12 years a slave

Yurt

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2004
this is simply one of the greatest movies i've ever seen. gripping, powerful and engaging. i thought that i had understood somewhat what slavery was, however, after this movie i realized i could never truly understand slavery at all, though i feel i did learn some about it.

i rarely get emotional over a movie, however, this movie moved me.

I just finished the book.

There is something compelling about the fact that he was free and independent, then kidnapped and sold into slavery and had to deal with it, like it or not. It is more striking than a narrative from someone who was born into slavery then wrote about it.

I'll never look at a ****** the same way again.

Just kidding.

this is simply one of the greatest movies i've ever seen. gripping, powerful and engaging. i thought that i had understood somewhat what slavery was, however, after this movie i realized i could never truly understand slavery at all, though i feel i did learn some about it.

Haven't worked myself up to watching it yet. Still haven't gotten over "To Kill a Mockingbird" since I first saw it 50 yrs. ago.

I want to see this movie and wait for it to come out in dvd or pay per view on tv. Thanks for the review, Yurt!

Every society had slavery and I thank god it is gone.

I've read there is more slavery in the world now than ever before.

I'm about half way through 12 Years As A Slave. Its not an easy read. He is well educated and tends to play down the horrors he sees and lives with.

Even his best and most humane masters/owners are monstrous in their total lack of caring for the humanity of the human beings they own.

If "you" ever think that blacks had it good as slaves, that they should not complain about having "three hots an a cot", that they didn't have to worry about making a living and should have been grateful, READ THIS BOOK.

`

Wife and I toured the 'Laura Plantation' where it was filmed when we went to NOLA last November. Tour was great, haven't seen the film yet.

What makes it even more powerful is that this is a true story, taken directly from the journal of the man who lived it.

Contrary to what some believe, slaves didn't have an easy time of it.

I liked the original better. The made for TV movie back in the 80's was directed by the same guy who directed Shaft. Much better IMHO.

I thought the first part of the movie (latest version) was laughable, but it certainly makes northeasterners feel better about themselves.

Nothing like the book either, with lots of information missing and the screenplay is not too good.

At least this finally breaks the stranglehold that the South had on Hollywood and we can finally all see what slavery was really like, right?

Last edited:
Of course, master race baiter, MessiahRushie, could not pass up the opportunity to play the race card and feed some red meat to his racist audience.

“If it was the only thing that movie won, it was gonna win Best Picture. There was no way. It didn’t matter if it was good or bad. I haven’t seen it. It was going to win. It had the magic word in the title, ‘slave.’”
Rush Limbaugh

So far it is the ONLY film with slave in the title to win best picture.

Pictures with the magic word 'slave' in the title:

Slaves Of Desire (1923), A Slave Of Fashion (1925), The White Slave (1927), White Slave Traffic (1929), Slave Ship (1937), Slaves In Bondage (1937), White Slaves (1937), Boy Slaves (1939), Slave Girl (1947), Tarzan And The Slave Girl (1950), Slaves Of Babylon (1953), The Slave (1953), Captain Kidd And The Slave Girl (1954), Theodora, Slave Empress (1954), Love Slaves Of The Amazons (1957), The Warrior And The Slave Girl (1958), The Pirate And The Slave Girl (1959), Slave Of Rome (1961), White Slave Ship (1961), The Slave (1962), Goliath And The Rebel Slave (1963), Samson And The Slave Queen (1963), Slave Queen Of Babylon (1963), There Are Still Slaves In The World (1964), White Slaves Of Chinatown (1964), Aido: Slave Of Love (1969), Slaves (1969), Slaves Of Love (1969), Slave Wife (1976), White Slave (1985), Slave Girls From Beyond Infinity (1987), Slave Of Crime (1987), Slaves Of New York (1989), Latex Slaves (1992), Blood Slaves Of The Vampire Wolf (1996), Slaves To The Underground (1997), Slaves Of Hollywood (1999), Chained Fury: Lesbian Slave Desires (2003), Slave (2003), Slaves Of The Realm (2003), 3 Dancing Slaves (2004), Busty Bondage Slaves (2006), Prince Among Slaves (2007), Slave (2009), I Am Slave (2010), Slaves Of The Saints (2011), Runaway Slave (2012), Slave (2012), I, A Slave (2013), Rather Die Free Than Live A Slave (2013), Slave Queen (2013)

Of course, master race baiter, MessiahRushie, could not pass up the opportunity to play the race card and feed some red meat to his racist audience.

“If it was the only thing that movie won, it was gonna win Best Picture. There was no way. It didn’t matter if it was good or bad. I haven’t seen it. It was going to win. It had the magic word in the title, ‘slave.’”
Rush Limbaugh

So far it is the ONLY film with slave in the title to win best picture.

Pictures with the magic word 'slave' in the title:

Slaves Of Desire (1923), A Slave Of Fashion (1925), The White Slave (1927), White Slave Traffic (1929), Slave Ship (1937), Slaves In Bondage (1937), White Slaves (1937), Boy Slaves (1939), Slave Girl (1947), Tarzan And The Slave Girl (1950), Slaves Of Babylon (1953), The Slave (1953), Captain Kidd And The Slave Girl (1954), Theodora, Slave Empress (1954), Love Slaves Of The Amazons (1957), The Warrior And The Slave Girl (1958), The Pirate And The Slave Girl (1959), Slave Of Rome (1961), White Slave Ship (1961), The Slave (1962), Goliath And The Rebel Slave (1963), Samson And The Slave Queen (1963), Slave Queen Of Babylon (1963), There Are Still Slaves In The World (1964), White Slaves Of Chinatown (1964), Aido: Slave Of Love (1969), Slaves (1969), Slaves Of Love (1969), Slave Wife (1976), White Slave (1985), Slave Girls From Beyond Infinity (1987), Slave Of Crime (1987), Slaves Of New York (1989), Latex Slaves (1992), Blood Slaves Of The Vampire Wolf (1996), Slaves To The Underground (1997), Slaves Of Hollywood (1999), Chained Fury: Lesbian Slave Desires (2003), Slave (2003), Slaves Of The Realm (2003), 3 Dancing Slaves (2004), Busty Bondage Slaves (2006), Prince Among Slaves (2007), Slave (2009), I Am Slave (2010), Slaves Of The Saints (2011), Runaway Slave (2012), Slave (2012), I, A Slave (2013), Rather Die Free Than Live A Slave (2013), Slave Queen (2013)

hey Ed i figure you would know....did Rush like "Man Of Steel"?.....

maybe some people will watch it and stop being racist idiots.

I sure hope so.

I want someone to make a film about black walstreet

maybe some people will watch it and stop being racist idiots.

I sure hope so.

I want someone to make a film about black walstreet

Let us know when you've seen it and we'll start to look for a change in you racist attitudes...

Forum List

Back