6 dead , 3 wounded - guns make you safer ?

It does. It gives implicit approval to others that guns are socially acceptable. It makes guns for criminals to steal more readily available. It contributes to a society where everyone else thinks they too need a gun for self defense. Well, you've got one, so I'd better, too.

I disagree, I don’t own a gun, never have been inclined to, however I support the right for a person to chose to have a gun or not, just as I have chosen.
This is hard for me, because most of the people I know are gun owners, although they are quiet about it. Hunting, or a shotgun in the closet for those nasty moments like a rabid raccoon in the yard or to wave around if a druggie tries stealing your truck out of the driveway. I don't worry a bit about them owning a gun. But the majority of them, except for hunting, have never shot at anything and therefore don't need a gun at all. I think it would be a better and safer country if people just accepted that guns are, in the vast majority of cases, "overkill." Pardon my pun.

Is it overkill when a person uses their gun to stop an intruder or attacker?

Police carry sidearms at all times while on duty for the twenty to thirty years of their career and most of them will tell you they've never had to pull it or fire at a suspect their entire career. Most of those who have will say they only had to do so two or three times. Most of them will also say they hope to never have to draw their weapon.
The same goes for civilian gun owners. I have a handgun myself and I hope like hell I never have to point it at someone and most legal and responsible gun owners will say the same.

The point is, a firearm may or may not be overkill sitting in the gun case but it most definitely is not overkill when you need it to protect your family.
I have a handgun myself and I hope like hell I never have to point it at someone
Yes, you have never needed it to protect your family. You swallowed the NRA "buy more guns" argument of why you should be afraid enough of life to need a gun. I hope you never have to point it at anyone either; most likely you won't.

So are you ready to give the government your gun if they ask for it?
What makes you think that the govt. is going to ask for people to turn their guns in? Did the gun/criminal/terrorist lobby and their Russian allies tell you this?NRA, Russia and Trump: How 'dark money' is poisoning American democracy

I disagree, I don’t own a gun, never have been inclined to, however I support the right for a person to chose to have a gun or not, just as I have chosen.
This is hard for me, because most of the people I know are gun owners, although they are quiet about it. Hunting, or a shotgun in the closet for those nasty moments like a rabid raccoon in the yard or to wave around if a druggie tries stealing your truck out of the driveway. I don't worry a bit about them owning a gun. But the majority of them, except for hunting, have never shot at anything and therefore don't need a gun at all. I think it would be a better and safer country if people just accepted that guns are, in the vast majority of cases, "overkill." Pardon my pun.

Police carry sidearms at all times while on duty for the twenty to thirty years of their career and most of them will tell you they've never had to pull it or fire at a suspect their entire career. Most of those who have will say they only had to do so two or three times. Most of them will also say they hope to never have to draw their weapon.
The same goes for civilian gun owners. I have a handgun myself and I hope like hell I never have to point it at someone and most legal and responsible gun owners will say the same.

The point is, a firearm may or may not be overkill sitting in the gun case but it most definitely is not overkill when you need it to protect your family.
I have a handgun myself and I hope like hell I never have to point it at someone
Yes, you have never needed it to protect your family. You swallowed the NRA "buy more guns" argument of why you should be afraid enough of life to need a gun. I hope you never have to point it at anyone either; most likely you won't.

What makes you think that the govt. is going to ask for people to turn their guns in? Did the gun/criminal/terrorist lobby and their Russian allies tell you this?NRA, Russia and Trump: How 'dark money' is poisoning American democracy

August, did you see the context, I was joking thank you for playing and have a great day.

I really don't know why you Russian trolls bother.

SO what?

I own guns and I am not responsible for the crimes of other people.
I own a car and I am not responsible for the reckless driving of other people
I own a lighter and cans of gasoline and I am not responsible for the arson other people commit

Do you get the drift yet or should I go on?
So what?

Okay. I guess I've got your number.
People die every second of every day

Why don't you tell me how I am responsible for all the people who commit crimes with guns simple because I happen to own some?
Perhaps truly responsible people don't choose to own and use devices designed to take life as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Like cars? They're not designed to take life but, in the hands of an irresponsible driver, they take life just as efficiently as a gun will nonetheless.
The car comparison is stupid. Why don't we try iron fry pans? Carving knives.
I am talking about guns. Keep on track, please.

The car comparison is only stupid if people never died in them. We are talking about people getting killed, are we not?

The fact that I own guns makes no one else's world more dangerous.
It does. It gives implicit approval to others that guns are socially acceptable. It makes guns for criminals to steal more readily available. It contributes to a society where everyone else thinks they too need a gun for self defense. Well, you've got one, so I'd better, too.

Yes, you have never needed it to protect your family. You swallowed the NRA "buy more guns" argument of why you should be afraid enough of life to need a gun.

I have no idea what the NRA says on the matter. I'm not a member and I don't keep up with their doings.

I hope you never have to point it at anyone either; most likely you won't.

You're right, most likely I won't. But that will be small consolation if I get killed or, even worse, if one of my family members is killed.

What makes you think that the govt. is going to ask for people to turn their guns in?
Absent confiscation, gun control can have no effect on crime, because of the hundreds of millions of guns already in circulation.
I agree. There`s nothing that could be done that would make any difference for several decades. We`re dealing with the plague so we should do nothing and accept it?

So what?

Okay. I guess I've got your number.
People die every second of every day

Why don't you tell me how I am responsible for all the people who commit crimes with guns simple because I happen to own some?
Perhaps truly responsible people don't choose to own and use devices designed to take life as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Like cars? They're not designed to take life but, in the hands of an irresponsible driver, they take life just as efficiently as a gun will nonetheless.
The car comparison is stupid. Why don't we try iron fry pans? Carving knives.
I am talking about guns. Keep on track, please.

The car comparison is only stupid if people never died in them. We are talking about people getting killed, are we not?
We are talking about people being SHOT.

I agree. There`s nothing that could be done that would make any difference for several decades. We`re dealing with the plague so we should do nothing and accept it?
You should do nothing that will accomplish nothing, especially when that nothing is accomplished by restricting the rights of the law abiding.

Nationwide, about 1 in 20 people have a carry permit -- why, in a mass shooting, is it rare for any of the victims/potential victims to shoot back?

You should do nothing that will accomplish nothing, especially when that nothing is accomplished by restricting the rights of the law abiding.

Nationwide, about 1 in 20 people have a carry permit -- why, in a mass shooting, is it rare for any of the victims/potential victims to shoot back?
Normal people don`t carry guns with them? A guy shooting out of a high rise hotel with thousands of targets is hard to zero in on? 2nd graders don`t carry guns to school because the liberals have infringed upon their rights? There are plenty of reasons cowboy.

Normal people don`t carry guns with them?
You must have missed this part:
Statistically, out of every 20 people you see, 1 has a carry permit.
Thus, your juvenile attempt to 'abnormalize' those who do so aside, a significant proportion of people -do- carry guns,
A guy shooting out of a high rise hotel....
Ok.. what about the other 109 mass shootings since 1982?
2nd graders don`t carry guns to school...
Wow. that's a sad response.
What about the teacher/administrators/staff? Why don't they shoot back?
There are plenty of reasons cowboy.
Almost all of which revolve around the fact the majority of mass shootings take place in gun-free zones.
Why do you want people to be defenseless?

Why aren't we talking about people shooting back?
Because it hardly ever happens.
Why do people rarely shoot back in mass shootings?
They are too busy ducking? Think back on all the mass shootings we've had in the past few years. There were a few where civilians shot back. They all missed. A couple of shooters were stopped by being jumped on by a brave stand-er-by though. No gun was needed and no gun by civilians made a difference.

I know where you want to go with Gun Free Zones being "dangerous" but I vehemently disagree.

Why aren't we talking about people shooting back?
Because it hardly ever happens.
Why do people rarely shoot back in mass shootings?
They are too busy ducking? Think back on all the mass shootings we've had in the past few years. There were a few where civilians shot back. They all missed. A couple of shooters were stopped by being jumped on by a brave stand-er-by though. No gun was needed and no gun by civilians made a difference.

I know where you want to go with Gun Free Zones being "dangerous" but I vehemently disagree.
The problem is that a 'gun free zone' is a gun free zone for law abiding citizens.
We haven't witnessed it being a gun free zone for the perps, have we?

I wouldn't own one or have one in my house if you paid me.
Your choice and I wholeheartedly support your right to exercise that choice

All I ask of you is to do the same

Forum List

Back