Why Do People Support Trump?

How to explain this?
One of the most interesting political questions of our time, seriously.

He has somehow tapped into a vein that makes people forget/forgive all the things you mention, not mention his (pick a few adjectives here) behavior, and focus on what appears to be three things: The border, America First and his obnoxious personality.

And a year ago, many of these same people would have told you that they firmly and unequivocally support "conservative values", period.

Personally, I think it's pretty clear that about half the party has been whipped into a hysterical frenzy - first by talk radio and then, on top of that, by conservative online media.

Many books will be written about this time.
Trump understands the media better than any other candidate, and has used that to his advantage. He has also listened to BT Barnum who wrote that no one ever went broke underestimating the stupidity of the American people.
This is one of the key components to why he is so successful. His information control and propaganda machine are something we haven't seen in this country since the 1950's most likely. You literally see him and his supporters disregard highly legitimate, reputable sources that disagree with his stances or opinions because...they disagree with his stances and opinions. That is radical.

Oddly enough, a lot of people also seem to support him because he claims that he can't be bought by big business like other politicians are. The odd thing is...Trump IS BIG BUSINESS. He's highly successful, has a lot of links to people in the business world, and has shown repeatedly, in the past, to try and use people in a political position to get policies pushed that favor him and his business allies. Why would he change now?

In short, most Trump supporters are idiots.
. Ok so he's big business, but what kind of big business is he ? Is he the ki d who would make deals that undermine and destroy's the strength of the nation, or is he a business man who knows how to make deals while preserving the culture, unity, strength, and character of a nation that has been blessed with resources unabound and plentiful ? Will he make America proud and strong again or will we elect a Hillary Clinton who is a proven liar on issues that were critical and so important to the nation, but then she fumbled the football everytime she was put in the position to get a job done ?
Hes a businessman-saint!

I see here and elsewhere people who otherwise identify and conservative or Republican or both. Yet if you asked them even 9 months ago, would you support a life long Democrat who favors single payer healthcare, favors use of eminent domain for private gain, favors abortion, and has never held office they would answer a resounding NO.
And yet here they are supporting Trump, who is all those things and more. A man with professed intentions to commit war crimes, an idiot on foreign policy, a serial adulterer, a man who plays footsie with racists.
How to explain this?
It's simple. Trump is riding the wave of discontent Republican voters have with the Republican establishment. They're sick and tired of having bland, featureless, gentlemanly candidates who run away when the NYT threatens to call them a racist, bigot, homophobe who wears white after Labor Day.

The bottom line is this. A Trump presidency would be a crap shoot, a Hillary presidency would just be crap.
I agree with this statement. I see Hillary as likely continuing things as they are. Now, if you don't watch radical right wing news sources...you would realize that we are still one of the most powerful countries in the world. We are doing great. We have one of the strongest economies, we have THE strongest military, we have strong global influence...by most measures we would probably be in the top 5 strongest nations in the world. So, continuing the status quo, while concerning (with our debt, our recent lack of military modernization, a growing income inequality divide between the normal citizen and the hyper wealthy, etc.) is at least palatable.

On the other hand, Trump is a crap shoot. We really don't know what he is going to do in office. He could be okay for the country (there is almost no way he would do great as he has ostracized himself from both political parties and would have no legislative cooperation) or he could be so inane as to actually cause a civil war (this isn't outside the bounds of reality when you consider how divisive he is...people are both radically opposed to him and radically support him...he could likely be assassinated which would fuel, at the very least, many riots and protests and, at the very worst, outright civil conflict). Maybe it is just me, but I'd take an assured concerning status quo over the potential for having to literally barricade my own home and kill my neighbors.
. Who would you blame for such a war ? Would it be Trump for trying to bring America back or would you blame the ones who were intent on bringing the nation to it's knees, and then implementing radical agenda's that go against almost every American value this nation ever had ?

I see here and elsewhere people who otherwise identify and conservative or Republican or both. Yet if you asked them even 9 months ago, would you support a life long Democrat who favors single payer healthcare, favors use of eminent domain for private gain, favors abortion, and has never held office they would answer a resounding NO.
And yet here they are supporting Trump, who is all those things and more. A man with professed intentions to commit war crimes, an idiot on foreign policy, a serial adulterer, a man who plays footsie with racists.
How to explain this?
It's simple. Trump is riding the wave of discontent Republican voters have with the Republican establishment. They're sick and tired of having bland, featureless, gentlemanly candidates who run away when the NYT threatens to call them a racist, bigot, homophobe who wears white after Labor Day.

The bottom line is this. A Trump presidency would be a crap shoot, a Hillary presidency would just be crap.
I agree with this statement. I see Hillary as likely continuing things as they are. Now, if you don't watch radical right wing news sources...you would realize that we are still one of the most powerful countries in the world. We are doing great. We have one of the strongest economies, we have THE strongest military, we have strong global influence...by most measures we would probably be in the top 5 strongest nations in the world. So, continuing the status quo, while concerning (with our debt, our recent lack of military modernization, a growing income inequality divide between the normal citizen and the hyper wealthy, etc.) is at least palatable.

On the other hand, Trump is a crap shoot. We really don't know what he is going to do in office. He could be okay for the country (there is almost no way he would do great as he has ostracized himself from both political parties and would have no legislative cooperation) or he could be so inane as to actually cause a civil war (this isn't outside the bounds of reality when you consider how divisive he is...people are both radically opposed to him and radically support him...he could likely be assassinated which would fuel, at the very least, many riots and protests and, at the very worst, outright civil conflict). Maybe it is just me, but I'd take an assured concerning status quo over the potential for having to literally barricade my own home and kill my neighbors.
I'm thinking the irony here is that both Clinton and Trump would probably end up being relatively moderate, pragmatic Presidents. Both of them are playing to their base, and both annoy the ideological purists in their parties. A bigger wild card is how congressional elections shake out.

In other words, I suspect the country would somehow manage to survive either of them.

:rolleyes-41:

If you look at the 17 clowns who started out in the GOP primary and a criminal POS like Trump looks best of the bunch it speaks volumes about the GOP and its retarded voters. Damn, Republicans are evil and stupid.

How to explain this?

. Who would you blame for such a war ? Would it be Trump for trying to bring America back or would you blame the ones who were intent on bringing the nation to it's knees, and then implementing radical agenda's that go against almost every American value this nation ever had ?

What countries are greater than America?

How to explain this?
One of the most interesting political questions of our time, seriously.

He has somehow tapped into a vein that makes people forget/forgive all the things you mention, not mention his (pick a few adjectives here) behavior, and focus on what appears to be three things: The border, America First and his obnoxious personality.

And a year ago, many of these same people would have told you that they firmly and unequivocally support "conservative values", period.

Personally, I think it's pretty clear that about half the party has been whipped into a hysterical frenzy - first by talk radio and then, on top of that, by conservative online media.

Many books will be written about this time.
Trump understands the media better than any other candidate, and has used that to his advantage. He has also listened to BT Barnum who wrote that no one ever went broke underestimating the stupidity of the American people.
This is one of the key components to why he is so successful. His information control and propaganda machine are something we haven't seen in this country since the 1950's most likely. You literally see him and his supporters disregard highly legitimate, reputable sources that disagree with his stances or opinions because...they disagree with his stances and opinions. That is radical.

Oddly enough, a lot of people also seem to support him because he claims that he can't be bought by big business like other politicians are. The odd thing is...Trump IS BIG BUSINESS. He's highly successful, has a lot of links to people in the business world, and has shown repeatedly, in the past, to try and use people in a political position to get policies pushed that favor him and his business allies. Why would he change now?

In short, most Trump supporters are idiots.
. Ok so he's big business, but what kind of big business is he ? Is he the ki d who would make deals that undermine and destroy's the strength of the nation, or is he a business man who knows how to make deals while preserving the culture, unity, strength, and character of a nation that has been blessed with resources unabound and plentiful ? Will he make America proud and strong again or will we elect a Hillary Clinton who is a proven liar on issues that were critical and so important to the nation, but then she fumbled the football everytime she was put in the position to get a job done ?
Considering that Trump admits to hiring immigrants, outsourcing to China or Mexico, and has repeatedly tried to use political ties and donations to further his business goals...he seems to be just the type of businessman he is fighting against, and the type that YOU are fighting against. It is almost like he his actions are saying one thing why his rhetoric is saying the complete opposite. With that said, especially if you read international news, he'd probably be the last American to make us proud or strong.

I'm not a fan of Hillary, she's honestly pretty much Trump but a Democrat (flip flops on issues depending on what she thinks will further her politically, had direct ties to big business, etc.) but, at the very least, she is a politician. At the very least she will be able to garner support from some people in Congress. At the very least something, rather than nothing, will be getting done by our government. With all that said...given Trump vs. Hillary, I'd choose Hillary every time and hope we make it through four years (one thing I'd give Trump over Hillary is that he'd likely be better for us militarily) so I can vote against her next election cycle.

How to explain this?
Your inquiry is squarely based on a false premise.

Everyone who is not a SADFI can comprehend that.

How to explain this?

I'm thinking the irony here is that both Clinton and Trump would probably end up being relatively moderate, pragmatic Presidents. Both of them are playing to their base, and both annoy the ideological purists in their parties. A bigger wild card is how congressional elections shake out.

In other words, I suspect the country would somehow manage to survive either of them.

Hillary will be corrupt as shit but very efficient. Trump will be a bull in a china shop because he is arrogant and ignorant. And we saw with Obama arrogant and ignorant are bad combinations.

Well..... for the longest time the GOP (mainly the establishment) has been ignoring the concerns of their constituents. We complained about Commie Care, and they told us there is nothing they can do because Democrats in Congress were in charge, so we put Republicans in charge. Still little change and we complained. They told us the Democrat led Senate is holding up their progress, so we gave Republicans leadership of the Senate as well. Now their excuse is they don't have the White House.

As the invaders are changing the US into a bilingual nation, holding down our wages, breaking our laws, and sending our US dollars back to their homeland by the billions every year, we strongly expressed how we wanted that stopped. What did we get? We got immigration reform. WTF asked for reform? We told them to get these people out of our country.

Then of course there was no cut in funds to Commie Care, no cut in funds to Planned Parenthood, no balanced budget, and all we got in return were excuses such as the fear of a government shutdown.

Our position is this: when Democrats are in charge, we have to do things the Democrat way. When Republicans are in charge, we still have to do things the Democrat way. So when are they ever going to do things our way?

Along came Donald Trump. He spoke about getting rid of the invaders. He spoke about the trade deficit. He spoke about real jobs, and not these Burger King jobs being created the last couple of years. He spoke about not taking crap from anybody.

That's why people support Donald Trump, because the professional politicians told us they would make change, but never delivered. Time to try something new. After all, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results each time.
I agree that the GOP has failed its voters.
I disagree with your racist and bigoted comments about immigrants.
I agree that Trump has understood that anger and has crafted his message to tap into it.
I disagree that anyone who cares anything about principles could possibly support this buffoon.

I'd support Micky Mouse over Hillary or Socialist Sanders. As for the primaries, I voted for our Governor in solidarity.

Do tell, what is racist or bigoted about my comments? Name one thing I said that isn't true. You create a thread asking people why the support for Trump, and when we tell you, you throw out insults.
That immigrants are "invaders", that they are keeping wages down (no evidence of it), that they are criminals. You understand that is bigotry, right?

No, I don't understand that at all.

If you come here illegally, you are breaking our laws.
If you come here against the will of the people and our laws by the millions, then yes, you are invading our country.

That's bigotry?
If you drive 60 MPH in a 55MPH zone you are breaking our laws
If you have an overdue library book you are stealing.
Yes your statements are those of bigotry. And Ignorance.

We should enforce our immigration laws and seal the border....You got a problem with that? :dunno:

For immigration: Which laws should we be enforcing that we're ? Be specific, cite the legal codes.

I just addressed that.

For terrorism: Who should we kill? Again, be specific - and tell me how killing those people will "eliminate" terrorism.

First, Al-Qaeda, ISIS, the Taliban and all other affiliated elements whose sole purpose is to threaten America and the western world. Second, terrorism can't be completely eliminated, but the threat it poses can.

Where are all these people that you think should be killed? How should we kill them? Will there be collateral damage? How much will it cost, in terms of money and troops? Will the collateral damage inspire more terrorists? How will mass killings eliminate the threat posed by terrorism?

Are republicans going to raise taxes to hire more jack booted thugs errr I mean ICE agents to kick in doors, apprehend dangerous au pairs, maids, and gardeners? Watch out…he’s reaching for a watering can!!!

Law enforcement officers are thugs in liberal land, and real thugs are victims :cuckoo:

How to explain this?

Hillary will be corrupt as shit but very efficient. Trump will be a bull in a china shop because he is arrogant and ignorant. And we saw with Obama arrogant and ignorant are bad combinations.

One vote for efficient corruption:uhh:

How to explain this?

I guess the unknown here is how Trump behaves behind closed doors. It's possible he's a perfectly normal adult back there. I'm holding out hope, I guess.

And yes, Hillary would be a machine, and not anywhere near the maniacal communist/Marxist/whatever-ist she's being painted as.

For immigration: Which laws should we be enforcing that we're ? Be specific, cite the legal codes.

I just addressed that.

For terrorism: Who should we kill? Again, be specific - and tell me how killing those people will "eliminate" terrorism.

First, Al-Qaeda, ISIS, the Taliban and all other affiliated elements whose sole purpose is to threaten America and the western world. Second, terrorism can't be completely eliminated, but the threat it poses can.

Where are all these people that you think should be killed? How should we kill them? Will there be collateral damage? How much will it cost, in terms of money and troops? Will the collateral damage inspire more terrorists? How will mass killings eliminate the threat posed by terrorism?

Are republicans going to raise taxes to hire more jack booted thugs errr I mean ICE agents to kick in doors, apprehend dangerous au pairs, maids, and gardeners? Watch out…he’s reaching for a watering can!!!

Law enforcement officers are thugs in liberal land, and real thugs are victims :cuckoo:
. Change it to good folks and bad folks, and it still comes out the same. Liberal land is a crazy confused place.

How to explain this?
People want the 12,000,000 Illegal Aliens gone.

People want the Big Corporations to be forced to bring manufacturing jobs back on-shore.

People want the US to break away from NAFTA, TPP and similar treaties which harm the Middle Class.

Attila the Hun promises these things, when nobody else (who actually stands a snowball's-chance-in-hell of pulling it off) will.do so.

People see light at the end of the tunnel, in such promises, and do not see the forks in the tunnel-road that can lead into darkness.

You can't blame people for being drawn to the light, and fresh air.

Assuming that light and fresh air actually exist at the other end of that tunnel...
confused_smile.gif

We should enforce our immigration laws and seal the border....You got a problem with that?

The Ironic thing is you can't see Trump is using hatred of Mexicans the way Hitler used hatred of Jews.
. That's funny, because Trump was working the Mexicans on his projects right, so he hates those who have helped him eh ? Your not making any sense, but of course your not, because your hatred for Trump is causing you to say anything and everything to try and defeat your biggest fears in life. I specifically heard Trump having a problem with Muslim refugee's coming into this nation because they can't be properly vetted, and he has a problem like millions more do with an open border that has facilitated an illegal invasion. Hate is what you libs do, and if someone wants to uphold the law, then you transfer that hate to those people, and even unjustifiably so, but you think the American people have been dumbed down enough to believe they are the problem instead of the problem. Don't you think that the American people have had enough of the LIB con by now ?

How to explain this?

I guess the unknown here is how Trump behaves behind closed doors. It's possible he's a perfectly normal adult back there. I'm holding out hope, I guess.

And yes, Hillary would be a machine, and not anywhere near the maniacal communist/Marxist/whatever-ist she's being painted as.
I hardly thnk it's unknown. He shoots from the lip and depends on others to clean up the mess. That would spell disaster in a president.

Forum List

Back