workers see highest pay raise in nearly a decade

Bragging about a 2.8% increase in salaries

Unemployment is at 3.8 percent, employers just got close to a 50 percent cut in their taxes. All that can trickle down to workers is 2.8 percent.
After sitting on stagnant wages for a decade employees are supposed to celebrate 2.8 percent?
If that happened while obama was president, you would be tripping over yourself. To come out bragging.
and the right would be minimizing it as well.

You talk about me not answering your question? What about the one I asked you about tariffs affecting your ""huge"" pay raises ,,,,and in answer Yes I did think they were more than unfair blaming Obama and never giving credit
i have no idea how they effect things. you're asking me to hate cause you do in this instance because do you fully understand the tariffs trump is changing and fighting to have in place? how it effects the individual businesses at play like the steel industry? how that filters down to consumer goods?

i'm not embarrassed to say i don't know. if you know please explain the correlation between the 2.8% wage increase and how tariffs effect it and i'll listen. as it stands you shouted BUT TARIFFS and didn't quantify your point so i have no idea if *you* understand or are just doing your usual drive-bys to ensure we know you hate trump and whatever he did last night was bullshit.

so i can't answer that question and i rely on nightwish and people who talk evenly and as unbiased as anyone can anymore to tell me info so i can learn. thats one reason i love to come into these forums and honestly don't enjoy the FUCK YOU NO FUCK YOU convos that dominate in here.

is that a fair answer for you?

now - thank you. i would agree those people were being extreme and unreasonable. for awhile i was one that also looked for the worst in obama regardless of what he did. he had an angle, he had a hidden motive, he's lying - all that you do to trump i did to obama for awhile til i saw it went nowhere and honestly, it's impossible for someone to be 100% wrong ALL THE TIME. so i backed off my hatewagon for a bit and tried to see things others were seeing. i wasn't always successful but i was trying.

now, i put those who do TRUMP SUCKS into the same useless category. if you felt it being done to obama was stupid i fail to see how stupid actions become smart simply because you're the one now doing them.
LOL well maybe I'll follow your example in time, and back off my hatewagon for a bit and once more I love him bringing big corps money back home Obama tried Repubs told him shove it
And ice ,,how many CEO's economists on limbs far higher than you and I say tariffs are NOT a good thing for Trump to be instituting now?
dunno. how many?
Come on don't act dumb You're far better than that ,,,Many ,all day long on TV in the papers ,smart men and ladies with great reputations
i don't have the time to get this deep into all the conversations going on over this and other topics. thats why i come in here.

so do you or do you not know the answer to your own question?

Absolutely
With unemployment slowly dropping from ten percent, employers held all the cards. Sorry, no pay increases this year....how about we enroll you in the jelly of the month club?
again - if 2.8% is crumbs, how was it the 10 years before? not trying to start an argument or slam anyone but understand. we keep harping on 2.8 being bad but if this is the highest it's been in 10 years, what was it during those 10 years? jelly or not.
The last ten years was hell for workers.
Employers want to maintain that as long as possible

I have been in the workforce 40 years and recently retired. I know what raises look like. I saw good times and bad times. Most of my career, 4 percent was fairly common.

That is why I can’t get a hard on over a 2.8 percent increase in a strong economy
yea, i've seen 10%+ to nothing at all from the same job, same role. retirement i think is getting further and further away for many of us, that's for sure.
I think, based on the strength of the economy and time since the last raise, workers should be seeing a 6-7 percent spike

Didn’t happen
well give this is the highest in 10 years i do think it's at least holding its own. hopefully we can see even higher returns and maybe a return to the chart you showed last post. at least it's trending back up.

sue me - i look for the positives even in turd piles sometimes. :)
My problem is that I think this may be as good as it gets

Employers saw an almost 50 percent tax cut. Unemployment dropped below 4 percent

Perfect time to give out big pay raises. They got away with 2.8 percent

again - if 2.8% is crumbs, how was it the 10 years before? not trying to start an argument or slam anyone but understand. we keep harping on 2.8 being bad but if this is the highest it's been in 10 years, what was it during those 10 years? jelly or not.
The last ten years was hell for workers.
Employers want to maintain that as long as possible

I have been in the workforce 40 years and recently retired. I know what raises look like. I saw good times and bad times. Most of my career, 4 percent was fairly common.

That is why I can’t get a hard on over a 2.8 percent increase in a strong economy
yea, i've seen 10%+ to nothing at all from the same job, same role. retirement i think is getting further and further away for many of us, that's for sure.
I think, based on the strength of the economy and time since the last raise, workers should be seeing a 6-7 percent spike

Didn’t happen
well give this is the highest in 10 years i do think it's at least holding its own. hopefully we can see even higher returns and maybe a return to the chart you showed last post. at least it's trending back up.

sue me - i look for the positives even in turd piles sometimes. :)
My problem is that I think this may be as good as it gets

Employers saw an almost 50 percent tax cut. Unemployment dropped below 4 percent

Perfect time to give out big pay raises. They got away with 2.8 percent
maybe. only time will really be sure.

Unemployment is at 3.8 percent, employers just got close to a 50 percent cut in their taxes. All that can trickle down to workers is 2.8 percent.
After sitting on stagnant wages for a decade employees are supposed to celebrate 2.8 percent?
If that happened while obama was president, you would be tripping over yourself. To come out bragging.
I hardly celebrated wage increases under Obama
I saw workers make concessions
I saw bailouts and nothing went to employees
I saw the stock market boom
I saw executive pay go through the roof
I saw unemployment drop from 10 to 5 percent

Workers were told...be patient, raises will come
They haven’t.

i have no idea how they effect things. you're asking me to hate cause you do in this instance because do you fully understand the tariffs trump is changing and fighting to have in place? how it effects the individual businesses at play like the steel industry? how that filters down to consumer goods?

i'm not embarrassed to say i don't know. if you know please explain the correlation between the 2.8% wage increase and how tariffs effect it and i'll listen. as it stands you shouted BUT TARIFFS and didn't quantify your point so i have no idea if *you* understand or are just doing your usual drive-bys to ensure we know you hate trump and whatever he did last night was bullshit.

so i can't answer that question and i rely on nightwish and people who talk evenly and as unbiased as anyone can anymore to tell me info so i can learn. thats one reason i love to come into these forums and honestly don't enjoy the FUCK YOU NO FUCK YOU convos that dominate in here.

is that a fair answer for you?

now - thank you. i would agree those people were being extreme and unreasonable. for awhile i was one that also looked for the worst in obama regardless of what he did. he had an angle, he had a hidden motive, he's lying - all that you do to trump i did to obama for awhile til i saw it went nowhere and honestly, it's impossible for someone to be 100% wrong ALL THE TIME. so i backed off my hatewagon for a bit and tried to see things others were seeing. i wasn't always successful but i was trying.

now, i put those who do TRUMP SUCKS into the same useless category. if you felt it being done to obama was stupid i fail to see how stupid actions become smart simply because you're the one now doing them.
LOL well maybe I'll follow your example in time, and back off my hatewagon for a bit and once more I love him bringing big corps money back home Obama tried Repubs told him shove it
And ice ,,how many CEO's economists on limbs far higher than you and I say tariffs are NOT a good thing for Trump to be instituting now?
dunno. how many?
Come on don't act dumb You're far better than that ,,,Many ,all day long on TV in the papers ,smart men and ladies with great reputations
i don't have the time to get this deep into all the conversations going on over this and other topics. thats why i come in here.

No but I've heard many ,,,,and any person not blind or deaf would have heard them too Maybe you can remember what happened the last time we had a tariff war?

dunno. how many?

No but I've heard many ,,,,and any person not blind or deaf would have heard them too Maybe you can remember what happened the last time we had a tariff war?
do you want to talk about issues, eddie, or bat a ball back and forth with nothing being resolved? let me know now cause if this is just a one way street to you being right i'm gonna stop the bus and walk elsewhere now.

dunno. how many?

Try working backwards on this one ….

Do you agree with all/most/some of the grievances that President Twitter has expressed regarding terms of trade with the trading partners he's targeted with tariffs ?

U.S. Workers Get Biggest Pay Increase in Nearly a Decade

not too long ago there were anti-trump posts talking about how wages have not increased.

gonna need to redo that occupydemocrats.org powerpoint slide now.

So?

Sure, average pay rise over the last 12 months was 2.8%.

But the inflation rate is now up to 2.9%.

US Inflation Rate at 2.9% in June, Highest in 6 Years - Live Trading News

And it has risen over 70% in the last year.

United States Inflation Rate | 1914-2018 | Data | Chart | Calendar

That means the average pay rise is NOT keeping pace with inflation.

That is BAD news.
i never said it was keeping up and i never again said this was the coup de grace as people are trying to make it out to be. it's a positive step i hope we continue. if you and others insist on whipping your dicks out and peeing on the parade, go ahead. but it speaks more of you than us.

I did not say you said it was keeping up. And I am not 'pissing' on anything...that fact you look at the posting of statistics and commenting on those stats is 'pissing' on them shows your bias.
I welcome all statistics. But you only seem to welcome those which are 'good news' and 'happy'.

One must keep an open mind about the economy at all times - that is why I am an independent. I am simply pointing out facts and commenting on those facts.

The fact is that - according to government statistics - the inflation rate is rising faster than average American wages.

That is bad news...I don't anyone who is sane and understands macroeconomics who would assume it was not.

not too long ago there were anti-trump posts talking about how wages have not increased.

So?

That is BAD news.
i never said it was keeping up and i never again said this was the coup de grace as people are trying to make it out to be. it's a positive step i hope we continue. if you and others insist on whipping your dicks out and peeing on the parade, go ahead. but it speaks more of you than us.

I did not say you said it was keeping up. And I am not 'pissing' on anything...that fact you look at the posting of statistics and commenting on those stats is 'pissing' on them shows your bias.
I welcome all statistics. But you only seem to welcome those which are 'good news' and 'happy'.

One must keep an open mind about the economy at all times - that is why I am an independent. I am simply pointing out facts and commenting on those facts.

The fact is that - according to government statistics - the inflation rate is rising faster than average American wages.

That is bad news...I don't anyone who is sane and understands macroeconomics who would assume it was not.
and i think my listening to others viewpoints on this and appreciating them says otherwise.

have a day.

Well I got a nice pay raise. New businesses are opening up around me and people are hiring all over the place.

Sure hope it keeps going.
I am getting a pay raise at UPS too. UPS is now hiring like crazy because they are actually paying their lower end employees a decent starting wage instead of just relying on free college(which is still awesome, but not good enough for older people) to lure them in.

These idiots are going to have #walkaway and a bullet train economy to fight. I feel sorry for them.

dunno. how many?

do you want to talk about issues, eddie, or bat a ball back and forth with nothing being resolved? let me know now cause if this is just a one way street to you being right i'm gonna stop the bus and walk elsewhere now.
Tariffs a dead end

The last American 'trade war' didn't work out so great

By Chris Cillizza, CNN Editor-at-large

Updated 9:37 AM ET, Fri July 6, 2018

video_pinned_white_bg.jpg

• [paste:font size="5"]

View attachment 207962

This is what a trade war looks like[/paste:font]

New tariffs could increase price of beer
View attachment 207963

White House announces tariffs on US allies
View attachment 207964

Watch what Trudeau said that made Trump angry

Trump on Trudeau: Very dishonest and weak

Trudeau says retaliation against US necessary

NAFTA explained

Schultz: Tariffs on China won't help US jobs
180301125503-trump-aluminum-steel-tariffs-sot-00000000-small-169.jpg

Trump: You don't have a country without steel
180725164321-trump-eu-presser-small-169.jpg

Trump: Working toward zero tariffs with EU
180621132157-mn-soybeans-small-169.jpg

Trump's trade war threatens Midwest farmers
180404171152-us-china-soybeans-small-169.jpg

China is hitting the US where it hurts: Soybeans
Can the US win a trade war with China?

China is killing my business. Now tariffs are too

CNN analyst: US allies are freaked out

Trump has 'terrible' phone call with Macron

This is what a trade war looks like

NAFTA explained

[paste:font size="4"]"the biggest trade war in economic history." Trump has promised to impose $16 billion in further China tariffs later this summer and has openly speculated about tariffs totaling hundreds of millions of dollars before all is said and done.

What's the theory behind Trump's case? And what's the history of starting just these sort of trade wars? A few months back I reached out to Patrick Gillespie, an economics reporter for CNNMoney, to get some answers.
Our conversation, conducted via email and lightly edited for context, is below.
Cillizza: Let's start with Trump's tweet that "trade wars are good, and easy to win." How much basis in fact is there for that claim?

Gillespie: America's last trade war exacerbated the Great Depression in the 1930s, when unemployment rose to 25%. Claiming it was protecting American jobs, Congress passed the Smoot-Hawley Act in 1930. The original bill was meant to protect farmers. But to build political support, many lawmakers asked for tariffs -- or taxes -- on all sorts of goods in exchange for their vote.
Several nations, such as Canada, slapped steep tariffs -- or taxes -- on US goods shipped and sold abroad. For example, US exports of eggs to Canada fell to 7,900 in 1932 from 919,000 in 1929, according to Doug Irwin, a Dartmouth professor and former trade adviser to President Reagan.
The result: US imports fell 40% in the two years after Smoot-Hawley. Banks shuttered. Unemployment shot up. Surely, there were a litany of factors at play. But economists widely agree Smoot-Hawley made the Great Depression much worse than otherwise.
In 2016, I asked Trump's trade adviser Peter Navarro whether Trump's trade policies would start a trade war akin to Smoot-Hawley. He told me "there are no similarities at all." He added that Smoot-Hawley was a "protectionist" tariff -- that is, it fired the first shot in the war. Navarro argued that trade has been unfair for decades. Trump's tariffs would be "defensive."
A good gut check came from New York Federal Reserve President William Dudley -- currently the No. 2 in rank at America's central bank. In a Thursday speech (before Trump's tariffs), Dudley said tariffs and other trade barriers are a "dead end" and "destructive."
Cillizza: Trump's decision on steel and aluminum tariffs seem to catch his administration by surprise. Why?
Gillespie: Trump's rhetoric on trade has been mainly pointed toward China. But these tariffs would hit our top allies harder than China. A key part of the surprise is that Trump made no reference to something called exemptions. Usually in a trade measure like this, the US president would announce the tariffs, but say they don't apply to Canada, Mexico and other allies. But as of now, no countries have been exempted from the tariffs. President George W. Bush last applied sweeping steel tariffs in 2002, but he exempted Canada and Mexico because the US has a critical trade agreement with them, NAFTA. (Those tariffs were dropped a year later when the World Trade Organization ruled them illegal.)

So?

That is BAD news.

and i think my listening to others viewpoints on this and appreciating them says otherwise.

have a day.
CNN Poll: Americans don't support Trump's tariffs or foreign policy ...
CNN Poll: Americans don't support Trump's tariffs or foreign policy - CNNPolitics
Jun 21, 2018 - Six-in-10 Americans would rather maintain good relationships with countries that have been close allies to the US than impose tariffs to protect ...

Poll: Few voters think tariffs will help U.S. economy - POLITICO
Poll: Few voters think tariffs will help U.S. economy
Jun 6, 2018 - Voters are split on imposing tariffs on steel and aluminum imported from the European Union, Canada and Mexico, according to a new POLITICO/Morning Consult poll. ... The Trump administration announced last Thursday that it would impose a 10 percent tariff on aluminum and a 25 percent ...

Poll: Voters don't agree with Trump's focus on tariffs - Politico
Poll: Voters don't agree with Trump's focus on tariffs
Jun 1, 2018 - Poll: Voters don't agree with Trump's focus on tariffs. ... The vast majority of voters want President Donald Trump to focus on negotiating new trade agreements rather than imposing new tariffs, a new POLITICO/Morning Consult poll says. ... On the campaign trail, Trump blasted the U.S. ...

dunno. how many?

Tariffs a dead end

View attachment 207962

View attachment 207963

View attachment 207964

NAFTA explained

NAFTA explained

[paste:font size="4"]"the biggest trade war in economic history." Trump has promised to impose $16 billion in further China tariffs later this summer and has openly speculated about tariffs totaling hundreds of millions of dollars before all is said and done.

What's the theory behind Trump's case? And what's the history of starting just these sort of trade wars? A few months back I reached out to Patrick Gillespie, an economics reporter for CNNMoney, to get some answers.
Cillizza: Let's start with Trump's tweet that "trade wars are good, and easy to win." How much basis in fact is there for that claim?

Gillespie: America's last trade war exacerbated the Great Depression in the 1930s, when unemployment rose to 25%. Claiming it was protecting American jobs, Congress passed the Smoot-Hawley Act in 1930. The original bill was meant to protect farmers. But to build political support, many lawmakers asked for tariffs -- or taxes -- on all sorts of goods in exchange for their vote.
Several nations, such as Canada, slapped steep tariffs -- or taxes -- on US goods shipped and sold abroad. For example, US exports of eggs to Canada fell to 7,900 in 1932 from 919,000 in 1929, according to Doug Irwin, a Dartmouth professor and former trade adviser to President Reagan.
The result: US imports fell 40% in the two years after Smoot-Hawley. Banks shuttered. Unemployment shot up. Surely, there were a litany of factors at play. But economists widely agree Smoot-Hawley made the Great Depression much worse than otherwise.
In 2016, I asked Trump's trade adviser Peter Navarro whether Trump's trade policies would start a trade war akin to Smoot-Hawley. He told me "there are no similarities at all." He added that Smoot-Hawley was a "protectionist" tariff -- that is, it fired the first shot in the war. Navarro argued that trade has been unfair for decades. Trump's tariffs would be "defensive."
A good gut check came from New York Federal Reserve President William Dudley -- currently the No. 2 in rank at America's central bank. In a Thursday speech (before Trump's tariffs), Dudley said tariffs and other trade barriers are a "dead end" and "destructive."
Cillizza: Trump's decision on steel and aluminum tariffs seem to catch his administration by surprise. Why?
Gillespie: Trump's rhetoric on trade has been mainly pointed toward China. But these tariffs would hit our top allies harder than China. A key part of the surprise is that Trump made no reference to something called exemptions. Usually in a trade measure like this, the US president would announce the tariffs, but say they don't apply to Canada, Mexico and other allies. But as of now, no countries have been exempted from the tariffs. President George W. Bush last applied sweeping steel tariffs in 2002, but he exempted Canada and Mexico because the US has a critical trade agreement with them, NAFTA. (Those tariffs were dropped a year later when the World Trade Organization ruled them illegal.)

So?

That is BAD news.

have a day.
CNN Poll: Americans don't support Trump's tariffs or foreign policy - CNNPolitics
Jun 21, 2018 - Six-in-10 Americans would rather maintain good relationships with countries that have been close allies to the US than impose tariffs to protect ...

Jun 6, 2018 - Voters are split on imposing tariffs on steel and aluminum imported from the European Union, Canada and Mexico, according to a new POLITICO/Morning Consult poll. ... The Trump administration announced last Thursday that it would impose a 10 percent tariff on aluminum and a 25 percent ...

Jun 1, 2018 - Poll: Voters don't agree with Trump's focus on tariffs. ... The vast majority of voters want President Donald Trump to focus on negotiating new trade agreements rather than imposing new tariffs, a new POLITICO/Morning Consult poll says. ... On the campaign trail, Trump blasted the U.S. ...
so - to cut to the chase, you don't know the answer either but you can google people that support what you view to *be* the answer.

So?

That is BAD news.

have a day.

Hey man...you were the one that brought up bias - not me.

But whatever.

Have a good day.

Tariffs a dead end

View attachment 207962

View attachment 207963

View attachment 207964

NAFTA explained

NAFTA explained

So?

That is BAD news.

have a day.

so - to cut to the chase, you don't know the answer either but you can google people that support what you view to *be* the answer.
Well yes I don't consider myself the brightest bulb in the room like some others here do,,, I read and hear what others say and write every day and make up my mind from facts ,,,,,,,,,,,,and you?

Tariffs a dead end

View attachment 207962

View attachment 207963

View attachment 207964

NAFTA explained

NAFTA explained

have a day.

Well yes I don't consider myself the brightest bulb in the room like some others here do,,, I read and hear what others say and write every day and make up my mind from facts ,,,,,,,,,,,,and you?
didn't i say earlier i didn't understand all the ins and outs of this and you more or less said i'm smarter than that?

i can google people who say trump is doing a fabulous job - would it change your mind? i have some serious doubts to be sure. so why you think that you lobbing CNNs biggest trump hater at me and some others who support your view will change my mind is beyond me.

like i said, i can see your google and raise you dome duckduckgo and nothing happens. however, JED and some others and i put hate down for a bit and we had our best convos so far and i understand their views/hate a bit better now. if you'd ever like to do the same, holler. but as long as you just chime in TRUMP SUCKS at every opportunity and give me links for other peoples reasons, we've gone as far as we're ever gonna go.

Well you may not be the brightest bulb in the room but you sure know how to duck a straightforward, germane question like a pro; it might explain why you need to do a document dump of links that you think proves your partisan *point* instead of really trying to understand the specifics of the issue(s) that you're talking about.

Let's try this again.
Do you agree with all/most/some of the grievances that President Twitter has expressed regarding terms of trade with the trading partners he's targeted with tariffs ?

"True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing" -- Socrates

Well you may not be the brightest bulb in the room but you sure know how to duck a straightforward, germane question like a pro; it might explain why you need to do a document dump of links that you think proves your partisan *point* instead of really trying to understand the specifics of the issue(s) that you're talking about.

Let's try this again.

"True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing" -- Socrates
Just those with China NOT Canada Mexico or EU

it's a positive direction. why does this upset you so much? if this was happening under obama, good.

good things don't become bad simply because you don't like someone. lord when will people grow the fuck up and see this? far too many people are lost inside their own ID.
You know why it upsets me?

Because I have lived long enough to realize this economic prosperity will last only a short time. These economic peaks are the time when employees make up for periods of stagnant wages ......it is not happening

As soon as the economy turns south, employers will again beat the drum of......we would like to pay you more, but we can’t afford it
i can't disagree. i've lived long enough to see both sides of the political aisle fix things and screw it up. but we are seeing things come in line for the average worker that we've not seen in a decade and people still say "not enough".

to those people i don't know if there *is* enough. some people are just terminal bitchers and that makes things difficult to see if they have a point or just bitching again. not to say it's not justified at times, just that we all have different values and some seem to think theirs are correct and others wrong when in the end, just different, neither good nor bad on their own, only after interpretation.

it really doesn't matter what happens to the economy in the end if we can't get past our partisan bickering and hate. we'll do ourselves in just to prove the other side wrong too.
Bullshit.

The worker in America was better off in 2016 than in 2009.

The worker in America is no better off in 2018 than in 2016.

You are believing the lies of a maniac.

Forum List

Back