80th Anniversary of D-Day

elektra

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2013
Jewitt City, Connecticut
I am sad, the greatest generation is almost gone. Seems like today should be a National Holiday. Any soldier that was 18 on D-Day, would be 98 years old today. Can not be to many of them still alive. Is our great history disappearing.

Normandy American Cemetery and Memorial is the burial site of 9,387 US military personnel who fought and died in World War Two. Most of the graves at the Normandy American Cemetery belong to participants in the Normandy Landings on 6 June 1944, also known as D-Day.

d-day-landings.jpg

sidlowsk_image.jpeg

Attachments

• d-day.jpg
    d-day.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 1
  • norm.jpg
    norm.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 2
  • norm 2.jpg
    norm 2.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 2
My dad was a medic with the VII Corps, First Army. He wasn't there on D-Day, his unit arrived on D+2.

He would go on to serve during the Battle of France, the Battle of the Bulge, and the Crossing of the Rhine.

He was born in Germany in 1925 and immigrated as a baby. He was fluent in German and was the unit's translator.

I am sad, the greatest generation is almost gone. Seems like today should be a National Holiday. Any soldier that was 18 on D-Day, would be 98 years old today. Can not be to many of them still alive. Is our great history disappearing.

Normandy American Cemetery and Memorial is the burial site of 9,387 US military personnel who fought and died in World War Two. Most of the graves at the Normandy American Cemetery belong to participants in the Normandy Landings on 6 June 1944, also known as D-Day.

View attachment 958575

View attachment 958576
Screen Shot 2024-06-14 at 10.23.42 AM.png

Forum List

Back