workers see highest pay raise in nearly a decade

Yeah I know these things, but I also like the company and the work we do, so I’ve been sticking it out. But I’m about ready to jump ship and hit the local union where I can make 40% more than I currently make. The reason I have hesitated in joining the union, is that I’ll be away from my family more, because I’ll have to travel some and work longer hours.
yea, that's a huge difference to anyone really. money vs family time is a balancing act to be sure. liking the company also goes a long way as many times no amount of $ can buy a better environment. good luck!
And how much do trumps tariffs eat into those pay raises ?
wouldn't matter what i tell you, you're consumed with hate.

shitty way to go through life but your life, have at it.

you so much remind me of that guard in shawshank redemption that even when good things happened, he spent all his time focused on the bad.

do yourself a favor, allow yourself to see something new in the world around you. it's not all about trump unless you do that to yourself.
I feel bad for you that you can't see the forest for the trees but I have no reason to hate you or others like you, but having a strong dislike for this ah in our wh doesn't make me a bad guy
didn't say bad.

i said it was a closed mind that would only really allow yourself to see the worst in everything.

think back to when obama was in office and you talked to people who only saw the worst in obama and what he did regardless of what it was. did you think they were stupid and not being realistic?

if so, tag, you're it.

Are you trying to tell us that YOU didn't see only the worst in Obama?

Well yes I don't consider myself the brightest bulb in the room like some others here do,,, I read and hear what others say and write every day and make up my mind from facts ,,,,,,,,,,,,and you?

Well you may not be the brightest bulb in the room but you sure know how to duck a straightforward, germane question like a pro; it might explain why you need to do a document dump of links that you think proves your partisan *point* instead of really trying to understand the specifics of the issue(s) that you're talking about.

Let's try this again.
Do you agree with all/most/some of the grievances that President Twitter has expressed regarding terms of trade with the trading partners he's targeted with tariffs ?

"True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing" -- Socrates
Just those with China NOT Canada Mexico or EU

So what would you do differently than what Donny is doing to resolve those valid trade disputes with China?

Which grievances that he's expressed with Canada, Mexico and the EU don't you agree with?

yea, that's a huge difference to anyone really. money vs family time is a balancing act to be sure. liking the company also goes a long way as many times no amount of $ can buy a better environment. good luck!

you so much remind me of that guard in shawshank redemption that even when good things happened, he spent all his time focused on the bad.

do yourself a favor, allow yourself to see something new in the world around you. it's not all about trump unless you do that to yourself.
I feel bad for you that you can't see the forest for the trees but I have no reason to hate you or others like you, but having a strong dislike for this ah in our wh doesn't make me a bad guy
didn't say bad.

i said it was a closed mind that would only really allow yourself to see the worst in everything.

think back to when obama was in office and you talked to people who only saw the worst in obama and what he did regardless of what it was. did you think they were stupid and not being realistic?

if so, tag, you're it.

if you read it all you'll see where i said i *did* start out that way but after thinking about it, no one can be wrong 100% of the time regardless of how i feel about my own opinions or the other people in question. so yes, in time i did put my hate away and i have to remind myself it took some time to see past our emotional state of mind.

you can either try, or you can stay in a world of hate.

your call.

Well yes I don't consider myself the brightest bulb in the room like some others here do,,, I read and hear what others say and write every day and make up my mind from facts ,,,,,,,,,,,,and you?

Well you may not be the brightest bulb in the room but you sure know how to duck a straightforward, germane question like a pro; it might explain why you need to do a document dump of links that you think proves your partisan *point* instead of really trying to understand the specifics of the issue(s) that you're talking about.

Let's try this again.
Do you agree with all/most/some of the grievances that President Twitter has expressed regarding terms of trade with the trading partners he's targeted with tariffs ?

So what would you do differently than what Donny is doing to resolve those valid trade disputes with China?

Which grievances that he's expressed with Canada, Mexico and the EU don't you agree with?
It's not the grievances in among themselves It's his lousy way of trying to bully leaders of countries that are smarter them he is and who won't be bullied Ever hear the bit about you can get more with sugar than vinegar?

Let's try this again.

It's not the grievances in among themselves It's his lousy way of trying to bully leaders of countries that are smarter them he is and who won't be bullied Ever hear the bit about you can get more with sugar than vinegar?
so you have no idea, you just hate trump and how he does thing but you have no idea what he's really doing.

in essence that's what you just said.

Let's try this again.

First off I 'd use the friendships of my allies and with them approach China rather than make enemies of all involved Now even Turkey is telling him to kiss our butts

Let's try this again.

There's that duck quacking again....

Retry #1....

It's okay to say that you don't know.

Let's try this again.

so you have no idea, you just hate trump and how he does thing but you have no idea what he's really doing.

You put words in my mouth The only things offhand I can agree with him on is his attempts to get China to stop their BS ,, and the rescue of our big corporations money from over seas He can take his wall and shove it and if he stops gov't if he doesn't get 25 billion for his wall I hope some one ..... well never mind

Let's try this again.

You put words in my mouth The only things offhand I can agree with him on is his attempts to get China to stop their BS ,, and the rescue of our big corporations money from over seas He can take his wall and shove it and if he stops gov't if he doesn't get 25 billion for his wall I hope some one ..... well never mind
not putting words in your mouth - telling you how what you say is coming across.

you were asked what you'd do differently and to me you basically said "it's not what he does, it's how he does it".

and we do agree - the wall is bullshit.

dunno. how many?
Come on don't act dumb You're far better than that ,,,Many ,all day long on TV in the papers ,smart men and ladies with great reputations
i don't have the time to get this deep into all the conversations going on over this and other topics. thats why i come in here.

so do you or do you not know the answer to your own question?
No but I've heard many ,,,,and any person not blind or deaf would have heard them too Maybe you can remember what happened the last time we had a tariff war?
do you want to talk about issues, eddie, or bat a ball back and forth with nothing being resolved? let me know now cause if this is just a one way street to you being right i'm gonna stop the bus and walk elsewhere now.
Tariffs a dead end

The last American 'trade war' didn't work out so great

By Chris Cillizza, CNN Editor-at-large

Updated 9:37 AM ET, Fri July 6, 2018

video_pinned_white_bg.jpg

• [paste:font size="5"]

View attachment 207962

This is what a trade war looks like[/paste:font]

New tariffs could increase price of beer
View attachment 207963

White House announces tariffs on US allies
View attachment 207964

Watch what Trudeau said that made Trump angry

Trump on Trudeau: Very dishonest and weak

Trudeau says retaliation against US necessary

NAFTA explained

Schultz: Tariffs on China won't help US jobs
180301125503-trump-aluminum-steel-tariffs-sot-00000000-small-169.jpg

Trump: You don't have a country without steel
180725164321-trump-eu-presser-small-169.jpg

Trump: Working toward zero tariffs with EU
180621132157-mn-soybeans-small-169.jpg

Trump's trade war threatens Midwest farmers
180404171152-us-china-soybeans-small-169.jpg

China is hitting the US where it hurts: Soybeans
Can the US win a trade war with China?

China is killing my business. Now tariffs are too

CNN analyst: US allies are freaked out

Trump has 'terrible' phone call with Macron

This is what a trade war looks like

New tariffs could increase price of beer

White House announces tariffs on US allies

Watch what Trudeau said that made Trump angry

Trump on Trudeau: Very dishonest and weak

Trudeau says retaliation against US necessary

NAFTA explained

Schultz: Tariffs on China won't help US jobs
180301125503-trump-aluminum-steel-tariffs-sot-00000000-small-169.jpg

Trump: You don't have a country without steel
180725164321-trump-eu-presser-small-169.jpg

Trump: Working toward zero tariffs with EU
180621132157-mn-soybeans-small-169.jpg

Trump's trade war threatens Midwest farmers
180404171152-us-china-soybeans-small-169.jpg

China is hitting the US where it hurts: Soybeans
[paste:font size="4"]"the biggest trade war in economic history." Trump has promised to impose $16 billion in further China tariffs later this summer and has openly speculated about tariffs totaling hundreds of millions of dollars before all is said and done.

What's the theory behind Trump's case? And what's the history of starting just these sort of trade wars? A few months back I reached out to Patrick Gillespie, an economics reporter for CNNMoney, to get some answers.
Our conversation, conducted via email and lightly edited for context, is below.
Cillizza: Let's start with Trump's tweet that "trade wars are good, and easy to win." How much basis in fact is there for that claim?

Gillespie: America's last trade war exacerbated the Great Depression in the 1930s, when unemployment rose to 25%. Claiming it was protecting American jobs, Congress passed the Smoot-Hawley Act in 1930. The original bill was meant to protect farmers. But to build political support, many lawmakers asked for tariffs -- or taxes -- on all sorts of goods in exchange for their vote.
Several nations, such as Canada, slapped steep tariffs -- or taxes -- on US goods shipped and sold abroad. For example, US exports of eggs to Canada fell to 7,900 in 1932 from 919,000 in 1929, according to Doug Irwin, a Dartmouth professor and former trade adviser to President Reagan.
The result: US imports fell 40% in the two years after Smoot-Hawley. Banks shuttered. Unemployment shot up. Surely, there were a litany of factors at play. But economists widely agree Smoot-Hawley made the Great Depression much worse than otherwise.
In 2016, I asked Trump's trade adviser Peter Navarro whether Trump's trade policies would start a trade war akin to Smoot-Hawley. He told me "there are no similarities at all." He added that Smoot-Hawley was a "protectionist" tariff -- that is, it fired the first shot in the war. Navarro argued that trade has been unfair for decades. Trump's tariffs would be "defensive."
A good gut check came from New York Federal Reserve President William Dudley -- currently the No. 2 in rank at America's central bank. In a Thursday speech (before Trump's tariffs), Dudley said tariffs and other trade barriers are a "dead end" and "destructive."
Cillizza: Trump's decision on steel and aluminum tariffs seem to catch his administration by surprise. Why?
Gillespie: Trump's rhetoric on trade has been mainly pointed toward China. But these tariffs would hit our top allies harder than China. A key part of the surprise is that Trump made no reference to something called exemptions. Usually in a trade measure like this, the US president would announce the tariffs, but say they don't apply to Canada, Mexico and other allies. But as of now, no countries have been exempted from the tariffs. President George W. Bush last applied sweeping steel tariffs in 2002, but he exempted Canada and Mexico because the US has a critical trade agreement with them, NAFTA. (Those tariffs were dropped a year later when the World Trade Organization ruled them illegal.)

U.S. Workers Get Biggest Pay Increase in Nearly a Decade

not too long ago there were anti-trump posts talking about how wages have not increased.

gonna need to redo that occupydemocrats.org powerpoint slide now.

So?

Sure, average pay rise over the last 12 months was 2.8%.

But the inflation rate is now up to 2.9%.

US Inflation Rate at 2.9% in June, Highest in 6 Years - Live Trading News

And it has risen over 70% in the last year.

United States Inflation Rate | 1914-2018 | Data | Chart | Calendar

That means the average pay rise is NOT keeping pace with inflation.

That is BAD news.
i never said it was keeping up and i never again said this was the coup de grace as people are trying to make it out to be. it's a positive step i hope we continue. if you and others insist on whipping your dicks out and peeing on the parade, go ahead. but it speaks more of you than us.

I did not say you said it was keeping up. And I am not 'pissing' on anything...that fact you look at the posting of statistics and commenting on those stats is 'pissing' on them shows your bias.
I welcome all statistics. But you only seem to welcome those which are 'good news' and 'happy'.

One must keep an open mind about the economy at all times - that is why I am an independent. I am simply pointing out facts and commenting on those facts.

The fact is that - according to government statistics - the inflation rate is rising faster than average American wages.

That is bad news...I don't anyone who is sane and understands macroeconomics who would assume it was not.
and i think my listening to others viewpoints on this and appreciating them says otherwise.

have a day.
CNN Poll: Americans don't support Trump's tariffs or foreign policy ...
CNN Poll: Americans don't support Trump's tariffs or foreign policy - CNNPolitics
Jun 21, 2018 - Six-in-10 Americans would rather maintain good relationships with countries that have been close allies to the US than impose tariffs to protect ...

Poll: Few voters think tariffs will help U.S. economy - POLITICO
Poll: Few voters think tariffs will help U.S. economy
Jun 6, 2018 - Voters are split on imposing tariffs on steel and aluminum imported from the European Union, Canada and Mexico, according to a new POLITICO/Morning Consult poll. ... The Trump administration announced last Thursday that it would impose a 10 percent tariff on aluminum and a 25 percent ...

Poll: Voters don't agree with Trump's focus on tariffs - Politico
Poll: Voters don't agree with Trump's focus on tariffs
Jun 1, 2018 - Poll: Voters don't agree with Trump's focus on tariffs. ... The vast majority of voters want President Donald Trump to focus on negotiating new trade agreements rather than imposing new tariffs, a new POLITICO/Morning Consult poll says. ... On the campaign trail, Trump blasted the U.S. ...
Trump doesn’t like tariffs either, moron.

He is trying to get the other countries to stop putting tariffs on our products by making them take their own medicine.

didn't say bad.

if so, tag, you're it.

if you read it all you'll see where i said i *did* start out that way but after thinking about it, no one can be wrong 100% of the time regardless of how i feel about my own opinions or the other people in question. so yes, in time i did put my hate away and i have to remind myself it took some time to see past our emotional state of mind.

your call.

You project.

didn't say bad.

if so, tag, you're it.

your call.

You project.
it's a hobby.

didn't say bad.

if so, tag, you're it.

your call.

You project.
it's a hobby.

Rank these presidents in terms of their effect on America's image abroad from best to worst. Please.

Reagan
Bush 1
Bush 2
Carter
Trump
Clinton
Obama

didn't say bad.

if so, tag, you're it.

your call.

You project.
it's a hobby.

Rank these presidents in terms of their effect on America's image abroad from best to worst. Please.

Reagan
Bush 1
Bush 2
Carter
Trump
Clinton
Obama
as soon as my apathy for your twisting of this topic subsides, i'm in.

your call.

You project.
it's a hobby.

Reagan
Bush 1
Bush 2
Carter
Trump
Clinton
Obama

Yeah. I'd feign apathy too if I were you.

your call.

You project.
it's a hobby.

Reagan
Bush 1
Bush 2
Carter
Trump
Clinton
Obama

Yeah. I'd feign apathy too if I were you.
who's feigning?

i don't give a shit about a thing you have to say.

didn't say bad.

if so, tag, you're it.

your call.

You project.
it's a hobby.
Ice I don't care what anybody says about you ,in my book you're ok lol

didn't say bad.

if so, tag, you're it.

your call.

You project.
it's a hobby.

Reagan
Bush 1
Bush 2
Carter
Trump
Clinton
Obama
I know you're not talking to me but I'll rank obama clinton 1 and 2

Forum List

Back