🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Wind becomes No 2 power source in US, beating coal and nuclear

Wind will never replace coal/gas/nuke, because the wind don't blow all the time, and there is no battery technology that allows saving of wind energy for the times when the wind don't blow. Same is true for solar.

Would that we could allow wind, solar, and all the other "clean" forms of energy to succeed or fail on their own technical and economic merits.

And would that the Lefties would get their collective head out of their collective ass and embrace nuke. But apparently not while I'm alive.

I have solar - because why not? But you're right - it's a ridiculous energy source. The panels on my house are HEAVILY subsidized by the federal government as a kickback to China. They took massive amounts of fossil fuels to produce, and they will wear out in 10 years - where I have a 25 year warranty - so taxpayers will replace them - twice. See, I'm going to pay for them either way, so I may as well reduce my electric bill. But I know full well they aren't a viable energy source.

Outta the park, Petro. The New Green Deal is full of catch-22 potholes invisible to normal eyes by the laissez faire press that does as it is told by the Demmie mob..
The idea of "clean" energy is based on the premise that one has to ignore the environmental costs of these technologies in their creation and eventual decommissioning.

There is no free lunch when it comes to energy.

On March 29th for the first time, wind surpassed boat coal and nuclear as a US power source. It has surpassed both individually in the pasts but this was the first occasion for surpassing both. Natural gas remains at No 1.

How many of those installations require fossil fuels to base load the grid?

I think my favorite part of these discussions about alternative energy technologies is hearing the "skeptics" denigrate every single advance in the technology as being imperfect and unable to do the entire job of 100 years of fossil-fuel based energy infrastructure build out.

I wonder if the skeptics know how technology develops or if they think that the computer they are using today was exactly what the first personal computer was like. It just fell out of the sky on their desk fully formed.

For those who have worked in R&D science it is actually kind of funny to see the "skeptics" whine and wail. The folks who are sitting at their desks with piles of patent plaques are kind of snickering at the skeptics who complain about the failure of new tech to completely supplant old tech in a year.

I have an issue with Democrats using statistics to prove a point. When "the truth is optional" came out in the scandal that the Democrats created with Christine Blasey Ford's lies that Kavanaugh was a sex predator, that closed the door on Democrat "statistics" for me. There's always something fishy there, because when Democrats "validate" lies, they always turn around and excuse themselves for passing a trillion dollars in tax to pay with the target population being taxpayers, oh duh. When you divide the $15 trillion that has been passed with scammer Pelosi in charge, do the math and divide that by the number of employed taxpayers. That's ten tons of nickels on the shoulders of every person in America who works for a living, and we don't need it.

That said, there's something rotten in Denmark about blaming cats for attacking Ospreys that would peck their eyes out if they tried such a thing on them or their bird babies. Cats like their health, so I don't believe household cats killed all that many Ospreys who tend to choose areas away from human habitation where household cats prosper.. Household cats are in it for the steady meals. And that's the nature of household cats.
Your rant against Democrats and statistics is simply more babbling. If you think it's reasonable to reject statistics because of the Brett Kavanaugh hearings your problems run deep.

Windmills don't kill only raptors and raptors are not threatened solely by windmills. That domestic and feral cats kill hundreds of millions of birds every year utterly dwarfs the birds killed by windmills. Yet you and yours have nothing to say to cat owners or even to folks who won't get them neutered or spayed. It makes me conclude you're all simply looking for some means of attacking alternative energy technologies rather than the slightest bit of caring on your part about the birds themselves. And why do you want to attack alternative energy technologies willy-nilly? Because you're republicans and your republican political leaders have told you to do so. And why have they told you to do that? Because the fossil fuel industry, to whom action on AGW is an existential threat, are a HUGE SOURCE OF INCOME TO THE REPUBLICAN PARTY.

Your rant against Democrats and statistics is simply more babbling. If you think it's reasonable to reject statistics because of the Brett Kavanaugh hearings your problems run deep.

Windmills don't kill only raptors and raptors are not threatened solely by windmills. That domestic and feral cats kill hundreds of millions of birds every year utterly dwarfs the birds killed by windmills. Yet you and yours have nothing to say to cat owners or even to folks who won't get them neutered or spayed. It makes me conclude you're all simply looking for some means of attacking alternative energy technologies rather than the slightest bit of caring on your part about the birds themselves. And why do you want to attack alternative energy technologies willy-nilly? Because you're republicans and your republican political leaders have told you to do so. And why have they told you to do that? Because the fossil fuel industry, to whom action on AGW is an existential threat, are a HUGE SOURCE OF INCOME TO THE REPUBLICAN PARTY.
Cats do not have opportunities to kill Osprey. They're wild birds that are never appear in human neighborhoods. All your blatherskite, and you accuse me of babbling. :rolleyes-41:

Cats do not have opportunities to kill Osprey. They're wild birds that are never appear in human neighborhoods. All your blatherskite, and you accuse me of babbling. :rolleyes-41:

Why do you limit your outrage ONLY to osprey?

While cats may not be killing a lot of raptors they are by and large the #1 human-related danger to birds in general in the US and Canada (HERE)

Yes, it's terrible that windmills are dangerous to birds. But if one is outraged against windmills they should be MASSIVELY outraged at housecats.

The idea of "clean" energy is based on the premise that one has to ignore the environmental costs of these technologies in their creation and eventual decommissioning.

There is no free lunch when it comes to energy.
Well, if we walked or cycled more to get groceries, we'd likely have the bonus of being in better shape. :cool:

Why do you limit your outrage ONLY to osprey?

While cats may not be killing a lot of raptors they are by and large the #1 human-related danger to birds in general in the US and Canada (HERE)

Yes, it's terrible that windmills are dangerous to birds. But if one is outraged against windmills they should be MASSIVELY outraged at housecats.
I love ospreys and I don't like ugly turbine farms that kill them.

Well, if we walked or cycled more to get groceries, we'd likely have the bonus of being in better shape. :cool:

Agreed. When summer comes around here we always like to bike into town rather than drive. During most of the year, though, I also drive a full electric car which I charge on my solar PV system at home, so it's all good.

I still have to have people tell me how evil it is to do it this way instead of burning oil.

You do realize that far more birds are killed by cats than windfarms, right?

When it comes to bird deaths, cats are unrivaled as the leading cause. Whereas wind turbines only kill about 234,000 birds every year in the United States, felines kill 2.4 billion, according to the US Fish and Wildlife Service. As of 2017, cats killed more birds than all other human-related causes combined.

Feral, or "un-owned," cats are largely responsible for this high number, because they spend much of their time outside and hunting for food, according to a 2013 Nature study. Pet cats with access to the outdoors, the research found, killed nearly 684 million birds annually as of the study's publication, a substantial percentage of the total

You also spend a lot of time whining about "Eagles", but we are talking about Golden Eagles, which aren't even an endangered species.

Yeah, common birds are killed. Raptors are rare, and windmills kill far more than any other cause.

So you whine about bird populations that number in the billions, and we are concerned about bird populations that number in the tens of thousands.

You ain't too bright are you.

A true single-issue voter. Fair enough.

Would you be OK with a coal company putting a giant toxic ash sludge pond in your neighborhood so long as there were no turbines to hurt the ospreys?
If their poison killed only one of my visiting Great egrets that visit my backyard paradise in good weather, I might plan a crime on perpetrators of their anathema. :muahaha:

I have an issue with Democrats using statistics to prove a point. When "the truth is optional" came out in the scandal that the Democrats created with Christine Blasey Ford's lies that Kavanaugh was a sex predator, that closed the door on Democrat "statistics" for me. There's always something fishy there, because when Democrats "validate" lies, they always turn around and excuse themselves for passing a trillion dollars in tax to pay with the target population being taxpayers, oh duh. When you divide the $15 trillion that has been passed with scammer Pelosi in charge, do the math and divide that by the number of employed taxpayers. That's ten tons of nickels on the shoulders of every person in America who works for a living, and we don't need it.

Seriously, what the f**k does that have to do with how birds are being killed.

You want to save birds, keep your cat in the house.

That said, there's something rotten in Denmark about blaming cats for attacking Ospreys that would peck their eyes out if they tried such a thing on them or their bird babies. Cats like their health, so I don't believe household cats killed all that many Ospreys who tend to choose areas away from human habitation where household cats prosper.. Household cats are in it for the steady meals. And that's the nature of household cats.

Um, cats are naturally hunters. For instance, there been some sparrows that have been buidling nests inside my gas grill. Every couple of days I need to clean those grills out.

And every day, my cat sits at the window, watching those birds, waiting for a chance to pounce, and being frustrated by glass!

Now, funny story, my previous cat was sitting at the patio door of my old place, when we had some canadian geese strutting around the lawn. So I opened the door and said, "Go get them, tough guy!"

Well, he gets about halfway to the geese, realized he's complete misguided the Cat-to-Goose size ration, and turns around slinking away as fast he can back to the door.

Yeah, common birds are killed. Raptors are rare, and windmills kill far more than any other cause.

So you whine about bird populations that number in the billions, and we are concerned about bird populations that number in the tens of thousands.

You ain't too bright are you.

We're talking about Golden Eagles, which aren't an endangered species at all...

You aren't very bright, are you?

1650211254721.png

Seriously, what the f**k does that have to do with how birds are being killed.

You want to save birds, keep your cat in the house.

Um, cats are naturally hunters. For instance, there been some sparrows that have been buidling nests inside my gas grill. Every couple of days I need to clean those grills out.

And every day, my cat sits at the window, watching those birds, waiting for a chance to pounce, and being frustrated by glass!

Now, funny story, my previous cat was sitting at the patio door of my old place, when we had some canadian geese strutting around the lawn. So I opened the door and said, "Go get them, tough guy!"

Well, he gets about halfway to the geese, realized he's complete misguided the Cat-to-Goose size ration, and turns around slinking away as fast he can back to the door.
I do not argue with idiots who use the f word in their rebuttals. To the iggy list with you.
We're talking about Golden Eagles, which aren't an endangered species at all...

You aren't very bright, are you?

View attachment 631949
Reported for trolling.

Forum List

Back