Zone1 Why do White People Call Themselves Irish-Americans, Italian Americans, Polish-Americans, etc?

Not even close to what I said. But feel free to keep whitewashing the brutality of slavery.
No guilt-ridden white lib or ungrateful black guy shilling for reparations regrets slavery more than i do

Without slavery prior to 1865 there would be few if any black people in America today mucking up the works

The US would be far more harmonious and productive

It would be hysterical if you found African in your DNA.
Its possible

But the problem is not black skin, kinky hair, or other immutable characteristics that go with black DNA

Rather the weakness of blacks in America is lack of a positive culture that other races have and prosper by

So even with some black DNA I would be ok due to my white upbringing

i don't think these rugged individualists ( i'm sure many of them fantasize about some day calling trump "sir:" with a tear in their burly eye .......) find a sense of community to be as important as membership in, and a designated role in, 1 specific kind of dysfunctional nuclear family.
Fact.

IM2 raises a good point. Of course he raises it badly but if people want to be Italian, they need to get the fuck out and go to Italy. Either be American or don't. Their forefathers came here because America was a far better place than Ireland, Italy, Poland, etc. Just like the Venezuelans coming here today; if they want to be Venezuelan-American or Hispanic-American, if the places they are leaving are not shit-holes, then stay the fuck where they were. We want them to live in the best country in the world. If it's not America, then go to wherever it is.
It is raised just as properly as those who have created at least 3 threads asking why blacks call ourselves African American and have never questioned whites doing the same.

I am not a big fan of the hyphenated American things. And I am a dedicated American patriot.

But I am also of Irish descent. That culture is part of who I am. That does NOT make me less of an American.
If you're Irish-American then go back to Ireland. Your parents may have cooked whatever foods it is that Irish eat. And they sure as hell make good whiskey, but if you not fully American if you're part Irish. If Ireland was so great, why did your forefathers come here? Oh, wait... Let me guess.. Because Ireland sucked and America was/is great.

It is raised just as properly as those who have created at least 3 threads asking why blacks call ourselves African American and have never questioned whites doing the same.
I didn't see those. You're right. I dislike whites doing it far more than I dislike blacks doing it. White people became Americans by choice. Many blacks did also, but millions weren't given a choice.

My DNA shows I am English-Irish-Welsh-Swedish-Norwegian-Italian-Russian-German-American.

I was born in this nation so I will just call myself American.

In passing, my Irish ancestors are due reparations by my English ancestors. I wasn't alive at that time so I don’t deserve anything.

How does your DNA show that you're American? Are you American Indian?

International travel has been a thing for 10000 years. Companies are making millions, probably billions, by selling you a bill of goods. Those companies don't know if any of your ancestors were ever in any of those places except before they were those places. If you had ancestors who, at one time three thousand years ago lived in northern Europe but your family moved to eastern Europe 2500 years ago, they probably never considered themselves to be Norwegian. Those places you mention are nationalities. Your DNA doesn't show a thing about nationality; it shows geographical ancestry.

Imagine the heartbreak of a German mother, for instance, who raised her family as Germans because that's how she was raised as was her grandmother, her great-grandmother, and her great-great-grandmother, and so on for centuries. But then, in 2024, her son sends a company a spit sample and now her son decides he is French and then abandons everything she taught him. It's not that she hates or even dislikes the French, it's simply that now her son has abandoned their family heritage because of some company found something in the spit over the heritage found in his mother's love.

Your parents were American and, you're right; that's what you are.

my great grandfater came on a crowded boat from an overpopulsted 3rd world island with many fellow sicilians, who helped each other find work and intermarry and shared their last meat ball.

damn straight i'm marching with the italian-american club. we want to continue that kind of community (which does more to support family values than any "party of family vales" could.)
Your ancestors didn't want to be Italians or Sicilians. Just because they had a bond based on language and culture so associated with other Italians and Sicilians didn't change that they came to America because Sicily was a terrible place and America was not. If they had wanted to continue to be Sicilians, they would have stayed where they were. If you want to be Italian, you can get the hell out of America.

Another-one of your nonstop moronic posts.

Why shouldn't someone be proud of his heritage/ancestry? especially in a country, who's roots entirely derive of immigrants, aside from the indigenous population. And an Injuin is proud or able to state that he is of e.g. Comanche ancestry, just as well.
There are also a lot of Americans who either don't care about their ancestry or simply don't know - they simply refer to themselves as Americans.

The absolute majority of Negros has no idea as to where their Kunta Kinte came from. Obviously you got a problem with that.

And these "integrated Negros" from e.g. Sudan - will also refer to themselves as a Sudanese-German or an e.g. Ghanaian-German.
E.g. Gerald Asamoah - a Ghanaian German Negro.

Since in Germany no one really cares about, (aside from some lefty-greens), from which Negro tribe in Africa someone comes from - the political correct term African-German (Deutsch-Afrikaner) was introduced to replace Deutscher Neger. (German Negro). Factually and essentially the exact same.

View attachment 882234
If your ancestry was so great, why the hell didn't your family stay there? I'm sure you're quick to say that when Venezuelans come here and bring Venezuela with them, soon we'll be Venezuela. And that would be a true statement. And if Italians come here and bring Italy, we'll be partly that, too.

America is, and should be, the sum of the good parts of every nation in the world but it should not be any of those nations and no one in this nation should be hanging on to their old nationality even if they do hang on to their old recipes, religion, dress, etc. Culture and nationality are two different things. Lose the nationality; share the culture.

I was taught - and I believe - that calling America a "melting pot" is a negative description, implying that people lose their ethnic identities into a stew of mediocre American-ness. The better metaphor is to call America a "mosaic," where many ethnic cultures live side-by-side to create a beautiful whole. I am a lifetime Pittsburgh resident, and this city manifests a cornucopia of ethnicities, many of which can be identified by ethnic churches (built in ethnic neighborhoods) - almost all Catholic Churches - that were built by, for example, Polish immigrants, German immigrants, Italian immigrants, Russian and Greek immigrants ("Catholic Orthodox" churches), Slovak immigrants, Hungarian immigrants, and so on.

Although my own personal ethnicity is all over the lot, I was raised in the family homestead with my Grandmother who was Irish, and I was raised as an "Irish Catholic." We loved Irish food (which ain't too good, to be candid), Irish music and dancing, and over-consumption of alcohol on days ending with 'y'.

The whole cornucopia of faux ethnicities (almost no one was actually born in the country that they celebrate) allows almost everyone to believe that they are better then other people.

And it is clear that the African-American community lacked that option, being many generations removed from, and totally isolated from, their own ethnicities and all that included. Which is why we have the African American community constantly seeking to create an analogous ethnicity, with middling success - Kwanzaaaaa being a rather preposterous and insidious example of the phenomenon.
No, a mosaic means that each group keeps their group identity - as in their nationality. America should be a melting pot. It is the sum of the cultures, not a group of nationalities.

If you're Irish-American then go back to Ireland. Your parents may have cooked whatever foods it is that Irish eat. And they sure as hell make good whiskey, but if you not fully American if you're part Irish. If Ireland was so great, why did your forefathers come here? Oh, wait... Let me guess.. Because Ireland sucked and America was/is great.
probably becsause vicky was starving the irish to death. the bitch was worse than pol pot,

Did you know yer last name identifies your ethnicity? Not everyone but most.
That's absurd. One marriage outside of your geographical history, which tells you nothing at all about their ethnicity, and for generations to the end of time.

I know a lot of Black people named Davis, or Smith. What does that tell you about their ethnicity?

Most of them don't. I don't call myself a German American because I'm only half German. (The other half is Dutch, English, Irish and Cherokee). I don't know of a lot of third or fourth generation white ethnics who call themselves anything other than Americans.
Which half of you was born in Germany?

Your ancestors didn't want to be Italians or Sicilians. Just because they had a bond based on language and culture so associated with other Italians and Sicilians didn't change that they came to America because Sicily was a terrible place and America was not. If they had wanted to continue to be Sicilians, they would have stayed where they were. If you want to be Italian, you can get the hell out of America.
and i am not sicilian enough to be "made," we are quite thoroughly american , while retaining our roots.

How many white people in America are from these countries? Because any more, it seems like most of them are born here.

Then we have places like this.

The Irish American Heritage Museum is a 501(c)3 nonprofit created by the New York State Legislature in 1986 and permanently chartered by the Board of Regents of New York as an educational institution in 1992. We explore the contributions, history, and culture of Irish people in America, and fosters dialogue and exchange between America and Ireland today. By sharing our stories, we strive to create connections and community between all Americans, as we appreciate and study the universality of the immigrant story in American history.

View attachment 882194

SCANDINAVIAN–AMERICAN HALL OF FAME​

The Scandinavian-American Hall of Fame is an enduring means of honoring those persons of Scandinavian descent in North America who have achieved greatness in their fields of endeavor and/or whose efforts have contributed significantly to the betterment of mankind. Deserving individuals of other ethnicities may be honored with special awards as well.

Through honoring these outstanding individuals, it is hoped that others will be inspired to strive for meaningful accomplishments as well.

The Scandinavian-American Hall of Fame was established in Minot, N.D., in 1984 as a permanent component of Norsk Høsfest. Because Minot hosts North America’s largest Scandinavian festival, which strives to build pride in heritage; and because North Dakota is located in the center of the continent’s Scandinavian population, it is appropriate that Minot, N.D., be the permanent home of the Scandinavian-American Hall of Fame.

The National Polish-American Sports Hall of Fame (NPASHF) was founded in 1973 to honor and recognize outstanding American athletes, both amateur and professional, of Polish descent. This virtual version of the Hall features the history of their accomplishments.

View attachment 882195

I can keep going.
Does it bother you? If so, why?

How many white people in America are from these countries? Because any more, it seems like most of them are born here.

Then we have places like this.

The Irish American Heritage Museum is a 501(c)3 nonprofit created by the New York State Legislature in 1986 and permanently chartered by the Board of Regents of New York as an educational institution in 1992. We explore the contributions, history, and culture of Irish people in America, and fosters dialogue and exchange between America and Ireland today. By sharing our stories, we strive to create connections and community between all Americans, as we appreciate and study the universality of the immigrant story in American history.

View attachment 882194

SCANDINAVIAN–AMERICAN HALL OF FAME​

The Scandinavian-American Hall of Fame is an enduring means of honoring those persons of Scandinavian descent in North America who have achieved greatness in their fields of endeavor and/or whose efforts have contributed significantly to the betterment of mankind. Deserving individuals of other ethnicities may be honored with special awards as well.

Through honoring these outstanding individuals, it is hoped that others will be inspired to strive for meaningful accomplishments as well.

The Scandinavian-American Hall of Fame was established in Minot, N.D., in 1984 as a permanent component of Norsk Høsfest. Because Minot hosts North America’s largest Scandinavian festival, which strives to build pride in heritage; and because North Dakota is located in the center of the continent’s Scandinavian population, it is appropriate that Minot, N.D., be the permanent home of the Scandinavian-American Hall of Fame.

The National Polish-American Sports Hall of Fame (NPASHF) was founded in 1973 to honor and recognize outstanding American athletes, both amateur and professional, of Polish descent. This virtual version of the Hall features the history of their accomplishments.

View attachment 882195

I can keep going.
Why not?

Forum List

Back