Why do progressives attempt to paint the Confederates as rightwingers?

This is such standard bullshit.

Why can't anyone just debate the truth any more?

Still no rebuttals from the loony left.

It's always the looney right that disses blacks, whether its posts of obama with a watermelon, or complaints about lazy blacks driving detroit into ruins and buying ding dongs with food stamps. That being said, if we still had slavery today and there was a debate about ending slavery, and the billionaire class and corporations wanted to keep slavery, would it be democrats or republicans that sided with the ownership class to keep slavery? Also keeping in mind that it's the looney right that always rushes to the defense of the super rich.

Oh kiss my ass you fool.

It's always the looney right

:lol:

Get a grip. Meet your own. You bastards went after Powell and Rice hard time. Don't give me holier than thou.

condi_whitey.jpg

None of it is proper, but don't you leftist assholes say you aren't as racist and as crazy as others on the right are.

We have people on both sides of the aisle who are racist assholes. Don't point fingers unless you are ready to clean up your own back yard first.

As one who lived in the South, I can assure you that until the Civil Rights Act, the Southern Democratic Party was Conservative.

I'll call you on that. Meet you any time in the bullring to defend that statement. And trust me. I'll make you wished you died as a child.

I am so sick of this shit.

Truly I am. I have not a problem with debating or discussing true history. But lying about history...............

I get pissed off. Don't do it PJ.

That the truth makes you angry is consistent with being a conservative.

But your anger doesn’t change the facts.

As one who lived in the South, I can assure you that until the Civil Rights Act, the Southern Democratic Party was Conservative.

I'll call you on that. Meet you any time in the bullring to defend that statement. And trust me. I'll make you wished you died as a child.

Truly I am. I have not a problem with debating or discussing true history. But lying about history...............

Sure. Like the "fact" that the civil rights eera came off the heels of the civil war. :lmao:

Those kind of "Facts". Twit.

Because they were...they wanted the status quo...that is Conservativism.

You mean, the status quo of a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Yeah that is what Lincoln and the Republican party wanted to preserve. It is shameful the democrat party's role in slavery and the fact that they have yet to apologize. Or they have yet to apologize for what they have done to the black community since LBJ.

The Founders believed all land-owning White men were created equally(or at least this is who they first allowed to vote, some like Jefferson and Jackson thought all White men should vote). But to suggest the founders were radical racial egalitarians is just simply not in line with history.

Lincoln was a radical progressive, not in the sense of racial egalitarianism, he was in fact a white separatist who wanted to relocate blacks to Africa. He was a radical progressive in the sense he opposed the states' rights and federalism(and thus the right of voluntary secession the US was founded on). Not to mention how we suspended the Habeas Corpus and free speech. Abe Lincoln was a proto-marxist and in fact had the support of Karl Marx back in the day.
Karl Marx and Abraham Lincoln, Penpals | Critical-Theory.com

Anyone that supports Abe Lincoln isn't a conservative at all. But that makes sense, since the Republican Party is not a conservative party.

Lincoln was a typical Whig of his day, big on federal support for transportation and communication and industry, populist for the little man to get land in the west, supportive of government-financed education, but struggling (as all politicians were in that era) with the problems of race and slavery.

The GOP of the 1860s was split into strong conservatives, moderates except on race, and liberals.

Lincoln's threading the needles with these threads, along with northern Dems, was masterful.

William Jennings was a politician long after the Civil War, are you high or just retarded?

Jennings was one of a long train of Progressive Democrats.

William Jennings Bryan had zip to do with the Confederacy. And by the way, you aren't Conservative, at all.

William Jennings Bryan is far more Conservative than you are.

Bryan was far more conservative on social traditions and culture and business than McKinley.

Because they were...they wanted the status quo...that is Conservativism.

You mean, the status quo of a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Yeah that is what Lincoln and the Republican party wanted to preserve. It is shameful the democrat party's role in slavery and the fact that they have yet to apologize. Or they have yet to apologize for what they have done to the black community since LBJ.

The Founders believed all land-owning White men were created equally(or at least this is who they first allowed to vote, some like Jefferson and Jackson thought all White men should vote). But to suggest the founders were radical racial egalitarians is just simply not in line with history.
No one ever said they did.

But the fundamental tenets of the Constitution clearly establish the fact that it was the Framers’ original intent to afford all persons the right to individual liberty, free from interference by the state.

As Justice Kennedy noted in Lawrence:

Had those who drew and ratified the Due Process Clauses of the Fifth Amendment or the Fourteenth Amendment known the components of liberty in its manifold possibilities, they might have been more specific. They did not presume to have this insight. They knew times can blind us to certain truths and later generations can see that laws once thought necessary and proper in fact serve only to oppress. As the Constitution endures, persons in every generation can invoke its principles in their own search for greater freedom.

Those who composed the Founding Document sought not to realize a finite codification of citizens’ rights; rather, they sought to preserve their understanding of personal freedom, and how that freedom relates to the state.

Meet me in the bull ring. I've not a problem with a true debate on this.

Challenge me and I will meet you.

I don't have to justify something I'm not doing.

How do you justify the left rewriting history to makes themselves look pure as angels?

When was defending states rights a liberal position?
When was Lincoln a Democrat?

Allow me to repeat the question. When was defending states rights a liberal position?

You're claiming it is. Offer some proof. States' rights were the cornerstone of the Southern Democratic political belief.

If you wish to somehow argue that they were liberals/progressives, then start by explaining that.

I described a clear link between the ideology of the Democrat Party in the past, and that of today. Instead of replying to what I said, you make an idiotic one sentence statement.

In the past, not today.

That’s why Southerners left the party in droves during the Civil Rights Era and after, and joined the republican party with promises of preserving ‘white Christian culture’ and ‘traditional values’; the GOP entered into a Faustian bargain with social conservatives, Christian fundamentalists, and the extreme fiscal right, all of whom fearful of, and hostile to, individual liberty, diversity, and dissent.

And it worked.

Until a few years ago, that is - when young, minority, and women voters began to reject the GOP’s message of hostility toward same-sex couples, gays, women, Hispanics, and African-Americans, they rejected the GOP’s message of division and hate.

Now the GOP finds itself in a civil war with the TPM and other factions of the radical right, the establishment is actually funding campaigns of moderates in the hope of staving off the TPM onslaught of unelectable extremist candidates.

Jeebus. So what you're saying is, the civil rights era came off the heels of the civil war. :cuckoo:

You just can not make this shit up with "pragmatic progressives". They will lead you through a maze of false premises, throw at you a few logical fallaices and then dazzle you with hyperbole/semantics.

:eusa_hand:

Nope. Looks like you made that up. The current Civil War is in the Republican party.

Correct.

The South has always been conservative, it’s party affiliation that changed.

You're a moron.

You've always been a moron.

You'll always be a moron.

1. So, the struggle ended: Thurgood Marshall had won his cases in the Supreme Court, Eisenhower used the military to enforce the victories, Nixon desegregated the schools and building trades, and Democrat “Bull” Connor was voted out of office by the people of Alabama. And, finally, even a majority of Democrats supported civil rights. Democrat segregationists were defeated.

2. This was the precise moment when liberals decided it was time to come out strongly against race discrimination!

3. Not having participated in the winning side of the battle, Democrats spent the next few decades pretending, and engaging in a ritualistic reenactment of the struggle. They wrote a modern day passion play, designating “racists,” “victims of racist violence,” and wrote themselves the best part: “saviors of black America!”
Coulter, "Mugged"

“In addition to lying in the history books, liberals lied on their personal resumes. Suddenly, every liberal remembered being beaten up by a 300-pound Southern sheriff during the civil rights movement. Among the ones who have been caught falsely gassing about their civil rights heroism are Bob Beckel, Carl Bernstein and Joseph Ellis. (Some days, it seems as if there are more liberals pretending to have been Freedom Riders than pretending to be Cherokees!)… You will never see anything so brave as a liberal fighting nonexistent enemies.” Liberals Can't Break 200-Year Racism Habit - Ann Coulter - Page full

I described a clear link between the ideology of the Democrat Party in the past, and that of today. Instead of replying to what I said, you make an idiotic one sentence statement.

In the past, not today.

That’s why Southerners left the party in droves during the Civil Rights Era and after, and joined the republican party with promises of preserving ‘white Christian culture’ and ‘traditional values’; the GOP entered into a Faustian bargain with social conservatives, Christian fundamentalists, and the extreme fiscal right, all of whom fearful of, and hostile to, individual liberty, diversity, and dissent.

And it worked.

Until a few years ago, that is - when young, minority, and women voters began to reject the GOP’s message of hostility toward same-sex couples, gays, women, Hispanics, and African-Americans, they rejected the GOP’s message of division and hate.

Now the GOP finds itself in a civil war with the TPM and other factions of the radical right, the establishment is actually funding campaigns of moderates in the hope of staving off the TPM onslaught of unelectable extremist candidates.

1. Governor Clinton invited Orval Faubus to his inauguration and they exchanged an almost South American abrazo, embrace,
Booknotes :: Watch

a. Clinton’s mentor was J. William Fulbright, a vehement foe of integration who had voted against the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

b. Governor Orval Faubus, progressive New Deal Democrat, blocked the schoolhouse door to the Little Rock Central High School with the state’s National Guard rather than allow nine black students to attend.

2. Language is important, so in any discussion of who the segregationists were, liberals switch the word “Democrats” to “southerners.” Remember, the Civil Rights Act of 1957 was supported by all the Republicans in the Senate, but only 29 of 47 Democrats…and a number of the ‘segregationist’ Democrats were northern Dems (Oregon, Washington, Montana, and Wyoming). Not southerners: Democrats.

a. There were plenty of southern integrationists. They were Republicans.

3. 1966- pro-integrationist Republican Winthrop Rockefeller won Arkansas, replacing Clinton-pal Orval Faubus.

4. 1966 Republican Bo Calloway ran against Democrat Lester Maddox, who “gained national attention for refusing to serve blacks in his popular cafeteria near the Georgia Tech campus. Newsmen tipped off about the confrontation reported how restaurant patrons and employees wielded ax handles while Mr. Maddox waved a pistol. …” Lester Maddox Dies at 87; Segregationist Ex-Governor Leaves Complicated Legacy | HighBeam Business: Arrive Prepared

a. Maddox was endorsed by Democrat Jimmy Carter in the above governor’s race. When the race was too close to call, the Democrat state legislature gave it to Maddox.

b. Calloway appealed to the Supreme Court….but the court upheld the legislature’s decision.

c. On that very Supreme Court was former KKK member Justice Hugo Black.

d. Democrat Hugo Black was Democrat FDR’s first appointee, in 1937. This KKK Senator from Alabama wrote the majority decision on Korematsu v. US; in 1967, he said ‘They all look alike to a person not a Jap.” Engage: Conversations in Philosophy: "They all look alike to a person not a Jap"*: The Legacy of Korematsu at OSU

5. 1966- Republican Spiro Agnew ran against Democrat segregationists George Mahoney for governor of Maryland. Agnew enacted some of the first laws in the nation against race discrimination in public housing. “Agnew signed the state's first open-housing laws and succeeded in getting the repeal of an anti-miscegenation law.” Spiro Agnew - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not necessary for you to attempt to prove how stupid you are....

...your work in that endeavor is an unmitigated success!!!!

When was defending states rights a liberal position?
When was Lincoln a Democrat?

Allow me to repeat the question. When was defending states rights a liberal position?

You're claiming it is. Offer some proof. States' rights were the cornerstone of the Southern Democratic political belief.

If you wish to somehow argue that they were liberals/progressives, then start by explaining that.

Now it’s the cornerstone of Southern republican political belief; but Southern nonetheless.

And of course this ‘belief’ is errant, a myth contrived and embellished over the last 50 years – the fallacy that the states possess some ‘authority’ to ignore or reject Federal laws or rulings by Federal courts, the inane and ignorant notion that the states are not subject to the Federal Constitution and its case law.

OP- No one's more RW than slave holders, dingbat. Luckily, True information is the RW's worst enemy...

Liberal historian Eric Foner writes that the Klan was “…a military force serving the interests of the Democratic Party…”
Foner, “Reconstruction: America’s Unfinished Revolution, 1863-1877,” p. 425

Good thing you're incapable of learning.....that means I can post this tidbit again.

Forum List

Back