Why do we have a memorial in Washington DC to a racist?

Lincoln didn’t believe blacks should have the same rights as whites.

Though Lincoln argued that the founding fathers’ phrase “All men are created equal” applied to blacks and whites alike, this did not mean he thought they should have the same social and political rights. His views became clear during an 1858 series of debates with his opponent in the Illinois race for U.S. Senate, Stephen Douglas, who had accused him of supporting “negro equality.” In their fourth debate, at Charleston, Illinois, on September 18, 1858, Lincoln made his position clear. “I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races,” he began, going on to say that he opposed blacks having the right to vote, to serve on juries, to hold office and to intermarry with whites. What he did believe was that, like all men, blacks had the right to improve their condition in society and to enjoy the fruits of their labor. In this way they were equal to white men, and for this reason slavery was inherently unjust.

5 Things You May Not Know About Lincoln Slavery and Emancipation History in the Headlines

6007bb926479e3cb7e3a1b36229bc797158bb0da0ec1bfe8fdc4e19b13118b67.jpg

There is an unwillingness on the part of our people, harsh as it may be, for you free colored people to remain with us."

What Lincoln saw ahead for relations between blacks and whites was foretold twenty years earlier by Alexis de Tocqueville:

"It is important to make an accurate distinction between slavery itself and its consequences. The immediate evils produced by slavery were very nearly the same in antiquity as they are among the moderns, but the consequences of these evils were different. The slave among the ancients belonged to the same race as his master, and was often the superior of the two in education and intelligence. Freedom was the only distinction between them; and when freedom was conferred, they were easily confounded together. The ancients, then, had a very simple means of ridding themselves of slavery and its consequences: that of enfranchisement; and they succeeded as soon as they adopted this measure generally. Not but that in ancient states the vestiges of servitude subsisted for some time after servitude itself was abolished. There is a natural prejudice that prompts men to despise whoever has been their inferior long after he has become their equal; and the real inequality that is produced by fortune or by law is always succeeded by an imaginary inequality that is implanted in the manners of the people. But among the ancients this secondary consequence of slavery had a natural limit; for the freedman bore so entire a resemblance to those born free that it soon became impossible to distinguish him from them.

"The greatest difficulty in antiquity was that of altering the law; among the moderns it is that of altering the customs, and as far as we are concerned, the real obstacles begin where those of the ancients left off. This arises from the circumstance that among the moderns the abstract and transient fact of slavery is fatally united with the physical and permanent fact of color. The tradition of slavery dishonors the race, and the peculiarity of the race perpetuates the tradition of slavery. No African has ever voluntarily emigrated to the shores of the New World, whence it follows that all the blacks who are now found there are either slaves or freedmen Thus the Negro transmits the eternal mark of his ignominy to all his descendants; and although the law may abolish slavery, God alone can obliterate the traces of its existence.

"The modern slave differs from his master not only in his condition but in his origin. You may set the Negro free, but you cannot make him otherwise than an alien to the European. Nor is this all we scarcely acknowledge the common features of humanity in this stranger whom slavery has brought among us. His physiog- nomy is to our eyes hideous, his understanding weak, his tastes low; and we are almost inclined to look upon him as a being intermediate between man and the brutes. The moderns, then, after they have abolished slavery, have three prejudices to contend against, which are less easy to attack and far less easy to conquer than the mere fact of servitude: the prejudice of the master, the prejudice of the race, and the prejudice of color."

Tocqueville Book I Chapter 18

Moon Bats are hell bent to wipe out racism so why aren't they working hard to get rid of the Lincoln Memorial? Is it because they are delusional, confused or simply don't know a damn thing about history?

Some of the things the racist said:

I have no purpose to introduce political and social equality between the white and black races. There is physical difference between the two which, in my judgment, will probably forever forbid their living together upon the footing of perfect equality, and inasmuch as it becomes a necessity that there must be a difference, I, as well as Judge Douglas, am in favor of the race to which I belong having the superior position.

Our republican system was meant for a homogeneous people. As long as blacks continue to live with the whites they constitute a threat to the national life. Family life may also collapse and the increase of mixed breed bastards may some day challenge the supremacy of the white man.

There is a natural disgust in the minds of nearly all white people to the idea of indiscriminate amalgamation of the white and black races ... A separation of the races is the only perfect preventive of amalgamation, but as an immediate separation is impossible, the next best thing is to keep them apart where they are not already together. If white and black people never get together in Kansas, they will never mix blood in Kansas ...

It's not Lincoln, but I bet you read on some whacko website that it was, cuz, well, Benghazi.

Enjoy your humble pie.

Our Republican system was meant for a homogeneous people. As long as blacks continue to live with the whites they constitute a threat to the national life. Family life may also collapse and the increase of mixed breed bastards may some day challenge the supremacy of the white man.

^most Republicans still feel that way.
Most black people would like to see ALL WHITE people DEAD.

Well, that was rube-like: stupid and completely uninformed.

Moon Bats are hell bent to wipe out racism so why aren't they working hard to get rid of the Lincoln Memorial? Is it because they are delusional, confused or simply don't know a damn thing about history?

I have no purpose to introduce political and social equality between the white and black races. There is physical difference between the two which, in my judgment, will probably forever forbid their living together upon the footing of perfect equality, and inasmuch as it becomes a necessity that there must be a difference, I, as well as Judge Douglas, am in favor of the race to which I belong having the superior position.

Our republican system was meant for a homogeneous people. As long as blacks continue to live with the whites they constitute a threat to the national life. Family life may also collapse and the increase of mixed breed bastards may some day challenge the supremacy of the white man.

There is a natural disgust in the minds of nearly all white people to the idea of indiscriminate amalgamation of the white and black races ... A separation of the races is the only perfect preventive of amalgamation, but as an immediate separation is impossible, the next best thing is to keep them apart where they are not already together. If white and black people never get together in Kansas, they will never mix blood in Kansas ...

Honestly, I think it's because they are pandering to mind-numbed fools who know nothing about history. Some people are only riled after being fed a huge dose of propaganda for things that happened recently. While the church shooting was horrible and the guy should fry for such violence, some of the recent incidents have been exaggerated and exploited for political purposes. Some liberal mouth pieces have gone out of their way lately to gin up anger and divide people. They won't bring up too much of the past because it means a history lesson is in order for it to be understood and they don't exactly have potential students. What they have, in large part, is a large group of people who are easily led to riot and make a lot of noise because they are easily convinced that they are under attack from whities. It has caused countless attacks on the whites by angry people who suddenly feel justified in committing violence against any white that crosses their path.

By condemning the Confederate flag as purely a sign of racism, they created millions of new targets in their political game. Never mind that the meaning of the flag, like many people, evolved and has nothing to do with racism now. Because so many rednecks own them, the left can now claim they are all hateful racists who need to be dealt with. It's all about creating victims and choosing villains to attack. It's what the left does best.

That doesn't look like Lincolns writing style at all, don't think this is his at all

Our Republican system was meant for a homogeneous people. As long as blacks continue to live with the whites they constitute a threat to the national life. Family life may also collapse and the increase of mixed breed bastards may some day challenge the supremacy of the white man.

Is that why DEMOCRATS started the KKK?

Excerpts from the Lincoln-Douglas Debates of 1858

Introduction by Professor Fitzgerald: In the fall of 1858, the two leading candidates for U.S. Senate for Illinois held a series of public debates. The incumbent Senator, Steven A. Douglas, was much the better known candidate, being a prominent national leader of his Democratic party. He was the author of the most divisive legislation in the nation's history, the Kansas-Nebraska Act which opened the western territories to slavery if the citizens of that territory wanted it. His opponent, former Congressman Abraham Lincoln, was much less prominent, but as a Republican was strongly opposed to the extension of slavery into the western territories.

Lincoln started his campaign for the Senate with a statement of what he thought was the crucial issue in his most dramatic statement, the House Divided Speech in Chicago in June 1858.

LINCOLN (quoting the Bible): "'A house divided against itself cannot stand.' I believe this government cannot endure permanently half slave and half free. I do not expect the Union to be dissolved -- I do not expect the house to fall -- but I do expect it will cease to be divided. Either the opponents of slavery will arrest the further spread of it, and place it where the public mind shall rest in the belief it is in the course of ultimate extinction; or its advocates will push it forward, till it shall become alike lawful in all the States, old as well as new -- North as well as South."

As for the famous debates themselves, Lincoln's actual racial views as expressed in the debate at Charleston, Illinois, might surprise many readers.

LINCOLN: "I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races--that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of Negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race."

DEBATES

That doesn't look like Lincolns writing style at all, don't think this is his at all

It is not from Lincoln. Flash Bulb lied out his ass.

I am totally shocked.

Yea but they don't ass memorial in DC.

Lincoln freed the slaves

Washington and Jefferson OWNED slaves

You are looking at the wrong memorial

Is that why DEMOCRATS started the KKK?
Democrats changed for the better. Republicans regressed.

Why do we have a memorial in Washington DC to a racist?

Thanks for the thread. Seeing a bigot flying the con flag, asking that question really drives home the GOP ideology.

I had no idea Lincoln was such a racist dude. Wonder what most black Americans would think if they read those quotes. :(

There are dozens of racist quotes by Lincoln but for some reason the winners of the Civil War seem to have left them out of the Jr High School History Text. I guess that just didn't fit into their narrative of the "Great Emancipator" even though he never really emancipated the slaves in the US. Only the ones in the "occupied territories and he even gave exception to that like in New Orleans.

It is amusing to see these Moon Bats get all bent out of shape about the Confederate flag being a symbol of racism but they have the big ass memorial in DC to a very avid racist.

Last edited:
Great article

Articles That Dirty Rotten Racist...Abraham Lincoln

That Dirty, Rotten Racist...Abraham Lincoln

I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races, [applause]-that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race.

To sum it up, Lincoln was an out-and-out racist. Actually, as the flagship mouthpiece of the liberal left put it, quite correctly, he "did share the racial prejudices of his time and place." But so did the Founding Fathers, didn't they? And if liberals view them as bigoted miscreants and want to put them on trial for the crime of racism, Lincoln definitely merits a prominent place in the dock. Otherwise, the accusers would be guilty of another grave sin in their own playbook: disparate treatment.

Read more: Articles That Dirty Rotten Racist...Abraham Lincoln

Great article

Articles That Dirty Rotten Racist...Abraham Lincoln

That Dirty, Rotten Racist...Abraham Lincoln

I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races, [applause]-that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race.

To sum it up, Lincoln was an out-and-out racist. Actually, as the flagship mouthpiece of the liberal left put it, quite correctly, he "did share the racial prejudices of his time and place." But so did the Founding Fathers, didn't they? And if liberals view them as bigoted miscreants and want to put them on trial for the crime of racism, Lincoln definitely merits a prominent place in the dock. Otherwise, the accusers would be guilty of another grave sin in their own playbook: disparate treatment.

Read more: Articles That Dirty Rotten Racist...Abraham Lincoln
Custer was a con hero too. A bigot that got what he deserved.

Lincoln freed the slaves

Lincoln tried to deport blacks after the war. He said he had no intention of making them equal to whites.

Lincoln freed the slaves

Lincoln tried to deport blacks after the war. He said he had no intention of making them equal to whites.

Lincoln never tried to deport blacks after the war

He was dead

On the average most of the country was racist then. How else could they justify allowing an entire race to be held as slaves in perpetuity.

Forum List

Back