🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Wind becomes No 2 power source in US, beating coal and nuclear

For the record ... fossil fuels were DOA from the beginning where I live ... the transportation usage came later ... and once BPA was up and running, coal and natural gas became too expensive ... still is ... so why should we burn gasoline when electric cars are all but un-metered ... you sound like a Republican, bitching about your own rights while taking away my rights ...

Nat gas is not too expensive outside of BPA and even up there -- you NEED nat gas plants to stabilize the grid against wind/solar because modulating a "super-dam" output is WAY too slow to respond.

No idea what you mean by EVs "are all but un-metered"? Adds two days to your weekly household energy consumption to charge ONE for MODERATE use. More if more people commute. That's SIGNIFICANT load increase to the Grid. A LOT MORE if you're stupid enough to try and convert HEAVY vehicles like trucks 18 wheelers, large delivery vans.

You still haven't explained why batteries can't be recycled ...

Of course I did -- I summarized the research I've done to write a "position paper" on the subject. You'll need to come up to speed yourself.

From an engineering POV, there's too much packaging from the multiple layers of PACKAGING on high density, well producted battery plants. In an EV -- you have to work thru THREE LAYERS of packaging to get to the very FEW OUNCES of useful material to BE recycled. For larger Grid Scale storage battery recycling -- it's even worse. It''s not like scavenging a lead acid battery or even electronic device power packs.

It will NEVER be profitable until the days we run short of lithium, cobalt, etc. And it will always be a money LOSING, EXTREMELY dirty and dangerous, NON-SUSTAINABLE enviro disaster if you literally accept the plans of the mental midgets who are INTENT on killing off ALL the current grid power sources and replacing all that PLUS THE EXTRA CAPACITY from the transport sector with just wind and solar.

Batteries can be recycled through smelting, direct recovery, and other, newer processes. A smelting process is used to recover many minerals (e.g. lithium, cobalt, nickel) contained in the battery. After a battery is smelted, the lithium ends up as a mixed byproduct and extracting it is costly. While the cost of fully recycling a lithium-ion battery is about €1 per kilogram, the value of the raw minerals reclaimed from the process is only about a third of that.Another way to look at the cost of extraction of lithium from old batteries is that it is 5 times more expensive than mined lithium.

One of the premier EV battery recycling companies is Li-Cycle, a Canada-based company that uses advanced recycling technologies that can recover up to 100 percent of lithium from lithium-ion batteries. In the United States, California-based Redwood Materials and Retriev Technologies also recycle materials from old batteries. OnTo Technology, based in Oregon, is also pioneering advanced battery recycling processes.

As these advanced technology processes continue to develop, reusing batteries offers another route to their disposal and productivity. Many electric vehicle batteries which are ‘spent’ still have up to 70 percent of their capacity left– more than enough for other uses. After used electric vehicle batteries have been broken down, tested, and re-packaged, they can be used for things like home energy storage.

Manufacturers like Nissan and Renault are using old batteries to provide new services. In Japan, Nissan repurposed batteries to power streetlights. Renault has batteries backing up elevators in Paris. And GM is backing up its data center in Michigan with used Chevy Volt batteries. Old batteries can also be useful for storing solar energy and backing up traditional electrical grids. In addition, private companies like the UK-based Powervault and Australia-based Aceleron have created technologies that can turn batteries into home electricity storage units, electric bike batteries, and other tools.

================================

The problem with repurposing is that once a battery approaches something like 70% of capacity -- it's "after-life" for repurposing FADES AWAY very quickly - maybe 1/3 as long as the time it took to degrade to 70%.. So you have the money and enviro costs of rebuilding "after life"battery packs, multiple transportation costs and THEN the final TOXIC WASTE disposal costs. It's a Rube Goldberg kind of maze solution to FORCE wind/solar to be the PRIMARY grid generators for both CURRENT DEMAND LOAD and the increased FUTURE demand that includes a 33% (or more) kind of overall INCREASE in grid generation to support VEHICLES from where we are NOW !!!!

Nat gas is not too expensive outside of BPA and even up there -- you NEED nat gas plants to stabilize the grid against wind/solar because modulating a "super-dam" output is WAY too slow to respond.

No idea what you mean by EVs "are all but un-metered"? Adds two days to your weekly household energy consumption to charge ONE for MODERATE use. More if more people commute. That's SIGNIFICANT load increase to the Grid. A LOT MORE if you're stupid enough to try and convert HEAVY vehicles like trucks 18 wheelers, large delivery vans.

Of course I did -- I summarized the research I've done to write a "position paper" on the subject. You'll need to come up to speed yourself.

From an engineering POV, there's too much packaging from the multiple layers of PACKAGING on high density, well producted battery plants. In an EV -- you have to work thru THREE LAYERS of packaging to get to the very FEW OUNCES of useful material to BE recycled. For larger Grid Scale storage battery recycling -- it's even worse. It''s not like scavenging a lead acid battery or even electronic device power packs.

It will NEVER be profitable until the days we run short of lithium, cobalt, etc. And it will always be a money LOSING, EXTREMELY dirty and dangerous, NON-SUSTAINABLE enviro disaster if you literally accept the plans of the mental midgets who are INTENT on killing off ALL the current grid power sources and replacing all that PLUS THE EXTRA CAPACITY from the transport sector with just wind and solar.

Batteries can be recycled through smelting, direct recovery, and other, newer processes. A smelting process is used to recover many minerals (e.g. lithium, cobalt, nickel) contained in the battery. After a battery is smelted, the lithium ends up as a mixed byproduct and extracting it is costly. While the cost of fully recycling a lithium-ion battery is about €1 per kilogram, the value of the raw minerals reclaimed from the process is only about a third of that.Another way to look at the cost of extraction of lithium from old batteries is that it is 5 times more expensive than mined lithium.

One of the premier EV battery recycling companies is Li-Cycle, a Canada-based company that uses advanced recycling technologies that can recover up to 100 percent of lithium from lithium-ion batteries. In the United States, California-based Redwood Materials and Retriev Technologies also recycle materials from old batteries. OnTo Technology, based in Oregon, is also pioneering advanced battery recycling processes.

As these advanced technology processes continue to develop, reusing batteries offers another route to their disposal and productivity. Many electric vehicle batteries which are ‘spent’ still have up to 70 percent of their capacity left– more than enough for other uses. After used electric vehicle batteries have been broken down, tested, and re-packaged, they can be used for things like home energy storage.

Manufacturers like Nissan and Renault are using old batteries to provide new services. In Japan, Nissan repurposed batteries to power streetlights. Renault has batteries backing up elevators in Paris. And GM is backing up its data center in Michigan with used Chevy Volt batteries. Old batteries can also be useful for storing solar energy and backing up traditional electrical grids. In addition, private companies like the UK-based Powervault and Australia-based Aceleron have created technologies that can turn batteries into home electricity storage units, electric bike batteries, and other tools.

================================

The problem with repurposing is that once a battery approaches something like 70% of capacity -- it's "after-life" for repurposing FADES AWAY very quickly - maybe 1/3 as long as the time it took to degrade to 70%.. So you have the money and enviro costs of rebuilding "after life"battery packs, multiple transportation costs and THEN the final TOXIC WASTE disposal costs. It's a Rube Goldberg kind of maze solution to FORCE wind/solar to be the PRIMARY grid generators for both CURRENT DEMAND LOAD and the increased FUTURE demand that includes a 33% (or more) kind of overall INCREASE in grid generation to support VEHICLES from where we are NOW !!!!

If we take 90% of the passenger cars off the roads, why does this matter? ...

I just put up data showing why wind is an expensive fad and will never be "an alternative" to current Grid generators. Here's a test -- How many wind turbines does it take to power a single supermarket? NONE - because they'd have to take out the refrigerators and freezers to avoid rotting food.

The OPost had a POINT? That for 8 hours of entire year -- wind was the SECOND largest contributor on the grid? Explain the "significance" of this to me. Especially since in the FOLLOWING DAYS it contributed largely NOTHING.
Wind capacity continues to increase. Perhaps you can explain why the rest of the world doesn't seem to have accepted your technical expertise and flawless reasoning on this topic.

Well heck -- You're right. What made that fly over my head - was the 30,000KW average RESULT that MIGHT be right for what 1 oz of fuel rod would produce INSTANTEOUSLY. So I flew right over it.
Sure... sure... I'm sure that was it.

You and whose army is gonna do that? Are you high?

What? ... which army will matter? ... I'm not high, you're the one who seems confused ... tragically you seem unaware that gasoline prices have been inflating at around twice overall inflation ... consistent with cheap oil running out ...

Too lazy to bike to work? ...

What? ... which army will matter? ... I'm not high, you're the one who seems confused ... tragically you seem unaware that gasoline prices have been inflating at around twice overall inflation ... consistent with cheap oil running out ...

Too lazy to bike to work? ...

No it is currently expensive because governments disrupted the markets along with dumb energy policies.

There is a lot of oil reserves currently known.

Wind capacity continues to increase. Perhaps you can explain why the rest of the world doesn't seem to have accepted your technical expertise and flawless reasoning on this topic.

At a snail's pace...rate of increase btw a bogus stat. Not measured against anything except itself....which doesn't matter. :bye1:

Wind still only providing <5% of grid power.:abgg2q.jpg:

So says the EIA.gov website.

Unicorn chasing is ghey

It's in the link that you provided. Do you not read your own links? That seems kind of dumb.
While there have been days in the past when wind generation separately outpaced coal and nuclear generation, the 29th marked the first day that it surpassed both power sources.

The headline is not a lie. Wind surpassed nuclear by less than half a percent. Or did you think one percent was the absolute limit of precision?

Wind will never be a viable method for base loading without a significant amount of over capacity and battery backup storage.

While there have been days in the past when wind generation separately outpaced coal and nuclear generation, the 29th marked the first day that it surpassed both power sources.

The headline is not a lie. Wind surpassed nuclear by less than half a percent. Or did you think one percent was the absolute limit of precision?

Lol....like a 70 year old guy taking bows because he achieved a 10% stiff gorgan.

:hello77:

Btw....curious board member need only to check the US EIA.gov website to view the sobering reality.

Wind/Solar combined provide the US with 7% of grid electricity. :abgg2q.jpg:

But don't take my word for it....

Annual Energy Outlook - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

The OP, like all progressives are social oddballs. Very cavalier about being pwn'd in any public forum. :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

Thanks for the link.

Wind/Solar combined provide the US with 7% of grid electricity.
1652189482199.png

It looks like wind and solar combined are 13%.

What's your point Todd? Do you think wind and solar aren't growing? How is it you're not impressed with an energy source that burns zero fuel? Even if global warming wasn't an issue, free energy is the stuff of utopian dreams. Why cling to your reeking oil and gas?

What's your point Todd? Do you think wind and solar aren't growing? How is it you're not impressed with an energy source that burns zero fuel? Even if global warming wasn't an issue, free energy is the stuff of utopian dreams. Why cling to your reeking oil and gas?

What's your point Todd?

He said 7%. His source said 13%.

Do you think wind and solar aren't growing?

They sure are. Gotta grab those subsidies and meet those stupid fucking mandates.

How is it you're not impressed with an energy source that burns zero fuel?

Not impressed? How could I not be impressed with more expensive, less reliable energy?

Even if global warming wasn't an issue, free energy is the stuff of utopian dreams.

You could hook up a bike generator and produce all the free energy your house needs.
What are you waiting for?

What's your point Todd?

He said 7%. His source said 13%.

Do you think wind and solar aren't growing?

They sure are. Gotta grab those subsidies and meet those stupid fucking mandates.

How is it you're not impressed with an energy source that burns zero fuel?

Not impressed? How could I not be impressed with more expensive, less reliable energy?

Even if global warming wasn't an issue, free energy is the stuff of utopian dreams.

You could hook up a bike generator and produce all the free energy your house needs.
What are you waiting for?
You can grab the bike Todd. I'm not a young man. I'll just put solar panels on my roof and a big ass battery in my garage and then sit back during the next outage and enjoy my normal life.

You can grab the bike Todd. I'm not a young man. I'll just put solar panels on my roof and a big ass battery in my garage and then sit back during the next outage and enjoy my normal life.

You can grab the bike Todd. I'm not a young man.

But it's burning zero fuel.......

I'll just put solar panels on my roof and a big ass battery in my garage and then sit back during the next outage and enjoy my normal life.

Doesn't sound like free energy.

Forum List

Back