A record-setting blizzard killed 75,000 cows and you might not have even heard about

Oh. And you just AUTOMATICALLY assume global warming is to blame.

Well, it's easier than thinking, I suppose.

Not as easy as what you do here.

Do you think increasing the Earth's average temperature (land, air and water) will have no effect on weather? Yes or no please.
Your question presupposes the temperature is increasing.

It's not.

Nor is weather getting more extreme.

I am speaking of the Earth's temperature since the beginning of the Industrial Revolution. Since that point in time it most definitely has increased in temperature. So, once again, do you believe that will have an effect on weather? Yes or no please.

Do you think increasing the Earth's average temperature (land, air and water) will have no effect on weather? Yes or no please.

It's not.

I am speaking of the Earth's temperature since the beginning of the Industrial Revolution. Since that point in time it most definitely has increased in temperature. So, once again, most,do you believe that will have an effect on weather? Yes or no please.

Thank goodness as the advent of the Industrial Revolution roughly coincided with the end of the last "Little Ice Age" that caused far more deaths, suffering, and harm to millions than global warming has ever caused. And the Earth has been slowly warming ever since as the Earth always does at the end of an ice age, large or small. So far as the health of most plants, most animals, and humankind goes, warmer is definitely better everywhere than is cold.

Last edited:

It's not.

I am speaking of the Earth's temperature since the beginning of the Industrial Revolution. Since that point in time it most definitely has increased in temperature. So, once again, most,do you believe that will have an effect on weather? Yes or no please.

Thank goodness as the advent of the Industrial Revolution roughly coincided with the end of the last "Little Ice Age" that caused far more deaths, suffering, and harm to millions than global warming has ever caused. And the Earth has been slowly warming ever since as the Earth always does at the end of an ice age, large or small. So far as the health of most plants, most animals, and humankind goes, warmer is definitely better everywhere than is cold.

The suffering and deaths inflicted by the Little Ice Age would be exceedingly lessened by technological developments since the late 1700s: artificial heating and dramatically improved insulation and protective clothing.

Also, The Earth has NOT "been slowly warming". The rate of temperature increase we have undergone in the last 150 years has not occurred in hundreds, if not thousands, of millenia. That is the biggest part of the problem: this change is coming on too quickly for humans to adapt and compensate - particularly due to a laggard response brought on by the urging of folks such as yourself.

It's not.

I am speaking of the Earth's temperature since the beginning of the Industrial Revolution. Since that point in time it most definitely has increased in temperature. So, once again, do you believe that will have an effect on weather? Yes or no please.

Well, since we were emerging from the Little Ice Age at that time......I guess you could say, yes, we are warmer. But we still aren't as warm as it was in the MWP. And now, based on solar data, it looks like we are sinking back into another cold phase.

The suffering and deaths inflicted by the Little Ice Age would be exceedingly lessened by technological developments since the late 1700s: artificial heating and dramatically improved insulation and protective clothing.

Also, The Earth has NOT "been slowly warming". The rate of temperature increase we have undergone in the last 150 years has not occurred in hundreds, if not thousands, of millenia. That is the biggest part of the problem: this change is coming on too quickly for humans to adapt and compensate - particularly due to a laggard response brought on by the urging of folks such as yourself.

Yeah, it would be if you clowns weren't making energy so expensive that old people can't afford it. And no, your hysteria aside, we are SLOWLY warming... well, we were. Now it appears we are poised for a long descent into cold again. And that will truly suck.

Yes, winter arrived early and harsh for those folks. The same occurred in South America as well. The Farmers Almanac said it would be a harsh one. So far they are being proven correct.

Yesterday my ex- neighbor sent me birthday greetings and this picture..
Landsberg am Lech, Bavaria Germany ( 1/2 hour drive from the Octoberfest):
tzzy.jpg

Last year they also had a brutal winter. Early snow and record low temps that hung in there well into spring.
Bavaria is starting to look more and more like Manitoba.

Aren't there parts of Bavaria that are SUPPOSED to look like Manitoba in the fall/winter?

Really looking forward to YOUR prediction for Winter in Canada.. Can you still dig for worms?
:lol:

Last edited:

It's not.

IT WOULD if it got high enough.. Right now,, it's a testable hypothesis.. Go look at the Cyclonic Index for AMO PDO cycles. Convieniently gives you about a +/-0.5degC swing in SSTemp.

So no --- not TODAY. Not during Sandy nor Katrina --- despite the best efforts of the doomsayers to jump the gun and DEMAND a virgin sacrifice..

And the effect would be marginal because most weather factors work off GRADIENTS not absolute temps.. Just be damn hot and muggy.. Kinda like Gulf Coast Florida.

The only population that would devasted would be Californians who absolutely panic whenever it drizzles.. Couldn't ever handle a thunderstorm. THey'd all drown looking up like turkeys..

Last edited:
Having grown up in Western South Dakota I can say that blizzards like this are fairly common in early Spring, but very unusual in early October.

Having grown up in Western South Dakota I can say that blizzards like this are fairly common in early Spring, but very unusual in early October.

Combo of your avi and that OMINOUS comment kinda panicked me just then...

So Daveman:

Why is it the Weather Channel had 12 people on the Gulf Coast last week in raincoats looking for any shred of a tropical depression, and a FLEET of tornado chase vehicles (some now wrecked)) ----- but they can't send TWO PEOPLE to the upper plains to cover the aftermath of this significant event?

I'm gonna go watch and see what they got..

So Daveman:

Why is it the Weather Channel had 12 people on the Gulf Coast last week in raincoats looking for any shred of a tropical depression, and a FLEET of tornado chase vehicles (some now wrecked)) ----- but they can't send TWO PEOPLE to the upper plains to cover the aftermath of this significant event?

that was a crazy weather event

blizzards in the western part of the state

F-4 tornadoes in the eastern part

91 had a big storm on October 31 eastern part of the state

i lived in Minnesota then

started out as ice turned to snow

lots of long lasting power outages

It's not.

IT WOULD if it got high enough.. Right now,, it's a testable hypothesis.. Go look at the Cyclonic Index for AMO PDO cycles. Convieniently gives you about a +/-0.5degC swing in SSTemp.

So no --- not TODAY. Not during Sandy nor Katrina --- despite the best efforts of the doomsayers to jump the gun and DEMAND a virgin sacrifice..

And the effect would be marginal because most weather factors work off GRADIENTS not absolute temps.. Just be damn hot and muggy.. Kinda like Gulf Coast Florida.

The only population that would devasted would be Californians who absolutely panic whenever it drizzles.. Couldn't ever handle a thunderstorm. THey'd all drown looking up like turkeys..

Perhaps that's why, twice, I used the aux verb "will".

Yes, winter arrived early and harsh for those folks. The same occurred in South America as well. The Farmers Almanac said it would be a harsh one. So far they are being proven correct.

First of all its not winter, its still Fall.

Meanwhile in Maine?

PORTLAND, Maine — The state’s largest city and the most northern city in the state both saw record-high temperatures Monday, meteorologist Margaret Curtis of the National Weather Service office in Gray said Monday evening.

Portland reached a high of 59 degrees, surpassing its previous record for the date of 53 by noontime, meteorologist Tom Hawley said shortly afterward. Caribou’s new record high of 52 was set Monday afternoon, Curtis said.

Warmest October on the North Eastern Coast I ever r
remember

Yeah, it would be if you clowns weren't making energy so expensive that old people can't afford it. And no, your hysteria aside, we are SLOWLY warming... well, we were. Now it appears we are poised for a long descent into cold again. And that will truly suck.

The warming rate of the last 150 years is 20 times either the warming rate going into the MWP or the cooling rate going into the LIA. If you have something different to contend, I suggest you come up with some evidence. I think everyone here has seen at least one of the many variants on the hockey stick diagram. If the rates were similar, it wouldn't be much of a hockey stick, would it. More of a shillelagh.

Last edited:

It's not.

Again, you're making the assumption that Man is causing the increase in temperature...well, except for the last 17 or so years, when the temp hasn't increased.

We can have a discussion about this, but your dishonest attempts to stack the deck preclude any discussion.

And why did you edit out the link that shows the weather isn't getting more extreme? Your willful ignorance has no bearing on reality.

So Daveman:

Doesn't fit the narrative, apparently.

Again, you're making the assumption that Man is causing the increase in temperature...well, except for the last 17 or so years, when the temp hasn't increased.

I do make that assumption, but it has no bearing on the current topic or the question I'm trying to get you to answer. I simply want to know whether or not you believe that increasing temperatures will affect the severity of our weather. I said nothing about the cause of the increase.

We can have a discussion about this, but your dishonest attempts to stack the deck preclude any discussion.

I have not been the least bit dishonest. Let's stay away from the insults, particularly those for which no evidence exists.

And why did you edit out the link that shows the weather isn't getting more extreme? Your willful ignorance has no bearing on reality.

I cut out a great deal of the conversation, on both sides. As I said three times now, I am asking you whether or not you believe increasing temperatures WILL increase the severity of our weather. Do you understand? I am using future tense because I want to know what you think could happen in the future.

I do make that assumption, but it has no bearing on the current topic or the question I'm trying to get you to answer. I simply want to know whether or not you believe that increasing temperatures will affect the severity of our weather. I said nothing about the cause of the increase.

I have not been the least bit dishonest. Let's stay away from the insults, particularly those for which no evidence exists.

I cut out a great deal of the conversation, on both sides. As I said three times now, I am asking you whether or not you believe increasing temperatures WILL increase the severity of our weather. Do you understand? I am using future tense because I want to know what you think could happen in the future.
Sheesh.

Okay, I'll play your silly little game.

An increase in temperature may indeed increase the severity of weather.

Given that the last little ice age triggered massive crop failures, famine, and terrible hardship upon large populations of the world, such a phenomenon is not what any of us should be wishing on the world. Except where there is extreme desert, however, some of the planet's most lush vegetation and most diverse animal life exists in areas that boast the Earth's warmest climates.

The conclusion should be that if we must choose between unusual warmth and unusual cold, warm is better. Longer growing seasons are definitely a plus in feeding an exploding global population. The more warm it naturally is, the less fossil fuel is necessary to keep us all warm.

It is a fact that the true hockey stick is the population growth. In 1700 there were not a billion people on Earth and now there are more than 7 billion people on Earth. So it is reasonable to believe human activity has had some effect on our environment and climate.

What the scientists really have not shown, however, is that the very small amount of human induced warming has been detrimental to us or will be. At least some scientists theorize that human acivity may in fact be a plus by offsetting some of the cyclical return to a colder, less hospitable climate.

Ice In The Greenhouse: Earth May Be Cooling, Not Warming

Last edited:

Sheesh.

Okay, I'll play your silly little game.

An increase in temperature may indeed increase the severity of weather.

Thank you.

Forum List

Back