Your military service does not mean you get to say it's OK to disrespect the flag...

I'm not talking about the Constitution, you are free to disrespect the flag under the Constitution, the Supreme Court made that decision long ago.

What I'm talking about is military veterans saying that their status as military veterans give them a special right to disrespect the flag, or tell others it's ok to disrespect the flag.

That's pure unadulterated bullshit.

You never served did you?

I can see you're very jealous of us 1%ers.....
I did.

You've been here for over three years and never once have I seen you mention that you served. You've mentioned that lots of members of your family have done so, but it seems odd you would leave yourself off that list. I have a sneaking suspicion that you're totally full of shit and have never served. I name you liar.

You got that feeling too, huh?

Blackrook has shared numerous details about his personal life: his lame attempts at finding employment, the demise of his marriage, the number of children he has raised, the city he lives in, the television programs enjoys/hate, his favorite leisure activity, but to my knowledge has never once mentioned his service. Why leave that part out when you've so candidly mentioned the others? I am not buying it for a hot second.

It's weird he wouldn't mention it in a thread he created about veterans.

I did.

You've been here for over three years and never once have I seen you mention that you served. You've mentioned that lots of members of your family have done so, but it seems odd you would leave yourself off that list. I have a sneaking suspicion that you're totally full of shit and have never served. I name you liar.

You got that feeling too, huh?

Blackrook has shared numerous details about his personal life: his lame attempts at finding employment, the demise of his marriage, the number of children he has raised, the city he lives in, the television programs enjoys/hate, his favorite leisure activity, but to my knowledge has never once mentioned his service. Why leave that part out when you've so candidly mentioned the others? I am not buying it for a hot second.

It's weird he wouldn't mention it in a thread he created about veterans.

Being a Major Asshole on the internet doesn't translate into actually serving. :lol:

...that's a bullshit argument.

As a veteran my self I agree. Everyone has the right to do it, but they do not have the right to not be fired for it or be called an idiot.

You really want to embrace the optics of threatening a person's livelihood for not being patriotic enough?

Sure, as long as you understand that it's those people who are providing that livelihood at their risk, and not the State. That's a workplace, and those stupid antics looks bad for the employer, they should be told to stop or be fired.

Should be.

Burning the flag, or disrespecting the flag, means I no longer am listening to your message. I no longer want to hear you, all I know is that you are an enemy of the United States, and I don't care what you have to say.
Enemy of your shitty foreign "policy". "Do as we say, not as we do". Your flag declares imperialism and corporate fascism
corporate_flag.jpg

You really want to embrace the optics of threatening a person's livelihood for not being patriotic enough?

As a Veteran ... I am not threatening the livelihood of anyone ... That doesn't mean they won't fall victim to their poor judgment ... :thup:

Your military service does not mean you get to say it's OK to disrespect the flag...

Apparently one's preference for president does?

What defines "disrespecting the flag?" It turns out we have a law that define what exactly one must do and not do so as not to disrespect the flag: 4 U.S. Code § 8 - Respect for flag.

Among the provisions there, one finds this:
  • The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.

98852_2_1.jpg

• No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.
For comparison, check out "The Democrat Store." (There's a reason I have no images posted from there...click the link and you'll see why.)

You Trumpkins on here don't have any of that gear, do you? Wouldn't be flying a U.S. flag on the same pole as your "Trump" flag would you?

Words of Advice:
When you don't know what you are talking about, it's best to refrain from saying anything.

226006-Better-To-Remain-Silent-And-Be-Thought-A-Fool-Than-To-Speak-Out-And-Remove-All-Doubt.jpg

Last edited:
First of all what they did is not protected by the first amendment, forget that BS, IT IS NOT.

Second, who puts the limits on speech? You are trying to enforce laws because it hurts someone's FEELINGS? Really? Are you really that big of snowflake? (I don't think you are) My FEELINGS were hurt by the players taking a knee to protect the rich owners, so should I sue or is someone else going to sue?

Of course it is protected. They can't be punished by the government for their actions, but they sure as hell can by their employer.

You're claiming disrespecting the flag isn't covered by the First Amendment. Which is false. Of course it is covered, you may not like it, but our constitutional rights are not determined by your feelings.
I guess I don't understand. You are saying that there will or will not be ramifications for their political protest? Whether there actually is or not?

Of course the government isn't going to come and arrest them because they actually broke no law.

But saying that they have a first amendment right as if there could be no ramifications is completely wrong.

Damn. You don't understand what the words you use mean. You should stop using them.
As I have shown, their protest is not a protected right, that is without doubt. Even though the liberals want to make it about the first amendment it does not apply.

Ask yourself, can rights be taken away? The answer is no. Can the owners demand that there not be political protest at their games? Absolutely as you were shown. Thus the protest is not a protected right.

That said, they did not break a law so the government isn't going to stop them from protesting, but that does not make it a right. No matter how much you want it to be.

The US Constitution says it's ok to disrespect the Flag.

doesn't mean I can't call you a cocksucker if you do.
No it doesn't, but yes you can.
First Amendment.
Show me where it says any such thing. I posted another thread on this very subject.

Can you shout fire in a movie theater?

Can you libel someone?

Can you commit slander?

All of the aforementioned can cause actual harm. Sorry, having your feelings hurt isn't a compelling enough argument to curtail one's First Amendmnet rights.

First of all what they did is not protected by the first amendment, forget that BS, IT IS NOT.

Second, who puts the limits on speech? You are trying to enforce laws because it hurts someone's FEELINGS? Really? Are you really that big of snowflake? (I don't think you are) My FEELINGS were hurt by the players taking a knee to protect the rich owners, so should I sue or is someone else going to sue?
Tell us why it's not protected by the First Amendment.

No it doesn't, but yes you can.
First Amendment.
Show me where it says any such thing. I posted another thread on this very subject.

Can you shout fire in a movie theater?

Can you libel someone?

Can you commit slander?

All of the aforementioned can cause actual harm. Sorry, having your feelings hurt isn't a compelling enough argument to curtail one's First Amendmnet rights.

Tell us why it's not protected by the First Amendment.
Can they be fired for their protest? They certainly can be, no first amendment protection.

But here, read: Future Colin Kaepernicks, Beware: You Can Get Fired for Political Speech

Apparently one's preference for president does?

What defines "disrespecting the flag?" It turns out we have a law that define what exactly one must do and not do so as not to disrespect the flag: 4 U.S. Code § 8 - Respect for flag.

Among the provisions there, one finds this:
  • The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.

98852_2_1.jpg

• No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.
For comparison, check out "The Democrat Store." (There's a reason I have no images posted from there...click the link and you'll see why.)

You Trumpkins on here don't have any of that gear, do you? Wouldn't be flying a U.S. flag on the same pole as your "Trump" flag would you?

Words of Advice:
When you don't know what you are talking about, it's best to refrain from saying anything.

226006-Better-To-Remain-Silent-And-Be-Thought-A-Fool-Than-To-Speak-Out-And-Remove-All-Doubt.jpg

Did I see a clip of the Idiot In Chief admitting that he didn't know what the stripes on the flag represented?

I think I did.

Of course it is protected. They can't be punished by the government for their actions, but they sure as hell can by their employer.

You're claiming disrespecting the flag isn't covered by the First Amendment. Which is false. Of course it is covered, you may not like it, but our constitutional rights are not determined by your feelings.
I guess I don't understand. You are saying that there will or will not be ramifications for their political protest? Whether there actually is or not?

Of course the government isn't going to come and arrest them because they actually broke no law.

But saying that they have a first amendment right as if there could be no ramifications is completely wrong.

Damn. You don't understand what the words you use mean. You should stop using them.
As I have shown, their protest is not a protected right, that is without doubt. Even though the liberals want to make it about the first amendment it does not apply.

Ask yourself, can rights be taken away? The answer is no. Can the owners demand that there not be political protest at their games? Absolutely as you were shown. Thus the protest is not a protected right.

That said, they did not break a law so the government isn't going to stop them from protesting, but that does not make it a right. No matter how much you want it to be.

Damn. You are stupid.

I'm not talking about the Constitution, you are free to disrespect the flag under the Constitution, the Supreme Court made that decision long ago.

What I'm talking about is military veterans saying that their status as military veterans give them a special right to disrespect the flag, or tell others it's ok to disrespect the flag.

Why do non-servers like you try to use us veterans to guilt people into false adulation of a cloth?

FIrst Amendment rights mean no GOVERNMENT ramifications. INCLUDING someone in the government should not be telling employers to fire someone. We all know that. Don't you?

I did.
Dinner?

I think the point is that the American Flag does not represent the military any more than any other US citizen

The Constitution says you have the right to say it.

But your military service does not mean you have a superior right over non-veterans to have an opinion on disrespecting the flag.

Then don't say it's disrespectful to those who served.

Forum List

Back