🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Women, Do You Make Your Husbands Do Their Own Laundry?

Should The Husband Be Expected To Do Chores?

• Total voters
Then maybe we need to go back to a pre-industrial society… or at least seriously consider what it is we’ve lost versus what we’ve gained in that transition.
Pre-Industrial life was extremely poor and miserable.

Hierarchy was a necessity.

Slavery was evil even then.

We made a deal. If I let him do his own laundry, he had to agree to stay the hell out of the kitchen.

To cook or to eat? *Pictures a lock on top of the refrigerator*
I believe your opening post said something along the lines of You won't do "your" man's laundry unless he was sick AND asked you nicely. I don't see that as being anything other than looking for a reason to refuse. My wife doesn't have to ask me to go out and cut and split firewood. It is part of the separation of household chores for a common good. If she was to nitpick the question of whose job it is to do laundry--we would either both be cold or, more likely, we wouldn't have stayed together for 48 years.

And then I changed it to saying it's better if we take turns. Honestly! Does it really matter how I choose to live my personal life? What's more important? To have us both taking turns at laundry or the fact that neither one of us can stand Biden? It's a silly petty argument if you ask me.

all I'm asking is for him to do half the work. I don't really see how that's an issue.
I wouldn't think you would with the way you presented this thread. If you have an issue with "your" man and perceive that he is not doing his share, that is between you and him. When you present a question about "making" someone do a task and asking for support from strangers--your relationship is in trouble. Strong relationships are not built on "MAKING" anyone do anything. It is done for the common good.

To cook or to eat? *Pictures a lock on top of the refrigerator*

And then I changed it to saying it's better if we take turns. Honestly! Does it really matter how I choose to live my personal life? What's more important? To have us both taking turns at laundry or the fact that neither one of us can stand Biden? It's a silly petty argument if you ask me.
LOL!! I didn't care if he cooked or ate in the kitchen. I just never wanted him doing dishes. If he did, everything stayed greasy and I could never find a dish or utensil I needed. Nothing ever in the right place. Or even in the same wrong place twice. Drove me nuts!

I am currently engaged and this topic came up today when I was sorting laundry. Now, I believe in the idea that if somebody is able to do their own laundry then they should, so that's why I'm not going to do my man's laundry for him unless he's sick or he's busy doing other chores and asks me nicely to do it for him. Generally speaking I will expect him to pull his weight and do half of the work since it's the twenty-first century. Same with dishes and what not. What do you guys think?
Just curious - does he pay more than half of the bills?

Pre-Industrial life was extremely poor and miserable.
Yes it was. Our societal construct was different pre-60s. One income families were the norm. When both sides of the relationship entered the workforce it had an extreme effect on relational dynamics. Part of the problem with today's society is they fail to realize that those times were totally different than the dynamics we see today but they want to assign what happened under those previous constructs to current times. It doesn't work that way anymore than modern day black people trying to claim that what their ancestors experienced 150 years ago has an effect on their lives today.

Do you mow, snowplow, repair vehicles, repair appliances, paint, remove moss from roofs, cut and split wood, to name just a few of the tasks that my lovely wife does not do. Quit whining.

You do realize that not everyone has those chores to do, right? Personally, I live in an apartment with no yard, in Phoenix with no snow, have a mechanic do most of my auto repairs, the maintenance people repair the appliances (since they belong to the apartment), moss doesn't grow here unless you deliberately make it, and I have no use for wood.

I am currently engaged and this topic came up today when I was sorting laundry. Now, I believe in the idea that if somebody is able to do their own laundry then they should, so that's why I'm not going to do my man's laundry for him unless he's sick or he's busy doing other chores and asks me nicely to do it for him. Generally speaking I will expect him to pull his weight and do half of the work since it's the twenty-first century. Same with dishes and what not. What do you guys think?
Today's washers and dryers are so easy to use that I almost always do the laundry.
If I'm not going to be within earshot of when the washer or dryer are going to complete their cycle, I set my phone alarm.

Of course, if one partner is unemployed,

What else is there? My mother never worked, she would work only over my father's dead body, and my wife never worked. So the entire question is moot, contingent upon the couple's individual circumstances. Guys used to have pride in being the breadwinner. Of course, thanks to the Left, a lot of couples now need both parents working just to make ends meet, even if they have children.

You do realize that not everyone has those chores to do, right? Personally, I live in an apartment with no yard, in Phoenix with no snow, have a mechanic do most of my auto repairs, the maintenance people repair the appliances (since they belong to the apartment), moss doesn't grow here unless you deliberately make it, and I have no use for wood.
Yeah, I left that hell hole in 1968--don't miss a thing about it. Went to high school at a school on 7th St. and Van Buren--Phoenix Union (doesn't exist anymore). We lived in Maryvale near 51st Av. and Thomas before it turned into a dump. Went to grade school at Sunset, Cartwright and Harrison. I like my current location and situation much better.

Any lifting/moving stuff is on me as my wife is a very small woman. My oldest son is getting big enough to do some of it. In fact, if he keeps going at his current rate, it's going to be a Clifford the Big Red Dog situation before long.

I was so proud when we moved last summer. My husband and oldest son did the majority of the furniture, but then the hubby had to get back to work because he only had a couple of days off available to use. The rest of the moving fell largely to me and the boys. In 120-degree heat. I overheard my boys talking to each other about how they needed to work together to take most of the work on themselves so I wouldn't have to. My older son explained to his little brother that "that's what men do, protect their women." Those two worked like Trojans, lifting and toting so that I could concentrate on cleaning the old house to get the deposit back.

I was so proud when we moved last summer. My husband and oldest son did the majority of the furniture, but then the hubby had to get back to work because he only had a couple of days off available to use. The rest of the moving fell largely to me and the boys. In 120-degree heat. I overheard my boys talking to each other about how they needed to work together to take most of the work on themselves so I wouldn't have to. My older son explained to his little brother that "that's what men do, protect their women." Those two worked like Trojans, lifting and toting so that I could concentrate on cleaning the old house to get the deposit back.
Good people raise good kids. :)

Forum List

Back