Why Obamacare is failing.

Cut the bullshit, the prime reason ACA market is sputtering right now is due to huge uncertainties.

How can carriers possibly plan to open new plans while nobody knows what will happen with the law and (market it creates) tomorrow

Holy shit that's a candidate for whopper lie of the year. Health insurance companies have been bailing out of Obamacare for a couple of years now you lying leftwit.

Why? Because they are losing money on Obamacare. Every health insurance company that has pulled out says the same thing, too many mooching sick people sign up vs too few healthy people = massive losses.

So stop lying libs stop lying out your big fat lying mouths and take responsibility for Obamacare, you own it now eat it.

I will repeat to you my simple question:

How can carriers possibly plan to open new plans while nobody knows what will happen with the law and (market it creates) tomorrow?

The answer is THEY CAN'T. DUH. And THAT is currently problem #1 with individual healthcare market.

You libs its like talking to a brick, too many sick people, too few healthy people = failure. You people live in a fantasy world.

LOL and I guess in your fantasy world sick people will just be left to die off.

Cut the bullshit, the prime reason ACA market is sputtering right now is due to huge uncertainties.

How can carriers possibly plan to open new plans while nobody knows what will happen with the law and (market it creates) tomorrow

Holy shit that's a candidate for whopper lie of the year. Health insurance companies have been bailing out of Obamacare for a couple of years now you lying leftwit.

Why? Because they are losing money on Obamacare. Every health insurance company that has pulled out says the same thing, too many mooching sick people sign up vs too few healthy people = massive losses.

So stop lying libs stop lying out your big fat lying mouths and take responsibility for Obamacare, you own it now eat it.

How can carriers possibly plan to open new plans while nobody knows what will happen with the law and (market it creates) tomorrow?

The answer is THEY CAN'T. DUH.

Meaning you know I am right about the direction the conversation took.
Now as to your question, said Carriers are PULLING out, they aren't interested in any "New Plans", they can't even cover the cost of the claims they are incurring, let alone their over head.

Lol and exactly how the fuck would you know what carriers would have done in absence of current huge market uncertainty Republicans are causing?

Son, they are pulling OUT of the market and the exchanges. They cannot make any money with it's current structure.
They were promised loss reimbursements through the "risk corridors", to date they have received less than 12% of the promised money. Some States now have only ONE Carrier participating. All of the major companies except Kaiser have pulled out of some States. BCBS, UHC/Golden Rule, Coventry/Aetna and recently Humana announced it is pulling out of Florida.

Obamacare was built on top of a financial plan that was pure fantasy. I think Dem's knew it would fail but banked on Dem control of at least one branch of government to force a government bail out. They already had the talking point ready, "is the GOP going to let 20 million Americans lose their health insurance".

Typical of Dem's first lock in the government hand out, then force the government to pay for it later. That's their favorite play for tax increases, lock in the spending, create a deficit, then force the tax increases with the "government must pay its bills" talking point.

Now as to your question, said Carriers are PULLING out, they aren't interested in any "New Plans", they can't even cover the cost of the claims they are incurring, let alone their over head.

Lol and exactly how the fuck would you know what carriers would have done in absence of current huge market uncertainty Republicans are causing?

Son, they are pulling OUT of the market and the exchanges. They cannot make any money with it's current structure.
They were promised loss reimbursements through the "risk corridors", to date they have received less than 12% of the promised money. Some States now have only ONE Carrier participating. All of the major companies except Kaiser have pulled out of some States. BCBS, UHC/Golden Rule, Coventry/Aetna and recently Humana announced it is pulling out of Florida.

Obamacare was built on top of a financial plan that was pure fantasy.

It wasn't fantasy. It was very real and functioning Romneycare that 2012 Republican nominee for presidency was very proud of...until he ran for said nomination of course.

They were promised loss reimbursements through the "risk corridors", to date they have received less than 12% of the promised money. S

BECAUSE REPUBLICANS FUCKED THEM OVER:

GOP seeks to block ObamaCare settlements with insurers

Just another example of punching holes while talking about a sinking shit.

Dem's failed to convince American citizens to buy into Obamacare, hence its sinking financially.

The answer is THEY CAN'T. DUH. And THAT is currently problem #1 with individual healthcare market.

You libs its like talking to a brick, too many sick people, too few healthy people = failure. You people live in a fantasy world.

Government hand outs for moochers finally we arrive.

They were promised loss reimbursements through the "risk corridors", to date they have received less than 12% of the promised money. S

Dem's failed to convince American citizens to buy into Obamacare, hence its sinking financially.

You are clearly clueless. Individual market covers only about 10% of Americans and this is what happened to uninsured rates when Obamacare was passed:

uabo9dtqxuaxnjodz1cvmw.png

You know what this graph says? Many millions of Americans getting covered and buying into ACA.

Good lord. The Republican's had nothing to do with the Risk Corridors. The money was supposed to be provided through Premiums and the Penalties collected for non-compliance of consumers. Your article is from last October, the losses have been accruing since 2013. The Gov never collected enough money to pay them.

Again bullshit

Conservatives have condemned the use of the judgment fund as an attempt to get around Congress, which passed legislation in a funding bill in 2014 to limit the administration’s ability to pay out money to insurers under the risk corridor program.

All they had to do was agree with Obama admin to cover the risk corridor re-imbursement promised by the ACA and insurance companies wouldn't be left holding the entire bag.

It's getting worse for you.
The "settlement" you are referring to is the Insurers seeking to get the money from prior years from a fund not associated with the law, their losses have been occurring since 2013. ANY legislation passed would have to be signed by whom?

The Insurers have received less than 12% of any promised funds SINCE 2013, it's first year.
Insurers have been steadily pulling out since 2014 because they cannot make any money at it.....and again, the GOV has designated what the plans are called, what they MUST cover and even how much they can us of collected premiums to cover their costs.

Sick...moochers..whatever - it's all the same to asshole cons.

No a problem though, Americans have rejected your assholism for a long while now and that isn't going to change.

You are clearly clueless. Individual market covers only about 10% of Americans and this is what happened to uninsured rates when Obamacare was passed:

You know what this graph says? Many millions of Americans getting covered and buying into ACA.

No, you know what it says? Millions are getting coverage by using Tax Payer dollars to purchase inferior coverages.

Good lord. The Republican's had nothing to do with the Risk Corridors. The money was supposed to be provided through Premiums and the Penalties collected for non-compliance of consumers. Your article is from last October, the losses have been accruing since 2013. The Gov never collected enough money to pay them.

Again bullshit

Conservatives have condemned the use of the judgment fund as an attempt to get around Congress, which passed legislation in a funding bill in 2014 to limit the administration’s ability to pay out money to insurers under the risk corridor program.

All they had to do was agree with Obama admin to cover the risk corridor re-imbursement promised by the ACA and insurance companies wouldn't be left holding the entire bag.

The "settlement" you are referring to is the Insurers seeking to get the money from prior years from a fund not associated with the law, their losses have been occurring since 2013. ANY legislation passed would have to be signed by whom?

The Insurers have received less than 12% of any promised funds SINCE 2013, it's first year.
Insurers have been steadily pulling out since 2014 because they cannot make any money at it.....and again, the GOV has designated what the plans are called, what they MUST cover and even how much they can us of collected premiums to cover their costs.

The loss claims are relatively speaking small game - less than 2 billion. This was an easy fix, so you can quit pushing your bs thesis about how they are the fatal flaw of the ACA.

It wasn't fantasy. It was very real and functioning Romneycare that 2012 Republican nominee for presidency was very proud of...until he ran for said nomination of course.

The ONLY plan that would have worked financially was government mandated single payer healthcare. That's the only model that would force enough healthy people to pay in to cover the costs of all the sick people and moochers. Obamacare was pure fantasy.

Obamacare's members included millions of moochers, a huge group of sick people, and a way too small group of healthy people footing the bills.

Again bullshit

The loss claims are relatively speaking small game - less than 2 billion. This was an easy fix.

Sure, that's why Carriers have been pulling out since 2014.
Aye Carumba. BCBS in one State alone lost 55 Billion the first year, it finally pulled out of the market this year. It was my highest selling Carrier.

Humana healthcare, a big insurance company that was one of those working through the Obamacare program to offer individual plans, is pulling out.

Humana Continues to Build Upon Proven Strategy Following Termination of Merger with Aetna; Provides 2017 Financial Guidance; Announces Capital Deployment Plans | Humana Healthcare

Regarding the company’s individual commercial medical coverage (Individual Commercial), substantially all of which is offered on-exchange through the federal Marketplaces, Humana has worked over the past several years to address market and programmatic challenges in order to keep coverage options available wherever it could offer a viable product. This has included pursuing business changes, such as modifying networks, restructuring product offerings, reducing the company’s geographic footprint and increasing premiums.

All of these actions were taken with the expectation that the company’s Individual Commercial business would stabilize to the point where the company could continue to participate in the program. However, based on its initial analysis of data associated with the company’s healthcare exchange membership following the 2017 open enrollment period, Humana is seeing further signs of an unbalanced risk pool. Therefore, the company has decided that it cannot continue to offer this coverage for 2018. Through the remainder of 2017, Humana remains committed to serving its current members across 11 states where it offers Individual Commercial products. And, as it has done in the past, Humana will work closely with its state partners as it navigates this process.

So another insurer is pulling out. The obvious question is why? Well it is once you get past the I told you so crowing of the anti Obamacare folks.

The reason why the individual market is failing is simple. Employers are required to provide the insurance to employees. Young healthy people were getting their insurance through their parents, or through their employers. Or they decided they didn't need it based upon cost. Those are the young healthy people who were supposed to float the order or more in need of care people in the original vision of the program.

Employer based plans are run based upon the health of the employees who are covered. The individual marketplace was never going to have enough young healthy people without insurance but with the money to afford the program. So Humana is following the example of others, leaving the marketplace to reduce the losses on the financial report.

Now some may sneer and say that Humana is just a greedy corporation. That is just nonsense. Every corporation has a need to meet expenses and a bit of profit. Just like all of us as a matter of fact.

At the end of they year you take a look back and examine your financial health. You look at the losses you endured and the gains. Some are rare like Hurricane loss or severe storm damage. Others are fixed like house payments and still others are flexible like electric and cable. You can use a little less electrical and reduce the bill is what flexible means.

You can probably absorb a little loss once in a while. You can't afford to absorb a loss every year. Nobody else can either.

If Humana lost money year after year they would go bankrupt just like you would. The ACA operated on a flawed premise. The idea that the young and healthy would pay in to support those who were less so. Perhaps they would pay a little, but paying big bills for something you don't use is counterintuitive. The bills were hundreds or even thousands every month.

This is why it was destined to fail. Obamacare was an effort to create a privatized National Health Service. Voluntary participation was always going to be problematic. So they came up with the fines/tax to incentivize people to join. The reality was the fine/tax was going to be cheaper than the plan.

This was the second failure. The idea that people would pay more to get something rather than pay less because they had nothing. If you were going to be fined $500 for not having insurance you would be willing to pay $1,000 and get insurance. It would only cost you $500 more after all.

As for me, I get my coverage through my employer. I got it through my employer when Bush was President too.

To accomplish the goals laid out socialized medicine was required. Some people viewed the ACA as a stepping stone to Socialized medicine. That was just stupid.

The analogy I used at the time was this. If a Mechanic screws up your car you aren't going to pay him to fix the car right this time. If a Surgeon amputates the wrong leg you aren't going to tell him to try again.

You are going with someone else, and that someone would not be Democrats.

Every year the costs are going up for the individual plans, and every year more of the young and healthy were bailing on the expensive and in their view unnecessary individual marketplace plans.

Obamacare was always doomed. I believe the Democrats always knew that too.
I believe one of the underlying causes of Obamacare's failure is that it more deeply entrenched employer-sponsored health insurance (ESHI). It is moving in the exact opposite direction we should be moving.

ESHI should be discouraged. It should be disincentivized. It should have its tax exemption taken away.

Instead, Obamacare forces ESHI on as many people as possible.

ESHI is a known upward driver of health care costs.

The employer mandate was the first tipoff that ObamaCare was a giant bait-and-switch con foisted on the American people. It was a huge boondoggle given to labor unions by Obama.

No, you know what it says? Millions are getting coverage by using Tax Payer dollars to purchase inferior coverages.

The ONLY plan that would have worked financially was government mandated single payer healthcare. .

Except that's just something you say while you wallow in your ignorance.

ACA has only one fundamental, urgent problem that Democrats currently cannot fix - Republicans.

Humana healthcare, a big insurance company that was one of those working through the Obamacare program to offer individual plans, is pulling out.

Humana Continues to Build Upon Proven Strategy Following Termination of Merger with Aetna; Provides 2017 Financial Guidance; Announces Capital Deployment Plans | Humana Healthcare

Regarding the company’s individual commercial medical coverage (Individual Commercial), substantially all of which is offered on-exchange through the federal Marketplaces, Humana has worked over the past several years to address market and programmatic challenges in order to keep coverage options available wherever it could offer a viable product. This has included pursuing business changes, such as modifying networks, restructuring product offerings, reducing the company’s geographic footprint and increasing premiums.

All of these actions were taken with the expectation that the company’s Individual Commercial business would stabilize to the point where the company could continue to participate in the program. However, based on its initial analysis of data associated with the company’s healthcare exchange membership following the 2017 open enrollment period, Humana is seeing further signs of an unbalanced risk pool. Therefore, the company has decided that it cannot continue to offer this coverage for 2018. Through the remainder of 2017, Humana remains committed to serving its current members across 11 states where it offers Individual Commercial products. And, as it has done in the past, Humana will work closely with its state partners as it navigates this process.

So another insurer is pulling out. The obvious question is why? Well it is once you get past the I told you so crowing of the anti Obamacare folks.

The reason why the individual market is failing is simple. Employers are required to provide the insurance to employees. Young healthy people were getting their insurance through their parents, or through their employers. Or they decided they didn't need it based upon cost. Those are the young healthy people who were supposed to float the order or more in need of care people in the original vision of the program.

Employer based plans are run based upon the health of the employees who are covered. The individual marketplace was never going to have enough young healthy people without insurance but with the money to afford the program. So Humana is following the example of others, leaving the marketplace to reduce the losses on the financial report.

Now some may sneer and say that Humana is just a greedy corporation. That is just nonsense. Every corporation has a need to meet expenses and a bit of profit. Just like all of us as a matter of fact.

At the end of they year you take a look back and examine your financial health. You look at the losses you endured and the gains. Some are rare like Hurricane loss or severe storm damage. Others are fixed like house payments and still others are flexible like electric and cable. You can use a little less electrical and reduce the bill is what flexible means.

You can probably absorb a little loss once in a while. You can't afford to absorb a loss every year. Nobody else can either.

If Humana lost money year after year they would go bankrupt just like you would. The ACA operated on a flawed premise. The idea that the young and healthy would pay in to support those who were less so. Perhaps they would pay a little, but paying big bills for something you don't use is counterintuitive. The bills were hundreds or even thousands every month.

This is why it was destined to fail. Obamacare was an effort to create a privatized National Health Service. Voluntary participation was always going to be problematic. So they came up with the fines/tax to incentivize people to join. The reality was the fine/tax was going to be cheaper than the plan.

This was the second failure. The idea that people would pay more to get something rather than pay less because they had nothing. If you were going to be fined $500 for not having insurance you would be willing to pay $1,000 and get insurance. It would only cost you $500 more after all.

As for me, I get my coverage through my employer. I got it through my employer when Bush was President too.

To accomplish the goals laid out socialized medicine was required. Some people viewed the ACA as a stepping stone to Socialized medicine. That was just stupid.

The analogy I used at the time was this. If a Mechanic screws up your car you aren't going to pay him to fix the car right this time. If a Surgeon amputates the wrong leg you aren't going to tell him to try again.

Every year the costs are going up for the individual plans, and every year more of the young and healthy were bailing on the expensive and in their view unnecessary individual marketplace plans.

I believe one of the underlying causes of Obamacare's failure is that it more deeply entrenched employer-sponsored health insurance (ESHI). It is moving in the exact opposite direction we should be moving.

ESHI should be discouraged. It should be disincentivized. It should have its tax exemption taken away.

The employer mandate was the first tipoff that ObamaCare was a giant bait-and-switch con foisted on the American people. It was a huge boondoggle given to labor unions by Obama.

The employer mandate and the 80/20 rule ensured that the market would collapse.

Sick...moochers..whatever - it's all the same to asshole cons.

No a problem though, Americans have rejected your assholism for a long while now and that isn't going to change.

:itsok: you live in denial, we control the White House, House, Senate, and SCOTUS yet you claim Americans have rejected us...:laugh:

The ONLY plan that would have worked financially was government mandated single payer healthcare. .

Except that's just something you say while you wallow in your ignorance.

ACA has only one fundamental, urgent problem that Democrats currently cannot fix - Republicans.

It's official, the kid is an uninformed true believer.

I don't know of any health insurance company whose margin was ever that wide.

Their margins are actually very narrow. Most of their profits come from investing.

Doc its not coverage, the annual deductible is so sky high that for most its like not having insurance. Unless you suffer some serious illness or injury you have to pay out of pocket for your healthcare plus pay the Obamacare premiums on top of that. A simple catastrophic healthcare plan and a healthcare savings account would have been far less expensive for most people. But Obamacare banned them because they needed to force those people to pay into Obamacare to fund the hand outs.

I don't know of any health insurance company whose margin was ever that wide.

Their margins are actually very narrow. Most of their profits come from investing.

Absolutely, but that can only prop them up for awhile, NO company can do business on a Macro Scale with a 20% margin. All part of the plan.

Forum List

Back