Woman denied prescription to end pregnancy............

There is much too much of these pharmacists trying to dominate other people's lives these days
No, they are NOT "dominating other people's lives." They are simply making personal choices for their OWN LIFE, which you clearly insist on dominating.

Personal and professional ethics should be part of anyone's decision-making process at work.

It's part of mine.

Saw this on the evening news tonight. Seems that a Walgreens pharmacist refused to fill a prescription for a woman to end a pregnancy. She was told at 10 weeks, the fetus had stopped developing and wasn't alive anymore. They then offered her an abortion to remove the dead fetus, or she could take medication and be at home to end the pregnancy.

The pharmacist refused on religious grounds. Fortunately, he was fired.

Does anyone else think that one person's religious beliefs should be able to override a prescription for someone else? I don't.

Pharmacist accused of denying woman prescription to end pregnancy
The pharmacist should lose his license.

Scum. I’m glad he was fired.

As far as the OP, if the woman had a valid scrip, the guy should have filled it, I would say.

As far as the OP, if the woman had a valid scrip, the guy should have filled it, I would say.

A pharmacist who fills a prescription, or a nurse who administers a drug, when they know or suspect it was an error on the part of the prescribing physician, are liable to criminal prosecution, civil litigation, or loss of qualification.

That's case law.

Religious ethics is part of the greater medical ethics question. The physicians oath is to 'Do no harm'.

Any nurse, pharmacist, or other medical practitioner is duty bound to reject to implement a physician's medical orders if they have reason to believe it will do harm.
Unless the harm is to the wallet.

There is much too much of these pharmacists trying to dominate other people's lives these days
No, they are NOT "dominating other people's lives." They are simply making personal choices for their OWN LIFE, which you clearly insist on dominating.

They definitely are trying to dominate others' lives by being obstructionists. Guys like this need to be shown the door. Why should she have had the burden placed on her? She's the one who went through this experience on the say-so of someone who may have been a perfect stranger and someone to whom she had no obligation. And, as I said, she had no warning.

Any person who can't do his or her job should find another line of work.

A pharmacist who fills a prescription, or a nurse who administers a drug, when they know or suspect it was an error on the part of the prescribing physician, are liable to criminal prosecution, civil litigation, or loss of qualification.

That's case law.

That assumes the pharmacist refused on the grounds he thought the prescription was invalid or in error.

I find the idea of pharmacists refusing to give out valid prescriptions a very odd one. Really, it's just the idea of an employee telling their employer, "I won't do this part of the job" that I find odd. If I am unwilling to do part of my job, I wouldn't expect to keep that job, unless I had come to some sort of arrangement with my employer. :dunno:

As always, more details could help clarify this situation.

Religious ethics is part of the greater medical ethics question. The physicians oath is to 'Do no harm'.

Any nurse, pharmacist, or other medical practitioner is duty bound to reject to implement a physician's medical orders if they have reason to believe it will do harm.
But in this case the baby had died so there is no harm!

Again, I don't know the full details but it seems curious that a physician was prescribing a drug to induce termination when the regular procedure for a miscarriage is a D&C to remove any fetal tissue that could complicate a future pregnancy.

Miscarriages are common so there must be something happening here that isn't being reported that caused the pharmacist be unwilling to prescribe a medication. We might never know the facts of the case and some of us will make snap judgements based on our belief system.

They definitely are trying to dominate others' lives by being obstructionists. Guys like this need to be shown the door. Why should she have had the burden placed on her? She's the one who went through this experience on the say-so of someone who may have been a perfect stranger and someone to whom she had no obligation. And, as I said, she had no warning.

i do not know about pharmacists but nurses and doctors have every right to say no to participating in abortion.

Like the asshole who refused to serve Sarah Sanders? Close that bitch down!

Saw this on the evening news tonight. Seems that a Walgreens pharmacist refused to fill a prescription for a woman to end a pregnancy. She was told at 10 weeks, the fetus had stopped developing and wasn't alive anymore. They then offered her an abortion to remove the dead fetus, or she could take medication and be at home to end the pregnancy.

Does anyone else think that one person's religious beliefs should be able to override a prescription for someone else? I don't.

I would have chosen not to add another stain to my soul.

"A man who stands for nothing will fall for anything."
~Malcom X

Pharmacists body, Pharmacists choice.

Doing one’s job doesn’t ‘violate’ his religious beliefs.

Again, I don't know the full details but it seems curious that a physician was prescribing a drug to induce termination when the regular procedure for a miscarriage is a D&C to remove any fetal tissue that could complicate a future pregnancy.

Miscarriages are common so there must be something happening here that isn't being reported that caused the pharmacist be unwilling to prescribe a medication. We might never know the facts of the case and some of us will make snap judgements based on our belief system.

i do not know about pharmacists but nurses and doctors have every right to say no to participating in abortion.

What would be appropriate compensation for the woman involved here?

I never hear anyone mention the victims in these situations, just the "holy" folks, provided, of course, that they are members of the "correct" religion. This woman was already stressed out, and this jackass made it worse.

What would be appropriate compensation for the woman involved here?

I never hear anyone mention the victims in these situations, just the "holy" folks, provided, of course, that they are members of the "correct" religion. This woman was already stressed out, and this jackass made it worse.
She's stressed, agreed. More reason to have a 48 hour delay.

Forum List

Back