Woman denied prescription to end pregnancy............

The pharmacist could be charged with murder.

Remember the pharmacy was out of the medication... Customer received text even before leaving store that Rx had been filled at Pharmacy at another location... What will you charge the Pharmacist with now? Doing his job?

If there out, there out. You can fill a Rx for medicine you don’t have.

There seems to be a variety of different and contradictory stories being told here:

1. That this prescription was not filled promptly due to this guy's beliefs
  2. That this prescription was not filled promptly because the medication was not in stock
  3. That there were other pharmacists present who could have filled the prescription
  4. That this guy did not follow company policy and make other arrangements
This guy should never, ever have engaged this woman in any sort of personal conversation. He had no business asking her if she was pregnant or anything else. He had no business in introducing his beliefs into their conversation. This was entirely unprofessional.

Incidentally, all prescriptions come with an information sheet, which would have given her all the information she needed to know.
Every prescription I pick up I have to sign that I do not require counseling from the pharmacist!

I nevah heard of that sort of thing----is it something-----like something new?
It’s not new in Fla.

Remember the pharmacy was out of the medication...
There seems to be a variety of different and contradictory stories being told here:

2. That this prescription was not filled promptly because the medication was not in stock

Could either of you support the claim, with links to reputable news organizations, by the pharmacist or Walgreens that the prescribed medication was not in stock?

Thank you in advance.

.>>>>

I think that the excuse that the medication was not in stock is a bullshit story that was added by the right-wing rumor mill to provide an alibi for the pharmacist, who would have told the customer that the pharmacy was out of stock and it had to be ordered from another location. It's happened to me. Then I had to come back after the medication in question was delivered from another store.

Remember the pharmacy was out of the medication...

Could either of you support the claim, with links to reputable news organizations, by the pharmacist or Walgreens that the prescribed medication was not in stock?

Thank you in advance.

.>>>>

I think that the excuse that the medication was not in stock is a bullshit story that was added by the right-wing rumor mill to provide an alibi for the pharmacist, who would have told the customer that the pharmacy was out of stock and it had to be ordered from another location. It's happened to me. Then I had to come back after the medication in question was delivered from another store.

generally----it can take a few days-----and that is all there is to it. I still
do not believe the story AS PRESENTED

The pharmacist could be charged with murder.

Remember the pharmacy was out of the medication... Customer received text even before leaving store that Rx had been filled at Pharmacy at another location... What will you charge the Pharmacist with now? Doing his job?

If there out, there out. You can fill a Rx for medicine you don’t have.

3. That there were other pharmacists present who could have filled the prescription
  4. That this guy did not follow company policy and make other arrangements
This guy should never, ever have engaged this woman in any sort of personal conversation. He had no business asking her if she was pregnant or anything else. He had no business in introducing his beliefs into their conversation. This was entirely unprofessional.

Incidentally, all prescriptions come with an information sheet, which would have given her all the information she needed to know.
Every prescription I pick up I have to sign that I do not require counseling from the pharmacist!

I nevah heard of that sort of thing----is it something-----like something new?

It's not new in the DC/VA/MD area. It's standard procedure here.

Saw this on the evening news tonight. Seems that a Walgreens pharmacist refused to fill a prescription for a woman to end a pregnancy. She was told at 10 weeks, the fetus had stopped developing and wasn't alive anymore. They then offered her an abortion to remove the dead fetus, or she could take medication and be at home to end the pregnancy.

The pharmacist refused on religious grounds. Fortunately, he was fired.

Does anyone else think that one person's religious beliefs should be able to override a prescription for someone else? I don't.

Pharmacist accused of denying woman prescription to end pregnancy

In a hurry, didn’t click on the link but what should have happened was that the pharmacist should have let another pharmacist fill the script or referred her to another pharmacy that will charge the same or near the same usual and customary price.
At least that is the way I learned it.

You people who are saying that it was wrong to use a pill to abort the fetus? Remember y'all......................the "morning after" pill is still kinda new, it was only in 2006 that it came about.

As far as not wanting to get a D and C? Well, if she had stayed in the hospital, she would have not only been paying for the procedure itself, but she would also have to spend money to stay in the hospital. Chances are, taking the pill was a cheaper option. Not to mention, she would be able to be at home and therefore more comfortable.

And, as far as it being a religious belief issue? That shouldn't apply here. When I go to meet my Maker, whatever I've done in my life is between me and them, nobody else. If you want to take responsibility for what I do in my life? You also have to share in the punishment that I receive from God.

Liberal snowflakes.

If the woman wanted an abortion pill, she should have the wherewithal to make an abortion pill for her own usage, not rely on a pharmacist to provide it for her!

What kind of world are we coming to when we rely on others for our goods and seevices and demand that if their job is to provide said goods and services, that they should do just that?!!

MAGA

Religious ethics is part of the greater medical ethics question. The physicians oath is to 'Do no harm'.

Any nurse, pharmacist, or other medical practitioner is duty bound to reject to implement a physician's medical orders if they have reason to believe it will do harm.
So, what harm can come from taking a pill to abort an already dead fetus?

Religious ethics is part of the greater medical ethics question. The physicians oath is to 'Do no harm'.

Any nurse, pharmacist, or other medical practitioner is duty bound to reject to implement a physician's medical orders if they have reason to believe it will do harm.

I don't have all the facts of the case and apparently, from reading the later posts, there is a a lot about this case that was misrepresented by CNN. But, off the top of my head...

1. There are conflicting reports as to whether the fetus was a miscarriage or wasn't developing. At ten weeks, a dead infant should trigger a miscarriage.

2. The normal medical procedure in the case of a miscarriage is a D&C. It's vital to remove any remaining tissue from the miscarriage as it can severely complicate future pregnancies.

3. Miscarriages are not uncommon and a pharmacist would have encountered many prescriptions for a drug of this nature (the actual drug is never named as far as I can tell) over his career. What was unique about this case that caused a pharmacist to withhold a drug ... if that is in fact what happened?

4. Given that there are so few known facts and some of the facts given were deliberately misrepresented by CNN, why are some so quick to pronounce judgment, harsh judgement, on the pharmacist. I am always, on principle, against trial by media.

I don't have all the facts of the case and apparently, from reading the later posts, there is a a lot about this case that was misrepresented by CNN. But, off the top of my head...

1. There are conflicting reports as to whether the fetus was a miscarriage or wasn't developing. At ten weeks, a dead infant should trigger a miscarriage.

2. The normal medical procedure in the case of a miscarriage is a D&C. It's vital to remove any remaining tissue from the miscarriage as it can severely complicate future pregnancies.

3. Miscarriages are not uncommon and a pharmacist would have encountered many prescriptions for a drug of this nature (the actual drug is never named as far as I can tell) over his career. What was unique about this case that caused a pharmacist to withhold a drug ... if that is in fact what happened?

4. Given that there are so few known facts and some of the facts given were deliberately misrepresented by CNN, why are some so quick to pronounce judgment, harsh judgement, on the pharmacist. I am always, on principle, against trial by media.
The woman's doctor gave her a prescription for a drug. Is it the pharmacist's job to diagnose and treat the woman's maladies? No, it's his job to fill the prescription, inform the recipient of the drug of possible side effects, and collect the payment.

The woman's doctor gave her a prescription for a drug. Is it the pharmacist's job to diagnose and treat the woman's maladies? No, it's his job to fill the prescription, inform the recipient of the drug of possible side effects, and collect the payment.

That is actually untrue. A pharmacist, nurse, or any medical practitioner who dispenses or administers a drug that he believes or suspects is prescribed by the physician in error can be prosecuted criminally, can be sued civilly, or can be stripped of their professional qualifications. There is a lot of case law on this.

One quarter of a million people die every year in the US due to medical mistakes, making medical malpractice the third leading cause of death in the US behind heart disease and cancer.

Beyond the legal responsibility, all medical practitioners have a moral obligation to not knowingly do harm to a patient. Despite what you see on TV, doctors are not omnipotent. They make a lot of mistakes. Given that an average outpatient spends less than 15 minutes with their physician, it's important for qualified medical professionals to be vigilant for potential errors on the part of physicians.

4. Given that there are so few known facts and some of the facts given were deliberately misrepresented by CNN, why are some so quick to pronounce judgment, harsh judgement, on the pharmacist. I am to always, on principle, against trial by media.[/QUOTE
It is never the role the of a pharmacist to ask personal questions of a customer or to engage in a personal conversation with a customer. It seems that this guy withheld medication to the customer based solely on his "beliefs." If the pharmacist had any questions about filling this prescription, he should have called the doctor who wrote the scrip. The doctor should know, not a pharmacist. Why do you think that CNN "deliberately" misrepresented the facts? Did he do this or didn't he? This guy supposedly represented to the customer that he would not dispense this medication based on his "beliefs," after having the unmitigated GALL to question her about her personal and medical life. This woman was there for his services. She has absolutely NO obligation regarding what beliefs he chooses of his own accord to adopt.

Saw this on the evening news tonight. Seems that a Walgreens pharmacist refused to fill a prescription for a woman to end a pregnancy. She was told at 10 weeks, the fetus had stopped developing and wasn't alive anymore. They then offered her an abortion to remove the dead fetus, or she could take medication and be at home to end the pregnancy.

Does anyone else think that one person's religious beliefs should be able to override a prescription for someone else? I don't.

Those with strict religious beliefs will always be of the opinion that their religious belief allows them to dictate the actions of those who don't believe in their religion.

Those with strict religious beliefs will always be of the opinion that their religious belief allows them to dictate the actions of those who don't believe in their religion.

People need to learn to keep their religion out of other people's healthcare. When I go to meet my Maker, what I did over the course of my life is between me and Him, nobody else.

However.......................if you use your religion to dictate how I live MY life, then when I stand before God to answer for my life, then you need to be standing there with me and share in my punishment.

People need to learn to keep their religion out of other people's healthcare. When I go to meet my Maker, what I did over the course of my life is between me and Him, nobody else.

However.......................if you use your religion to dictate how I live MY life, then when I stand before God to answer for my life, then you need to be standing there with me and share in my punishment.
Being an Atheist, no one will be standing before anyone after they die.

That is actually untrue. A pharmacist, nurse, or any medical practitioner who dispenses or administers a drug that he believes or suspects is prescribed by the physician in error can be prosecuted criminally, can be sued civilly, or can be stripped of their professional qualifications. There is a lot of case law on this.

One quarter of a million people die every year in the US due to medical mistakes, making medical malpractice the third leading cause of death in the US behind heart disease and cancer.

Beyond the legal responsibility, all medical practitioners have a moral obligation to not knowingly do harm to a patient. Despite what you see on TV, doctors are not omnipotent. They make a lot of mistakes. Given that an average outpatient spends less than 15 minutes with their physician, it's important for qualified medical professionals to be vigilant for potential errors on the part of physicians.

Exactly what efforts did this pharmacist undertake to ascertain whether a mistake had been made? The only report that we have on hand is that this guy questioned the customer, in public, as to whether she was pregnant, which is highly unethical and unprofessional, and then told her that he could not fill the prescription. Did he actually call the prescribing doctor? Did he inform the customer that he had suspicions about the scrip and wanted to speak with the doctor? What does the doctor say? What evidence did the pharmacist have for his alleged determination that a mistake had occurred and that he tried to rectify it.
You will notice that the pharmacist is not speaking. If what you say is true, he will be able to speak about his efforts and explain why he said to the customer what he is accused of saying to her. He also can deny that he said anything to her or asked her intimate and personal questions.

Last edited:

Exactly what efforts did this pharmacist undertake to ascertain whether a mistake had been made? The only report that we have on hand is that this guy questioned the customer, in public, as to whether she was pregnant, which is highly unethical and unprofessional, and then told her that he could not fill the prescription. Did he actually call the prescribing doctor? Did he inform the customer that he had suspicions about the scrip and wanted to speak with the doctor? What does the doctor say? What evidence did the pharmacist have for his alleged determination that a mistake had occurred and that he tried to rectify it.
You will notice that the pharmacist is not speaking. If what you say is true, he will be able to speak about his efforts and explain why he said to the customer what he is accused of saying to her. He also can deny that he said anything to her or asked her intimate and personal questions.
It certainly isn't the pharmacist's job to second guess the doctor, ask the customer personal intimate questions, and then make moral judgments before not providing the service the customer was there for.

Exactly what efforts did this pharmacist undertake to ascertain whether a mistake had been made?

I don't know, you don't know, and if CNN knows, they ain't sayin'.

This story has been presented, as most news stories are, with a few facts. Some facts omitted, some altered, to give a particular ideological slant that appeals to CNN's target demographic.

Which is why I refuse to participate in trial by media. I don't know what actually happened there, and neither do you. My contributions to this discussion are to point out that people are mistaken when they state that pharmacists and other medical professionals are obligated to carry out the instructions of a doctor without question.

None of the reporting on the case indicates that the pharmacist believed the prescription was dangerous or an error. Besides the woman's side of the story, there is a statement by Walgreens which seems to indicate the pharmacist refused to fill the prescription based on personal moral or religious reasons.

Certainly if the pharmacist thought the prescription was given in error that changes the entire situation. However, that is a possibility without any evidence at this point, at least that I have seen.

Exactly what efforts did this pharmacist undertake to ascertain whether a mistake had been made?

I don't know, you don't know, and if CNN knows, they ain't sayin'.

This story has been presented, as most news stories are, with a few facts. Some facts omitted, some altered, to give a particular ideological slant that appeals to CNN's target demographic.

Which is why I refuse to participate in trial by media. I don't know what actually happened there, and neither do you. My contributions to this discussion are to point out that people are mistaken when they state that pharmacists and other medical professionals are obligated to carry out the instructions of a doctor without question.
As it stands now, this woman has related her interaction with this guy. If this guy has anything legitimate to say, why doesn't he come out and say it? Come on, Brian, what exactly did you do? Did you call the doctor who wrote the scrip and ask if it were proper? Did you call your manager? Why did you ask this customer if she were pregnant and otherwise engage her in personal conversation in front of other people?This guy can find a microphone, can't he? Where is his voice and his response to the accusations against him? No one can talk about "trial by media" when one of the parties refuses to speak and give his/her side of the story.. Let this guy come out and explain his actions. Otherwise, we will conclude that he is a chickenshit. Remember that the woman who sought to have her prescription filled had nothing to do with him and perhaps did not even know him. I'm not giving him a pass if he does not come out and give his side of the story.

Forum List

Back