🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Wind becomes No 2 power source in US, beating coal and nuclear

I know enough to know that people designing this stuff had to be aware of the impact on birds when they designed them. Where are all of the EPA ecological impact studies being done when the approval is being given out to place these things at a given location? A few years back, replacing a tiny little bridge near me (30-40 feet?) was delayed a year, incredibly long, because there was some stupid little shellfish something or other living in the crick that was supposedly rare, so they had to relocate all of it to some other location first, meantime, people had to drive miles around to get to the other side.

These wind machines should either have some sort of thing either painted on them or which makes some kind of sound birds hear that would either alert birds or drive them away--- that, or a big wire cage over them the wind can blow through but which keeps birds from flying into the fans.

Ecology nuts all worried about the climate are tripping over their own feet can't build these things fast enough to save the planet that they are killing all the birds.

Again, cats kill ten times as many birds as windmills.

Maybe this is natural selection... The dumb birds are too stupid to avoid windmills...

How many large raptors do feral cats kill?

Hint: None.

Few large raptors are being killed by windmills. Far more are being killed by overdevelopment of their habitat.

New reactor technologies generate waste that's only dangerous for 600 years -- and they can burn the existing nuclear waste.

Your objections are unfounded.

Wow... only 600 years? I guess that would be awesome if you live to be 601..

600 years ago, Columbus hadn't even travelled to America yet.

but if true, where is all this wind coming from?
1650192469647.png

~S~

You do realize that far more birds are killed by cats than windfarms, right?

When it comes to bird deaths, cats are unrivaled as the leading cause. Whereas wind turbines only kill about 234,000 birds every year in the United States, felines kill 2.4 billion, according to the US Fish and Wildlife Service. As of 2017, cats killed more birds than all other human-related causes combined.

Feral, or "un-owned," cats are largely responsible for this high number, because they spend much of their time outside and hunting for food, according to a 2013 Nature study. Pet cats with access to the outdoors, the research found, killed nearly 684 million birds annually as of the study's publication, a substantial percentage of the total

You also spend a lot of time whining about "Eagles", but we are talking about Golden Eagles, which aren't even an endangered species.
The trouble with dealing with "truth is optional" Democrats is that false narratives can skew a study. And if the "study" gets a Democrat extracted-from-2,000-page-Democrat-laws who base laws on pet rock projects from time to time, the "scientific knowledge" is pleased to help when their $400,000 a year incomes replace their $40,000 ones.

How stupid do you really think conservatives are, my pointy-headed adversary? :rolleyes-41: Remember, it was some bragging by loud mouthed lime Demmie politicians that alerted us to the realities of ballot stuffing. Must be nice collecting something for nothing but a little truth-being-optional conveniences of the Congressional mob who extracts money from the middle class less than a day to grandstanding they're "for the little guy." Excuse me while I go throw up.

Please explain how wind power output can be increased when the wind isn't blowing. Germany finally realized that problem and switched back to fossil fuels, but you are still spouting "green energy" propaganda. By the way, why are you so fearful of nuclear power? The US Navy has been relying on it for over 50 years.
A testament to someone's failure to read. I support nuclear power, I always have. And I never said wind power can be increased beyond what the winds themselves will provide, but it can certainly be cut back and turbines can be idled when demand falls.

The trouble with dealing with "truth is optional" Democrats is that false narratives can skew a study. And if the "study" gets a Democrat extracted-from-2,000-page-Democrat-laws who base laws on pet rock projects from time to time, the "scientific knowledge" is pleased to help when their $400,000 a year incomes replace their $40,000 ones.

How stupid do you really think conservatives are, my pointy-headed adversary? :rolleyes-41: Remember, it was some bragging by loud mouthed lime Demmie politicians that alerted us to the realities of ballot stuffing. Must be nice collecting something for nothing but a little truth-being-optional conveniences of the Congressional mob who extracts money from the middle class less than a day to grandstanding they're "for the little guy." Excuse me while I go throw up.

Um, what does that have to do with anything I posted?

You guys are whining about the very few birds that die in encounters with windmills.

about 230,000 birds die from flying into windmills.

The total bird population of the US is 7.2 BILLION birds of all species. That is actually DOWN from 10 Billion in 1970, but most of that loss is due to habitat destruction, not windmills.

Experts say habitat loss was the No. 1 reason for bird loss. A 2015 study said cats kill 2.6 billion birds each year in the United States and Canada, while window collisions kill another 624 million and cars another 214 million.

That’s why people can do their part by keeping cats indoors, treating their home windows to reduce the likelihood that birds will crash into them, stopping pesticide and insecticide use at home and buying coffee grown on farms with forest-like habitat, said Sara Hallager, bird curator at the Smithsonian Institution.

Kinda sounds like you didn't read the article, or know what my question means.
Kinda sounds like you didn't read the article, or know what my question means.
I did read the article before I posted anything and your question is pure rhetoric based on a rejection of the facts.

WtF are you babbling about? Please try to stay on topic.

Um, what does that have to do with anything I posted?

You guys are whining about the very few birds that die in encounters with windmills.

about 230,000 birds die from flying into windmills.

The total bird population of the US is 7.2 BILLION birds of all species. That is actually DOWN from 10 Billion in 1970, but most of that loss is due to habitat destruction, not windmills.

Experts say habitat loss was the No. 1 reason for bird loss. A 2015 study said cats kill 2.6 billion birds each year in the United States and Canada, while window collisions kill another 624 million and cars another 214 million.

That’s why people can do their part by keeping cats indoors, treating their home windows to reduce the likelihood that birds will crash into them, stopping pesticide and insecticide use at home and buying coffee grown on farms with forest-like habitat, said Sara Hallager, bird curator at the Smithsonian Institution.
I have an issue with Democrats using statistics to prove a point. When "the truth is optional" came out in the scandal that the Democrats created with Christine Blasey Ford's lies that Kavanaugh was a sex predator, that closed the door on Democrat "statistics" for me. There's always something fishy there, because when Democrats "validate" lies, they always turn around and excuse themselves for passing a trillion dollars in tax to pay with the target population being taxpayers, oh duh. When you divide the $15 trillion that has been passed with scammer Pelosi in charge, do the math and divide that by the number of employed taxpayers. That's ten tons of nickels on the shoulders of every person in America who works for a living, and we don't need it.

That said, there's something rotten in Denmark about blaming cats for attacking Ospreys that would peck their eyes out if they tried such a thing on them or their bird babies. Cats like their health, so I don't believe household cats killed all that many Ospreys who tend to choose areas away from human habitation where household cats prosper.. Household cats are in it for the steady meals. And that's the nature of household cats.

That said, there's something rotten in Denmark about blaming cats for attacking Ospreys that would peck their eyes out if they tried such a thing on them or their bird babies. Cats like their health, so I don't believe household cats killed all that many Ospreys who tend to choose areas away from human habitation where household cats prosper.. Household cats are in it for the steady meals. And that's the nature of household cats.

That is a reasonable point. I'm sure cats kill many more songbirds and regular birds that live near neighborhoods. It is actually a good thing that many folks are picking on windmills for their impact on specific birds. It is a genuinely good sign when the Right wishes to stop people developing things because of harm to specific species.

I remember when they openly mocked things like water diversions that were intended to save small fish or amphibians. Now they are fierce defenders of animals who are negatively impacted by human activities.

Forum List

Back