Why do progressives attempt to paint the Confederates as rightwingers?

Q: Was the Republican presidential nominee FOR or AGAINST the Civil Rights Act in 1964?

Bonus points; Who was the keynote speaker that gave that gripping speech at the GOP 1964 convention?
BG? lol

Apparently Barry Goldwater is a progressive, or a democrat, or both, because he opposed the Civil Rights Act. Does mean in the World of Fox News, Sarah Palin, and Glenn Beck that LBJ is now a Conservative Republican for supporting the legislation?

How do you misread me?

So you spit on the right for a people to exist? You spit on private property? You spit on the right for people to associate with whomever they wish and live their life as they wish?
Quote: Originally Posted by Iceman
Piss on Michael King. He is a philandering communist plagiarist that set out to undermine the values America was founding on, primarily private property, free association, and white self determination.

'nuff said.

Oh man, I committed blasphemy by deviating from the orthodoxy on Saint King:eusa_boohoo:. Will I be burned at the stake?
Believe what you want dude.

I like bigots to be out and proud. Easier to know who to take serious.

Have fun persuing your dream of "white self determination."

Q: Was the Republican presidential nominee FOR or AGAINST the Civil Rights Act in 1964?

Bonus points; Who was the keynote speaker that gave that gripping speech at the GOP 1964 convention?
BG? lol
None other than Ronald Reagan...who made a rousing splash at that 1964 convention, detailing how sucky the Civil Rights Act was -- and the conservatives laid wreaths around St. Ronnie henceforth.

'nuff said.

Oh man, I committed blasphemy by deviating from the orthodoxy on Saint King:eusa_boohoo:. Will I be burned at the stake?

Perusing? Call me whatever you want, but at least I have a grasp of the English language.

By saying whites shouldn't have self determination, you are essentially saying we don't have a right to exist. Does this apply to Africans, Jews, Asians, Arabs, Mestizos, Amerindians etc?

Last edited:

BG? lol

Apparently Barry Goldwater is a progressive, or a democrat, or both, because he opposed the Civil Rights Act. Does mean in the World of Fox News, Sarah Palin, and Glenn Beck that LBJ is now a Conservative Republican for supporting the legislation?

LOL, when cornered some people like to first deny that political party affiliation doesn't necessarily make one's ideology conservative or Liberal. I agree with that point. In this case they try to use the conservatives in the South who were Democrats, to smear today's Democrats who are not conservatives, many of whom would have been lynched by the Southern conservative democrats the OP is now calling "liberals"/"progressives". Here's a prime example: http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...ve-myths-about-black-america.html#post8130580

That's why I used John C. Calhoun et al as an example. He is lauded in some republican conservative circles today, as well as Wiliam F. Buckley who was a republican and a conservative. The Republicans during the Civil War era were in fact Liberals and the Democrats of that time were Conservatives, the States' Rights meme is used by conservatives then and now.

Last edited:

BG? lol
None other than Ronald Reagan...who made a rousing splash at that 1964 convention, detailing how sucky the Civil Rights Act was -- and the conservatives laid wreaths around St. Ronnie henceforth.

Damn! That's what I get for "speed reading"! :lol:
United States presidential election, 1964 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Perusing? Call me whatever you want, but at least I have a grasp of the English language.
Apparently not.

LOL, when cornered some people like to first deny that political party affiliation doesn't necessarily make one's ideology conservative or Liberal. I agree with that point. In this case they try to use the conservatives in the South who were Democrats, to smear today's Democrats who are not conservatives, many of whom would have been lynched by the Southern conservative democrats the OP is now calling "liberals"/"progressives".

That's why I used John C. Calhoun et al as an example. He is lauded in some republican conservative circles today, as well as Wiliam F. Buckley who was a republican and a conservative. The Republicans during the Civil War era were in fact Liberals and the Democrats of that time were Conservatives, the States' Rights meme is used by conservatives then and now.

I don't think they understand that the Republican Party was founded as a Progressive Party(see Lincoln and Teddy Roosevelt). It gained a Conservative wing around the 1920s during the presidencies of Coolidge and Harding(and a fairly strong isolationist wing, though small right before WW2 with Lindbergh and Robert Taft to name a few). However, most of the Republicans that supported the Civil Rights Act were Rockefeller Republicans, the successors of Lincoln and Teddy Roosevelt. The Northern Republicans who supported the Civil Rights Act were not conservative by any means, hence the opposition from the conservative wing of the party under Goldwater. This is not to say they were only divided by the Civil Rights Act, they weren't. But during 1964, southern democrats started moving away from the Democrat Party under LBJ(the party was starting to be controlled by northern progressives). This move was solidified in the elections of 1968 and 1972 where Nixon locked up the "Solid South" under the Southern Strategy of Lee Atwater.

Yea, that pretty much sums it up.

I'm guessing you must be about 13 or 14? Are you home schooled? If not, go to a history teacher and ask when the blacks joined the Democratic Party and when did the GOP became 90% white and the home of the KKK.

Course, if you believe the earth is only 6 thousand years old and trickle down is a "real" economic policy, then talking to someone with actual knowledge probably won't make a dent in such an ignorant and foil hat.

Look at rdean go!

You must be the 13-14 year old, since you are the one launching the insults and not arguing the facts, or for that matter reacting childishly to the presentation of facts that trump your own will.

The facts are the conservatives fled the Democratic Party in the middle 60's and joined the GOP when the blacks joined the Democratic Party. That's what happened. The results? The GOP is the confederate party. Lincoln not being a confederate should explain it pretty clearly. And why is the GOP 90% white?

Look why don't you just suck who's cock.

No democrat ever fled. Can we talk about George? Big embarrassment you idiot.

Apparently not.

By saying whites shouldn't have self determination, you are essentially saying we don't have a right to exist. Does this apply to Africans, Jews, Asians, Arabs, Mestizos, Amerindians etc?

Look at rdean go!

You must be the 13-14 year old, since you are the one launching the insults and not arguing the facts, or for that matter reacting childishly to the presentation of facts that trump your own will.

The facts are the conservatives fled the Democratic Party in the middle 60's and joined the GOP when the blacks joined the Democratic Party. That's what happened. The results? The GOP is the confederate party. Lincoln not being a confederate should explain it pretty clearly. And why is the GOP 90% white?

Look why don't you just suck who's cock.

No democrat ever fled. Can we talk about George? Big embarrassment you idiot.

I do have to congratulate you for representing the vast majority of the Republican Party.

'nuff said.

Fuck you douche bag.

White self determination. Let's look at America. Caucasians the trip man.

You don't get a black president without a white vote.

So if you don't like whites well go fuck yourself. What you consider white. But you don't get a black president without a white vote mother fucker.

NOW that all aside, you want it this way chichi mama? Truly you want your hatred your big balls bulshit all over the place?

Fuck you.

We['re getting into a danger zone now. Some people on their other side better pull back their people.

George Wallace. He is yours you idiots.

Wallace was more Conservative than any Republican or Democrat politician today.

Pardon me. No he wasn't. He was D all the way. He hated *******. It was the way of the south back then.

D hates blacks. I will not let you change truth. Democrats hated every ****** in the south at the time.

Cripes. Can't you recognize truth in history? Cripes you have the KKK with the D's you have Jim Crow laws with the D's what the hell else do you need to prove to yourself that D's were the racists and the R's were the saviors

Pardon me. No he wasn't. He was D all the way. He hated *******. It was the way of the south back then.

D hates blacks. I will not let you change truth. Democrats hated every ****** in the south at the time.

Cripes. Can't you recognize truth in history? Cripes you have the KKK with the D's you have Jim Crow laws with the D's what the hell else do you need to prove to yourself that D's were the racists and the R's were the saviors

Many Southern Democrats were conservative. You don't seem to understand the difference between the words republican and conservative, they are mutually exclusive.

You do realize MLK was a communist who voted for LBJ right?

Last edited:

The conservative you wish to disown:

Speech by George C. Wallace The Civil Rights Movement fraud, sham and hoax 1964

July 4, 1964

wallace.jpg
We come here today in deference to the memory of those stalwart patroits who on July 4, 1776, pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor to establish and defend the proposition that governments are created by the people, empowered by the people, derive their just powers from the consent of the people, and must forever remain subservient to the will of the people.
Today, 188 years later, we celebrate that occasion and find inspiration and determination and courage to preserve and protect the great principles of freedom enunciated in the Declaration of Independence.
It is therefore a cruel irony that the President of the United States has only yesterday signed into law the most monstrous piece of legislation ever enacted by the United States Congress.
It is a fraud, a sham, and a hoax. This bill will live in infamy. To sign it into law at any time is tragic. To do so upon the eve of the celebration of our independence insults the intelligence of the American people.
It dishonors the memory of countless thousands of our dead who offered up their very lives in defense of principles which this bill destroys.
Never before in the history of this nation have so many human and property rights been destroyed by a single enactment of the Congress. It is an act of tyranny. It is the assassin's knife stuck in the back of liberty.
With this assassin's knife and a blackjack in the hand of the Federal force-cult, the left-wing liberals will try to force us back into bondage. Bondage to a tyranny more brutal than that imposed by the British monarchy which claimed power to rule over the lives of our forefathers under sanction of the Divine Right of kings.
Today, this tyranny is imposed by the central government which claims the right to rule over our lives under sanction of the omnipotent black-robed despots who sit on the bench of the United States Supreme Court.
This bill is fraudulent in intent, in design, and in execution.
wallace2.jpg
It is misnamed. Each and every provision is mistitled. It was rammed through the congress on the wave of ballyhoo, promotions, and publicity stunts reminiscent of P. T. Barnum.
It was enacted in an atmosphere of pressure, intimidation, and even cowardice, as demonstrated by the refusal of the United States Senate to adopt an amendment to submit the bill to a vote of the people.
To illustrate the fraud--it is not a Civil Rights Bill. It is a Federal Penal Code. It creates Federal crimes which would take volumes to list and years to tabulate because it affects the lives of 192 million American citizens. Every person in every walk and station of life and every aspect of our daily lives becomes subject to the criminal provisions of this bill.
It threatens our freedom of speech, of assembly, or association, and makes the exercise of these Freedoms a federal crime under certain conditions.
It affects our political rights, our right to trial by jury, our right to the full use and enjoyment of our private property, the freedom from search and seizure of our private property and possessions, the freedom from harassment by Federal police and, in short, all the rights of individuals inherent in a society of free men.
Ministers, lawyers, teachers, newspapers, and every private citizen must guard his speech and watch his actions to avoid the deliberately imposed booby traps put into this bill. It is designed to make Federal crimes of our customs, beliefs, and traditions. Therefore, under the fantastic powers of the Federal judiciary to punish for contempt of oucrt and under their fantastic powers to regulate our most intimate aspects of our lives by injunction, every american citizen is in jeopardy and must stand guard against these despots.
Yet there are those who call this a good bill.
huberthumphrey.jpg
It is people like Senator Hubert Humphrey and other members of Americans for Democratic Action. It is people like Ralph McGill and other left-wing radical apologists.
They called it a good bill before it was amended to restore the right to trial by jury in certain cases.
Yet a Federal judge may still try one without a jury under the provisions of this bill. It was the same persons who said it was a good bill before the amendment pretending to forbid busing of pupils from neighborhood schools. Yet a Federal judge may still order busing from one neighborhood school to another. They have done it, they will continue to do it. As a matter of fact, it is but another evidence of the deceitful intent of the sponsors of this bill for them to claim that it accomplished any such thing.
It was left-wing radicals who led the fight in the Senate for the so-called civil rights bill now about to enslave our nation.
We find Senator Hubert Humphrey telling the people of the United States that "non-violent" demonstrations would continue to serve a good purpose through a "long, busy and constructive summer."
Yet this same Senator told the people of this country that passage of this monstrous bill would ease tensions and stop demonstrations.
This is the same Senator who has suggested, now that the Civil Rights Bill is passed, that the President call the fifty state Governors together to work out ways and means to enforce this rotten measure.
There is no need for him to call on me. I am not about to be a party to anything having to do with the law that is going to destroy individual freedom and liberty in this country.
I am having nothing to do with enforcing a law that will destroy our free enterprise system.
I am having nothing to do with enforcing a law that will destroy neighborhood schools.
I am having nothing to do with enforcing a law that will destroy the rights of private property.
I am having nothing to do with enforcing a law that destroys your right--and my right--to choose my neighbors--or to sell my house to whomever I choose.
I am having nothing to do with enforcing a law that destroys the labor seniority system.
I am having nothing to do with this so-called civil rights bill.
The liberal left-wingers have passed it. Now let them employ some pinknik social engineers in Washington, D.C., To figure out what to do with it.
The situation reminds me of the little boy looking at the blacksmith as he hammered a red-hot horseshoe into the proper shape.
After minutes of hammering, the blacksmith took the horseshoe, splashed it into a tub of water and threw it steaming onto a sawdust pile.
The little fellow picked up the horseshoe, dropped it quickly.
"What's the matter, son," the blacksmith said, "is that shoe too hot to handle?"
"No sir," the little boy said, "it just don't take me long to look at a horseshoe."
It's not going to take the people of this country long to look at the Civil Rights Bill, either.
And they are going to discard it just as quickly as the little boy tossed away the still hot horseshoe.
But I am not here to talk about the separate provisions of the Federal Penal Code. I am here to talk about principles which have been overthrown by the enactment of this bill. The principles that you and I hold dear. The principles for which our forefathers fought and died to establish and to defend. The principles for which we came here to rededicate ourselves.
But before I get into that, let me point out one important fact. It would have been impossible for the American people to have been deceived by the sponsors of this bill had there been a responsible american press to tell the people exactly what the bill contained. If they had had the integrity and the guts to tell the truth, this bill would never have been enacted.
Whoever heard of truth put to the worst in free and open encounter? We couldn't get the truth to the American people.
You and I know that that's extremely difficult to do where our newspapers are owned by out-of-state interests. Newspapers which are run and operated by left-wing liberals, Communist sympathizers, and members of the Americans for Democratic Action and other Communist front organizations with high sounding names.
JoelChandlerHarris.jpg
...Ladies and gentlemen, I have listed only a few of the many acts of tyranny which have been committed or specifically sanctioned by the United States Supreme Court.
I feel it important that you should know and understand what it is that these people are trying to do. The written opinions of the court are filled with double talk, semantics, jargon, and meaningless phrases. The words they use are not important. The ideas that they represent are the things which count.
It is perfectly obvious from the left-wing liberal press and from the left-wing law journals that what the court is saying behind all the jargon is that they don't like our form of government.
They think they can establish a better one. In order to do so it is necessary that they overthrow our existing form, destroy the democratic institutions created by the people, change the outlook, religion, and philosophy, and bring the whole area of human thought, aspiration, action and organization, under the absolute control of the court. Their decisions reveal this to be the goal of the liberal element on the court which is in a majority at present.
It has reached the point where one may no longer look to judicial decisions to determine what the court may do. However, it is possible to predict with accuracy the nature of the opinions to be rendered. One may find the answer in the Communist Manifesto.

A politician must stand on his record. Let the Court stand on its record.
The record reveals, for the past number of years, that the chief, if not the only beneficiaries of the present Court's rulings, have been duly and lawfully convicted criminals, Communists, atheists, and clients of vociferous left-wing minority groups.
There is yet a spirit of resistance in this country which will not be oppressed. And it is awakening. And I am sure there is an abundance of good sense in this country which cannot be deceived.
I have personal knowledge of this. Thirty-four percent of the Wisconsin Democrats supported the beliefs you and I uphold and expound.
Thirty percent of the Democrats in Indiana join us in fighting this grab for executive power by those now in control in Washington.
And, listen to this, forty-three percent of the Democrats in Maryland, practically in view of the nation's capital, believe as you and I believe.
So, let me say to you today. Take heart. Millions of Americans believe just as we in this great region of the United States believe.
I shall never forget last spring as I stood in the midst of a great throng of South Milwaukee supporters at one of the greatest political rallies I have ever witnessed.
A fine-looking man grabbed my hand and said:
"Governor, I've never been south of South Milwaukee, but I am a Southerner!"​
of course, he was saying he believed in the principles and philosophy of the southern people . . . Of you here today and the people of my state of Alabama. He was right.
Being a southerner is no longer geographic. It's a philosophy and an attitude.
One destined to be a national philosophy--embraced by millions of Americans--which shall assume the mantle of leadership and steady a governmental structure in these days of crises.
wallace3.jpg
Certainly I am a candidate for President of the United States.
If the left-wingers do not think I am serious--let them consider this.
I am going to take our fight to the people--the court of public opinion--where truth and common sense will eventually prevail.
At this time, I have definite, concrete plans to get presidential electors pledged to me on the ballots in the following states: Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, New York, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Missouri, Kentucky, Arkansas, Tennessee, and of course Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana.
Other states are under serious consideration.
A candidate for President must receive 270 electoral votes to win.
The states I am definitely going to enter represent 218 electoral votes.
Conservatives of this nation constitute the balance of power in presidential elections.
I am a conservative.

I intend to give the American people a clear choice. I welcome a fight between our philosophy and the liberal left-wing dogma which now threatens to engulf every man, woman, and child in the United States.

I am in this race because I believe the American people have been pushed around long enough and that they, like you and I, are fed up with the continuing trend toward a socialist state which now subjects the individual to the dictates of an all-powerful central government.
I am running for President because I was born free. I want to remain free. I want your children and mine and our prosperity to be unencumbered by the manipulations of a soulless state.
I intend to fight for a positive, affirmative program to restore constitutional government and to stop the senseless bloodletting now being performed on the body of liberty by those who lead us willingly and dangerously close to a totalitarian central government.
..."

Speech by George C. Wallace The Civil Rights Movement fraud, sham and hoax 1964 < 1951- < Documents < American History From Revolution To Reconstruction and beyond

1. Yes, the conservative majority in the South, then democrats, were defeated by the early 1970s.

2. The liberals, both northerners and westerners, led by the democrats, in the 1950s and 1960s conquered the southern conservatives.

3. "Not having" led " the winning side of the battle," extreme conservative Republicans "spent the next few decades pretending, and engaging in a ritualistic reenactment of the struggle." These wacks created a morality play with themselves, falsely, as the "saviors of black America!&#8221;

4. Ann Coulter is used as the example of three above in all professional journalism schools, particularly at Columbia College.

:lmao: You just proved my point JS!

Not at all, TD. The evidence does not support you or Coulter.

Forum List

Back