Debate Now A Hard Look at the MAGA Movement

Flopper

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 23, 2010
Washington
First let's look's at what MAGA is?
It is a political movement that emerged in the United States during the 2016 presidential campaign of its putative leader, Donald Trump. Its name is derived from Trump’s 2016 campaign slogan “Make America Great Again,” which became a rallying cry for many Trump supporters during his candidacy, presidency (2017–21), and beyond.

The MAGA movement (often referred to simply as MAGA, or Make America Great Again), was founded on the belief that the United States was once a “great” country but has lost this status owing to foreign influence, both within its borders (via immigration and multiculturalism) and without (via globalization, or the increased integration of multiple national economies).

1. Is it true that America has lost it's status as a great country?
2. What policies and legislation does the MAGA movement claim should be implemented?
3. Assuming America is no longer a great country, will these policies work to restore America to it's former greatness?

1721512030609.png

1. I'll settle for a lot less government spending and getting rid of some government agencies along with the bureaucrats working in them.

2. Bringing our manufacturing base back because the countries producing those items aren't honoring the terms of the trade agreements. (Slave & child labor)

3. No new wars

4. Closing the border.

5. Oh!!! And a lot of the corrupt bureaucrats need to spend some time in prison with forfeiture of assets gained by their corruption
SMILE

:)

Last edited:
It is a political movement that emerged in the United States during the 2016 presidential campaign of its putative leader, Donald Trump. Its name is derived from Trump’s 2016 campaign slogan “Make America Great Again,” which became a rallying cry for many Trump supporters during his candidacy, presidency (2017–21), and beyond.

The MAGA movement (often referred to simply as MAGA, or Make America Great Again), was founded on the belief that the United States was once a “great” country but has lost this status owing to foreign influence, both within its borders (via immigration and multiculturalism) and without (via globalization, or the increased integration of multiple national economies).

2. What policies and legislation does the MAGA movement claim should be implemented?
3. Assuming America is no longer a great country, will these policies work to restore America to it's former greatness?
I started a thread on this back in April and I got nothing but pushback from conservatives including some I consider to be good thinkers.

I call it a sales pitch. You can read all 28 pages of the go-nowhere, get-no-answers thread here:

I asked the same question.

If we need to make it great again....when was it great and why do you consider it to be great then and not now.

Etc........

I will watch this one, but I don't expect anything different.

The worst answer was something along the lines of "If you don't see what America is today as opposed to what I knew growing up (60's), then you were not around.

I was around and America was falling apart then.

Question, have you ever traveled outside the United States???

Of course "great" is a subjective term. I believe that American will always be "great" as long as we continue to be a democratic republic. But some people set the bar higher. America has a lot of problems and a lot of flaws. I think Trump's aim in saying "Make America Great Again," was to return the U.S. to our former economic success and opportunity for all. He was well on his way to doing that when COVID hit.
To answer that question, I would have to know who exactly you think is/are the real leader(s) of this "MAGA movement" that you speak of? Do they have a headquarters?
Better policies would make America better. For example, a policy of securing the border and letting the law determine who is let in and who is not would make America much better. Whether moving from Biden policies on the border back to Trump policies would move us from almost great to great is subjective, and the line would be drawn arbitrarily by each individual.

I don't get why Democrats focus on this one acronym, instead of just discussing individual policies of either candidate.

Of course "great" is a subjective term. I believe that American will always be "great" as long as we continue to be a democratic republic. But some people set the bar higher. America has a lot of problems and a lot of flaws. I think Trump's aim in saying "Make America Great Again," was to return the U.S. to our former economic success and opportunity for all. He was well on his way to doing that when COVID hit.

Why do you keep absolving him of Covid?

Frankly, I would much rather have had my life in 2016 then 2020. And I'd rather have my life from 2024 than 2020.

Better policies would make America better. For example, a policy of securing the border and letting the law determine who is let in and who is not would make America much better. Whether moving from Biden policies on the border back to Trump policies would move us from almost great to great is subjective, and the line would be drawn arbitrarily by each individual.

I don't get why Democrats focus on this one acronym, instead of just discussing individual policies of either candidate.

Except you can't really secure a border unless you fix the other problems with immigration as well.

Right now, Immigrants have figured out the big old Asylum Loophole. You claim asylum, it takes years to figure out if you qualify or not. Given most of these people come from countries like China and Venezuela that we've declared human rights abusers, we really don't have much of a leg to stand on to deny them entry.

Question, have you ever traveled outside the United States???

That's not what this is about.

We know what that is like if you travel to places like South America or Africa.

This is about why we need to make her "great again" and what that looks like.

Given most of these people come from countries like China and Venezuela that we've declared human rights abusers, we really don't have much of a leg to stand on to deny them entry.

While we don't have to turn them away, we also don't have to let them live in our societies until their situation is cleared up.

A huge tent city somewhere in the Sonoran Desert would work just fine.

Nope.
Not even they really now. It changes and evolves along with Trump's mood swings.
Assume? Makes an "ass out of u and me."

MAGA is a sales pitch. I don't like it. I always want things to get better. But I do it in the context of the issue at hand.

Build Back Better was also a sales pitch and a total lie.

OK, then. Make America Greater Again. It’s only a campaign slogan. You need something in the Bolshevik press.

For the last 3-4 years America is being mocked, insulted and laughed at. We all know why.

Un-Vetted criminals walk in to add to our pains. Nothing is improved over 2019. Ignoring the next 2020 data post after the Chinese allowed to launch and spread Flu with DEM help to kill the Country. That was not GREAT, to steal the Election, plain and simple.

Yes MAGA is positive. Or MALA…..Legal again. Strong, sensible, capable, common sense leadership again.

I started a thread on this back in April and I got nothing but pushback from conservatives including some I consider to be good thinkers.

I call it a sales pitch. You can read all 28 pages of the go-nowhere, get-no-answers thread here:

I asked the same question.

If we need to make it great again....when was it great and why do you consider it to be great then and not now.

Etc........

I will watch this one, but I don't expect anything different.

The worst answer was something along the lines of "If you don't see what America is today as opposed to what I knew growing up (60's), then you were not around.

I was around and America was falling apart then.
you might consider we were great back when we werent 35 trillion in debt and so many laws a person needs a full time lawyer to constantly monitor what new llaws and regulations are being implemented,,

also back when we didnt depend on other countries to provide our essential items like antibiotics and other medicines,, along with most other major manufacturing,,

if a world war broke out now and all imports from china and other hostile countries stopped over night the war would be over for us,,

and dont get me started on the millions of unvetted military age males from hostile countries walking around with no supervision or knowledge of why they are here,,,,

so in otherwords we were great when we didnt depend on others or were indebted to others,,

Whenever I hear a Trump supporter scream "Make America Great Again", I ask them when America stopped being great.

They never seem to have an answer for that one.

They can....but they can't tie it together.

That is the fallacy of MAGA....it is not, at all, specific.

I'll give you an example.

In 1970, the sales tax in AZ was something like 2.5%. Now it is close to 7.5%. What is that money going to ? Why have we tripled the sales tax ?

The answers are nice and long and boring and we probably all know them.

Whenever I hear a Trump supporter scream "Make America Great Again", I ask them when America stopped being great.

They never seem to have an answer for that one.
For the most part, we took care of ourselves. The United States needed some minerals and such from overseas. We had near everything to build and to live in this nation without worrying about any overseas interference. We exported products to them. And they were ravenous for it. We were a creditor nation. Comparing the living standards from then and today I prefer today with the comforts we have including a cleaner environment. However, most of those people back then knew where they came from and lived with comforts compared to what they had in previous generations or in the old country. They worked hard in that era.

With 8 years of a brown turd, of course the greatness was diminished. Here is Obammy's own words.

Why else would the Secretary for Obammy lose the election in 2016 by a landslide?

you might consider we were great back when we werent 35 trillion in debt and so many laws a person needs a full time lawyer to constantly monitor what new llaws and regulations are being implemented,,

also back when we didnt depend on other countries to provide our essential items like antibiotics and other medicines,, along with most other major manufacturing,,

if a world war broke out now and all imports from china and other hostile countries stopped over noght the war would be over for us,,

and dont get me started on the millions of unvetted military age males from hostile countries walking around with no supervision or knowledge of why they are here,,,,

I do consider those things.

And MAGA would mean a lot more (if you look at my thread on the topic) if it were specfic.

MAGA==> Balanced budget
MAGA==> Debt down 500 Billion per year
MAGA==> Inflation at 2%

Trump should have destroyed Biden with the debt. But he didn't. Trump does not talk about it.

I am grateful to Trump for Gorsuch, Kavenaugh, Barrett.

But I detest his stupid policy of running high deficits. It may have stirred GDP, but he still added 2.7 trillion sans COVID.

On the environment:

MAGA ==> Build 10 nuclear power plants to cut down on coal production
MAGA==> No EV incentives.....its bullcrap
MAGA==> Money for earth day

Not hard at all.

With regards to immigration:

MAGA==> Close down the f**king border.
MAGA==> Assylum claimers go to a huge tent city in Souther AZ/Souther New Mexico and grow their own food and provide for themselves (some infrastructure provided) until cases are cleared up. No just getting in like they do now.
MAGA==> Sanctuary Cities become illegal. Sanctuary cities are essentially nullification efforts and are illegal. Enforce the border with a gun and arrest any American who gets in the way.
MAGA==> Hang illegals who committ murders or rape

Not hard at all.

Last edited:
I do consider those things.

And MAGA would mean a lot more (if you look at my thread on the topic) if it were specfic.

MAGA==> Balanced budget
MAGA==> Debt down 500 Billion per year
MAGA==> Inflation at 2%

Trump should have destroyed Biden with the debt. But he didn't. Trump does not talk about it.

I am grateful to Trump for Gorsuch, Kavenaugh, Barrett.

But I detest his stupid policy of running high deficits. It may have stirred GDP, but he still added 2.7 trillion sans COVID.

On the environment:

MAGA ==> Build 10 nuclear power plants to cut down on coal production
MAGA==> No EV incentives.....its bullcrap
MAGA==> Money for earth day

Not hard at all.
you asked I answered,, and even agreed,,

now the problem is getting politicians to solve the problems,,

will trump solve them all??

HELL NO HE WONT because POTUS cant solve them, that takes all of government,,

but at least hes talking about it and in some cases working towards that end with trade agreements and trying to bring manufacturing back home,,

and lets not forget the no new wars,,

Forum List

Back