🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Women, Do You Make Your Husbands Do Their Own Laundry?

Should The Husband Be Expected To Do Chores?

• Total voters
Don't get your panties in a twist and lighten up--it's Christmas. My spouse and I have been together non-stop for 48 years and except for a couple of occasions she has done the laundry exclusively. We separate our jobs equally. When you pick one job and try to make it about sexual equality you are being shallow. If your relationship hinges on this type of crap, it ain't much of a relationship.

'Tis true. My marriage isn't a negotiation or a competition. We're a team. And I like doing things for him, just as he likes doing things for me.

My wife makes a home for me and the children, which means she manages its affairs, including its finances. I'm a chauvinist pig. I eat meat and potatoes. I scratch my arse. I burp and fart at will. I am beloved.

I do manage the finances, because I'm naturally more frugal than Joe is, but big expenditures and long-term goals and plans are a team decision. And there are occasions when he overrules my frugality and says, "We're going to go ahead and do this."

Yeah, I left that hell hole in 1968--don't miss a thing about it. Went to high school at a school on 7th St. and Van Buren--Phoenix Union (doesn't exist anymore). We lived in Maryvale near 51st Av. and Thomas before it turned into a dump. Went to grade school at Sunset, Cartwright and Harrison. I like my current location and situation much better.

I love Phoenix. But you're correct about Maryvale. The majority of it is now lower-income/poor. It shows.

I am currently engaged and this topic came up today when I was sorting laundry. Now, I believe in the idea that if somebody is able to do their own laundry then they should, so that's why I'm not going to do my man's laundry for him unless he's sick or he's busy doing other chores and asks me nicely to do it for him. Generally speaking I will expect him to pull his weight and do half of the work since it's the twenty-first century. Same with dishes and what not. What do you guys think?

I bet Joe Biden doesn't know how to either.
Of course, it's only because you are a political moron.

Well, I'm not romantically interested in you anyways so we're good.

No,.. my point is that everybody needs to help out in some way, shape, or form in my household and I already said that it's better if we share the laundry instead along with other chores.
Anyone else think this poster is using threads like this to pretend to have some kind of normal life while still slipping in those middle school snipes?

Take the bait of what exactly? All it's asking is if people believe in the traditional way of women doing the laundry or if a couple should share the responsibility. I'm just not the kind of person where I'm going to be waiting on my man hand and foot and all I'm asking is for him to do half the work. I don't really see how that's an issue.

I'm a little concerned about your perspective on this, to tell the truth.

Couples should certainly share the responsibilities in the family, but that doesn't necessarily mean trying to keep track of an exact 50/50 of each chore. It can as easily mean that each person has a sphere of responsibility they take on, which was actually the case in the traditional gender roles you seem rather disdainful of. I also really worry that you're already viewing doing things for your future husband as "waiting on him hand and foot". That sort of mindset can lead to a lot of unnecessary friction and resentment down the road.

Did they actually want to and volunteer to? That's the question.

Want to and volunteer to? That's an odd way to view household chores. I don't WANT to do any of them. I do, however, want them to be done, so I suck it up and do shit I don't like so that we don't live in a pigsty. Likewise, I'm pretty sure my husband doesn't much want to have to change the oil on the car or replace burned out headlights, but he DOES want the car to keep running and not get ticketed.

In our younger days, when my wife wasn't working, she'd keep house spotlessly, and I'd come home to a delicious meal every day.

She can't do that now, so I do. It makes for long days, doing housework when I come home from work. But my efforts are appreciated.

Like I said, you take care of family.

I seem to recall something about that in the wedding vows, now that I think on it.

Simple, it's the same thing that you expect from your children,.. be responsible for yourself or there will be consequences for your actions. Children are grounded and have their toys and special privileges taken away, men are sent to the sofa.

Excuse me? The same as children? My husband is not my child. I do not give him orders and punish him for disobeying. I'm his wife, not his mommy. And I can't even imagine trying to tell my husband he can't sleep in his bed in his bedroom. I imagine it would start with the response, "Fuck that", and go downhill from there, though.

To cook or to eat? *Pictures a lock on top of the refrigerator*

And then I changed it to saying it's better if we take turns. Honestly! Does it really matter how I choose to live my personal life? What's more important? To have us both taking turns at laundry or the fact that neither one of us can stand Biden? It's a silly petty argument if you ask me.

You'd be surprised how those "silly, petty arguments" become nasty sore points that turn into major relationship obstacles down the road.

LOL!! I didn't care if he cooked or ate in the kitchen. I just never wanted him doing dishes. If he did, everything stayed greasy and I could never find a dish or utensil I needed. Nothing ever in the right place. Or even in the same wrong place twice. Drove me nuts!

Oh, my God, my husband rearranged my kitchen while I was in the hospital after our first son was born. I flipped out.

I wouldn't think you would with the way you presented this thread. If you have an issue with "your" man and perceive that he is not doing his share, that is between you and him. When you present a question about "making" someone do a task and asking for support from strangers--your relationship is in trouble. Strong relationships are not built on "MAKING" anyone do anything. It is done for the common good.

Yeah, maybe making was the wrong word I have to admit,.. but all I meant was having him pitch in and do the share of the chores.

Just curious - does he pay more than half of the bills?

We're engaged. We're not out on our own yet.

I'll direct your attention to the OP title "WOMEN, Do You MAKE YOUR husband" Do you honestly not see anything sexist in that? My goodness, the fact that you are asking women exclusively is sexist.

Now you're just being ridiculous. :rolleyes:

i'll trade ya for that midnight diaper change.....

~S~

Lol we don't even have kids yet. :badgrin:

I'm a little concerned about your perspective on this, to tell the truth.

Couples should certainly share the responsibilities in the family, but that doesn't necessarily mean trying to keep track of an exact 50/50 of each chore. It can as easily mean that each person has a sphere of responsibility they take on, which was actually the case in the traditional gender roles you seem rather disdainful of. I also really worry that you're already viewing doing things for your future husband as "waiting on him hand and foot". That sort of mindset can lead to a lot of unnecessary friction and resentment down the road.

I'm not really sure what you're getting at but I'm still going to do things for him,.. I'm just not going to do everything for him is all.

Excuse me? The same as children? My husband is not my child.

I mean in the sense that they both have responsibilities and getting angry with one another and sending a partner to sleep on the couch after a fight is a pretty common thing. Not that I expect that will happen of course because like I already said before we're both on the same page about sharing responsibilities.

You'd be surprised how those "silly, petty arguments" become nasty sore points that turn into major relationship obstacles down the road.

True, but I don't think that can happen when you're already both in agreement about something.

Forum List

Back