Woman denied prescription to end pregnancy............

Saw this on the evening news tonight. Seems that a Walgreens pharmacist refused to fill a prescription for a woman to end a pregnancy. She was told at 10 weeks, the fetus had stopped developing and wasn't alive anymore. They then offered her an abortion to remove the dead fetus, or she could take medication and be at home to end the pregnancy.

The pharmacist refused on religious grounds. Fortunately, he was fired.

Does anyone else think that one person's religious beliefs should be able to override a prescription for someone else? I don't.

Pharmacist accused of denying woman prescription to end pregnancy

Why could she not walk across the street to another pharmacy?

This is a spurious argument, but one I hear often. There is no reason to transfer the burden to her. The pharmacist's beliefs are not her responsibility. It's the responsibility of the pharmacy to fill the prescription.

I do not believe the story.

The pharmacist could be charged with murder.

Remember the pharmacy was out of the medication... Customer received text even before leaving store that Rx had been filled at Pharmacy at another location... What will you charge the Pharmacist with now? Doing his job?

If there out, there out. You can fill a Rx for medicine you don’t have.

There seems to be a variety of different and contradictory stories being told here:

1. That this prescription was not filled promptly due to this guy's beliefs
  2. That this prescription was not filled promptly because the medication was not in stock
  3. That there were other pharmacists present who could have filled the prescription
  4. That this guy did not follow company policy and make other arrangements
This guy should never, ever have engaged this woman in any sort of personal conversation. He had no business asking her if she was pregnant or anything else. He had no business in introducing his beliefs into their conversation. This was entirely unprofessional.

Incidentally, all prescriptions come with an information sheet, which would have given her all the information she needed to know.

Religious ethics is part of the greater medical ethics question. The physicians oath is to 'Do no harm'.

Any nurse, pharmacist, or other medical practitioner is duty bound to reject to implement a physician's medical orders if they have reason to believe it will do harm.
To a baby? Here we go. This will go to the new Supreme Court and the pro lifer will win.

People should have listened to me when I said republicans were chipping away at roe v wade. And when lots of republicans were denying they would.

Elections have consequences. Any pro choice dummy who didn’t vote or voted republican can only blame themselves

If we are to believe the premis that she was carrying a dead baby then I fail to understand the doctor’s prescription. The dead body inside her would be poisoning her. Seems to me this would be an emergency abortion or maybe even surgery. There should have been no need to put her or rhe pharmiscist at odds.

Or the baby could be brain dead and not viable

I trust the doctors judgement more than the pharmacist

Religious ethics is part of the greater medical ethics question. The physicians oath is to 'Do no harm'.

Any nurse, pharmacist, or other medical practitioner is duty bound to reject to implement a physician's medical orders if they have reason to believe it will do harm.
But in this case the baby had died so there is no harm!

Again, I don't know the full details but it seems curious that a physician was prescribing a drug to induce termination when the regular procedure for a miscarriage is a D&C to remove any fetal tissue that could complicate a future pregnancy.

Miscarriages are common so there must be something happening here that isn't being reported that caused the pharmacist be unwilling to prescribe a medication. We might never know the facts of the case and some of us will make snap judgements based on our belief system.
2 of my 4 pregnancies were miscarriages, both at 8-10 weeks.
NEVER was a script suggested as an option.
Had D&C both times.
We aren’t getting the whole story.

Ummmm, wedding cake? SCOTUS says otherwise.

Please name the case and it's not Masterpiece Cakeshop as that is not what the court ruled. They reversed the lower court based on the hostility of members of the commission denying Mr. Phillips unbiased and due process.

They did not rule that religious claims exempted one from Public Accommodation laws.

For example in Newman V. Piggie Park the claims was a religious exemption to Public Accommodation laws. Piggie Park lost.

In Bob Jones University v. United States the a private school lost on the claim that their religious beliefs allowed for discrimination. BJU lost.

Muslim cab drivers in Minnesota claimed their religion did not allow them to service dogs for handicapped people. They lost.

.>>>>

But in this case the baby had died so there is no harm!

Again, I don't know the full details but it seems curious that a physician was prescribing a drug to induce termination when the regular procedure for a miscarriage is a D&C to remove any fetal tissue that could complicate a future pregnancy.

Miscarriages are common so there must be something happening here that isn't being reported that caused the pharmacist be unwilling to prescribe a medication. We might never know the facts of the case and some of us will make snap judgements based on our belief system.
2 of my 4 pregnancies were miscarriages, both at 8-10 weeks.
NEVER was a script suggested as an option.
Had D&C both times.
We aren’t getting the whole story.

What part of the "whole story" would be missing? If the pharmacist had a question, he should have called the doctor whose patient she is and who wrote the scrip. A practicing OB/GYN would be familiar with professional guidelines like those issued by the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. These people would not want to risk legal action for medical malpractice. I've had a D&C, complete with general anesthetic, and if, in the interim, another method of accomplishing the same objective with a pill taken at home rather than surgery was developed, I'd pick the pill.

Whether there would be some clash of medications or some other medical reason for not filling it raise questions entirely separate from those raised by these guy's actions in connection with his beliefs. He should never have engaged in a personal conversation with her.

There seems to be some school for armchair gynecology operating in somebody's garage somewhere that thinks it's superior to the medical professionals.

Remember the pharmacy was out of the medication...
There seems to be a variety of different and contradictory stories being told here:

2. That this prescription was not filled promptly because the medication was not in stock

Could either of you support the claim, with links to reputable news organizations, by the pharmacist or Walgreens that the prescribed medication was not in stock?

Thank you in advance.

.>>>>

Saw this on the evening news tonight. Seems that a Walgreens pharmacist refused to fill a prescription for a woman to end a pregnancy. She was told at 10 weeks, the fetus had stopped developing and wasn't alive anymore. They then offered her an abortion to remove the dead fetus, or she could take medication and be at home to end the pregnancy.

The pharmacist refused on religious grounds. Fortunately, he was fired.

Does anyone else think that one person's religious beliefs should be able to override a prescription for someone else? I don't.

Pharmacist accused of denying woman prescription to end pregnancy

A doctor did an examination and prescribed a course of treatment.

The pharmacist is not privy to all the information that the doctor has. The pharmacist does not do an examination, nor can the pharmacist prescribe anything. The pharmacist’s judgement should be reserved to finding and preventing potential drug interactions and scheduling a reasonable pick-up time for the prescription.

I think he should be fired. Who is he to deny a doctors orders? What is religious about leaving a dead fetus in a body, anyways?
What a sick fuck!

Like the asshole who refused to serve Sarah Sanders? Close that bitch down!
You think that’s the same thing, you psychotic loon?

Indeed, it is not the same thing at all.

Sarah Sanders was not asking anyone to help her kill an innocent human being.
God almighty the baby was already dead!
Still in melt down, hag?
No bitch I am not! Ewe? Baaaaaaaa!

They need to have already stated their beliefs beforehand
I'm not sure that's the law, but you said you're only going by what you read. Can you show us where he DIDNT let his boss know this could be a problem (prescribing child killing medication)

Its early and I don't remember if this is the original article but this is what use found so far. Coincidentally the person HAD it filled at Walgreens where they turned away the OTHER PERSON. Haha

CVS fires Fountain Hills pharmacist who denied hormone prescription to transgender woman

I think he should be fired. Who is he to deny a doctors orders? What is religious about leaving a dead fetus in a body, anyways?
What a sick fuck!

I am not an Ob-gyn person-----but----I never heard of using a morning
after pill to expel an early dead fetus--- HOWEVER---I repeat IT's not
my field

Remember the pharmacy was out of the medication... Customer received text even before leaving store that Rx had been filled at Pharmacy at another location... What will you charge the Pharmacist with now? Doing his job?

3. That there were other pharmacists present who could have filled the prescription
This guy should never, ever have engaged this woman in any sort of personal conversation. He had no business asking her if she was pregnant or anything else. He had no business in introducing his beliefs into their conversation. This was entirely unprofessional.

Incidentally, all prescriptions come with an information sheet, which would have given her all the information she needed to know.
Every prescription I pick up I have to sign that I do not require counseling from the pharmacist!

Every prescription I pick up I have to sign that I do not require counseling from the pharmacist!

I nevah heard of that sort of thing----is it something-----like something new?

Forum List

Back