"A free thinker is Satan's slave"

How so? What's your resolution for those people? For christians to give up their belief that there is a hell?

No, to submit to the point that Hell is a threat, and threats are used as an axiom for controlling behavior. The fact that you two skirt that and act as if it isn't so is disengenuous.

If anyone is 'controled' by that then they are mindless idiots. I make the assumption that most mature intelligent adults can study something, decide if they agree with it or not, and on that basis, accept it or reject it. I'm not skirting anything, if you're a Christian and you believe the christian doctrine, then you are saved. If you're not, and you don't believe, then it doesn't matter to you one way or the other.

careful there Newby those are Free Thinker traits ;)

Umm, yea, and the threat of eternal hell if you're accidentally wrong isn't a factor :cuckoo:

So, you've just decided that you're going to hell because you're not a christian? That's the outcome of your train of thought.

No.

Let me walk you through it really slow.

you're a "maybe christianity is true, maybe it isn't" person.

you read text and learn if you dont accept Christ, you go to hell for eternity.

you fear that hell MIGHT BE.

thus, you accept christ.

that is a means of behavior control, and works very well on the gullible.

You obviously don't give people much credit, my opinion dffers.

How so? What's your resolution for those people? For christians to give up their belief that there is a hell?

No, to submit to the point that Hell is a threat, and threats are used as an axiom for controlling behavior. The fact that you two skirt that and act as if it isn't so is disengenuous.

If anyone is 'controled' by that then they are mindless idiots. I make the assumption that most mature intelligent adults can study something, decide if they agree with it or not, and on that basis, accept it or reject it. I'm not skirting anything, if you're a Christian and you believe the christian doctrine, then you are saved. If you're not, and you don't believe, then it doesn't matter to you one way or the other.

Why doesn't it matter one way or the other if you're not a Christian?

Buddhists believe in some version of hell, so do Hindus. They also believe in a version of God and Heaven, as well as believe that what we do here will determine what happens to you when you leave this plane of existence.

So, according to Christians, are the Hindus and the Buddhists going to hell if they don't accept Christ?

Incidentally, Judaic theology has a VERY strong belief in God, as well as a version of Heaven, but not so much when it comes to hell. Are God's Chosen People going to hell as well if they don't accept Christ?

Yea, and if you don't know either way then you're threatened with "believe or go to hell." Fact.

No one is 'threatened' with anything, you're being irrational.

So, you've just decided that you're going to hell because you're not a christian? That's the outcome of your train of thought.

No.

Let me walk you through it really slow.

you're a "maybe christianity is true, maybe it isn't" person.

you read text and learn if you dont accept Christ, you go to hell for eternity.

you fear that hell MIGHT BE.

thus, you accept christ.

that is a means of behavior control, and works very well on the gullible.

You obviously don't give people much credit, my opinion dffers.

Yet another of the crowd who spends a lot of time focusing on what they think other people THINK, rather than listening to what they say and do.

careful there Newby those are Free Thinker traits ;)

Don't tell me, tell your buddy Dragon... I can't think freely according to him...

Yea, and if you don't know either way then you're threatened with "believe or go to hell." Fact.

No one is 'threatened' with anything, you're being irrational.

Hell is a sure fire threat. Pun intended.

No, it's not.

It's a consequence. Consequences are not threats....unless they are being used by someone as a threat.

Saying "you will go to hell if you aren't saved" is no more a threat than "you will die if you are decapitated."

Now if I said "I will send you to hell if you aren't saved" that would be a threat.
If I said "I will decapitate you and you will die" that would be a threat.

But stating the reality isn't a threat. It's just an observance.

You need to return to school and study the English language some more.

Last edited:
No, it's not.

It's a consequence. Consequences are not threats....unless they are being used by someone as a threat.

Saying "you will go to hell if you aren't saved" is no more a threat than "you will die if you are decapitated."

Now if I said "I will send you to hell if you aren't saved" that would be a threat.
If I said "I will decapitate you and you will die" that would be a threat.

But stating the reality isn't a threat. It's just an observance.

You need to return to school and study the English language some more.

"if you dont accept christ you will go to hell" is a threat. You're obfuscating because you're a dishonest alliebaba

Buddhists believe in some version of hell, so do Hindus. They also believe in a version of God and Heaven, as well as believe that what we do here will determine what happens to you when you leave this plane of existence.

So, according to Christians, are the Hindus and the Buddhists going to hell if they don't accept Christ?

Incidentally, Judaic theology has a VERY strong belief in God, as well as a version of Heaven, but not so much when it comes to hell. Are God's Chosen People going to hell as well if they don't accept Christ?

I'd like to hear Newby and Kosher Twit answer the questions I posed to them in the above post.

Why would Buddists or practitioners of any other religion care about what Christians thought about where they go once life ends?

Why would Buddists or practitioners of any other religion care about what Christians thought about where they go once life ends?

Dodging the question I see..............

But, according to Christians, what is going to happen to the Buddhists, Hindus and Jews?

Dodging the question I see..............

But, according to Christians, what is going to happen to the Buddhists, Hindus and Jews?

It's not up to me to decide what happens to them. I really don't see your point either since it shouldn't matter to them what Christians think one way or the other. Hindus could believe I won't be reincarnated because I don't share their beliefs, how does that hurt me? It doesn't. I don't care if they believe that or not, it has no affect on me.

I'd like to hear Newby and Kosher Twit answer the questions I posed to them in the above post.

They're nonsense questions.

But your logic makes no sense... if I was a christian, but 'think freely' and decide that it's a bunch of hogwash, I therefore do not believe in a place called 'hell' anymore, therefore it is not an impediment from me quitting Christianity.

It's an impediment to reaching that point. I know, as I've been there. And compared to many, I had it easy, because of my background.

I was raised in an agnostic home. When I was twelve years old, I had my first spiritual experience and decided that my parents were wrong and had a limited view of reality. I became a Christian because that was the most readily-available model or religious metaphor around where I lived. For several years, I participated in Christianity, studying the Bible, praying, and so on.

When I began to question things, it was quite traumatic -- and that was exactly because of the fear of Hell, in which I had been taught to believe. It acted as a restraint, as a way of blocking out certain directions of thought.

I eventually did overcome it, of course. But I am certain that it would be much stronger for someone who was actually raised a traditional Christian and indoctrinated into the fear of Hell from as soon as he or she learned to talk.

In any case, the fact that some people are able to overcome the threat doesn't change the fact that the threat exists. And that is a serious indictment of traditional Christian doctrine, just as the fact that some people have overcome armed robbers doesn't make the would-be robber guiltless.

Last edited:
Which question?

Phrase it in English, we'll see if it makes sense. I doubt at this point if you even know what you're asking.

"In any case, the fact that some people are able to overcome the threat doesn't change the fact that the threat exists. And that is a serious indictment of traditional Christian doctrine,........."

Believing you have overcome a threat does not remove the threat.
You can overcome your fear of fire, but does that mean you should embrace putting your hand on a hot burner? For anyone that sees Hell as a threat, overcome your fear of hell by accepting the gift of life from Christ, not by pretending that it doesn't exist because you "overcame" it.

Forum List

Back