Will we ever have single payer health care in this country?

single payer healthcare??

• Total voters
As Democrats Talk Single Payer, Private Medicare Advantage Soars

Health insurers are reporting unprecedented growth in the number of seniors flocking to private Medicare Advantage plans amid talk of a single payer government-run approach that could uproot such coverage.

The same week U.S. Sen. Kamala Harris (D-California) made news with her support for “Medicare for All,” insurers Anthem and Cigna reported strong growth from Medicare Advantage, private coverage sold via contracts with the federal government.

Anthem’s Medicare Advantage enrollment jumped by 35% to more than 1 million at the end of 2018 compared to 746,000 in the fourth quarter of 2017, the operator of Blue Cross and Blue Shield plans reported last week. “Our individual Medicare Advantage business is on track to achieve our mid-double digit growth target,” Anthem CEO Gail Boudreaux told analysts during the company’s fourth quarter earnings call last week. “In total, we estimate our Medicare Advantage growth will exceed 20% by the end of 2019.”

Meanwhile, Cigna reported Friday that its Medicare Advantage enrollment was up one percent to 436,000 from 432,000 and UnitedHealth Group ended 2018 with 4.9 million Medicare Advantage enrollees, which was up nearly 12% from 4.4 million at the end of 2017. Other insurers including Aetna, which is now part of CVS Health, are expected to report higher Medicare Advantage enrollment later this month after these plans expanded into new markets.

The industry is tapping into a market of more than 10,000 baby boomers aging into the Medicare population every day . The insurers that have reported 2018 earnings thus far are reporting overall industry growth that’s slightly ahead of the projected record growth the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) predicted for Medicare Advantage last fall. “We completed a strong Medicare Advantage enrollment season . . . and are on track to achieve 2019 growth within the 400,000 to 450,000 range of expectations,” Steve Nelson, CEO of UnitedHealthcare, UnitedHealth’s insurance business told analysts two weeks ago.

The MA plans aren't growing because they are good, they aren't. They are growing because they don't cost much.

That is your opinion they fit the need of many people. Been on one myself 5 years, have saved $15,000 in premiums if I had chosen a supplement, most I have ever paid oop is $2500 in 2018 so I'm still to the good. It is up to the person what they choose and I explain both. I'm not on an HMO but rather PPO and yes I can use it as in network in 36 states if a doctor is in the Blue Card network in their respective state.

It boils down to personal choice and also area you're doing business. It's big biz in Florida.

medical insurance companies are not high profit corporations. Now, shall we discuss the profit rates of big pharma? Apple, google, FB?

Who pays the billions of dollars in research to develop new life saving, life-extending, and life-improving drugs.

What other nation has developed as many of those drugs has American companies and why?

I fully understand the profit motive and big pharma developing life saving drugs. I get it. But the length of the patents on new drugs allows them to make obscene amounts of profit (much in excess of development expenses) at the expense of sick americans. Israel claims to have found a drug that will eliminate cancer, all kinds of cancer. Do you think American big pharma will embrace that? of course not because it would eliminate the huge profits that they now make on cancer drugs that seldom work.

Trump's Part D proposal puts some seniors at risk

Howard Dean is not a source I'd listen to. There is a lot of hyperbole in there.

Had to go back to article lol yes Howard Dean is a fruitcake. I didn't see who wrote the article first time.

The MA plans aren't growing because they are good, they aren't. They are growing because they don't cost much.

Mass. ditches RomneyCare exchange
By KYLE CHENEY
05/05/2014 05:35 PM EDT

RomneyCare’s pioneering health insurance exchange is headed for the scrap heap.

Bay State officials are taking steps this week to junk central parts of their dysfunctional health insurance exchange — the model for President Barack Obama’s health care law — and merge with the federal enrollment site HealthCare.gov.

Health insurers are reporting unprecedented growth in the number of seniors flocking to private Medicare Advantage plans amid talk of a single payer government-run approach that could uproot such coverage.

The same week U.S. Sen. Kamala Harris (D-California) made news with her support for “Medicare for All,” insurers Anthem and Cigna reported strong growth from Medicare Advantage, private coverage sold via contracts with the federal government.

Anthem’s Medicare Advantage enrollment jumped by 35% to more than 1 million at the end of 2018 compared to 746,000 in the fourth quarter of 2017, the operator of Blue Cross and Blue Shield plans reported last week. “Our individual Medicare Advantage business is on track to achieve our mid-double digit growth target,” Anthem CEO Gail Boudreaux told analysts during the company’s fourth quarter earnings call last week. “In total, we estimate our Medicare Advantage growth will exceed 20% by the end of 2019.”

Meanwhile, Cigna reported Friday that its Medicare Advantage enrollment was up one percent to 436,000 from 432,000 and UnitedHealth Group ended 2018 with 4.9 million Medicare Advantage enrollees, which was up nearly 12% from 4.4 million at the end of 2017. Other insurers including Aetna, which is now part of CVS Health, are expected to report higher Medicare Advantage enrollment later this month after these plans expanded into new markets.

The industry is tapping into a market of more than 10,000 baby boomers aging into the Medicare population every day . The insurers that have reported 2018 earnings thus far are reporting overall industry growth that’s slightly ahead of the projected record growth the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) predicted for Medicare Advantage last fall. “We completed a strong Medicare Advantage enrollment season . . . and are on track to achieve 2019 growth within the 400,000 to 450,000 range of expectations,” Steve Nelson, CEO of UnitedHealthcare, UnitedHealth’s insurance business told analysts two weeks ago.

That is your opinion they fit the need of many people. Been on one myself 5 years, have saved $15,000 in premiums if I had chosen a supplement, most I have ever paid oop is $2500 in 2018 so I'm still to the good. It is up to the person what they choose and I explain both. I'm not on an HMO but rather PPO and yes I can use it as in network in 36 states if a doctor is in the Blue Card network in their respective state.

It boils down to personal choice and also area you're doing business. It's big biz in Florida.

AARP and UHC own Florida. Yes it is my opinion, and it's based on 15 years experience. Your experience with the Blues is not the experience of most folks with MA plans, I think you know that.

By KYLE CHENEY

Bay State officials are taking steps this week to junk central parts of their dysfunctional health insurance exchange — the model for President Barack Obama’s health care law — and merge with the federal enrollment site HealthCare.gov.
You appear to be trying to directly compare RomneyCare with MA plans.

Have you not yet realized that you're completely out of your depth here?

There are three people in this conversation who know more about this than you ever will. Talk radio does not cover this, because it doesn't want to. You might actually be able to "learn" something "new" here, although I'm not sure if that is allowed.

Ignorance and arrogance are not a good combination.

Last edited:

AARP and UHC own Florida. Yes it is my opinion, and it's based on 15 years experience. Your experience with the Blues is not the experience of most folks with MA plans, I think you know that.

It all depends on what part and county you live.

actually its both, good coverage and low cost.

Why would you do away with employer provided medical coverage? It is an employment benefit that millions of americans benefit from.

I don't, necessarily, want to do away with it. But we shouldn't be promoting it with taxes and regulations. If it's a good idea, it will succeed without the incentives and mandates. If it's not, it will fail. Personally, I'd rather have higher pay and buy my own insurance. I don't want my employer making those decisions for me.

which taxes and regulations subsidize employer provided healthcare insurance? What are the incentives and mandates that you rant about?

By KYLE CHENEY

There are three people in this conversation who know more about this than you ever will. Talk radio does not cover this, because it doesn't want to. You might actually be able to "learn" something "new" here, although I'm not sure if that is allowed.

Argument from authority doesn't make much sense here. You may be well-versed on the inner workings of insurance companies (I'm willing to take your word for it), but that doesn't mean you know much about public policy or health care in general. Your insight is valuable, but not authoritative. And not even necessarily complete or accurate.

Why would you do away with employer provided medical coverage? It is an employment benefit that millions of americans benefit from.

I don't, necessarily, want to do away with it. But we shouldn't be promoting it with taxes and regulations. If it's a good idea, it will succeed without the incentives and mandates. If it's not, it will fail. Personally, I'd rather have higher pay and buy my own insurance. I don't want my employer making those decisions for me.

which taxes and regulations subsidize employer provided healthcare insurance? What are the incentives and mandates that you rant about?

The tax-exempt status of employer provided health insurance. Any of a number of laws requiring employers, under various circumstances, to provide health insurance to their employees. You've never heard of these?

By KYLE CHENEY

Argument from authority doesn't make much sense here. You may be well-versed on the inner workings of insurance companies (I'm willing to take your word for it), but that doesn't mean you know much about public policy or health care in general. Your insight is valuable, but not authoritative. And not even necessarily complete or accurate.
Well, since I've worked for several years with one of the primary Medicare Supplement/Medicare Advantage providers in the country, (1) putting together plans piece by piece, benefit by benefit, cost by cost, (2) seeing how networks are put together, face to face, provider by provider, group by group, hospital by hospital, contract by contract, (3) working with those plans as they were priced county by county, capitation rate by capitation rate, (4) being in the room a few dozen times as one of my advisory clients sat through a full Medicare presentation by the insurance people to whom I refer business, (5) leveraging my training and experience to help people choose plans based on their particular situation as we plan ahead for their medical costs while in retirement, and (6) sitting and talking with many clients who provide their opinions on the strengths and weaknesses of the plans....

...I'd say I know one helluva lot more about this topic than people who are far more worried about belching out shallow, worthless, ignorant political rhetoric and hoping for political advantage than they are in "public policy", or "health care in general".

But I appreciate your attention.

Last edited:

The tax-exempt status of employer provided health insurance. Any of a number of laws requiring employers, under various circumstances, to provide health insurance to their employees. You've never heard of these?

of course, but what is bad about any of that? Those provisions help working people and help small businesses stay in business. If you eliminate those things, the economy suffers and the middle class is hurt the most. What do you find wrong with a provision that incentivizes employers to provide a benefit to their employees? Do you really think some huge government bureaucracy could do it better and cheaper?

By KYLE CHENEY

Well, since I've worked for several years with one of the primary Medicare Supplement/Medicare Advantage providers in the country, (1) putting together plans piece by piece, benefit by benefit, cost by cost, (2) seeing how networks are put together, face to face, provider by provider, group by group, contract by contract, (3) working with those plans as they were priced county by county, capitation rate by capitation rate, (4) being in the room a few dozen times as one of my advisory clients sat through a full Medicare presentation by the insurance people to whom I refer business, (5) leveraging my substantial training and experience to help people choose plans based on their particular situation, and (6) sitting and talking with many clients who provide their opinions on the strengths and weaknesses of the plans....

...I'd say I know one helluva lot more about this topic than people who are far more worried about shallow, worthless, ignorant political rhetoric and political advantage than they are in "public policy", or "health care in general".

the libs here exist on talking points and avoid facts at all cost. it never ceases to amaze.

By KYLE CHENEY

Well, since I've worked for several years with one of the primary Medicare Supplement/Medicare Advantage providers in the country, (1) putting together plans piece by piece, benefit by benefit, cost by cost, (2) seeing how networks are put together, face to face, provider by provider, group by group, contract by contract, (3) working with those plans as they were priced county by county, capitation rate by capitation rate, (4) being in the room a few dozen times as one of my advisory clients sat through a full Medicare presentation by the insurance people to whom I refer business, (5) leveraging my substantial training and experience to help people choose plans based on their particular situation, and (6) sitting and talking with many clients who provide their opinions on the strengths and weaknesses of the plans....

...I'd say I know one helluva lot more about this topic than people who are far more worried about shallow, worthless, ignorant political rhetoric and political advantage than they are in "public policy", or "health care in general".

the libs here exist on talking points and avoid facts at all cost. it never ceases to amaze.
Y'know, I'm not seen in the automotive forum telling mechanics how to rebuild transmissions, because I don't know shit about rebuilding transmissions. Nor am I seen in the gardening forum telling people the best ways to plant petunias, because I don't know shit about planting petunias.

This is terribly important stuff, and the conversation is being controlled by people who don't know shit about this topic, other than what their tribe tells them to believe. That's a little scary.

I think the very next time the dems the presidency and both chambers of Congress we’re headed for single payer healthcare.

It will happen if Trump wins a second term. He has always favored single payer.

And when it is his idea all of his sheep will say it is the best idea ever

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com
I have often said that Trump is the only one capable of getting single payer passed at this time.....most trump supporters are for it anyway, if they can guarantee it is a benefit that only they get and not those other "yucky people"

I think the very next time the dems the presidency and both chambers of Congress we’re headed for single payer healthcare.

I have often said that Trump is the only one capable of getting single payer passed at this time.....most trump supporters are for it anyway, if they can guarantee it is a benefit that only they get and not those other "yucky people"

nothing in your post is true, not a word

I am not responsible for your ignorance.

Why the alt-right loves single-payer health care

This is basically what it boils down to: "welfare chauvinism” , a promise to protect and expand social programs for (white) native workers against migrants who might exploit them and drain money that should be going to noble citizens." -- sound familiar?

Hypothetically, with a fifteen dollar an hour minimum wage and unemployment compensation for simply being unemployed, market participation could be increased through normal and existing market operations.

Easy and Convenient; it is the Capital way.

Last edited:

I am not responsible for your ignorance.

Why the alt-right loves single-payer health care

This is basically what it boils down to: "welfare chauvinism” , a promise to protect and expand social programs for (white) native workers against migrants who might exploit them and drain money that should be going to noble citizens." -- sound familiar?

LOL, an opinion piece on a Left wing site used to "prove" the Rights racism.

of course, but what is bad about any of that? Those provisions help working people and help small businesses stay in business.
It's bad because it props up solutions that aren't actually viable or desirable. It distorts the market and creates exactly the problems we're trying to solve.

What do you find wrong with a provision that incentivizes employers to provide a benefit to their employees?
It's not the job of government to manipulate people like that. If it's a good idea, we don't need the incentives. If it's a bad idea, we don't want it period.
Do you really think some huge government bureaucracy could do it better and cheaper?
No. Where did you get that idea?

Forum List

Back