Why do people hate Liberals?

The one thing about this board that most baffles me is the incredible depth of hatred and contempt for liberals.

The amount of comments from people suggesting all liberals are stupid, anti-patriotic, dumb...you name it. One even suggested liberals don't know what paragraphs are.

I don't get it. And I don't see anything the like the contempt expressed by liberals towards conservatives.

Firstly, the term "liberal" could be used to describe about half of the planet. Like "leftist", it's a fairly cliched catch-all adjective that have little real meaning. It's just too general to be much use.

Secondly, I've met extremely intelligent people from right across the political spectrum - and as many idiots. I've talked to brilliant facists, idiotic conservatives, intelligent communists and brain-dead centrists. I don't see a pattern there at all.

And lastly, why hate liberals when many of the most successful and celebrated administrations have been liberal ones? Were the governments if Clinton, Wilson, FDR, JFK and Truman really so much worse than conservative governments of similar eras?

The constant attacks on liberals seems to me (as an outsider) just a sign of incredible arrogance and conceit - and I would consider attacks on conservatives the same way.

If there is a REAL reason, with facts, for hating liberals - let's hear about it.

"Hate" is a strong word.

Just as there are some varying, negative qualities among conservatives, there are those among liberals.

Lastly, some liberals are known to make very biased assertions, much like their counterparts.

Immie, I not only believe it; it gets proven and reinforced every single day. Even right on this board. I NEVER hear conservatives stand up for the poor or working man and woman. Conservatives always defend the CEO, the union buster, the Republican Governor who rips away collective bargaining from teachers, forces poor people to piss in a cup, forces a woman that is raped to pay for her rape test kit, condemn and disparage anyone who is not rich, calling them lazy or scumbags.

Romney's 47% comments were SUPPORTED by conservatives. It is who and what conservatives are.

How sad that you cannot see the hypocrisy of you own words!

You must never read anything I write unless I address you. I have spoken up for the poor many, many, many times.

I stand up for the working man all the time. It is you liberals and your support for union bosses that are destroying the working man. Unions have had there place in our history and they did a lot and I do mean a LOT of good for the middle class, but what you liberals support today is pure unadulterated corruption not only in union halls, but on Capital Hill as well. You want to defend the working class? Then work against the corruption that has seeped into every aspect of your own people.

I do not defend the CEO. They too are corrupt, but I defend the right of a corporation to, within safe reasons, sell the products of their choice, hire and fire the employees they want, pay fair market wages etc. Your side want McDonald's to pay their employees living wages to turn hamburger patties. That is beyond crazy! As much as I would like the father of five to succeed in life, he should not be working at McDonald's trying to support a family! Nor should the single mother. If she cannot work or find a job a business that pays well, then doggone it, I have no problem assisting her. But, enabling her with Welfare and doing nothing to give her the skills she needs to improve her life (that is the liberal solution) does nothing at all to help her become anything more than a couch potato.

Let's see a link to a conservative trying to force the poor to "piss in a cup". That is nothing more than your hatred of people that you cannot control speaking.

Immie

Immie, I give you and YOU alone credit for being a moderate conservative for the most part. But even you are parroting some right wing dogma and propaganda in your reply. The problem in this country is the middle class is being crushed. I've been around since Truman was in the White House. The liberal era that started with the New Deal and ended with the Great Society created the most robust middle class in the world. I never knew anyone growing up who needed food stamps or government relief. People made a living wage in this country.

That liberal era ended with the splintering of the Democratic Party due to assassinations and the Vietnam War. It ushered in a conservative era that gained some momentum with Nixon, but really metastasized under Reagan. Reagan just about wiped out the New Deal and it has almost eviscerated the middle class. The wealth disparity in America is now worse than the Gilded Age when the Robber Barons paid workers slave wages. And what that conservative era has created is POVERTY for all but a very few Americans. And the main vehicle to creating that aristocracy was union busting. It has become the priority of the Republican party and it no coincidence that as unions were being eviscerated, so was the middle class. There will NEVER be a time where unions are no longer needed. Greed and power will never disappear or be kept in check without a buffer.

And they have brainwashed even you into believing unions and liberals are EVIL. You used words like "pure unadulterated corruption". You were indignant when I said "Conservatism is the domination of society by an aristocracy." But that REALLY happened. And how is your "pure unadulterated corruption" and "corruption that has seeped into every aspect of your own people." NOT incendiary Immie?

I offered the Bill Moyers interview with Reverend Wright a few years ago to every conservative on this board. You are the ONLY one who would even listen to it.

Please spend 12 minutes listening to Greg Kaufmann, poverty correspondent for “The Nation” magazine. And BTW, he does not give Democrats a pass either.

Greg Kaufmann on the Truth About American Poverty | Moyers & Company | BillMoyers.com

Greg_Kaufmann_on_the_Truth_About_America_104476176_thumbnail.jpg

Small excerpt:

BILL MOYERS: There are almost 48 million people using food stamps a day, and over recent years that’s a 70 percent increase. What does your own reporting tell you about why?

GREG KAUFMANN: Well, the biggest reason, I think, is the proliferation of low-wage work. People are working and they're not getting paid enough to feed their families, pay their utilities and pay for their housing, pay for the healthcare. We had 28 percent of workers in 2011 made wages that were less than the poverty line. Poverty wages.

Fifty percent of the jobs in this country make less than $34,000 a year. Twenty-five percent make less than the poverty line for a family of four, which is $23,000 a year. So, if you're not paying people enough to pay for the basics, they're going to need help getting food.

And food stamps expanded because we went through the greatest the worst recession since the Great Depression. And it did what it's supposed to do. And now, you know, mostly Republicans are saying, "Why are there so many people on food stamps?" You know, they're claiming the recession's over, but we know that most people on food stamps are, if they're getting work, it's low-wage work that doesn't pay enough to pay for food.

4343827116_805f053e29_o.jpg

“Ronald Reagan changed the trajectory of America in a way that Richard Nixon did not and in a way that Bill Clinton did not.” Reagan was an ideological inflection point, ending a 50-year liberal ascendancy and beginning a 30-year conservative ascendancy.
Charles Krauthammer

I am only checking in while at lunch.

I can't listen at the moment. If I remember later, I will come back to this.

If you would simply step back and read your own posts critically, you would see that you are no different than the aforementioned neo-cons. You are as controlling and intolerant as they are.

The "liberal era" has never ended. We are living the results of the catastrophe they flung on us today. The so called aristocracy you are condemning are the liberal politicians and those who support them of today. Until and unless we put a little bit of conservative (fiscal as well as social) sanity into our government, this country is doomed.

Immie

Immie, I not only believe it; it gets proven and reinforced every single day. Even right on this board. I NEVER hear conservatives stand up for the poor or working man and woman. Conservatives always defend the CEO, the union buster, the Republican Governor who rips away collective bargaining from teachers, forces poor people to piss in a cup, forces a woman that is raped to pay for her rape test kit, condemn and disparage anyone who is not rich, calling them lazy or scumbags.

Romney's 47% comments were SUPPORTED by conservatives. It is who and what conservatives are.

No, they were supported by neocons and idiot conservatives who think that getting a neocon elected is more important than being honest and truthful.

And AMERICAN conservatives are not pro-Aristocracy as it is not part of our heritage, as it is in Europe. The Neocons like aristocrats because they think of themselves this way.

Like I said before, I've been around since Truman was in the White House. Any changes in conservatism over the last 65 years have been for the worse, not the better...

"Republicans approve of the American farmer, but they are willing to help him go broke. They stand four-square for the American home--but not for housing. They are strong for labor--but they are stronger for restricting labor's rights. They favor minimum wage--the smaller the minimum wage the better. They endorse educational opportunity for all--but they won't spend money for teachers or for schools. They approve of social security benefits-so much so that they took them away from almost a million people. They think modern medical care and hospitals are fine--for people who can afford them. They believe in international trade--so much so that they crippled our reciprocal trade program, and killed our International Wheat Agreement. They favor the admission of displaced persons--but only within shameful racial and religious limitations.They consider electrical power a great blessing--but only when the private power companies get their rake-off. They say TVA is wonderful--but we ought never to try it again. They condemn "cruelly high prices"--but fight to the death every effort to bring them down. They think American standard of living is a fine thing--so long as it doesn't spread to all the people. And they admire of Government of the United States so much that they would like to buy it."
President Harry S. Truman - October 13, 1948, St. Paul, Minnesota

That is something I can definitely agree with. The changes in conservatism have most definitely been for the worse because they took a very sharp left turn!

Immie

No, they were supported by neocons and idiot conservatives who think that getting a neocon elected is more important than being honest and truthful.

And AMERICAN conservatives are not pro-Aristocracy as it is not part of our heritage, as it is in Europe. The Neocons like aristocrats because they think of themselves this way.

Like I said before, I've been around since Truman was in the White House. Any changes in conservatism over the last 65 years have been for the worse, not the better...

"Republicans approve of the American farmer, but they are willing to help him go broke. They stand four-square for the American home--but not for housing. They are strong for labor--but they are stronger for restricting labor's rights. They favor minimum wage--the smaller the minimum wage the better. They endorse educational opportunity for all--but they won't spend money for teachers or for schools. They approve of social security benefits-so much so that they took them away from almost a million people. They think modern medical care and hospitals are fine--for people who can afford them. They believe in international trade--so much so that they crippled our reciprocal trade program, and killed our International Wheat Agreement. They favor the admission of displaced persons--but only within shameful racial and religious limitations.They consider electrical power a great blessing--but only when the private power companies get their rake-off. They say TVA is wonderful--but we ought never to try it again. They condemn "cruelly high prices"--but fight to the death every effort to bring them down. They think American standard of living is a fine thing--so long as it doesn't spread to all the people. And they admire of Government of the United States so much that they would like to buy it."

That is something I can definitely agree with. The changes in conservatism have most definitely been for the worse because they took a very sharp left turn!

Immie

Gentle correction. Many in politics who CALL themselves conservatives or who are so branded by the left have taken a sharp left turn. They are CINOs, not conservatives. Those who promote ever more government involvement in everything are not conservatives. Those who compromise their values for political expediency are not conservatives.

Modern American Conservatives, of whom I proudly consider myself one, as are those like Thomas Sowell, Walter Williams, Rand Paul, Paul Ryan, Dinesh D'Souza, David Horowitz, Laura Ingraham, Shelby Steele, and many many others. Modern American Conservatism is still alive and well, but is definitely an endangered species if we do not step forward and defend it.

Modern American Conservatives, of whom I proudly consider myself one, as are those like Thomas Sowell, Walter Williams, Rand Paul, Paul Ryan, Dinesh D'Souza, David Horowitz, Laura Ingraham, Shelby Steele, and many many others. Modern American Conservatism is still alive and well, but is definitely an endangered species if we do not step forward and defend it.

Radical conservatism is a failed ideology as is radical communism. Extremes of any ideology just don't work. In a country of 300 million, it's ridiculous to think that small government will work.

While Americans are busy fighting for conservative ideals, their country is economically parallized by political infighting, allowing other countries to move ahead of the US in education, medical care for their citizens, manufacturing, and quality of life.

Radical conservatism is a failed ideology as is radical communism. Extremes of any ideology just don't work. In a country of 300 million, it's ridiculous to think that small government will work.

While Americans are busy fighting for conservative ideals, their country is economically parallized by political infighting, allowing other countries to move ahead of the US in education, medical care for their citizens, manufacturing, and quality of life.

Radical conservatism, aka classical liberalism as the Founders expressed it, worked just fine for more roughly 170 or so years and created the most free, most generous, most prosperous, and most creative, most innovative nation the world has ever known. We had the world's best education system, the world's best medical system, and the widest variety of choices, options, and opportunities of any people who have ever existed.

But once the effects of moving back toward a big, authoritarian, intrusive, meddling, and freedom destroying government began kicking in noticably in the 1960's and has escalated since then. And our education system, our healthcare swystem, and many other quality of life issues have steadily deteriorated since that time.

Legacies are sometimes several decades being fully realized. But corruption of the Founders' sense of 'radical conservatism' has yet to produce a positive legacy.

Big government does not work. This is exactly why it is not working now, all this bigger government is doing is taking away all of our civil rights.
It has become so big that it is unmanageable.

Immie

Gentle correction. Many in politics who CALL themselves conservatives or who are so branded by the left have taken a sharp left turn. They are CINOs, not conservatives. Those who promote ever more government involvement in everything are not conservatives. Those who compromise their values for political expediency are not conservatives.

I notice none of those you listed are politicians.

Immie

Immie

Come on Immie. No one in their right mind believes the GOP turned left. Certainly not Barry Goldwater.

You really need to study history. Read up on Eisenhower...

"Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the Republican party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them."
Barry Goldwater

"Labor is the United States. The men and women, who with their minds, their hearts and hands, create the wealth that is shared in this country—they are America."
President Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history."

Immie

Immie

Rand Paul. Paul Ryan? :confused::confused::confused:

Immie

Rand Paul. Paul Ryan? :confused::confused::confused:

Whoops you are right.

Immie

Immie

Come on Immie. No one in their right mind believes the GOP turned left. Certainly not Barry Goldwater.

"Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the Republican party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them."
Barry Goldwater

"Labor is the United States. The men and women, who with their minds, their hearts and hands, create the wealth that is shared in this country—they are America."

"Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history."

What is the matter? Why Can't you just admit that the left has totally f'd up the entire world? The GOP is nothing close to being conservative. It is just more big spending liberal politicians who talk a piss poor game of conservatism. Your condemnation of them is actually a condemnation of your own desires.

Immie

Immie

Barry Goldwater

What is the matter? Why Can't you just admit that the left has totally f'd up the entire world? The GOP is nothing close to being conservative. It is just more big spending liberal politicians who talk a piss poor game of conservatism. Your condemnation of them is actually a condemnation of your own desires.

Immie

You are totally delusional Immie.

George W. Bush was the most conservative president we've had since probably Warren G. Harding—and perhaps ever. He governed, wherever possible, fully in step with the basic conservative principles that defined Ronald Reagan's presidency and have shaped the political right for the last two generations: opposition to New Deal-style social programs; a view of civil liberties as obstacles to dispensing justice; the pursuit of low taxes, especially on businesses and the wealthy; a pro-business stance on regulation; a hawkish, militaristic, nationalistic foreign policy; and a commitment to bringing religion, and specifically Christianity, back into public policy. "Mr. Bush has a philosophy. It is conservative," wrote Peggy Noonan in 2002. Ah, but times change. Last June she complained, "What conservatives and Republicans must recognize is that the White House has broken with them."

Barry Goldwater

Immie

George W. Bush was the most conservative president we've had since probably Warren G. Harding—and perhaps ever. He governed, wherever possible, fully in step with the basic conservative principles that defined Ronald Reagan's presidency and have shaped the political right for the last two generations: opposition to New Deal-style social programs; a view of civil liberties as obstacles to dispensing justice; the pursuit of low taxes, especially on businesses and the wealthy; a pro-business stance on regulation; a hawkish, militaristic, nationalistic foreign policy; and a commitment to bringing religion, and specifically Christianity, back into public policy. "Mr. Bush has a philosophy. It is conservative," wrote Peggy Noonan in 2002. Ah, but times change. Last June she complained, "What conservatives and Republicans must recognize is that the White House has broken with them."

Where does the Patriot Act (and a rapid expansion of Executive power) fit into that description?

Where does excessive and irresponsible spending to fund a $3 Trillion war with a country that never attacked you (you can be hawkish, but irrationally hawkish?), during a period of massive revenue decreases fall into Conservative philosophy?

Or No Child Left Behind?

Barry Goldwater

Immie

Bush conservative? LOL. With his spending? Talk about delusional! What on earth did he do that can even remotely be considered conservative?

Maybe Bush is to the right of someone who is overtly pushing socialism, Obama, but that by no means makes him conservative. Bigger government is a liberal desire not conservative. Bush/Cheney worked to expand government not shrink it. Authoritarian control of the masses is the goal of liberalism... I remind you of the patriot act, NSA wiretapping and Obamacare. These three issues are all liberal efforts to control us.

Bush a conservative LOL, next you will be telling us Romney and Kerry are conservative.

Truth is Clinton was much more conservative than Bush.

Immie

Immie

Bush conservative? LOL. With his spending? Talk about delusional! What on earth did he do that can even remotely be considered conservative?

Maybe Bush is to the right of someone who is overtly pushing socialism, Obama, but that by no means makes him conservative. Bigger government is a liberal desire not conservative. Bush/Cheney worked to expand government not shrink it. Authoritarian control of the masses is the goal of liberalism... I remind you of the patriot act, NSA wiretapping and Obamacare. These three issues are all liberal efforts to control us.

Bush a conservative LOL, next you will be telling us Romney and Kerry are conservative.

Immie

Immie, I can understand you not wanting to get any of that shit on your shoes, but you are really being deceitful by trying to blame liberals for what conservatives have done. I sure as hell didn't hear any conservatives critical of Bush and Cheney when they were in power. I know you will say you were, and I would tend to believe YOU. But I hear that story all the time. Problem is I was on this and other boards when Bush was in office...there was not a PEEP from conservatives calling out Bush.

Liberalism is an antonym of authoritarianism.

While not all conservatives are authoritarians; all highly authoritarian personalities are political conservatives.
Robert Altmeyer - The Authoritarians

I vividly recall when liberals were in power over 30 years ago. That was a LONG time ago Immie. There was never ANY talk about debt. You know why Immie? Because liberals PAID for what they spent.

Ronald Reagan switched the federal government from what he critically called, a “tax and spend” policy, to a “borrow and spend” policy, where the government continued its heavy spending, but used borrowed money instead of tax revenue to pay the bills. The results were catastrophic. Although it had taken the United States more than 200 years to accumulate the first $1 trillion of national debt, it took only five years under Reagan to add the second one trillion dollars to the debt.

“Ronald Reagan changed the trajectory of America in a way that Richard Nixon did not and in a way that Bill Clinton did not. Reagan was an ideological inflection point, ending a 50-year liberal ascendancy and beginning a 30-year conservative ascendancy."
Charles Krauthammer

"The debt explosion has resulted not from big spending by the Democrats, but instead the Republican Party's embrace, about three decades ago, of the insidious doctrine that deficits don't matter if they result from tax cuts."
David Stockman - Director of the Office of Management and Budget for U.S. President Ronald Reagan.

"The excuse cannot be used that Congress massively increased Reagan's budget proposals. On the contrary, there was never much difference between Reagan's and Congress's budgets, and despite propaganda to the contrary, Reagan never proposed a cut in the total budget."
Murray N. Rothbard - former Dean of the Austrian School, an economist, economic historian, and libertarian political philosopher

"Grover Norquist has no plan to pay this debt down. His plan says you continue to add to the debt..."
Senator Saxby Chambliss (R-Ga.)

Immie

Immie

Rand Paul and Paul Ryan are, if being in the business of politics makes one a politician, but they are a vanishing breed.

George W. Bush was the most conservative president we've had since probably Warren G. Harding—and perhaps ever.

Yes, we could tell that by his massive increase in social welfare through Medicare Part D, his attempt to open the Southern border to unlimited illegal immigration, and his international adventurism in nation building...

Why, Bush was almost as "Conservative" as Vlad Lenin or Mao Tse Tung......

Immie

Immie, I can understand you not wanting to get any of that shit on your shoes, but you are really being deceitful by trying to blame liberals for what conservatives have done. I sure as hell didn't hear any conservatives critical of Bush and Cheney when they were in power. I know you will say you were, and I would tend to believe YOU. But I hear that story all the time. Problem is I was on this and other boards when Bush was in office...there was not a PEEP from conservatives calling out Bush.

While not all conservatives are authoritarians; all highly authoritarian personalities are political conservatives.
Robert Altmeyer - The Authoritarians

I vividly recall when liberals were in power over 30 years ago. That was a LONG time ago Immie. There was never ANY talk about debt. You know why Immie? Because liberals PAID for what they spent.

Ronald Reagan switched the federal government from what he critically called, a “tax and spend” policy, to a “borrow and spend” policy, where the government continued its heavy spending, but used borrowed money instead of tax revenue to pay the bills. The results were catastrophic. Although it had taken the United States more than 200 years to accumulate the first $1 trillion of national debt, it took only five years under Reagan to add the second one trillion dollars to the debt.

“Ronald Reagan changed the trajectory of America in a way that Richard Nixon did not and in a way that Bill Clinton did not. Reagan was an ideological inflection point, ending a 50-year liberal ascendancy and beginning a 30-year conservative ascendancy."
Charles Krauthammer

"The debt explosion has resulted not from big spending by the Democrats, but instead the Republican Party's embrace, about three decades ago, of the insidious doctrine that deficits don't matter if they result from tax cuts."
David Stockman - Director of the Office of Management and Budget for U.S. President Ronald Reagan.

"The excuse cannot be used that Congress massively increased Reagan's budget proposals. On the contrary, there was never much difference between Reagan's and Congress's budgets, and despite propaganda to the contrary, Reagan never proposed a cut in the total budget."
Murray N. Rothbard - former Dean of the Austrian School, an economist, economic historian, and libertarian political philosopher

"Grover Norquist has no plan to pay this debt down. His plan says you continue to add to the debt..."
Senator Saxby Chambliss (R-Ga.)

May I ask how many Hail Marys that lie will cost you?

Liberals have ruled this land since before I was born and I was born during Kennedy's Presidency. But liberalism always blames the other guy.

Immie

Last edited:

Forum List

Back