it's been the pattern as long as almost all of us have been alive. And its roots are really the same as any other constituency's preference-- they gravitate to where they see their interests best represented.

I will guarantee you.....I will absolutely guarantee you that there was some freshman congressman that said "HEY! We have total power! The Republicans can't do a single thing to stop us! Let's get this done!" and some senior Democrat said "son...if we do that, they have no reason to vote for us anymore." Yeah that's a hell of a party to belong to. So I will tell you why they didn't do it....it is in their best interests to make the promise and it's not in their best interests to keep it.

Again I think this is conspiracy-theory paranoia that gets generated and then amplified in internet echo chambers. It's always tempting to look at a chain of events and imagine how some grand plan might have brought it about intentionally. The truth is Doctor Evil doesn't really exist, the best-laid plans of mice and men do go astray, and the events that happen through our lives are much more random than such grandiose schemes could ever be capable of.

Last edited:

Blacks, or whites?

and the discussion prior to that was minority neighborhoods voting against their best interests.

See # 60 and # 63.

and with that,

goodbye
The comment I responded to was you saying repubs voted against their best interests. I agreed citing the poorest states in the union being run by repubs.

Blacks, or whites?

See # 60 and # 63.

and with that,

goodbye
The comment I responded to was you saying repubs voted against their best interests. I agreed citing the poorest states in the union being run by repubs.

and the discussion was cities.

you deflected to states.

have a nice night.

Blacks, or whites?

Well brother..what's the solution? I notice rightwinger has not responded (although he may be offline I guess) to my points that the Democrats have made a lot of promises but when they had total power to solve them, they didn't. I assume by your posts that you are a person of color. Doesn't that piss you off? They had total control and did nothing. I am seriously curious....is that lost on those communities that the Democrats made promises to?

I am sincerely interested to know what the black community thinks...what is your explanation for why they had the golden opportunity and yet didn't do a damned thing to fulfill their promises.
The solution requires a dismantling of the racial caste system here in the US. It also requires a dismantling of the capitalistic system where it is inherent that the masses will be in poverty. So far the closest party to doing this are the dems.

Dems and repubs have made a lot of promises. Reps just happen to have a large majority of openly racist bigots in their party. I dont waste time being pissed off over things that I personally cannot control.

I cant speak to what the entire Black community thinks as we are obviously not monolithic. Some support the Dems. A large portion believe the whole thing is a crock of shit and a very small minority support the repubs.

See # 60 and # 63.

and with that,

goodbye

and the discussion was cities.

you deflected to states.

have a nice night.

You didnt say anything about cities. You said republicans. You already said good bye. Why are you stalling? Go ahead and leave.

Forum List

Back