With just 3 Republican votes the House passes $15 an hour minimum wage bill.

Who this hurts, are those that were hired at $7.25 10 years ago, and busted their butts to get one promotion after another, more responsibility for the company and now earn $18 an hour.... and now would see the company hiring people with absolutely no experience at $15, and they get no increase that is comparable for the workload and responsibility they are carrying.... and no, the companies do not raise their wages with the minimum wage hike, in any kind of comparable way.

It would be better, if the congress simply raised minimum wage, a little bit, every year instead of this....

But why raise it at all?

One the states are doing it on their own

Two no one significant makes national minimum wage.

Long overdue...

With Support of Just 3 Republicans, House Democrats Pass 'Historic' Raise the Wage Act to Guarantee Workers $15 Minimum Wage

Progressives in Congress were joined by workers, business owners, and labor rights advocates in celebrating the "historic" passage on Thursday of the Raise the Wage Act, aimed at guaranteeing all American workers a minimum wage of $15.

Two hundred thirty House Democrats were joined by only three Republicans—Reps. Brian Fitzpatrick of Pennsylvania, Will Hurd of Texas, and Christopher H. Smith of New Jersey—in supporting the Raise the Wage Act (RTWA), which would raise the federal minimum wage to $15 per hour by 2025 and end the use of sub-minimum wages for tipped workers.

With Support of Just 3 Republicans, House Democrats Pass 'Historic' Raise the Wage Act to Guarantee Workers $15 Minimum Wage

Nothing was "passed" at all, it was a symbolic act and a political act, that doesn't do a damn thing.

Going into the vote, everyone knew that the bill was being sent to die in the Senate, and the decision for the representatives was what political message they were going to send with their vote.

Similar enough to the votes to Repeal Obamacare. Obama wasn't going to sign it. That vote was just a political one to get people on the record.

Who this hurts, are those that were hired at $7.25 10 years ago, and busted their butts to get one promotion after another, more responsibility for the company and now earn $18 an hour.... and now would see the company hiring people with absolutely no experience at $15, and they get no increase that is comparable for the workload and responsibility they are carrying.... and no, the companies do not raise their wages with the minimum wage hike, in any kind of comparable way.

It would be better, if the congress simply raised minimum wage, a little bit, every year instead of this....

But why raise it at all?

Pennsylvania is one of the few states that still goes with the Federal Minimum wage, and it is tough to find a job at that rate nowadays. Very few people get 7.25 in 2019

Democrats pandering to stupidity. The morons who like this idea won't be so happy when their hours are cut or they are laid off completely. But they vote so....

But why raise it at all?

Pennsylvania is one of the few states that still goes with the Federal Minimum wage, and it is tough to find a job at that rate nowadays. Very few people get 7.25 in 2019

And way many more find a minimum wage job in say a state like Colorado..
($11.10)

We need to find a link who makes minimum wage (%) in each state.

But why raise it at all?

There were and still are, a handful of States that have NO MINIMUM State WAGE.... employers, if it were not for the federal minimum wage, would be paying slave wages of $2 to $5 an hours....

Most States though, do as you say, they control their own minimum wage and have it higher than the Federal Minimum.... mine raised it to $12 over a 4 or 5 year period, and then I believe are going to raise it by the cost of living each year after that, so that there will be no huge minimum wage hike after the initial huge bump....

But my neighbor's older son, the guy who earns $18 now from busting his butt and getting promotions the past decade has seen nothing but minimal 3% raises each year while the minimum wage workers have gotten $1 to $2 raises an hour for the past 4 years to get them from the old minimum wage to the new hourly minimum wage of $12....

It's a conundrum alright...

But why raise it at all?

($11.10)

I can't find one yet...they won't discuss

But why raise it at all?

There were and still are, a handful of States that have NO MINIMUM State WAGE.... employers, if it were not for the federal minimum wage, would be paying slave wages of $2 to $5 an hours....

Most States though, do as you say, they control their own minimum wage and have it higher than the Federal Minimum.... mine raised it to $12 over a 4 or 5 year period, and then I believe are going to raise it by the cost of living each year after that, so that there will be no huge minimum wage hike after the initial huge bump....

But my neighbor's older son, the guy who earns $18 now from busting his butt and getting promotions the past decade has seen nothing but minimal 3% raises each year while the minimum wage workers have gotten $1 to $2 raises an hour for the past 4 years to get them from the old minimum wage to the new hourly minimum wage of $12....

Once again look at the job boards , they are hiring at $11 bucks an hour plus with a state minimum wage of $7.25

No they wouldn't.

Employers pay what they need to pay to get staff qualified for the job they have in mind, and that is more than $2 or $5.

But why raise it at all?

I posted this four times already..

Show me the difference of this $8 dollar burger basket in Wyoming (state minimum wage $7.25)

download (37).jpeg

And a $12 dollar burger basket in Colorado (MW $11.10)

download (37).jpeg

And read my recent threads was in Colorado now up in Wyoming today.

Attachments

• download (37).jpeg
    download (37).jpeg
    7.8 KB · Views: 16

No they wouldn't.

Employers pay what they need to pay to get staff qualified for the job they have in mind, and that is more than $2 or $5.
that's probably true in most cases, but if paid only $7.25 an hour in some of the States, it is slave labor wages right now.

If the States had done their job controlling this from the beginning, there likely would never have been a reason to institute a federal minimum and hang on to it all of these decades?

No they wouldn't.

that's probably true in most cases, but if paid only $7.25 an hour in some of the States, it is slave labor wages right now.

If the States had done their job controlling this from the beginning, there likely would never have been a reason to institute a federal minimum and hang on to it all of these decades?

Why is it "the job" of States to do this?

What makes a government bureaucrat more qualified to say what a job should pay more than the employer and the prospective employee?

But why raise it at all?

($11.10)

I have not found it broken down by State yet, but I am still searching for you...

I found this tidbit of information

Characteristics of minimum wage workers, 2017 : BLS Reports: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Characteristics of minimum wage workers, 2017. In 2017, 80.4 million workers age 16 and older in the United States were paid at hourly rates, representing 58.3 percent of all wage and salary workers. Among those paid by the hour, 542,000 workers earned exactly the prevailing federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour.

so, out 80.4 million workers that get paid by the hour, ONLY 540 thousand, make the actual federal minimum wage.

not many

Last edited:

No they wouldn't.

What makes a government bureaucrat more qualified to say what a job should pay more than the employer and the prospective employee?
Because some corporations and businesses with their power and might, will take advantage of the poorest, who will take anything just to work and have some income?

And may discriminate based on color, race, religion, gender etc. and not workload?

No they wouldn't.

Because some corporations and businesses with their power and might, will take advantage of the poorest, who will take anything just to work and have some income?

And may discriminate based on color, race, religion, gender etc. and not workload?

Where did you get the idea that its hard to find a job in the Trumponomics economy?

Everywhere I turn I see "help wanted" ads. I went into Ollie's last month and at the checkout, the manager telling me how a smart guy like me shouldn't be shopping at Ollie's I should be working there. And the gal didn't know me from Adam

It would be better, if the congress and even better, the State legislators, simply raised minimum wage, a little bit, every year instead of this....
The market eventually adjusts
We have raised minimum wage in the past

But why raise it at all?

($11.10)

I have not found it broken down by State yet, but I am still searching for you...

I found this tidbit of information

Characteristics of minimum wage workers, 2017 : BLS Reports: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Characteristics of minimum wage workers, 2017. In 2017, 80.4 million workers age 16 and older in the United States were paid at hourly rates, representing 58.3 percent of all wage and salary workers. Among those paid by the hour, 542,000 workers earned exactly the prevailing federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour.

so, out 80.4 million workers that get paid by the hour, ONLY 540 thousand, make the actual federal minimum wage.

not many

I was curious about that BLM 2017..why does it take so long?

No my real question is this

A state like Colorado how many percentage wise make there States minimum wage? ($11.10)

A state like South Carolina how many percentage wise make there States minimum wage? ($7.25)

It would be better, if the congress and even better, the State legislators, simply raised minimum wage, a little bit, every year instead of this....
The market eventually adjusts
We have raised minimum wage in the past

Exactly so what's the point raising it?

Forum List

Back