Why Donald Trump is Right About Changing Anchor Baby Law Without Constitutional Amendment

No, JimBowie, you will be wrong everytime you post your silliness.

The laws are fine, and they will not change.

You like the idea of a foreign invasion of US soil, that makes you a traitor as well as a greedy liar.

Bobby Jindal gets it right perfectly.

“Let me say this about immigration — the left — they don’t like us to be the melting pot. America has proudly been the melting pot for years. What that means is that we tell folks, ‘If you want to come here, you should want to be an American if you come here,'” Jindal said to loud, enthusiastic applause.

“But now the left is telling us, ‘We can’t be the melting pot — that is culturally arrogant, that is xenophobic — we should be the salad bowl. We have a Divider-in-Chief who keeps trying to divide us. And I’m here to tell you something — I am done with the hyphenated Americans.”

“We’re not African-Americans, we’re not Asian-Americans, we’re not rich Americans, we’re not poor Americans, we’re all Americans, united as one,” a fired-up Bobby Jindal proclaimed to the crowd before saying that when immigrants come to America they should assimilate by learning English and our values and culture then “roll up your sleeves and get to work.”

Read more at Bobby Jindal: ‘Immigration Without Assimilation is Invasion;’ Slams Bush, Walker

Where the GOP 2016 Candidates Stand on Birthright Citizenship

Donald Trump: "This remains the biggest magnet for illegal immigration," he said in his immigration proposal.

Rand Paul: "This resolution makes clear that under the 14th Amendment a person born in the United States to illegal aliens does not automatically gain citizenship," he said in 2011 about a constitutional amendment he proposed with Sen. David Vitter.

Rick Santorum: "Other enticements to illegal immigration, such as birthright citizenship, should be ended… Of developed countries other than the United States, only Canada has birthright citizenship," he wrote back in May.

Ben Carson: "The 14th Amendment has been brought up recently about anchor babies, and it doesn't make any sense to me, that people can come in here and have a baby and that baby becomes an American citizen and allows them to come in," he said in Phoenix this week. "There are many countries in the world where they simply have recognized that and don't allow that to occur."

Lindsey Graham: "Birthright citizenship I think is a mistake," he said in 2010. "We should change our Constitution and say if you come here illegally and you have a child, that child's automatically not a citizen." (He added to Kasie Hunt on Monday: "I've been saying for a long time that I'm willing to change birthright citizenship after we fix the current broken immigration system.")

Chris Christie: "I think all this stuff needs to be reexamined in light of the current circumstances," he told Laura Ingraham this month. "[Birthright citizenship] may have made sense at some point in our history, but right now, we need to re-look at all that."

Bobby Jindal: "We need to end birthright citizenship for illegal immigrants," he tweeted.

So, Jake the Fake Delegate, every time you say there is no one that agrees with me on Birthright citizenship, you just make yourself out to be a liar over and over again.

Oh there are certainly right wing politicians rushing to pander to the far right on the issue.

I will believe that any of them are serious when they actually propose a Constitutional Amendment to end birthright citizenship.

Until then- its just pandering. Note your reference to Lindsey Graham- 2010- what has he done in the last 5 years to change what you don't like? Nada.

“We’re not African-Americans, we’re not Asian-Americans, we’re not rich Americans, we’re not poor Americans, we’re all Americans, united as one,” a fired-up Bobby Jindal proclaimed to the crowd before saying that when immigrants come to America they should assimilate by learning English and our values and culture then “roll up your sleeves and get to work.”.

I grew up with proud Italian Americans and Irish Americans.

Why does the right only object to cultural identification when it comes to African Americans and Asian Americans?
Because he is Italian American and Irish American.

JimBowie continues to parrot an opinion that is not shared in our legal system.

Too bad, so sad, been had, not glad, only silly opinion by Jim.
"Too bad, so sad, been had, not glad, only silly opinion by Jim."

That is total bullshit. not only have there been several people that have agreed with me on this message board but most of the GOP Presidential candidates agree that Birthright citizenship needs to end, even Lindsey Gramnesty, for fucks sake.

Graham Supports Ending Birthright Citizenship: 'It's A Bad Practice'

Jake I think just about everyone here realizes that you are in all likelihood a greedy little shit that exploits illegal black market labor, or works for some that do this, and so you are merely arguing to defend your pocketbook and not what is Constitutional or best for the people of the United States.
being wrong with company doesn't make you less wrong.

The Southern states ratified the 14th, Claudette, giving the required 2/3ds number. Many of them after ratification cast "sense of resolution" rejection votes that had no effect.

The 14th was and remains properly ratified.

Last edited:
According to this article the 14th was never a law because it wasn't ratified by a 2/3rds majority of States.

Its a law that was never a law.

http://www.constitution.org/14ll/no14th.htm

Another nice write up on it as well.

The Fourteenth Amendment and a “natural born citizen”

Well someone best tell the Supreme Court, the Executive Branch and Congress- they have been enforcing the 14th Amendment for over 100 years. Going to be a surprise to them when they find out it has never been a law.

According to this article the 14th was never a law because it wasn't ratified by a 2/3rds majority of States.

Well someone best tell the Supreme Court, the Executive Branch and Congress- they have been enforcing the 14th Amendment for over 100 years. Going to be a surprise to them when they find out it has never been a law.

Well look it up yourself and see if you have any questions about the legality.

Oh and I don't think it would be much of a surprise at all.

Oh I have heard the argument made many times.

And just like the Courts- I find the argument specious and moot.

If you believe that after 100 years the United States is going to suddenly decide that the 14th Amendment really isn't part of the Constitution, after enforcing it for over 100 years......well you will believe anything.

According to this there were loads of legalities about the whole process and loads of lawmakers don't think it was ever ratified and its a law that never was a law.

There is No "Fourteenth Amendment"!
by
David Lawrence
U.S. News & World Report
September 27, 1957

Yeah- well clearly that opinion has had tremendous influence in the last 58 years.

According to this there were loads of legalities about the whole process and loads of lawmakers don't think it was ever ratified and its a law that never was a law.

The amenmdent was ratified by the requisite 2/3d number of states.

The Southern states later rescinded their approvals only after the amendment was ratified.

It is the wailing of the unjust that you hear, Claudette

If you believe that after 100 years the United States is going to suddenly decide that the 14th Amendment really isn't part of the Constitution, after enforcing it for over 100 years......well you will believe anything.

Of course you do.

The 14th needs to be addressed and there were all kinds or irregularities with it one hundred years ago and those irregularities are still there.

Oh if you want to believe the Govt. has your best interests at heart then be my guest.

Of course you do.

The 14th needs to be addressed and there were all kinds or irregularities with it one hundred years ago and those irregularities are still there.

Oh if you want to believe the Govt. has your best interests at heart then be my guest.

The 14th Amendment has been addressed- and cited in dozens if not hundreds of legal cases since it was ratified.

And a good thing too- other wise we the citizens would have no protection at all from States acting unconstitutionally.

So if the 14th Amendment was declared null and void........consider the ramifications.

Who would be a United States citizen? Other than those naturalized by the United States- everyone else's citizenship would be open to question- every single person who thinks that they were born a United States citizen would have that citizenship at risk of the interpretation of .....well who knows?

Beyond the citizenship question- no more 'equal protection under the law' either.

No more protecting American citizens from State laws which might be considered unconstitutional- IF a state decides to ban gun ownership- there would be no mechanism for the Federal Government to protect the rights of citizens to own guns in that state.

No more would the citizen of a state be protected from any "State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;"

Is this what the opponents of the 14th Amendment really, really want?

Sorry. I don't buy it.

America got along quite well before the 14th Amendment came along. None of that stuff you talk about happened.

That amendment was put in there for the ex slaves and their kids. So they would be recognized as American citizens.

Its not needed anymore

Trump is wrong.

Thus the Fourteenth Amendment begins, “All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside.” This is the common-law doctrine of jus soli, and the meaning of the language is straightforward.

To the extent an alternative reading exists, restrictionists claim the “subject to the jurisdiction” clause creates ambiguity about the Amendment’s true meaning. Alien parents supposedly owe allegiance to a different sovereign, and therefore they are not subject to U.S. jurisdiction, and therefore their U.S.-born kids are not entitled to citizenship.

But “jurisdiction” defines the territory where the force of law applies and to whom—and this principle is well settled to include almost everyone within U.S. borders, regardless of their home country or the circumstances of their birth. It does not include foreign diplomats, who enjoy sovereign immunity, and foreign military invaders, who are supposed to obey the laws of war. By the circular restrictionist logic, illegal immigrants could not be prosecuted for committing crimes because they are not U.S. citizens.

Members of the 39th Congress forcefully debated birthright citizenship, with opponents arguing it would benefit the ethnic targets of the day—Indian tribes, Chinese laborers building the railroads, “gypsies.” They did not prevail. In 1898 the Supreme Court confirmed the Amendment’s original meaning in Wong Kim Ark, which recognized the citizenship of a San Francisco-born man of Chinese descent, and it reaffirmed this understanding as recently as 1982 in Plyler v. Doe.

Born in the U.S.A.

Being in the jurisdiction is only one requirement and in the ONLY birthright citizenship case the SCOTUS has ever ruled on, US v Wong Kim Ark, the SCOTUS stated that there are additional requirements other than being born in the US.

What the phrase "subject to the jurisdiction thereof" means exactly is what was addressed in Wong Kim Ark. The concluding section of that decision states:

"118 The evident intention, and the necessary effect, of the submission of this case to the decision of the court upon the facts agreed by the parties, were to present for determination the single question, stated at the beginning of this opinion, namely, whether a child born in the United States, of parents of Chinese descent, who, at the time of his birth, are subjects of the emperor of China, but have a permanent domicile and residence in the United States, and are there carrying on business, and are not employed in any diplomatic or official capacity under the emperor of China, becomes at the time of his birth a citizen of the United States. For the reasons above stated, this court is of opinion that the question must be answered in the affirmative."

http://openjurist.org/169/us/649/united-states-v-wong-kim-ark

But what is the meaning of "have a permanent domicile and residence in the United States"?

"Domicile is but the established, fixed, permanent, or ordinary dwelling-place or place of residence of a person, as distinguished from his temporary and transient, though actual, place of residence. It is his legal residence, as distinguished from his temporary place of abode; or his home, as distinguished from a place to which business or pleasure may temporarily call him.

Law Dictionary: What is DOMICILE? definition of DOMICILE (Black's Law Dictionary)

And SCOTUS also recognised in Wong Kim Ark that not all persons born in the United States are citizens immmediately and it gives a list of some of those cases in Section 93.

"93....The fourteenth amendment affirms the ancient and fundamental rule of citizenship by birth within the territory, in the allegiance and under the protection of the country, including all children here born of resident aliens, with the exceptions or qualifications (as old as the rule itself) of children of foreign sovereigns or their ministers, or born on foreign public ships, or of enemies within and during a hostile occupation of part of our territory, and with the single additional exception of children of members of the Indian tribes owing direct allegiance to their several tribes. The amendment, in clear words and in manifest intent, includes the children born within the territory of the United States of all other persons, of whatever race or color, domiciled within the United States. Every citizen or subject of another country, while domiciled here, is within the allegiance and the protection, and consequently subject to the jurisdiction, of the United States. His allegiance to the United States is direct and immediate, and, although but local and temporary, continuing only so long as he remains within our territory..."

But does "domiciled within the United States" mean to simply live here, legally or illegally (ignoring the legal definition of domiciled for a moment)?

That is addressed in Section 96:

"96 Chinese persons, born out of the United States, remaining subjects of the emperor of China, and not having become citizens of the United States, are entitled to the protection of and owe allegiance to the United States, so long as they are permitted by the United States to reside here; and are 'subject to the jurisdiction thereof,' in the same sense as all other aliens residing in the United States. Yick Wo v. Hopkins (1886) 118 U. S. 356, 6 Sup. Ct. 1064; Lau Ow Bew v. U. S. (1892) 144 U. S. 47, 61, 62, 12 Sup. Ct. 517; Fong Yue Ting v. U. S. (1893) 149 U. S. 698, 724, 13 Sup. Ct. 1016; Lem Moon Sing v. U. S. (1895) 158 U. S. 538, 547, 15 Sup. Ct. 967; Wong Wing v. U. S. (1896) 163 U. S. 228, 238, 16 Sup. Ct. 977."

Do you know what the word 'AND' means, Toro?

An alien is not considered to have legal domicile in the United States if they are not here with the permission of the United States and illegal aliens are not here with said permission and therefore their children born here are not subject to the birthright citizenship of the 14th Amendment.
You can post this nonsense you copied from some righ wing asshole as many times as you want and you are still wrong. As a matter of fact and law any person born on US soil, regardless, of the legality of his mother's presence on that soil, is a US citizen. It has always been this way and will continue to be this way. The 1000 or more babies born to illegal immigrants today are citizens. They will be able to get US passports and vote in US elections. Your repeated posting of this nonsense changes that not one bit.

You like the idea of a foreign invasion of US soil, that makes you a traitor as well as a greedy liar.

“Let me say this about immigration — the left — they don’t like us to be the melting pot. America has proudly been the melting pot for years. What that means is that we tell folks, ‘If you want to come here, you should want to be an American if you come here,'” Jindal said to loud, enthusiastic applause.

“But now the left is telling us, ‘We can’t be the melting pot — that is culturally arrogant, that is xenophobic — we should be the salad bowl. We have a Divider-in-Chief who keeps trying to divide us. And I’m here to tell you something — I am done with the hyphenated Americans.”

“We’re not African-Americans, we’re not Asian-Americans, we’re not rich Americans, we’re not poor Americans, we’re all Americans, united as one,” a fired-up Bobby Jindal proclaimed to the crowd before saying that when immigrants come to America they should assimilate by learning English and our values and culture then “roll up your sleeves and get to work.”

Read more at Bobby Jindal: ‘Immigration Without Assimilation is Invasion;’ Slams Bush, Walker

Donald Trump: "This remains the biggest magnet for illegal immigration," he said in his immigration proposal.

Rand Paul: "This resolution makes clear that under the 14th Amendment a person born in the United States to illegal aliens does not automatically gain citizenship," he said in 2011 about a constitutional amendment he proposed with Sen. David Vitter.

Rick Santorum: "Other enticements to illegal immigration, such as birthright citizenship, should be ended… Of developed countries other than the United States, only Canada has birthright citizenship," he wrote back in May.

Ben Carson: "The 14th Amendment has been brought up recently about anchor babies, and it doesn't make any sense to me, that people can come in here and have a baby and that baby becomes an American citizen and allows them to come in," he said in Phoenix this week. "There are many countries in the world where they simply have recognized that and don't allow that to occur."

Lindsey Graham: "Birthright citizenship I think is a mistake," he said in 2010. "We should change our Constitution and say if you come here illegally and you have a child, that child's automatically not a citizen." (He added to Kasie Hunt on Monday: "I've been saying for a long time that I'm willing to change birthright citizenship after we fix the current broken immigration system.")

Chris Christie: "I think all this stuff needs to be reexamined in light of the current circumstances," he told Laura Ingraham this month. "[Birthright citizenship] may have made sense at some point in our history, but right now, we need to re-look at all that."

Bobby Jindal: "We need to end birthright citizenship for illegal immigrants," he tweeted.

So, Jake the Fake Delegate, every time you say there is no one that agrees with me on Birthright citizenship, you just make yourself out to be a liar over and over again.

Oh there are certainly right wing politicians rushing to pander to the far right on the issue.

I will believe that any of them are serious when they actually propose a Constitutional Amendment to end birthright citizenship.

Until then- its just pandering. Note your reference to Lindsey Graham- 2010- what has he done in the last 5 years to change what you don't like? Nada.

No one needs a Constitutional amendment to end illegal alien birthright citizenship.

No one needs a Constitutional amendment to end illegal alien birthright citizenship.
And you are wrong again.

If you don't like the children of illegal aliens being born U.S. Citizens then your choice is either a Constitutional Amendment- or just bitching about how much you don't like it.

Forum List

Back