Worst Car

1974 Ford Thunderbird. Bought the piece of crap practically new, with only 4500 miles. By the time that it had reached 65000 miles, the transmission had to be replaced, the sunroof leaked, the vinyl top started to crack and fade, the drivers side power seat worked sporadically, the trunk was not properly sealed, so when it rained, water got in the trunk. Just to name a few of its problems. Finally sold the POS before it was even 5 years old, and never bought another Ford again.
View attachment 494567
That's funny...I had a 77 Cougar XR7... that T- Birds younger kissing cousin...one of the best cars I ever owned.
In 1982, the economy was not so hot. The 4 door Cougars looked like miniature Lincoln Continentals.

In 1982, I took my mother car shopping. She wanted a Cougar.

Electric windows were standard on the Cougar LS. She wanted roll-up windows after having several problems with electric windows in a '69 Ford LTD. The dealer was trying to talk her into electric windows when she threatened to go to the Buick dealer.

She got the only 4-door Cougar LS in the nation with roll-up windows.

This is almost exactly what I ordered for my mother.
1622357775617.png

What was the worst car that you ever had?
Mine was a 1977 Chevy Vega.
I replaced the engine and 2 clutches.
The plastic inside was all sun rotted.
The door handle broke off in my hand....
That car was so cheap that the passenger seat was not adjustable.

View attachment 494421
All American cars in the 1970's were junk. That's why Honda, Toyota, and other foreign cars are so prevalent today.

I beg to differ, sir...

50181091162_cb060e2ced_o.jpg

I think it was a 1972 or 1973 Ford Station Wagon with the 501ci big block. It was green and brown like that ****** school chef's car from South Park.

It died a horrible death :(
i197741.jpg

I took it to a demolition derby. It was just too fucking slow!

I got demolished :(

Last edited:
1979 Volkswagen Dasher. What a POS!! I did buy it used but when the engine went out, it was not fixable and the engine replacement cost was more than the car was worth.

Not true. I had a 78 Dasher, and it was one of the best cars ever.
Got over 300 miles out of the engine, and it is a very inexpensive engine to fix, or get used.
You did have to replace the timing belt every 100,000 miles.
But it was only a $20 belt.
Same engine as the Rabbit, so they were common and cheap.

I got it from a friend of the family.
It was their mothers car that she could no longer drive. Got it for $600 bucks and I paid to much.
It was a total piece of shit with no A/C and it constantly over heated.

Overheating is a maintenance problem.
You just did not fix what was wrong.
For example, some cars over heat just by running regular gas.
With others, it is timing too retarded.
Or a clogged catalytic converter.
Bad head gasket.
Etc.

What was the worst car that you ever had?
Mine was a 1977 Chevy Vega.
I replaced the engine and 2 clutches.
The plastic inside was all sun rotted.
The door handle broke off in my hand....
That car was so cheap that the passenger seat was not adjustable.

View attachment 494421

Vega has the skinniest radiator I ever saw.
Which was really bad, because over heating would ruin the aluminum cylinders.
Worked on one where the oil pressure wiring wrapped around the steering shaft.
And the ignition had a cut out if the oil pressure read low.

Hmmmm...........this question is a thinker for me. I'm a particularly super picky person, and I've always had used vehicles, but my Uncles taught me how to pick a used vehicle that didn't have problems. So all the used vehicles I've had, I've loved.

I suppose the only one that gave me a problem after I bought it was the Mazda 626 sedan.
After a few months of driving it, it started hesitating slightly at high speeds. I inspected everything I could on my own, like filters, gaskets leaking, spark plugs, all the easy stuff. Couldn't find anything wrong. Took it to three different 5 star rated mechanics that specialize in Japanese cars. They couldn't find anything wrong, and they kept it for three days each, and went over it with every gizmo, thingywhopper, and doodad they had in the garage, and found nothing wrong with it.

It wasn't really affecting the performance of the vehicle, it was just a slight hesitation at speeds over 50 about every 5 miles or so. But it was VERY annoying! I ended up having the dealer come and take it away. I went back to GM's.

cab00mac081c1101.png

Probably was the purge valve.
When you open the gas cap, if you have vacuum hiss, that is a problem.

Mine was an old cavalier convertible. Was low mileage but it had some mystery electrical problem that started about 6 months after I bought it. After about the 6th time my mechanic thought he finally figured it out, test drove it, had it go into a coma all of a sudden and him having to walk back to his garage, get his truck and tow it again, he called me and said I don't care where you want me to tow this thing to but I am getting it off my property and never working on that son of a bitch again. When it ran, it ran great. Problem was it would suddenly die and you might not be able to restart it for a few minutes, few hours, or few weeks. You just never knew. No lights, gauges, nothing. He replaced everything he could think of and it just kept doing it.

Bad mechanic.
When it is all the electrical stuff, it is easy to trace with a volt meter or ohm meter.
You don't just replace things.
Corroded contact somewhere early on, like batter terminal, main fuse, etc.

A crappy ford pinto wearing mustang clothing. What a piece of shit.
That was called a "Mustang II"

A Mustang with a 4 cylinder engine! Those things were merely Pintos with some minor cosmetic differences that made them sort of look Mustangish.

Guvment regulatons/corruption.

What a fucking joke!!!!

For reasons that I can't explain, I owned three Fiats in the 70's. All were fun to drive but extremely crappy cars. The words "prone to rust" are not adequate to describe how bad these Fiat's were.

When I took the 850 Spyder to the Fiat dealer for state inspection in '74 (it was a '70), their mechanic said he wouldn't even look at it, because there was no way that it was still safe to drive after three Pittsburgh winters.

I had a unique 850 "sedan." Rear engine, RWD. Went like a tank in the snow, but also rusted out to a life-endangering extent. The farmer who bought it from me ($50) built a frame for the underside because the floor had separated from the rest of the body. Like a trampoline.

Others who bought them when they were cool (mainly the 124 Spyder) had similar experiences. They started rusting as soon as you drove them out of the showroom.

Fix It Again, Tony. Truer words were never spoken.

New Topics

Forum List

Back