Why Do Liberals Get Angry When...

If we look into the constitution as originally written, it doesn't give congress the right or power to neither ban nor allow immigration, rather it puts that power in the states themselves. On the other hand the Chinese anit-imigration act or 1887 (*I believe) did so. So do we repeal the above and put the power in the states, or do we say Congress /can/ allow/disallow it and leave it up to a vote? ~ I personally would like to see it put to the states because after all they know their financial and economical situation far better than the fat cats in DC, but we might have to have some kind of "free passage" through anti-immigration states if some land locked states who would welcome them.

I think folks completely misunderstand the big issue that the majority of us have with illegal aliens is that they do not pay taxes, yet they are using the same resources as everyone else. If they were not just coming up here for free shit, it wouldn't be such an issue for most folks. This isn't the 1880's when racism was the main reason for excluding migration (as was the case in the anti-immigration act) It's about the economy and American's, not /against/ any foreigners. That changes the "compassion" situation. No one wants these refugees living in third worlds, but at the same time, part of being an American is receiving the benefits of citizenship, it means that you are contributing to the betterment of your nation, and more so in my mind, what kind of person moves to a new country and doesn't help support said country? These are not people I particularly /want/ in my country, which is why I'm kind of on the anti-immigration side of things. I don't think we should ban all immigration, but we need to ensure that these folks are becoming part of the country, not just ya know freeloading off our generosity.

Good post.

I am all for building a wall across both the northern and southern borders. In this day and age, you can make a bomb in your area and drive it into my area. While it's true you could still do that with border checkpoints, at least we have a chance to interdict the device. So I say build walls. But I hope everyone understands that as long as there has been walls, there have been ways to get around them. It will not end illegal immigration. You say you think folks miss the big issue...I think Trump supporters miss the big issue. It's bewildering that so many are being lead to believe that if you build this wall, that will stop anything. It will stop nothing; only limit the payload. Think of the wall as one of those turnstiles they used to have where you could walk into or out of a store but not take the shopping cart with you.

As for illegals not paying taxes; flat out wrong. Sales taxes are what fund the local economies. Illegals as well as legal immigrants shop at places just like the rest of us and pay their taxes--just like we all do. Federal taxes...that is another matter.

As for the rest of your post...you're right. This is why I say build the wall and simply declare those who are here who haven't been arrested, charged, and convicted of crimes as citizens. Bring them into the structures of taxation, commerce, etc... and let them start earning dollars (and being taxed on those earnings) legally. As for the supposed "line" they are supposed to get at the end of...sorry.

The big city here doesn't have sales tax, actually most of the state doesn't (the other 4 "big" cities have sales taxes, but their really tiny, maybe 100k people in the valley, 50k maybe in Fairbanks, figure 30k in the capital, maybe 20k in Seward) We make almost all our state money off taxing oil companies.

Still don't you think the fed taxes matter too? I mean after all it contributes to paying for every state and cities funds to build roads, provide police/firemen, maintain gov services, and so forth.

Sure the Federal Taxes matter. Which is why I say, once you build the walls, you declare all within the nation as citizens and indoctrinate them into the tax culture.

But in the mean time, the mantra of the GOP has been this:

maxresdefault.jpg

Are you going to tell me that the guy picking watermelon or the lady who is cleaning offices is in the 53%?

Edit - sorry sent too soon. The 14th amendment says that everyone born in the US is automatically a citizen.

No, that is NOT what it says.

Amendment XIV
Section 1.

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside

Actually, this is precisely what it says.

heh ^that

Edit - sorry sent too soon. The 14th amendment says that everyone born in the US is automatically a citizen.

Okay then tell me how /you/ interpret the following:

"Section 1.
All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

That is actually another reason I have issues with illegal aliens and open-border policies.

I mean I think immigration is a good thing for the US as a whole, /but/ it's only good if those folks become citizens, it's only good if they commit to the nation (though I do make some exceptions for dual citizen's for work/sports/etc reasons)

Amendment XIV
Section 1.

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside

Thanks!

(Illegal aliens are not "subject to the jurisdiction thereof").

Except that /all/ people in America are subject to the jurisdiction of the US... You can't pick and choose which parts apply where...

If one goes off your interpretation, then a foreigner in the country is free game for all manner of crimes...

heh ^that

Okay then tell me how /you/ interpret the following:

"Section 1.
All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

Why are you bolding certain parts and disregarding others as if they aren't there?

If the sentence read as you highlighted it, perhaps it means what you claim... but it doesn't read that way and that's why it doesn't mean what you claim. Even someone simple-minded should understand this.

Amendment XIV
Section 1.

Thanks!

(Illegal aliens are not "subject to the jurisdiction thereof").

If you're born here, you're not an Illegal alien.

You're welcome.

Check please!

This is awesome beyond words. I knew nutters wouldn't be talking about the economy during this cycle.....given the fact that we are in a period of recovery. But.....who knew that the leading GOP presidential candidates would be talking about anchor babies and birthright citizenship in a world where losing the Hispanic vote is untenable.

If any of your nutter fears were true.......I'd be right there with you.....but you've all been duped and your fears exploited.

If we look into the constitution as originally written, it doesn't give congress the right or power to neither ban nor allow immigration, rather it puts that power in the states themselves. On the other hand the Chinese anit-imigration act or 1887 (*I believe) did so. So do we repeal the above and put the power in the states, or do we say Congress /can/ allow/disallow it and leave it up to a vote? ~ I personally would like to see it put to the states because after all they know their financial and economical situation far better than the fat cats in DC, but we might have to have some kind of "free passage" through anti-immigration states if some land locked states who would welcome them.

I think folks completely misunderstand the big issue that the majority of us have with illegal aliens is that they do not pay taxes, yet they are using the same resources as everyone else. If they were not just coming up here for free shit, it wouldn't be such an issue for most folks. This isn't the 1880's when racism was the main reason for excluding migration (as was the case in the anti-immigration act) It's about the economy and American's, not /against/ any foreigners. That changes the "compassion" situation. No one wants these refugees living in third worlds, but at the same time, part of being an American is receiving the benefits of citizenship, it means that you are contributing to the betterment of your nation, and more so in my mind, what kind of person moves to a new country and doesn't help support said country? These are not people I particularly /want/ in my country, which is why I'm kind of on the anti-immigration side of things. I don't think we should ban all immigration, but we need to ensure that these folks are becoming part of the country, not just ya know freeloading off our generosity.

Good post.

I am all for building a wall across both the northern and southern borders. In this day and age, you can make a bomb in your area and drive it into my area. While it's true you could still do that with border checkpoints, at least we have a chance to interdict the device. So I say build walls. But I hope everyone understands that as long as there has been walls, there have been ways to get around them. It will not end illegal immigration. You say you think folks miss the big issue...I think Trump supporters miss the big issue. It's bewildering that so many are being lead to believe that if you build this wall, that will stop anything. It will stop nothing; only limit the payload. Think of the wall as one of those turnstiles they used to have where you could walk into or out of a store but not take the shopping cart with you.

As for illegals not paying taxes; flat out wrong. Sales taxes are what fund the local economies. Illegals as well as legal immigrants shop at places just like the rest of us and pay their taxes--just like we all do. Federal taxes...that is another matter.

As for the rest of your post...you're right. This is why I say build the wall and simply declare those who are here who haven't been arrested, charged, and convicted of crimes as citizens. Bring them into the structures of taxation, commerce, etc... and let them start earning dollars (and being taxed on those earnings) legally. As for the supposed "line" they are supposed to get at the end of...sorry.

No one is saying that building a wall will be the end of the problem.

It is a needed step towards solving the problem.

how funny....in your anger you want to change a fundamental concept of america....and yet you swear you want to go back to the 'good old days'...and of course you had no problems with separating minors from their parents and putting them in detention camps o right for their own safety....eye roll...perhaps the word you need to look up is compassion

o and stop trying to deport american citizens...do you understand what an american citizen is or do i need to review that for yall

Yes, let's review... An illegal alien who crossed our border illegally and came into our country illegally, is not a citizen of the United States. Because we are compassionate and cannot separate parents from their minor children, we have to keep children with parents.

There is nothing in the Constitution which grants citizenship by right of birth on US soil. The 14th Amendment grants citizenship to those who are born on US soil or naturalized, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof. This is VERY important.

Someone who is illegally in our country from another country, is not "subject to our jurisdiction" they are subject to the jurisdiction of whatever country they are from. We make exceptions for certain people who come here legally, they are not here illegally and may or may not be subject to our jurisdiction while here. Their children born here may or may not be considered citizens, it's a matter of statutory law set forth by Congress.
If they aren't subject to our jurisdiction they aren't illegal and can't be deported and can commit any crime with impunity.

You're misinterpreting terms. You are presuming "jurisdiction" to mean like a police jurisdiction... that's not what it means. It's meaning in this context is political allegiance owed. In order for a foreigner to change allegiance they have to undergo a naturalization process... illegals haven't.

And when we talk about "allegiance" it's not like "the pledge of allegiance" where they can recite some magical phrase and become compliant. The allegiance can not be partial, questionable, ambiguous or incomplete. In other words the illegal alien must become legal and in compliance with the law.
No, it doesn't mean that at all. Why are you making things up?

This is awesome beyond words. I knew nutters wouldn't be talking about the economy during this cycle.....given the fact that we are in a period of recovery. But.....who knew that the leading GOP presidential candidates would be talking about anchor babies and birthright citizenship in a world where losing the Hispanic vote is untenable.

If any of your nutter fears were true.......I'd be right there with you.....but you've all been duped and your fears exploited.

Says the clown.

Good post.

It has been estimated that 50% of illegals pay income and payroll tax.

You can't pick and choose which parts apply where...

Really? That's what you just tried to pull! You wanted to disregard "and subject to the jurisdiction thereof" and deflect it with some kind of nonsensical bullshit about how this 'completely meaningless' phrase happened to be plopped in the middle of your sentence... no explanation for that whatsoever. :dunno:

Care to give that one another go? Because I'm not buying that everyone is already "subject to jurisdiction thereof" just because we're here... that makes no sense, why include it? If it already applies to everyone regardless, then it's a meaningless phrase... plopped down right there in the middle of something that could have been so elegant and perfect. So what's up with that?

No offense but your interpretation very much seems to be the narrow-minded focus of political agenda bias.

Constitutional historian's debate:

The Preamble to the Constitution states that the document’s purpose is to “form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity.” Some opponents of immigration
claim that the inclusion of the phrase “ourselves and our posterity” suggests that the Constitution was only meant to benefit present US citizens and their descendants, thereby justifying the US government in ignoring the rights and welfare of potential migrants in making decisions on immigration policy. However, the term “posterity,” as used in the Preamble, is probably metaphorical rather than literal – denoting future residents of the United States in general rather than merely just those who were citizens in 1787 and their descendants. In the 18th century, as today, the word “posterity” was often used to denote “future generations” in general rather than merely the biological descendants of a particular group of people. In 1787, and for almost a century thereafter, the US had a virtual open borders policy, and the Framers of the Constitution had no intention of changing that. They knew that millions of immigrants would be among the “posterity” referred to in the Preamble.

Even if we assume that the “posterity” referred to in the Preamble really does refer only to those who were citizens in 1787 and their descendants, it does not follow that that the Constitution justifies ignoring the effects of immigration restrictions on would-be immigrants. As the Founding Fathers well knew, there are moral limits on what governments are allowed to do in pursuit of the interests of their citizens. For example, the United States has no right to invade Mexico and enslave its people – even if doing so would enhance “the general welfare” of Americans. Similarly, there are moral constraints on the extent to which the US government is justified in
forcibly consigning would-be immigrants to lives of poverty and oppression in Third World countries. Neither the Preamble nor any other part of the Constitution states that the US government is entitled to ignore moral constraints on the means it uses to achieve the goals of the Constitution.

A closely related restrictionist argument is the claim that aliens are not entitled to the various constitutional rights enumerated in the Constitution. In reality,
most of the rights guaranteed by the Constitution are extended to all persons who enter areas governed by the United States, whether citizens or not. As James Madison put it at the Virginia ratifying convention for the Constitution, “t does not follow, because aliens are not parties to the Constitution, as citizens are parties to it, that whilst they actually conform to it, they have no right to its protection.” In the few cases where the Constitution really does protect only citizens, the term “citizens” is explicitly used, as in the Privileges and Immunities Clause of Article IV, Section 2. Such explicit references to citizens would be unnecessary if there was an implicit understanding that all constitutional rights are limited to citizens alone.

-----

As a note, again, I'm not against immigration as I think it's good for the country, but am I not exactly for a wall or w/e either. I'm for the individual states making the immigration decision for themselves; if they feel it would harm their economy then they can disallow, if they think it would help them then allow. That said, no matter where, I do take issue to illegal aliens because they're not paying in, still, if a state wants to allow illegals, that's their bag I guess.

Good post.

No one is saying that building a wall will be the end of the problem.

It is a needed step towards solving the problem.

No one? I'd check again or I would expect the candidate to express that--if we are going to hold all candidates to the same standard.

Says the clown.

What's the matter, dummy? Speechless?

You can't pick and choose which parts apply where...

Really? That's what you just tried to pull! You wanted to disregard "and subject to the jurisdiction thereof" and deflect it with some kind of nonsensical bullshit about how this 'completely meaningless' phrase happened to be plopped in the middle of your sentence... no explanation for that whatsoever. :dunno:

Care to give that one another go? Because I'm not buying that everyone is already "subject to jurisdiction thereof" just because we're here... that makes no sense, why include it? If it already applies to everyone regardless, then it's a meaningless phrase... plopped down right there in the middle of something that could have been so elegant and perfect. So what's up with that?
Diplomats aren't subject to U.S. Jurisdiction. Th

Good post.

It has been estimated that 50% of illegals pay income and payroll tax.

It's been proven that 100% of all of us pay sales taxes on purchases in municipalities that have sales taxes and the items purchased are taxable. Either way the notion that illegals do not pay taxes is simply not true.

Forum List

Back