1981 PATCO Strike

That’s why there was a no strike clause in their employment contracts.
Thanks. I had forgot that was in their contracts. A good client of mine worked for PATCO and he told me he would not strike. So he was not fired.

It matters not what evidence I contnue to provide

No, you provide only opinion pieces from Union activists. That is known as "cherry picking", and using biased sources. You have not proven a damned thing, and your own references say you are wrong.

Once again, how did President Reagan destroy the unions for 2 decades before he was President? Exactly which Unions did he destroy?

You actually have proven nothing, yet again. You simply spin in circles.

No, you provide only opinion pieces from Union activists. That is known as "cherry picking", and using biased sources. You have not proven a damned thing, and your own references say you are wrong.

Once again, how did President Reagan destroy the unions for 2 decades before he was President? Exactly which Unions did he destroy?

You actually have proven nothing, yet again. You simply spin in circles.
PATCO was not a normal union. It only hired Government workers. It is charged with providing safety. Reagan was right to remove his government workers who defied him.

PATCO was not a normal union. It only hired Government workers. It is charged with providing safety.

There are a lot of unions only for government workers, so that is not unusual.

And they claimed they were created to improve safety. However, a year after being founded the Civil Service Commission decided that they were indeed a Union. And while Unions are often in charge of ensuring the safety of their employees (like Mine Workers and Oil Drillers), I can't think of a single Union that dedicates themselves to the safety of others who are not Union members.

While I may be ambivalent towards a lot of Unions, I honestly do see one of their key tasks is to oversee employee safety in addition to the employer and OSHA. But their history of work slowdowns, illegal sickouts, and finally outright strike was essentially an attempt at blackmail. And ultimately, it was not so much that the President fired them, they were in clear violation of the law which they had been warned about multiple times (including by their own legal counsel).

Sadly, they were just one of many Unions that are ultimately self-destructive. Kinda like how I shook my head in dismay when striking workers at Hostess cheered when the company shut down all operations and went bankrupt. Which ultimately was a failure for the consumers, as a lot of families relied upon their discount bread stores in order to help stretch their budgets.

Some employees are excluded from forming a bargaining unit under law, including confidential employees, those engaged in personnel or national security work, and most people in management and supervisory positions.

Some managers and supervisors are allowed to be in a union if their classification as a collective bargaining unit was established before October 1978, when limitations on those units were laid down in U.S. Code.

The no strike by Government workers law was passed prior to Reagan being president.

Can federal unions go on strike?

No, the Civil Service Reform Act of 1978 prohibits federal unions from striking, as the work of the government is deemed too crucial to interrupt during union and management disagreements.

Reagan had to fire them.

There are a lot of unions only for government workers, so that is not unusual.

And they claimed they were created to improve safety. However, a year after being founded the Civil Service Commission decided that they were indeed a Union. And while Unions are often in charge of ensuring the safety of their employees (like Mine Workers and Oil Drillers), I can't think of a single Union that dedicates themselves to the safety of others who are not Union members.

While I may be ambivalent towards a lot of Unions, I honestly do see one of their key tasks is to oversee employee safety in addition to the employer and OSHA. But their history of work slowdowns, illegal sickouts, and finally outright strike was essentially an attempt at blackmail. And ultimately, it was not so much that the President fired them, they were in clear violation of the law which they had been warned about multiple times (including by their own legal counsel).

Sadly, they were just one of many Unions that are ultimately self-destructive. Kinda like how I shook my head in dismay when striking workers at Hostess cheered when the company shut down all operations and went bankrupt. Which ultimately was a failure for the consumers, as a lot of families relied upon their discount bread stores in order to help stretch their budgets.
OSHA was joke......

Forum List

Back