Will we ever be one country again?

I hope you are correct about the numbers, but I seriously doubt it.
Look at the election returns, then do a little adjusting.

Total vote: 137 million, out of 242 million total adults (let's say for argument's sake 10% ineligible to vote) = 62% turnout. 38% (at least) didn't vote.

Hillary got 48% of the total vote. 65 million.

No fewer than half of those votes came from people who vote democrat by habit or impulse. Let's be charitable and call it 1/2.

That leaves roughly (liberally) 35 million out of a total of 218 million that could have voted.

Now, how many out of that already small percentage are taking to the streets and making asses of themselves?

Yes, these rabble rousing malcontents are a very distinctly small minority.
Ironically some of those calling for protestors standing up against the abuse of rancher at Malheur to be shot are now the ones justifying these home grown terrorist activities.

The USA is one country with a government of checks and balances.

You and Correll and bear and murica can whine all you want, but your kind of country is not going to happen.
It already did and the people will take it back.

Ironically some of those calling for protestors standing up against the abuse of rancher at Malheur to be shot are now the ones justifying these home grown terrorist activities.
I don't find it ironic. These people are violent goons. When government doesn't perpetrate the violence they approve of, they take to the streets and commit the acts themselves.

The bad news for them is that the private citizens will eventually begin to fight back against these craven cowards in black masks.

You and Correll and bear and murica can whine all you want, but your kind of country is not going to happen.
No, it did not, as we see the courts putting the ban on hold and the congressional leaders saying NO to any attempt to legislate a ban.

When Pence and Mattis remove Trump, life will become more normal.

I am very concerned about the divisions within this country. The rioting, the looting, the destruction of public and private property, the corruption of our media, the indoctrination of our young people, the Nazi like tactics against those who disagree with you, the suppression of free speech.

Over the last 20 or so years, we have become divided by race, sex, age, income, ethnicity, religion, location, political party, et. al.

Does anyone see a way to unite this country? Would we be better off to split the country into two or three nations? Why is it more important for your party to win than your nation?

Watching this is very depressing and I am sure the founders are turning over in their graves over what has become of the USA.

Why must we hate those who worship differently, think differently, live differently? Why do those on the left believe that we must all believe what they believe? (same question for those on the right).

We are at a crossroads, what happens next?

Q. Will we ever be one country again

A. Not as long as you and others like you continue to hate and fear everyone whose ideas challenge your/their own.
I assume it's a frivilous hope that you're also including yourself in that statement. There's no way you could possibly be that introspective...........

There are no opinions, no ideology I hold that puts me in the class of the idiot fringe. I consider myself, and act accordingly, as a pragmatist, who supports equal rights for all and consider the words in the Preamble to the Constitution of the United States to be a vision statement for all of us, and a mission statement for those who seek the public trust.

I am socially liberal, fiscally responsible, that is contrasted with the fiscal conservative theory that debt is bad and allowing our infrastructure to crumble is good policy and liberty interests are good but only for those who act according to their value system. We all know that The Congress is owned by the special interests: we would have safe and sane gun control but for the money donated by the gun lobby, less costly medicine but for the pharmaceutical industry, better and more effective public transportation but for the fuel, auto, tire and battery lobby and that goes on and on.

This problem, which I see and you fail to, is not to point fingers only at one party, the Tea Party, aka [&lol) the Freedom Caucus, or the two major parties, it is systemic and has been made worse by the wrong headed decisions of the supreme court (5-4) essentially allowing an unlimited amount of money to be spent by anonymous entities to impact legislation.

No, it did not, as we see the courts putting the ban on hold and the congressional leaders saying NO to any attempt to legislate a ban.

Dream on.....

Dream on.....
Dream, Rodi, all you want.

Answer my question, Jake. Who was 'you' in the post I last quoted?

I am very concerned about the divisions within this country. The rioting, the looting, the destruction of public and private property, the corruption of our media, the indoctrination of our young people, the Nazi like tactics against those who disagree with you, the suppression of free speech.

Over the last 20 or so years, we have become divided by race, sex, age, income, ethnicity, religion, location, political party, et. al.

Does anyone see a way to unite this country? Would we be better off to split the country into two or three nations? Why is it more important for your party to win than your nation?

Watching this is very depressing and I am sure the founders are turning over in their graves over what has become of the USA.

Why must we hate those who worship differently, think differently, live differently? Why do those on the left believe that we must all believe what they believe? (same question for those on the right).

Those on the right and those on the left are approaching things very differently these days. Once each side passionately argued its point of view, then everybody voted, one or the other side won, and then everybody went to have a cup of coffee or a beer together.

But these days, allowing for a few exceptions, those on the right are mostly a live and let live group. They object and complain if they believe something is wrong and they still passionately argue their point of view. But as long as other stay out of their faces and are not physically harming others, they mostly allow others to hold a different point of view in peace and without retaliation.

Not so with way too many on the left who demand that everybody believe as they believe, think as they think, promote what they promote. Those who do not are subject to having their businesses or jobs viciously attacked, their advertisers, suppliers, etc. attacked, or anybody who supports them in any way attacked. They take to the streets and block traffic and access to businesses in the area, burn, destroy, vandalize, loot, commit assault and battery, and deny people ability to speak and deny other the ability to hear the speaker.

Until that kind of behavior becomes socially unacceptable again, there will continue to be more hate than love, more violence than reasonableness, more intolerance than tolerance.
I agree with a lot of what you say, but I'm not so sure the left is as bad as you are making them out to be. None I know, anyway. If everyone could stop stereotyping the "other" side, we could go back to having a beer together after the election. Where I live, we still do. This painting our opposition with a very dirty brush is happening on the right just as much as it is by the left. On this board, threads are started each hour promoting it some more.
Well, I just had someone on the right completely disregard my actual words and the idea behind them and make up shit about the Democrat's stance which had nothing whatever to do with what I said. It's frustrating talking to a robot. So I'm cranky about it.

No. Democats truly hate America and will do anything to destroy her in the name of "social justice."

Dream on.....
Dream, Rodi, all you want.
No need for me to dream about as it is already happening and if you would educate yourself you would know that the beasts which are inside the Ark dispose of those who are on the outside of the Ark attempting to break in.

A. Not as long as you and others like you continue to hate and fear everyone whose ideas challenge your/their own.

And your response is precisely the problem. Take a look in the mirror because you're just as responsible as they are. It always amazes me how you people can't see the same negative traits in your self that you accuse everyone else of.

Those on the right and those on the left are approaching things very differently these days. Once each side passionately argued its point of view, then everybody voted, one or the other side won, and then everybody went to have a cup of coffee or a beer together.

But these days, allowing for a few exceptions, those on the right are mostly a live and let live group. They object and complain if they believe something is wrong and they still passionately argue their point of view. But as long as other stay out of their faces and are not physically harming others, they mostly allow others to hold a different point of view in peace and without retaliation.

Not so with way too many on the left who demand that everybody believe as they believe, think as they think, promote what they promote. Those who do not are subject to having their businesses or jobs viciously attacked, their advertisers, suppliers, etc. attacked, or anybody who supports them in any way attacked. They take to the streets and block traffic and access to businesses in the area, burn, destroy, vandalize, loot, commit assault and battery, and deny people ability to speak and deny other the ability to hear the speaker.

Until that kind of behavior becomes socially unacceptable again, there will continue to be more hate than love, more violence than reasonableness, more intolerance than tolerance.
I agree with a lot of what you say, but I'm not so sure the left is as bad as you are making them out to be. None I know, anyway. If everyone could stop stereotyping the "other" side, we could go back to having a beer together after the election. Where I live, we still do. This painting our opposition with a very dirty brush is happening on the right just as much as it is by the left. On this board, threads are started each hour promoting it some more.
Well, I just had someone on the right completely disregard my actual words and the idea behind them and make up shit about the Democrat's stance which had nothing whatever to do with what I said. It's frustrating talking to a robot. So I'm cranky about it.

Trump wasn't the one smearing the people that supported his opponent as "deplorable".

That was the game of the LEft.

And your response is precisely the problem. Take a look in the mirror because you're just as responsible as they are. It always amazes me how you people can't see the same negative traits in your self that you accuse everyone else of.

Well said.
That's the general M.O. of Liberals

Good points, Taz.

We are one country, Trump et al are trying to twist it to their image, and the great majority is resisting.

Guess what will happen?

The media spins and distorts to make the left appear larger than they are, in reality they are a small but vocal minority. The media uses PC to silence opposition, they use the race card, the gender card, dare speak out and they pile on you like a pack of wild dogs.

But in Trump they met their match. The media hit Trump with everything and the kitchen sink and he just kept kicking their ass. He openly mocks and taunts them, and the people side with trump laughing at the media its hilarious.

Trump has laid waste to the media, its a whole new world.

Good will always win over bad. That's something I learned while growing up. :)

It's why Trump won.

You've been here way longer than I. Yet, I can easily recognize that he has not a singe shred of introspection, and projects his negative traits onto all with whom he disagrees. This leaves me wondering how many times he has been told these things, yet continues the behavior unabated?

I bet his posts would be a great lab experiment for college psych students. :laugh2:

I assume it's a frivilous hope that you're also including yourself in that statement. There's no way you could possibly be that introspective...........

There are no opinions, no ideology I hold that puts me in the class of the idiot fringe. I consider myself, and act accordingly, as a pragmatist, who supports equal rights for all and consider the words in the Preamble to the Constitution of the United States to be a vision statement for all of us, and a mission statement for those who seek the public trust.

I am socially liberal, fiscally responsible, that is contrasted with the fiscal conservative theory that debt is bad and allowing our infrastructure to crumble is good policy and liberty interests are good but only for those who act according to their value system. We all know that The Congress is owned by the special interests: we would have safe and sane gun control but for the money donated by the gun lobby, less costly medicine but for the pharmaceutical industry, better and more effective public transportation but for the fuel, auto, tire and battery lobby and that goes on and on.

This problem, which I see and you fail to, is not to point fingers only at one party, the Tea Party, aka [&lol) the Freedom Caucus, or the two major parties, it is systemic and has been made worse by the wrong headed decisions of the supreme court (5-4) essentially allowing an unlimited amount of money to be spent by anonymous entities to impact legislation.
Thank you for confirming my assessment. Your self justifications are duly noted. :thup:

Last edited:

I'm to the point where I think we should split up as a country: Liberals and like on one side--Republicans and like on the other, and each of us run our own side as we see fit.

The divide between the parties and people are widening every election. There is little middle ground if any. The Tea Party types are pulling the Republicans more right, and on the left, the US Communist Party supported the last three Democrats running for the presidency. Where is the middle ground between constitutionalism and Communism?

If it continues down this path, we will be at war with our own people in 20 years or so.

So who has the answer? Mom did. When my siblings and I fought, my mother would separate us into our own rooms. That stopped the fighting.

Forum List

Back