Women should dress modestly or expect to 'entice a rapist...'

The sad thing is that you will teach people that a woman can prevent rape by modifying her appearance while history shows that that is not the case.

He has not said that attire will "prevent" rape, that is just your warped interpretation.
What he and others have been saying, is that dressing provocatively can draw the kind of attention you may not want. Not guaranteed to get attention, but it can.

WHY IS THIS SO FUCKING HARD FOR YOU GUYS ?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is something about this topic that invites people to abandon common sense and the simple application of caution they would recognition in any other context. And only in the instance of rape prevention have some laughably claimed that taking precautions is 'excusing' lawbreakers.

Oddly, no one insists you're 'excusing burglars' if you lock your doors at night. Or 'excusing muggers' if you look over your shoulder in a dark alley.
They have to know at some level. It's fascinating to observe, but you can't communicate with people who refuse to be honest.

I said this in post 333: "There is rape -- which, as I understand it, is essentially as it is portrayed by those here who are against what Hynde said -- and then there is the relatively long list of bad stuff that can happen when a guy gets too drunk and excited and horny -- some of which, by the way, could be construed as rape by some."

These people are choosing to remain locked in this binary argument: There is only one kind of rape, there is only one kind of rapist, rape only happens for one reason, there is only one environment in which an act can be interpreted as rape, rape only has one meaning every time. They leave no room for gray area or interpretation, which is precisely what would be needed in the real world if a young lady brought a rape charge. They are being absolutely absolutist. It's like trying to discuss taxes with a Tea Partier.

It amazes me, how similar the two ends are. I don't know how to deal with absolutists.

They have to know better, they're doing this on purpose, they're not being honest. Par for the course for the PC Police.

No, what people are trying to explain to you is that it does not matter WHAT THE HECK you are wearing. You will STILL get raped if there is a rapist in the room who decides he wants to rape you. It could be your hair color, your perfume, that you remind him of someone, etc., etc., etc.

So, women should no longer wear sexy clothes because we should fear that this would cause us to be raped??? That's ridiculous.

Ok, there's a rapist in the room. You're wearing a very short skirt and sheer blouse that exposes a very sexy bra. You act flirty and are drinking.
There's another woman in the room with very conservative attire and is speaking and acting in a very conservative and modest fashion.

Both leave the room and go their separate ways.

Who is the rapist more likely to follow ?

A rapist would sometimes probably AVOID the loud-mouthed drunk girl who is making a scene. The quiet demure shy woman might be the bigger turn on for HIM. Rape is USUALLY a crime of opportunity. They really are NOT that choosy in most instances. They are seeking out a VICTIM.

They have to know at some level. It's fascinating to observe, but you can't communicate with people who refuse to be honest.

I said this in post 333: "There is rape -- which, as I understand it, is essentially as it is portrayed by those here who are against what Hynde said -- and then there is the relatively long list of bad stuff that can happen when a guy gets too drunk and excited and horny -- some of which, by the way, could be construed as rape by some."

These people are choosing to remain locked in this binary argument: There is only one kind of rape, there is only one kind of rapist, rape only happens for one reason, there is only one environment in which an act can be interpreted as rape, rape only has one meaning every time. They leave no room for gray area or interpretation, which is precisely what would be needed in the real world if a young lady brought a rape charge. They are being absolutely absolutist. It's like trying to discuss taxes with a Tea Partier.

It amazes me, how similar the two ends are. I don't know how to deal with absolutists.

They have to know better, they're doing this on purpose, they're not being honest. Par for the course for the PC Police.

No, what people are trying to explain to you is that it does not matter WHAT THE HECK you are wearing. You will STILL get raped if there is a rapist in the room who decides he wants to rape you. It could be your hair color, your perfume, that you remind him of someone, etc., etc., etc.

So, women should no longer wear sexy clothes because we should fear that this would cause us to be raped??? That's ridiculous.

Ok, there's a rapist in the room. You're wearing a very short skirt and sheer blouse that exposes a very sexy bra. You act flirty and are drinking.
There's another woman in the room with very conservative attire and is speaking and acting in a very conservative and modest fashion.

It depends on what the rapist prefers. Some would think it is more FUN to rape the more conservative woman.

Come on, be honest, in most cases the rapist is more likely to be aroused by the first woman.

By the way, what is the statement you are trying to make with your avatar ?

Why does my avatar have to be making a statement? It's just a picture of me that I liked, but I can tell you this much, it's not "I want to be raped."

It's a sexy pose. What are you trying to attract ?

He has not said that attire will "prevent" rape, that is just your warped interpretation.
What he and others have been saying, is that dressing provocatively can draw the kind of attention you may not want. Not guaranteed to get attention, but it can.

There is something about this topic that invites people to abandon common sense and the simple application of caution they would recognition in any other context. And only in the instance of rape prevention have some laughably claimed that taking precautions is 'excusing' lawbreakers.

Oddly, no one insists you're 'excusing burglars' if you lock your doors at night. Or 'excusing muggers' if you look over your shoulder in a dark alley.

A rapist would sometimes probably AVOID the loud-mouthed drunk girl who is making a scene. The quiet demure shy woman might be the bigger turn on for HIM. Rape is USUALLY a crime of opportunity. They really are NOT that choosy in most instances. They are seeking out a VICTIM.

The provocatively dressed woman will get more attention from someone seeking sexual gratification.

It depends on what the rapist prefers. Some would think it is more FUN to rape the more conservative woman.

Come on, be honest, in most cases the rapist is more likely to be aroused by the first woman.

Why does my avatar have to be making a statement? It's just a picture of me that I liked, but I can tell you this much, it's not "I want to be raped."

This thread is NOT about my avatar. :D

The provocatively dressed woman will get more attention from someone seeking sexual gratification.

Yes, the normal men will be paying more attention to the sexy girl and maybe hope to get lucky. Rapists are NOT normal men. They are sick and twisted individuals.

Exactly!

Good Lord! It's not like you can see ANYTHING. I'm a single lady. There is nothing wrong with wanting to attract a little bit of attention from the opposite sex. That certainly doesn't mean a woman WANTS to be raped, silly. I can guarantee that most single women do the same. :)

Out of curiosity, how old are you, if you don't mind my asking. I have a feeling that sometimes the older generations of people have more of an "aversion" to sexy clothes and younger people in general.

You seem to spend a great deal of effort putting words in my mouth.

That's okay sweetie, I know how you folks are.
The sad thing is that you will teach people that a woman can prevent rape by modifying her appearance while history shows that that is not the case.

Absolutism, just as I described. You're pretending that rape happens in only one way, period, that's it.

Absolutism, just as I described. One way, period.

One way? No. Like I told you, there is no way of KNOWING what is going to turn on a rapist. You might as well tell women to not leave their homes for fear they might be raped!!!

You MUST understand. When a rapist looks at an attractive woman, he doesn't want to make sweet love to her . . . He HATES women. He wants to hurt her, humiliate her and make her PAY for being a woman. Rape normally has nothing to do with the clothing you are wearing.

Also, a lot of times a rapist would avoid a woman who shows any kind of self confidence. They want an EASY victim.

You MUST understand. When a rapist looks at an attractive woman, he doesn't want to make sweet love to her . . . He HATES women. He wants to hurt her, humiliate her and make her PAY for being a woman. Rape normally has nothing to do with the clothing you are wearing.

Also, a lot of times a rapist would avoid a woman who shows any kind of self confidence. They want an EASY victim.
John and Sue are physically attracted to each other and have sex.

A week later, John is arrested for rape.

Was it rape? Could it not have been rape because he was attracted to her?

What??? Don't go getting all crazy on us now. :rolleyes-41: That was just stupid.

What??? Don't go getting all crazy on us now. :rolleyes-41: That was just stupid.
What? You're saying that doesn't happen? Really?

Why do you think men rape drunk women? Is it because they look so sexy all drunk and slobbering all over themselves? NO! It is because they are an EASY target. They aren't going to be putting up much of a fight.

And again, we agree. Many men feel that a woman who would go out of their way to dress seductively are easy.

Thinking a woman is "easy" and raping her are two completely different things. Your statements are beginning to get more and MORE ridiculous.

And again, we agree. Many men feel that a woman who would go out of their way to dress seductively are easy.

Thinking a woman is "easy" and raping her are two completely different things. Your statements are beginning to get more and MORE ridiculous.
You're just not being honest.

Rape isn't black and white. The two people involved can have different opinions, and it happens all the time.

Admit it or not, this is (sadly) a gray area.

Forum List

Back