🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Women, Do You Make Your Husbands Do Their Own Laundry?

Should The Husband Be Expected To Do Chores?

• Total voters
I am currently engaged and this topic came up today when I was sorting laundry. Now, I believe in the idea that if somebody is able to do their own laundry then they should, so that's why I'm not going to do my man's laundry for him unless he's sick or he's busy doing other chores and asks me nicely to do it for him. Generally speaking I will expect him to pull his weight and do half of the work since it's the twenty-first century. Same with dishes and what not. What do you guys think?
In a healthy relationship, no one "makes" the other do anything. Each person should do what they are good at and like to do. The division of labor should not be determind by gender roles which are pretty much out the window anyway. My wife takes care of the family finances and I (a male)shop and cook. No angst, no problem. Relax. That is key to making it work

Any lifting/moving stuff is on me as my wife is a very small woman. My oldest son is getting big enough to do some of it. In fact, if he keeps going at his current rate, it's going to be a Clifford the Big Red Dog situation before long.

Last edited:
Patriarchal norms have worked very well in many places throughout the World for about 40 centuries. In many Muslim Nations, these norms were alive and well in the time of 2013 Pew poll.
gsi2-chp4-2.png

Nevertheless, now they are obsolete. Any norm based on personal servitude is obsolete.

Last edited:
I am currently engaged and this topic came up today when I was sorting laundry. Now, I believe in the idea that if somebody is able to do their own laundry then they should, so that's why I'm not going to do my man's laundry for him unless he's sick or he's busy doing other chores and asks me nicely to do it for him. Generally speaking I will expect him to pull his weight and do half of the work since it's the twenty-first century. Same with dishes and what not. What do you guys think?
Make me a Sammich!

Trying to make Men and women interchangeable on a Social/Cultural level is as silly as trying to make a square peg fit in a round hole.

Trying to define/establish social roles instead encouraging everyone to embrace the pursuit of excellence ...
And explore the heights of their aspirations, ambitions and capabilities is a sign of insecurity and the fear of incompetence ... :thup:

I said in the OP if you were capable of doing something you should do it.
You also said that you wouldn't be doing his laundry--so who gets first shot at the washer. Is it so small that none of your clothes are sorted along with his. Last I checked, whites are whites, blue jeans and socks are blue jeans and socks and colors are colors regardless of who wears them. You have delicates that require special handling--that's on you. You made a sexist thread out of this and my comment about whining about a non-issue stands. Quit being a Jenny-ass.

You also said that you wouldn't be doing his laundry--so who gets first shot at the washer. Is it so small that none of your clothes are sorted along with his. Last I checked, whites are whites, blue jeans and socks are blue jeans and socks and colors are colors regardless of who wears them. You have delicates that require special handling--that's on you. You made a sexist thread out of this and my comment about whining about a non-issue stands. Quit being a Jenny-ass.
NO!

Most Conservative Women believe in Gender Equality. Inequality should be opposed. Thomas Jefferson knew that All Humans are Created Equal -- sadly he did not practice what he preached.

Once again, Progressives stand for Gender Inequality to a much greater degree then anyone else.

Trying to define/establish social roles instead encouraging everyone to embrace the pursuit of excellence ...
And explore the heights of their aspirations, ambitions and capabilities is a sign of insecurity and the fear of incompetence
Call it whatever you want. It worked for thousands of years and we were far better off, at least as I see things, before we gave up on Traditional Values a century ago.

Call it whatever you want. It worked for thousands of years and we were far better off, at least as I see things, before we gave up on Traditional Values a century ago.
Perhaps it was the best arrangement in pre-Industrial World.

Then maybe we need to go back to a pre-industrial society… or at least seriously consider what it is we’ve lost versus what we’ve gained in that transition.
Your marriage arrangements work for you and your wife. That's great, and I'm glad for you.

But insisting they'll work for everyone is silly. My wife is disabled. My elderly mother-in-law, who lives with us, is disabled. My youngest daughter, who lives with is, is autistic.

If I have to depend on the wimminfolk in my house to cook and clean, I'd starve in dirty clothes and a filthy house.

NO!

Most Conservative Women believe in Gender Equality. Inequality should be opposed. Thomas Jefferson knew that All Humans are Created Equal -- sadly he did not practice what he preached.

Once again, Progressives stand for Gender Inequality to a much greater degree then anyone else.
Don't get your panties in a twist and lighten up--it's Christmas. My spouse and I have been together non-stop for 48 years and except for a couple of occasions she has done the laundry exclusively. We separate our jobs equally. When you pick one job and try to make it about sexual equality you are being shallow. If your relationship hinges on this type of crap, it ain't much of a relationship.

My wife makes a home for me and the children, which means she manages its affairs, including its finances. I'm a chauvinist pig. I eat meat and potatoes. I scratch my arse. I burp and fart at will. I am beloved.

Your marriage arrangements work for you and your wife. That's great, and I'm glad for you.

But insisting they'll work for everyone is silly.
Thank you. It works for us as it has worked for generations before us. I’m sorry to hear about the troubles your family has had to deal with.

Obviously not everyone is cut out for Traditional married life. I think we would be better off if they stayed single, but I obviously have no power to enforce that. Even if I think Society should.

Don't get your panties in a twist and lighten up--it's Christmas. My spouse and I have been together non-stop for 48 years and except for a couple of occasions she has done the laundry exclusively. We separate our jobs equally. When you pick one job and try to make it about sexual equality you are being shallow. If your relationship hinges on this type of crap, it ain't much of a relationship.

Whatever works for you might not work for somebody else. And you're right it's Christmas,.. so just calm down. My thread wasn't sexist until you made it appear that you thought that women should be the ones to do the laundry no matter what because it was their place so to speak.

Only now have you clarified what you actually meant by it. Oh and one of the reasons I fell in love with my man in the first place is because he understood that a relationship should have shared responsibilities from day one and that's the only reason why I said I would have second thoughts about marrying him if I even remotely thought he were like that since that's not the man I fell in love with.

Forum List

Back